• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Wallach

Shick Brithouse said:
Actually it's not, I pulled it out of a red chest, not an online drop. I might be off on the bonus % damage, but it's a level 63 weapon.

The game isn't capable of building a 4-pellet masher. All mashers are x7. :p

HeySeuss

Wallach said:
The game isn't capable of building a 4-pellet masher. All mashers are x7. :p

I'll double check, maybe it is x7 and I'm just remembering wrong. I hope I'm wrong cause I'd feel hollow if it's a modded gun. Coulda swore I pulled it out of Knoxx's Armory. :(

Edit: Yeah, it's a x7. Must've been the SMG I have that I was thinking of.

Gaspode_T

So I have some guns I don't really want to use but they are quest rewards so I don't really want to sell them either, if I want to store them somewhere my understanding is I have to buy some DLC? I only have New Revolution and something else, I guess I probably don't have the one that is needed for this but I just wanted to be sure what I need, it's the Knoxx thing?

Wallach

Shick Brithouse said:
I'll double check, maybe it is x7 and I'm just remembering wrong. I hope I'm wrong cause I'd feel hollow if it's a modded gun. Coulda swore I pulled it out of Knoxx's Armory. :(

Sorry mate. 9xx damage isn't even possible on a masher anyway, especially not one with a 6-shot clip since it wouldn't have the 2-shot clip part's huge damage bonus.

Gaspode_T said:
So I have some guns I don't really want to use but they are quest rewards so I don't really want to sell them either, if I want to store them somewhere my understanding is I have to buy some DLC? I only have New Revolution and something else, I guess I probably don't have the one that is needed for this but I just wanted to be sure what I need, it's the Knoxx thing?

Yeah, they added a bank in Moxxi's Underdome DLC.

HeySeuss

Wallach said:
Sorry mate. 9xx damage isn't even possible on a masher anyway, especially not one with a 6-shot clip since it wouldn't have the 2-shot clip part's huge damage bonus.

Damn you! Now you just blew my mind. I don't remember picking it up online. Oh well, I still like it...lol

Sysgen

Shick Brithouse said:
More powerful, more accurate. I've used them and shotguns primarily the whole game, although I used mostly SMG's until I got to about level 25. I've leveled up my revolver proficiency to the point where my reload times are inhuman. Personally a high damage masher is my favorite, mine is damage 946x4 with 6 shots, with the bonus damage something like 50%.

I guess I haven't seen these really powerful revolvers yet @lvl 36. Just found a 'Give Sick' X4 Corrosive Revolver that does 306 damage but only fires 2 shots. If I respec Mordecai I guess I can get more out of it but the question begs do I need to? I have 2 smgs that are unreal. One does 4X73 damage and 8.3 fire rate and is really powerful but only at close range only because of 27% accuracy. I also have a HellFire 'We don't need no water' smg that is X4 and does 78 damage and on a lot of enemies its like a BBQ.

While I'm at it I feel like I've been using my sniper rifle for an eternity. It only does 220 or so damage but its X4 shock and triggers sufficiently frequent enough to best the 400+ damge rifles I've found. Waiting a while for the next upgrade.

Rocket launchers with elemental damage seem to have pretty good splash damage. I've been using my X4 acid for quite some time on the Crimson guys with stellar results.

Shick Brithouse said:
More powerful, more accurate. I've used them and shotguns primarily the whole game, although I used mostly SMG's until I got to about level 25. I've leveled up my revolver proficiency to the point where my reload times are inhuman. Personally a high damage masher is my favorite, mine is damage 946x4 with 6 shots, with the bonus damage something like 50%.

Indeed. Those things can have sniper like accuracy when in zoom imo plus the elements are icing to the cake.

For me its Combat rifle with Scope and then a Revolver, SMG, then everything else.

Wallach

Sysgen said:
I guess I haven't seen these really powerful revolvers yet @lvl 36. Just found a 'Give Sick' X4 Corrosive Revolver that does 306 damage but only fires 2 shots. If I respec Mordecai I guess I can get more out of it but the question begs do I need to? I have 2 smgs that are unreal. One does 4X73 damage and 8.3 fire rate and is really powerful but only at close range only because of 27% accuracy. I also have a HellFire 'We don't need no water' smg that is X4 and does 78 damage and on a lot of enemies its like a BBQ.

While I'm at it I feel like I've been using my sniper rifle for an eternity. It only does 220 or so damage but its X4 shock and triggers sufficiently frequent enough to best the 400+ damge rifles I've found. Waiting a while for the next upgrade.

Rocket launchers with elemental damage seem to have pretty good splash damage. I've been using my X4 acid for quite some time on the Crimson guys with stellar results.

The revolver you're talking about is a Defiler and is really fantastic. If you're playing Mordecai, his Pistol skills are far and away more powerful than his Sniper skills and specced that way you'll deal quite a lot more damage with pistols/revolvers than any other weapon type. With the revolvers, you only really need to have decent hip firing skill to make that true by a wide margin over any other weapon types. With machine pistols, quite frankly you just need to be able to point the noisy end towards the bad guy's general direction.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
rhfb said:
Rocket Launchers are worthless due to the lack of splash damage :(

The only times I haven't seen a rocket launcher do splash damage is in multiplayer when I'm lagging badly. I very rarely hit anything directly. Need to be really careful with my Redemption because it has a massive splash damage range. It's easy to down myself with that one if I'm not paying attention. Thankfully I can't one shot myself from full health/shields with it anymore.

Never really used rocket launchers before, but with Brick I just have 4 different types of rocket launcher ready to go. A single shot, a triple, a helix and a 4th slot that I rotate between elementals depending on what I'm fighting.

Gaspode_T

I somehow killed Krom from like 5 miles away with a nice rocket launcher without taking a scratch of damage (and without killing any of his cronnies yet either) so they are somehow doing a little bit of splash damage for me, I also used them to deal with some gatling guns from far off.

I blew through Krom's Canyon but now I am getting my butt slightly kicked in Old Haven. Level 31 now, I am using Commander L31 mod I bought for a lot of $$ to upgrade the L22 Commander I was using (Shotgun FTW). When I crit on badass baddies it just mauls them, but now I was having a hard time with the armored guys so I figured out I need to use corrosive weapons there (and it is dropping them by tons)

I actually have circled around Old Haven about 6 or 7 times because I can't seem to find two of the smoke signal things to pull, the indicator on map is obviously not helping me very much because it's in the middle of the street. There is also a claptrap I can't seem to talk to so maybe I'm missing something that changes the level layout.

Ultratech

Gaspode_T said:
I blew through Krom's Canyon but now I am getting my butt slightly kicked in Old Haven. Level 31 now, I am using Commander L31 mod I bought for a lot of $$ to upgrade the L22 Commander I was using (Shotgun FTW). When I crit on badass baddies it just mauls them, but now I was having a hard time with the armored guys so I figured out I need to use corrosive weapons there (and it is dropping them by tons)

I actually have circled around Old Haven about 6 or 7 times because I can't seem to find two of the smoke signal things to pull, the indicator on map is obviously not helping me very much because it's in the middle of the street. There is also a claptrap I can't seem to talk to so maybe I'm missing something that changes the level layout.

Yeah, Old Haven can be tricky since the Crimson Lance don't tend to screw around too much. Definitely want those Corrosive weapons out.

As for the Smoke Signals, the map kinda sucks at telling you where some of them are. It's best to just look for them yourself and just head towards the smoke signals. You should be able to see them if you're looking up.

Mad Moxxi is just frustrating to solo, at least with my Mordecai, so i tagged along with a friend to do it. It still drags on for much too long. Not too fun to do, and the loot is not that good either.

Gaspode_T

Trash Coast spoilers:

OMG I am going to have nightmares about the Rakk Hive thing, although it was surprisingly easy to beat since I was L33 already. I also have been using the Patton gun just because of the nice pop sound it makes when killing the lava crab things. Time to go pick up the claptrap from Old Haven and then on to new adventures? I guess the DLC I have is coming up as "Tough" now, I wonder what order I should do it in

Game is full of awesome

CozMick

Banned
Better late than never but I just ordered the game of the year edition from amazon, should get it tomorrow with Prime.

I have no idea what to expect from this game except from posts in this thread, looks very cool and with the sequel on the horizon it's now a no-brainer imo.

:)

Sysgen

Gaspode_T said:
Trash Coast spoilers:

OMG I am going to have nightmares about the Rakk Hive thing, although it was surprisingly easy to beat since I was L33 already. I also have been using the Patton gun just because of the nice pop sound it makes when killing the lava crab things. Time to go pick up the claptrap from Old Haven and then on to new adventures? I guess the DLC I have is coming up as "Tough" now, I wonder what order I should do it in

Game is full of awesome

This was the most confusing thing for me because it is not clear between the game and the dlc how leveling works. Ultimately it seems that you need to play though a second time and then tackle the dlc. On my second playthrough I'm skipping alot of side quests and making sure that the main quest missions are within 2 levels of my level which places, at least according to the game, the missions on par with my level. The second playthrough also has better weapons and your skill tree is more fleshed out or at least allows for better experimentation with the different class mods due to more skill points. Still I tackled everything on my 1st playthrough of the main game and ignored leveling concerns. From 2 posts in this thread #102 and #104:

You activate the start of PT2.5 or the Dynamic Scaling for the Main Game, Zombie Island and Robot Robolution the moment you enter the Vault in PT2.

You activate the start of PT2.5 or the Dynamic Scaling for General Knoxx when you complete the plot mission "Loot Larceny" in PT2.

If you don't have dlc now then its fine. Do PT1 -> PT2. Once you do get dlcs, start with Knoxx PT2 -> ZI PT2 -> RR PT2. PT1 on the dlc will make you over leveled and thus take the fun out of doing PT2 (and yes you can farm on PT2/2.5 no problem if you use the glitch right). See the newcomere's sticky for more info on leveling. Hope that helps

CozMick said:
Better late than never but I just ordered the game of the year edition from amazon, should get it tomorrow with Prime.

I have no idea what to expect from this game except from posts in this thread, looks very cool and with the sequel on the horizon it's now a no-brainer imo.

:)

Based on reviews I actually scolded a friend for buying this for single player. What I've ultimately found is that Borderlands is one of the best single player games I've ever played and mechanically it's also an incredible first person shooter.

If you're playing this on the PC ensure you change your FOV becuase the default is unplayable. Additionally the FOV will then need to be reset in game when exiting a vehicle. This is the guide that I used.

Effect

How is the story in the game? Figure it should be decent enough if this an RPG/FPS not a straight up FPS. Is it interesting enough that you want to see more of it or is the loot aspect the main drive?

Effect said:
How is the story in the game? Figure it should be decent enough if this an RPG/FPS not a straight up FPS. Is it interesting enough that you want to see more of it or is the loot aspect the main drive?
No, not really. Story is just there as the pins that hold together the quests in a loose fashion. It's closer to an FPS story than to an RPG one.

All you need is loot.

foogles

Effect said:
One thing I want to point out is that Borderlands is, to me, a legitimately funny game, something you don't often see in gaming. I stayed on not just for the FPS action and the loot, but for the lighthearted style. I wanted to know what the name of "Badass" mobs were in Playthrough 2, I wanted to see more of Claptrap, I wanted to hear more logs of General Knoxx giving up on ever seeing success on Pandora, all that stuff. So yeah, I think the story is motivational, as long as you're not looking for true narrative depth.

Wallach said:
The revolver you're talking about is a Defiler and is really fantastic. If you're playing Mordecai, his Pistol skills are far and away more powerful than his Sniper skills and specced that way you'll deal quite a lot more damage with pistols/revolvers than any other weapon type. With the revolvers, you only really need to have decent hip firing skill to make that true by a wide margin over any other weapon types. With machine pistols, quite frankly you just need to be able to point the noisy end towards the bad guy's general direction.

I'd say this depends quite a bit on the gun, as Trespass is probably the most useful skill for him to have. Between my Sniper Rifle and the Assault Rifles/SMG/Machine Pistols, nothing lives.

Anyone else find that the Eridian weapons are a letdown?

Sysgen

Another big point for people coming into the thread late.

BACKUP YOUR SAVE. There is only one save slot (PC at least). Mine corrupted but I had a backup. This was recently also.

I haven't kept one.

benjipwns

Banned
Effect said:
It may not be for everyone, but I recommend checking out the history of Pandora on this wiki page: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Pandora

Originally there were more audio logs and such to tell you about this backstory, but it got in way of the loot so got cut.

I think it adds some flesh to what you see in the descriptions of missions, in the small amounts of conversation and sometimes visually within the ares themselves.

Boombloxer said:
I'd say this depends quite a bit on the gun, as Trespass is probably the most useful skill for him to have. Between my Sniper Rifle and the Assault Rifles/SMG/Machine Pistols, nothing lives.

I just have one on me since its the first one i found in the game. Never really used it in battle (Combat Cobra FTW).

Sysgen

Unicorn said:
haha I see you on, playing BL everyday Sysgen.

You liking it so far? (aside from the save troubles)

One save trouble. No big deal since I have a backup. Wasn't going to do a 2nd play through but it looks like I'll enjoy the dlc more and I'm glad I did. It's not even the loot in the game though that's a big part of it, finding the next best weapon, class mod etc... When you play at or above your level the game is such an awesome challenge and trying not to die and lose a portion of your earnings adds such great tension, and when something doesn't work, the experimentation that the game fosters. The characters, the level design, the open world, the awesome gun play, the weapon variety, the sound, the soundtrack and even the platforming. Hell the game even has squids! What a master production. Yea I'm just all over this and haven't even dabbled in m/p yet. Only problem is between this and Fallout NV I don't play anything else.

Infinite Justice said:
I just have one on me since its the first one i found in the game. Never really used it in battle (Combat Cobra FTW).

I haven't kept one.

Eridian Thunder Storm is the only one I keep with me for Crawermax runs.

Good to know I wasn't the only one.

I like the concept, but the recharge was :/ and often, you couldn't even mow down something fast enough compared to any other high fire-rate weapon.

I think the most satisfying weapons were the Caustic Shotguns or SMGs. Hearing them scream as they were cooked via acid bath was too much fun.

Gaspode_T

Sysgen said:
One save trouble. No big deal since I have a backup. Wasn't going to do a 2nd play through but it looks like I'll enjoy the dlc more and I'm glad I did. It's not even the loot in the game though that's a big part of it, finding the next best weapon, class mod etc... When you play at or above your level the game is such an awesome challenge and trying not to die and lose a portion of your earnings adds such great tension, and when something doesn't work, the experimentation that the game fosters. The characters, the level design, the open world, the awesome gun play, the weapon variety, the sound, the soundtrack and even the platforming. Hell the game even has squids! What a master production. Yea I'm just all over this and haven't even dabbled in m/p yet. Only problem is between this and Fallout NV I don't play anything else.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I'm confused but PT2 is the only way to get to L60?
The game feels like it's winding down because I'm about the get the final piece of the vault key, I just entered the Salt Fields or whatever and I'm still L33.

I actually was kind of rushing to get through this to be able to delete it and work on other games in my backlog LOL, but if I really need to do PT2 and DLC it will take me another 4 or 6 weeks at the pace I play.

I almost died in Old Haven again rushing through trying to get done with a mission quickly. That place is hardcore.

CozMick

Banned
Glad to see the PS3 version of the game of the year edition includes the dlc on the disc.

The meltdowns on gaf when it was announced on 360 to be a code was hilarious (and quite silly).

Effect

Thanks for the responses. If it's genuinely funny that would be nice. Heading out today so if I come across the GOTY edition I'll pick it up. My PC will handle the game just fine but I'd rather have it on the PS3 just so I could relax a bit more. Been playing to many PC games lately.

Wallach

Effect said:
Thanks for the responses. If it's genuinely funny that would be nice. Heading out today so if I come across the GOTY edition I'll pick it up. My PC will handle the game just fine but I'd rather have it on the PS3 just so I could relax a bit more. Been playing to many PC games lately.

One of the few games I genuinely consider funny. Not something I think games tend to do well very often and certainly not lately.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Most used gun types. Character balance.
Mean/Median of reloading at xx% of max ammo capacity.

e.g. 4 shots left in revolver, reload.
25 bullets left in 40 round magazine, reload.

I can't think of anything super interesting off the top of my head.

Sciz

Which elemental types are most popular, which dungeons are run most frequently, what kills players the most/the least... maybe a look at how many people have ever actually gotten pearlescent grade gear.

Sysgen

Think I'm missing something obvious here. I spent all last night playing the General Knox content opening the North and South checkpoints and the game gave me the Prison Break mission at 4 in the morning here :) Had to sleep sometime so I quit the game. Starting it up today the Prison Break mission is there but I'm all the way back to the beginning. I'm sure I must be missing an obvious way to fast travel to where I left off cause surely THE DEVELOPERS would not make me fight my way back to the point I spent hours doing last night.

Wallach

Sysgen said:
Think I'm missing something obvious here. I spent all last night playing the General Knox content opening the North and South checkpoints and the game gave me the Prison Break mission at 4 in the morning here :) Had to sleep sometime so I quit the game. Starting it up today the Prison Break mission is there but I'm all the way back to the beginning. I'm sure I must be missing an obvious way to fast travel to where I left off cause surely the game would not make me fight my way back to the point I spent hours doing last night.

You'd think. They, however, did not.

Sysgen

Wallach said:
You'd think. They, however, did not.

Hmm, well maybe I can run through it. Such a shit design decision though with absolutely no consideration to the player. Perhaps I'll give them the same consideration when I don't buy their next game at release. I'll have to leave the game running until I finish Knoxx and hope that it doesn't fucking crash.

Are the other dlcs like this one in that regard?

Well, fuck it then. I'm done with Knoxx.

Heh, fuck it I'm done with the game. They took all that good will and threw it out the window. There's nothing worse in gaming than finding out you stayed up till 4 am in the morning for nothing.

Effect

Question about the Borderlands GOTY edition. I know that version comes with the DLC. The 360 version had to download the DLC. I assume they supplied a code you had to put in. I know the PS3 version comes with it on the disc. Does that make buying the PS3 version the only viable option if one goes down the used game purchase road? Or do you still have to put in some code to unlock the content?

How is the DLC handled? Is it after the original game or do you have to load an old save?

I believe it adds itself to your existing worlds but I may be wrong. I only checked it from a new character's perspective. But It will show up as a fast travel destination if I recall. You can essentially go to it at any time, but all the DLC stuff is level 35 and up so good luck trying to noob your way through it.

elfinke

Log4Girlz said:
Oh wow this thread is huuuuuge. Damn, I'm tempted to pick up this game on steam. Is it worthwhile if I'm only going to play solo?

Many people will tell you it isn't, but I played through the entirety of vanilla Borderlands on 360 in single player once or twice and loved it. Of course it can be a better game with coop buddies, but if you enjoy loot mongering games (even better if you enjoyed Torchlight given it is a single player experience only too) this won't let you down.

Log4Girlz

elfinke said:
Many people will tell you it isn't, but I played through the entirety of vanilla Borderlands on 360 in single player once or twice and loved it. Of course it can be a better game with coop buddies, but if you enjoy loot mongering games (even better if you enjoyed Torchlight given it is a single player experience only too) this won't let you down.

I never finished Torchlight...I enjoyed it, but I started to get tired. But, I do not regret the purchase, I may go back to it eventually. Thanks :D

Gaspode_T

Yeah I'm playing 360 single player and absolutely having a blast. Apparently co-op has "harder enemies, better loot" but I haven't had a hard time without it.

For campaign progress I'm kind of stuck...
I beat Baron Flynt, then I went to the place where the waypoint is to "Find Tarris" but there doesn't seem to be a way into the Crimson Lance outpost that I was directed to, I climbed around quite a bit but didn't really see any openings besides the door which is red and not operatable. I thought maybe I would finish the machine gun quest and ended up climbing back up the big machine a second time "for the heck of it" expecting to see more crimson lance guys there, to my surprise instead I had to kill Baron Flynt a second time! I didn't think the bosses re-spawned like that, anyway it was kind of fun to kill him a second time and get a boom stick again, but it almost felt like a bug for that to happen...

So my next guess was that I have to go to her office directly for a clue (which is one of the only main campaign places that has no good fast travel close to it as far as I know...)

Also some of these quest weapons seem totally worthless from practical standpoint...I love the sound the Patton makes and Boomstick is awesome but with 0% accuracy it is not really comparable to even my Terrible Shotgun

Top Bottom