• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•01-03•16 - Tarzan-a-doodoo can't Purge Dory, BFG = BOMBA FAIL GOOSE-EGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this and Sing confused. Doesn't help that neither of them look particularly inspired. I've also seen a trailer for something called Storks recently, and that looked like a hot mess. It's getting to a point where I'm just not interested in animated stuff that's not from Disney.
When I first read this I thought it said Snorks.
latest

They should have kept the narrative tighter and went with Arthas's story

I have read in places that Jones pitched that and Blizzard said no. There was also the Sam Raimi version where the orcs would have been clear villains, again Blizz stepped in and Sam ran for the hills.

I have this and Sing confused. Doesn't help that neither of them look particularly inspired. I've also seen a trailer for something called Storks recently, and that looked like a hot mess. It's getting to a point where I'm just not interested in animated stuff that's not from Disney.

Outside of How to Train Your Dragon I can't think of the last time I was interested in a non-Disney Animation/Pixar animated film. And that was over 6 years ago now... and was from the directors of one of my favorite Disney films...

Finaj

I have read in places that Jones pitched that and Blizzard said no. There was also the Sam Raimi version where the orcs would have been clear villains, again Blizz stepped in and Sam ran for the hills.

Actually, Jones just wants to do his Warcraft trilogy and end it off with
the Orcs finding their home.

If Arthas ever gets films, he said he wants to watch them as a fan.

Actually, Jones just wants to do his Warcraft trilogy and end it off with
the Orcs finding their home.

If Arthas ever gets films, he said he wants to watch them as a fan.

I get the feeling that he wouldn't even want to direct a second film in his own trilogy at this point.

We'll see. If they do greenlight a sequel without Jones I think a lot would be lost. What I enjoyed out of it was how earnest it felt and how it seemed like it was really made by a big fan of the universe.

Finaj

I get the feeling that he wouldn't even want to direct a second film in his own trilogy at this point.

We'll see. If they do greenlight a sequel without Jones I think a lot would be lost. What I enjoyed out of it was how earnest it felt and how it seemed like it was really made by a big fan of the universe.

He still seems enthusiastic about it. Whether or not the first film has made enough for a sequel, however, is yet to be seen.

It's certainly not getting a director's cut (which is a shame).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Grillo must be making bank on the Purge movie. There's no way he isnt getting a decent percentage of the box office if the entire budget was 10 million.

kswiston

Secret Life of Pets made $5.3M in Thursday previews. Third highest ever after Dory and Minions for an animated film. Tracking is now $80-90M for the weekend.

Mike and Dave made $1.6M in previews

3N16MA

Banned
Secret Life of Pets made $5.3M in Thursday previews. Third highest ever after Dory and Minions for an animated film. Tracking is now $80-90M for the weekend.

Great start for Pets. I think 80M+ is all but locked up unless something weird happens.

It will be interesting to see how high it can go because 5.3M can lead it anywhere from 80M to 100M depending on how front loaded the weekend it.

This confirms that Illumination has taken the mantle from DreamWorks as the real box office competition for Pixar/Disney Animation.

Crazy number for Pets. The 6PM start time for previews kind of skews things in regards to comparisons, but a similar multiplier to Minions would put it at $98M. Given that was a sequel, I think Pets is breaking $100M.

Ghostbusters is going to have a very difficult time opening to #1.

3N16MA

Banned
- Talking animals
- Those talking animals are pets
- Kids love their pets
- Plenty of families with pets

Illumination checking all the boxes.

mreddie

Illumination finally breaking from the Minions. If the Comcast/Dreamworks deal goes through, Universal will just use them for Shrek 6.

3N16MA

Banned
Illumination finally breaking from the Minions. If the Comcast/Dreamworks deal goes through, Universal will just use them for Shrek 6.

Chris Meledandri (Illumination founder/CEO) has been put in charge of both Illumination and DreamWorks Animation.

On a side note

The production budget of Pets was 75M which makes it 6 consecutive films with a budget of 76M or less. The total budget of their 6 films (outside marketing) is less than 500M.

mreddie

Chris Meledandri (Illumination founder/CEO) has been put in charge of both Illumination and DreamWorks Animation.

On a side note

The production budget of Pets was 75M which makes it 6 consecutive films with a budget of 76M or less. The total budget of their 6 films (outside marketing) is less than 500M.

Wow, that's something. DWA has been faltering lately, yeah, they do have good movies but Fox has been marketing them poorly. Doesn't help the sequels are having long gaps.

It's really weird that we don't see more of them. Like only a few a year really.

There are a lot of them, it's just due to violence/subject matter, company preference, or inability to get interest, most of them go straight to video or the Syfy channel instead of ending up in theaters. Once in a blue moon one will float to the surface and have a brief stint in theaters (like It Follows) where it exceeds expectations in every way

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Gotta say, this has been my dryest blockbuster summer in years. Last big budget movie I saw in the cinema was Civil War.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I couldn't get over how the Secret Life of Pets trailer looked like a Toy Story greatest hits compilation, just hotswapping pets in for toys.

It's getting to a point where I'm just not interested in animated stuff that's not from Disney.
Laika is great. Really looking forward to Kubo and the Two Strings.

I'm always looking forward to seeing what Aardman is up to, and I think their future is bright after partnering with StudioCanal, since they're much happier to let Aardman do what Aardman does best, unlike the past American collaborations.

3N16MA

Banned
Deadline is saying $35-36M Friday for Secret Life of Pets vased on early numbers

That is on par with IO Friday number (excluding previews). Looks like it could take the crown as the biggest opening for an original animated film.

Universal has to be loving Illumination. Small budgets and big numbers.

3N16MA

Banned
Rth update: $39-44M for Pets. Even that low-end puts $100M in play.

My 83-86M prediction about be blown away. IO record going down.

If you take the middle number between 39-44 (41.5) and give the weekend the same drops as Minions you end up at 104M.

Looks like 300M DOM is in play.

What the hell is the BFG. I look at the poster and figure it stands for the big fucking guy.

I have never heard of this movie until just now.

3N16MA

Banned
The marketing was SOOO smart, too.

"all new Minions short film, ONLY before secret life of pets"

I think the whole concept was just a winning formula from a marketing standpoint (I haven't seen the film so I can't comment on quality).

The title was perfect, there are plenty of pet owners who will see this without kids, plenty of families with pets, they marketed the hell out of it.

Universal seems to be able to market their last few animated films at insane levels. They plastered Pets on everything as much as Dory.

3N16MA

Banned
Now we have to see if Moana and Sing both do big numbers later this year.

It would be crazy to see 5 animated films hit 300M+ DOM in the same year. Only 9 of them have done that prior to this year.

gatti-man

I think he'd do it just to give the universe another shot with a better idea of how to get a good movie out the door. Warcraft did a lot right and a lot wrong. If I was him I'd want another chance to get it all right.

kswiston

Friday is going to be more frontloaded for Pets than is typically the case due to summer weekdays.

Despicable Me 1 increases with a $39M Friday would be $103M ignoring that some of that $39M was Thursday night since I can't find info on whether DM1 had midnight previews.

Minions increases with a $39M Friday would be about $98M

If Rth's range is right, $100M will probably happen for pets.

Since Deadpool we have basically had one mega hit every 3-4 weeks and not much else in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom