• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Booted up Steam for time in months and checked the new releases....WTF

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Blaming the OP now, amazing.

All hail steam our lord and savior,

It's not even a matter of "now". And yes, keep flagging that fanboy flag. I guess that is the only way you could have a stand in this argument.

And while I'm not directing this to OP - there are many, many things that you can pretty much attribute to user fault. so yes

FYI there's a thing in the internet that pretty much stores relevant searches you made that whenever you search, you'll see things you like to see much earlier

But being clueless wouldn't stop me from wondering around the store, in fact, I would be curious about how it works, and so far it looks like it is in;

New releases, scroll down a bit, new releases.

I don't think that counts as buried

The "clueless gamer" would only see that place after clicking so much, from all the buried links (which are actually small), nevermind that apparently the newest and trending isn't really the same.

Micael

Why are you folks debating whether it is at the front page in your pc or not? Is it not enough the fact that a game called SUICIDE SIMULATOR (and ISIS SIMULATOR to boot) is available to be purchased in Steam to raise alarm and concern?

Yaps, it is indeed a huge cause for concern, I am a strong supporter of Jack Thompson idea that video games influence people into committing actions that are presented in the game, and in fact serve as training material to do such a thing, it is why the steam top sellers list is so absolutely disgusting to watch, all those games about murdering people, we should ban them all.

Joking aside, because seriously outside of it being almost assuredly a shitty game, I really would love to see the argument for why the very idea of those games existing is wrong, but the countless games revolving around violence are ok, I mean ISIS Simulator judging by the description is a game about killing terrorists, that is pretty much AAA entire output of shooters for quite a few years, so outside of some click bait title, what exactly are we truly opposing here?

Pretty sure nobody could think about a game that satirizes on suicide could make it, even with the common thing you mentioned, Im just saying that, get to read what I had wrote

I would think a game in the veins of Surgeon Simulator (a satirical game about fucking up during surgery and letting people die) could work.

Heck. Suicide Circle, a japanese "black comedy" movie about Suicide with over-the-top death scenes worked pretty well.

Zephyx

A few things, I get your point and I agree, those are the risks to have an open storefront, however I dont think is ethical or cool to Valve to put this without examine the product first, which that could be the easiest solution, a quick human glimpse over the product to see thats the premise, the gameplay and the media content in that.

It will allow maybe adult stuff like PUBG or even erotic games but stuff like direct games about abuse, real world violence and such not to have a place in the store, is maybe not perfect but is the only thing I could think

https://i.imgur.com/rTwyynE.png

Maybe this button not being in the final part of the side bar of the store page could help too

What if the human glimpsing that content approves the said game because it passes his standard? We would now be having a discussion about that because Valve hired an "incompetent" person that doesn't meet your standard that maybe met mine. It's a hard thing to do especially since that glimpse is very subjective.

Also, that human glimpse can also be done by you, the consumer. You can play the game and see what it's about, decide if it passes your ethical standard and refund or keep it depending on your experience. You can also decide to report it which I do not know how is handled on Valve's end and hope for the best.

I think if the game doesn't break the TOS of the storefront, then it's up to the consumer whether he wants to buy it or not. You are empowered to control what you can see or buy in the store, use that power to provide yourself the best experience while doing so.

MUnited83

For you.
Well I suppose each of us approach and consider topics like suicide differently.
The game "Suicide Simulator" has as much "Suicide Simulation" has any other FPS ever released in the market. It's nothing but a edgy name to justify a empty asset dump map where you can't do anything.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yaps, it is indeed a huge cause for concern, I am a strong supporter of Jack Thompson idea that video games influence people into committing actions that are presented in the game, and in fact serve as training material to do such a thing, it is why the steam top sellers list is so absolutely disgusting to watch, all those games about murdering people, we should ban them all.

Joking aside, because seriously outside of it being almost assuredly a shitty game, I really would love to see the argument for why the very idea of those games existing is wrong, but the countless games revolving around violence are ok, I mean ISIS Simulator judging by the description is a game about killing terrorists, that is pretty much AAA entire output of shooters for quite a few years, so outside of some click bait title, what exactly are we truly opposing here?

I suppose ISIS Simulator is not really an issue although an argument can be made perhaps that it can reinforce the sentiment of "Muslims = Evil" and it does so in a way that is overly blatant way.

Suicide simulator though... I don't know. It just seems crass, at the same level imo with games like RapePlay.

Micael

I don’t see how a game that has a premise of you being sucidal and finding a means to kill yourself is acceptable for sale. Some depressed kid searches suicide on Steam and this is what they see. This is allowed on Steam, and I don’t agree with that.

That reminds me of that one time where my father needed surgery, I searched steam for surgery, decided to give surgery simulator a go and then did surgery on my father, long story short he is dead now.

Suicide simulator though... I don't know. It just seems crass, at the same level imo with games like RapePlay.

The only shocking thing about that game is the name.

If you check out the video the game just seems to be how you can kill yourself in any AAA videogame.

Light yourself on fire.
Jump from a cliff.
Run into a grenade.

All the stuff I can do in any Open World game if I want to do that or in a FPS.

luulubuu

I would think a game in the veins of Surgeon Simulator (a satirical game about fucking up during surgery and letting people die) could work.

Heck. Suicide Circle, a japanese "black comedy" movie about Suicide with over-the-top death scenes worked pretty well.

I guess thats about right unless you take the consideration that Surgeon Simulator is a joke game that is about fucking up while trying to perform a surgery, in SS you have the following premise

You are alone on a beach with suicidal thoughts, there is nothing left for you in this world. End your life using a variety of different tools and methods.

It starts bad and its a tasteless joke, I think, by my own standards, thats fucked up

And Suicide Circle is about mocking pop culture and the media, still, not the same premise.

Is a shitty game on steam, is not the point of the subject, is how this could get a pass and how it would be better adressed, that's it, I think

MUnited83

For you.
Problem is when you prioritize the right over free market with common and basic decency and wont give any solutions just going on circles forever about the open storefront thing and never adress the thing that valve gets profit out of it

Pretty sure nobody could think about a game that satirizes on suicide could make it, even with the common thing you mentioned, Im just saying that, get to read what I had wrote

Either clever cut in the whole statement, at least Im not taking personal offense in this, which is pretty sad in my opinion
header.jpg

This one is not only a good game, it also is already confirmed to get console ports.

emKXFHA.png

At main page scroll down to new and trending

I can't find a list that looks like this. The tabs on mine are New and Trending, Top Sellers, Upcoming and Specials. Also, the area to the right is populated with the first game on the list's screenshots. I also can't find any setting that would let me change these tabs. Very odd.

FinalAres

I'm not specifically "defending" Steam.
I'm championing a philosophy of user choice over dictated decisions.

I should specifically say what I have an issue with. I don't have an issue with anyone disagreeing with the OP. Having a different opinion is fine! I'm somewhat conflicted about the issue.

What I do have an issue with is those people discrediting the OP for 'using steam wrong' rather than addressing the issue itself.

I guess thats about right unless you take the consideration that Surgeon Simulator is a joke game that is about fucking up while trying to perform a surgery, in SS you have the following premise

I know its a bad game and the premise of that game is just "kill yourself". How you do it in that game though is not different from any other AAA game.

And Suicide Circle is about mocking pop culture and the media, still, not the same premise.

A lot of people watched it because of the over-the-top gore though and didnt really get what Sono wanted to express. At least thats my experience from people I talked to.
Similar to Braindead.

luulubuu

Oh yeah, I agree with this a lot, we users have the ability to perfom this on our own, problem is tag system is not perfect either, you could be muting some content you might want in the future if this games are labeled under some general tags like "first person shooter" or "Comedy"

And yeah, errors could happen in a human moderation system, I said several times that is not the perfect system and I don't think I have an idea in this how could be avoided or at least adressed later.

another snip.

Sorry, I won't discuss other games or movies that are not related to the subject by any means and I already stated what I think of the game OP mentioned, that's about it.

This is like the reverse of that thread about forgetting PlayStation Plus exists. A lot of the same people and everything. Huh.

lRnkvHp.png

I'm somewhat alarmed that I'm getting some weeby visual novel, but you have to go out of your way to find shovelware.

But please keep complaining that a corporation isn't telling you what games you should and shouldn't play.

bugulu

I don't really see the issue with ISIS Simulator but the Suicide Simulator is just done out of being edgy and controversial. People with suicidal thoughts can get "inspired" by taking in news and even playing games with that theme and then commit the deed themselves. I believe the correct term is "Copycat suicide".

Where I live, Sweden, the media is more or less strictly forbidden to write about suicides unless it's a public figure. When you watch the news and see that the train has yet again been delayed because of an "accident", you can be assured that in most cases, someone has jumped in front of the train.

So creating a game called Suicide Simulator just shows how bad taste the developer has. Or the developer is doing it because of them knowing the attention it would spark.

Why are you folks debating whether it is at the front page in your pc or not? Is it not enough the fact that a game called SUICIDE SIMULATOR (and ISIS SIMULATOR to boot) is available to be purchased in Steam to raise alarm and concern?

Thank you!!!

I came into this thread, read the OP and expected to see 3 pages of people debating why a game called "suicide simulator" should even be allowed to exist (alongside its developer's previous game).

I am disappoint, PC Gaf.

I don't really see the issue with ISIS Simulator but the Suicide Simulator is just done out of being edgy and controversial. People with suicidal thoughts can get "inspired" by taking in news and even playing games with that theme and then commit the deed themselves. I believe the correct term is "Copycat suicide".

They throw a grenade on the floor and then kill themselves?

The "gameplay" in Suicide Simulator judging by the video is everything you have in AAA games or almost every other game.

Thank you!!!

I came into this thread, read the OP and expected to see 3 pages of people debating why a game called "suicide simulator" should even be allowed to exist (alongside its developer's previous game).

I am disappoint, PC Gaf.

So. What if the developer just calls him game "-" and writes nothing in the description besides "-". The gameplay is the same, shitty unity asset game where you can kill yourself. Would anyone really care? The only thing that stands out is the name.

Not long ago it meant something to have your game on Steam.

Not long ago it meant also not having Visual Novels, Stardew Valley, Cook Serve Delicious or other japanese games on Steam.

Also Isis Simulator isnt a terrorist simulator, but a game where you fight against Isis in a shitty FPS.

Today it means you share space with terrorist simulators and slave tetris.

Steam is garbage, custom curation and filters be damned. The fact that this shit made it onto the store should tell you something.

Just me, but I stopped using steam a long time ago. I understand the boundary of "eye of the beholder", but when you skunk common decency for FUCKING SLAVE TETRIS then it's time to pack it up.

I'm quite happy buying games elsewhere.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is this the weekly "I can't believe THIS is on Steam" thread?

Steam is garbage, custom curation and filters be damned. The fact that this shit made it onto the store should tell you something.

Just me, but I stopped using steam a long time ago. I understand the boundary of "eye of the beholder", but when you skunk common decency for FUCKING SLAVE TETRIS then it's time to pack it up.

I hope you don't use the app store, amazon or itunes either

Zephyx

Oh yeah, I agree with this a lot, we users have the ability to perfom this on our own, problem is tag system is not perfect either, you could be muting some content you might want in the future if this games are labeled under some general tags like "first person shooter" or "Comedy"

And yeah, errors could happen, I said several times that is not the perfect system and I don't think I have an idea in this how could be avoided or at least adressed later.

Then that's what should be improved, yes? Maybe allow the user to create his own tag and tag games he doesn't want to see so any future content is not affected. Or maybe you yourself can find a way to circumvent the issue by playing around the tools provided to you. My solution is not perfect too but mine gives you a choice while the error that can happen in moderation may not.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

What I ask myself when arguments like this are brought up... honest question..

Do you also stop buying books or movies on Amazon or stop using Netflix?

There is really questionable stuff available on both... but yet... nobody would ever expect Amazon to curate all the books or movies that are available to buy through them

meschio94

Neo Member
we have shower with your dad simulator, really, and suicide is the problem here ?

Playing GTA will make me a killer ?

i don't know what is the point here

Micael

While I won't disagree with the idea that the devs are just doing what you say they are doing, because they almost assuredly are, I have to ask if we assume that someone is going to be "inspired" into committing suicide due to a game that deals with suicide, wouldn't logic also dictate that someone might get "inspired" into killing a bunch of people because a game deals with that?
If that is the case wouldn't people like Jack Thompson be right in their desire to remove GTA and the likes from stores?
Is a game about suicide more "inspiring" than a game about murder?

nynt9

Did you know that you can buy white supremacist/alt right books on Amazon? Or a book on how to commit suicide? Or extremely low quality edgy books? Or other items/memorabilia that are racist/shitty/etc? So should we stop using Amazon too? Is it Amazon's responsibility to hand curate the millions of items they carry?

Kayant

I see it as a good thing that I get to decide what games I get to buy, rather than someone else deciding what games are available for me to buy. I'm never going to buy garbage like this, but I don't want someone arbitrarily deciding what games are and aren't available for me to buy. There's the potential for a game I'd enjoy to not make the cut because someone else thinks it looks bad.

Then don't buy it, buy games you think are worth it. Don't try and dictate what games other people buy, stop worrying about it entirely and just ignore the games you don't agree with.
All of this.

The only issue I see here is that things like that should be default to everyone (If it's not already) and should age restricted when it shown up.

MUnited83

For you.

What terrorist simulator? ISIS Simulator, despite the name, has you killing ISIS, not playing as ISIS.
You also won't share space with slave Tetris. There are no games with slave Tetris on the store.

Do feel free to and go to places like GOG, which such amazing curation policies that they constantly refuse good games to get in.

Also here's hoping you never need to buy things from Google Play or Amazon.

luulubuu

I think creating your own tags or having like overall filters could be the thing, really. Or even different profiles with different content aviable for those, Netflix does it.

The thing is not that, however, is that Valve gets a profit, a good one from stuff like this that is not regulated by any means.

nynt9

I think creating your own tags or having like overall filters could be the thing, really. Or even different profiles with different content aviable for those, Netflix does it.

The thing is not that, however, is that Valve gets a profit, a good one from stuff like this that is not regulated by any means.

Just like any other store, like Amazon or eBay or whatever that also carries a shit ton of questionable content.

The thing is, besides the name and the description, what is there in that game that might promote suicide when all you see in the video are several ways to kill yourself like I can do in every GTA, RDR, OW etc.?

Sony sells questionable stuff, but like I said I just wonder why you dont see monthly threads about that here. (blabla whataboutism).

Javier23

Banned
One of my favorite games ever is a game made on RPG Maker by a single dev where you and your sister are kids abused by your father, for which she commits suicide. Fast forward and you're a dude who finds a baby girl and proceeds to drop her on her head. You take care of her til she's a teenager, moment in which your mates kidnap her to presumably rape her, because, what you know, all women have vanished at some point. One of the first things you do in your quest to find her is set a bunch of innocent kids on fire.

Would this game have made the cut elsewhere than Steam? Suffice to say I don't want anyone deciding for me what I should or shouldn't play.

I'm not a sick person. The game is called LISA RPG and has gained a big following, including threads in GAF such as this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097544

I'm sorry you had to see sth called "Suicide Simulator" on the Internet. I'm sure that was prominantly featured and that it ruined your entire day more than anything else you've ever come across by accident. You should probably just stay away from the Steam website, and the Internet as a whole, and just browse PSN where you'll only find the stuff others want you to see and play based purely on public decency and quality, such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=uM523jjrvf4

Ionic

You also won't share space with slave Tetris. There are no games with slave Tetris on the store.

I think he's referring to this game which is meant to be educational, but featured a rather hamfisted attempt at conveying the conditions slaves were kept in when they were brought over to the Americas.

Durante

You're being overtly black and white about this.
My position may appear overtly black and white, but there is a good reason for this. Let me explain.

There are currently many popular game distribution services. Of all of them, Steam is the one which is far better at fulfilling everything I want from such a service than any other offer. In fact, I don't really see a drawback at all to this type of laissez-faire "curation" (or lack thereof) for how I use the service, while I have a very clear idea of the drawbacks of any other option that is currently out there.

So yes, I do see this issue as black or white, because - at this point - no one has demonstrated a "grey" solution which works for me.
If someone were to actually demonstrate this "happy medium" you talk about, then I would have no issue with applauding it.

That the company that you are defending in every single thread gets profit from a game that parodies one of the highest causes of death in the world ? Maybe???
In this context he is defending this practise over the basic ethics and I have seen him in other threads defending Steam no matter what, not so long ago in the review bomb solution thread. So yeah, except me to have some kind of record of what do I expect when talking to him, that's all.
You seem quite upset about something, calm down.

The reason I often end up "defending Steam" in these threads is because the criticism leveled at the platform is commonly poorly thought out, and because Valve's approach to problem solving and their idea of what an ideal platform would be resonates with my own.

What I mean is that yes, I absolutely believe that giving people more information and empowering them to cater their experience to their liking is a far better solution than either censoring games or censoring reviews. This has absolutely nothing to do with it being Valve who is making those decisions, and everything to do with my basic convictions on what makes a good game distribution platform.

Clearly, you have different ideas about that. What I don't understand is why you insist Steam -- the only popular platform which operates in a way I appreciate -- has to change, while there are already tons of platforms out there which operate in the way you prefer.

I think he's referring to this game which is meant to be educational, but features a rather hamfisted attempt at conveying the conditions slaves were kept in when they were brought over to the Americas.

"UPDATE: [/b The game and trailer has been updated. Slave Tetris has been removed as it was perceived to be extremely insensitive by some people."

luulubuu

Arguing about the virtues of a game called Suicide Simulator is hilarious in a medium where things like Kratos kidnapping a half naked, pleading woman and crushing her under a wheel is considered totally acceptable, lmao.

Suicide Simulator wouldn't even make the top 100 most tasteless things I've seen in a "real" game approved by console makers.

Never two negatives will make a positive, the Kratos scene is a pointless, grotesqe and tastless power fantasy that I didn't like it at all.

This is not cool either, however, if you look at the disclaimer in Suicide Simulator

CikIe5r.png

I get this is a joke game, still, a very bad one.

bugulu

They throw a grenade on the floor and then kill themselves?

The "gameplay" in Suicide Simulator judging by the video is everything you have in AAA games or almost every other game.

The main objective of most games created out there isn't to take suicide though.
Yes, you could replicate your analogy in other games but I would be hard-pressed to claim that the main selling point of playing Battlefield is to take suicide. Nor could you call it a car simulator because of there being vehicles in the game.

The same can't be said about Suicide Simulator though. The main selling point of the game is to take suicide. It's even right there in the game description "You are alone on a beach with suicidal thoughts, there is nothing left for you in this world. End your life using a variety of different tools and methods."

Curation means a barrier for a lot of legitimate devs. If it was for this, you wouldn't even be able to buy said games. Heck, you wouldn't even be able to sell your games.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Arguing about the virtues of a game called Suicide Simulator is hilarious in a medium where things like Kratos kidnapping a half naked, pleading woman and crushing her under a wheel is considered totally acceptable, lmao.

Suicide Simulator wouldn't even make the top 100 most tasteless things I've seen in a "real" game approved by console makers.

funny isnt it... gore galore in AAA games is A OK... but edgy assets flips that only get attention through threads like this are the devil cause they have "Suicide" in the name...

thats exactly what the makers of these "games" hope... making a bit of controversy so that people buy the game cause they are afraid that they will get removed .... cause against what some believe here, Valve does remove stuff like this...

Shifty

Problem is when you prioritize the right over free market with common and basic decency and wont give any solutions just going on circles forever about the open storefront thing and never adress the thing that valve gets profit out of it

I do see your point here- the game is egregious enough that the majority of people would likely flag it during a vetting process, but we are indeed going in circles because it comes back to 'common xyz'.
Valve stepping in and introducing vetting means creating company policy, and you can't create policy of any sort (be it corporate, social, etc.) without explicitly outlining what that policy is, which is at odds with anything that is by its nature implicit- common sense, common decency, and so on.

And then you have existing policies becoming outdated due to societal change and dragging down the system while the people inside work to fix them, which isn't a quick process.
For instance; did you know that in the city of York, it's legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls so long as he's carrying a bow and arrow? As a law in 2017 it's silly as hell, but still exists because policy is a messy messy thing.

So TL;DR the community is better at adapting to and weeding out this stuff over time than Valve would be. Granted that doesn't address your point of Valve taking a cut from the sales of a trash game that satirizes suicide outside of saying "it's infeasible, hope the community neuters its sales", but I can't think of a solution that would fix that and still work from Valve's end.

Either clever cut in the whole statement, at least Im not taking personal offense in this, which is pretty sad in my opinion

Uh? I imagine the only people taking personal offense here would be the ones being insulted.

elyetis

NBgLieY.png

I guess I could mute memes and thats it because the rest of the tags are pretty common (maybe not satire)
Should also mute Gore & Violent, because most of the games with those tag most definitely aren't games trying to teach people that violence & killing is bad.

Never two negatives will make a positive, the Kratos scene is a pointless, grotesqe and tastless power fantasy that I didn't like it at all.

This is not cool either, however, if you look at the disclaimer in Suicide Simulator

CikIe5r.png

I get this is a joke game, still, a very bad one.

The point being that it's really silly to argue that Steam is uniquely terrible for not axing goofy joke games while actual curated stores allow and even publish things that are orders of magnitude more disturbing and gratuitous.

Curated stories like PSN and GOG don't give a shit about the actual contents of the game, they care about whether they can make a buck off of it. They'd happily allow Suicide Simulator if you cranked up the gore and graphics so it appeals to God of War fans or whatever. Steam is unique in that they don't arbitrarily axe games based on whether they think it'll turn a profit for them, yet I'm supposed to consider this a bad thing?

luulubuu

Clearly, you have different ideas about that. What I don't understand is why you insist Steam -- the only popular platform which operates in a way I appreciate -- has to change, while there are already tons of platforms out there which operate in the way you prefer.

I'm very calm, thanks for your concern, and I use Steam, not as much now, but I use it, the fact that are other platforms exceem me to properly adress something that concerns me? Why?

And which ones exactly I do prefer and why? Because I had stated several times that I do have concerns about whatever independently if it's a game console, a pc store or whatever. My personal inclinations are not the matter of the subject, either yours.

Top Bottom