• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•01-03•16 - Tarzan-a-doodoo can't Purge Dory, BFG = BOMBA FAIL GOOSE-EGG

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

So what are the chances of dory making a billion

Pretty good given what the domestic total will end up being.

It looks like Dory is taking a decent size hit from Secret Life of Pets though. Rth is saying $6-7M for Friday, which would only be a 2-19% or less increase over Thursday, and probably a >50% drop for the weekend, given last Sunday was inflated.

Toy Story 3 made $6.5M in its fourth Friday for comparison.

Pepboy

Say whatever you want about Warcraft, but that is much better than a lot here thought. I knew it would do well internationally, but not this well.

I thought it was the best 'summer flik' I saw this summer. More enjoyable than civil war, by far.

The characters they wrote are what sold it for me. They each had depth and motivations for why they do what they do. And sometimes these motivations clash, even for characters on the same 'side'. There were also unexpected twists, because they played with genre or cultural cliches. Even though it was setting up a sequel, I felt it had a complete arc. I'm pretty excited to see more.

Azerth

Pretty good given what the domestic total will end up being.

It looks like Dory is taking a decent size hit from Secret Life of Pets though. Rth is saying $6-7M for Friday, which would only be a 2-19% or less increase over Thursday, and probably a >50% drop for the weekend, given last Sunday was inflated.

Toy Story 3 made $6.5M in its fourth Friday for comparison.

oh ok cool. thanks

Raxus

Came back from pets and theaters were pretty packed all things considered. Illumination has a knack for making catnip for kids. Kids fucking LOVED it. It was an okay movie.

Tarzan was decent. It's nothing I'll really revisit much, but Yates' direction was solid and it had some alright but fun action.

Over ten years, and no tag. And first avatar bet and I lost it.

I've had two, both of which I've enjoyed. It can make film convos a bit shitty sometimes as you'll run into someone who doesn't have an argument so will resort to my tag as ammo, but it's mostly been amusing. I don't mind it, or mind being positive.

Note I said I thought Tarzan was decent, harmless fun. Not calling it a great movie :p it's not some bad thing though. I can see families really enjoying it.

Stick to the fringes. Don't rock boats. Just blend in with the crowd and don't get noticed.
I sound like a serial killer now.
tumblr_li2ud5V3DP1qbdzeqo1_500.gif

kswiston

Stick to the fringes. Don't rock boats. Just blend in with the crowd and don't get noticed.
I sound like a serial killer now.

Haha. I'm a member of the decade plus no tag/no bans club, so not many rocked boats here either.

Tarzan has a $4.5M lead on Indepedence Day after its first week. Most of that will probably get eaten up by Monday, but I still think it would be funny to see Tarzan over ID4R domestic given expectations going into the summer sessions.

Haha. I'm a member of the decade plus no tag/no bans club, so not many rocked boats here either.

Tarzan has a $4.5M lead on Indepedence Day after its first week. Most of that will probably get eaten up by Monday, but I still think it would be funny to see Tarzan over ID4R domestic given expectations going into the summer sessions.
Only one ban. A pic I linked in a Roger Ebert thread of all places went to goatse. Served my one month ban and couldn't participate in Lost finale talks. That is my only sin.

And it will be funny to see Tarzan surpass ID4R domestic. Who the hell saw that coming?

kswiston

Rth narrowed Pets' Friday to $38-39.5M

I'd guess $95-105M for the weekend if that holds, depending on how frontloaded Friday is.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Secret Life of Pets - $38.3M
2) Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $6.7M
3) Finding Dory - $6.3M - $409M total
4) The Legend of Tarzan - $6.1M - $67M total
5) The Purge: Election Year - $4.0M - $50M total
6) Central Intelligence - $2.4M - $103M total
7) The BFG - $2.4M - $34M total
8) Independence Day Resurgence - $2.2M - $86M total
9) The Shallows - $1.5M - $43M total
10) Sultan - $680k

johnny956

Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Secret Life of Pets - $38.3M
2) Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $6.7M
3) Finding Dory - $6.3M - $409M total
4) The Legend of Tarzan - $6.1M - $67M total
5) The Purge: Election Year - $4.0M - $50M total
6) Central Intelligence - $2.4M - $103M total
7) The BFG - $2.4M - $34M total
8) Independence Day Resurgence - $2.2M - $86M total
9) The Shallows - $1.5M - $43M total
10) Sultan - $680k

Purge is making bank based on its budget. $10 million wasn't it?

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) The Secret Life of Pets - $103.2M
2) Finding Dory - ??? (likely $21-22M)
3) The Legend of Tarzan - $21.6M (-46%) - $81M total
4) Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $6.7M
5) The Purge: Election Year - $11.7M (-63%) - $57M total
6) Central Intelligence - $8.1M - $108M total
7) The BFG - ???
8) Independence Day Resurgence - $7.7M - $91M total

No Disney numbers yet

Tarzan will end up in the $125M range domestically. It's currently $13M ahead of Pacific Rim after a similar opening weekend. Pacific Rim finished at $102M.

Tarzan now has a 100% chance of topping ID4R domestically.

3N16MA

Banned
Illumination Entertainment DOM:

- Biggest opening for an original animated film
- All of their films have had a production budget of 76M or less
- 4 of their 6 films have opened to 70M or more
- Two 100M+ openings (DM2 opened on a Wednesday but would have had a 100M+ OW)
- On pace for three 300M+ films and four 250M+ films

kswiston

Tarzan is sitting at about $135M worldwide, with China, Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Japan, and some smaller territories left to open in later this month.

I'd guess an eventual $300M+ worldwide is in the cards. Maybe more depending on China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom