• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

cHinzo

I've put 370+ hours in BL2 but stopped playing TPS with less than 10 play hours registered on Steam. I think the problem with TPS is that its pacing just feels wrong and thus fails to suck me in to accept the grind. I can't even complete the first playthrough.

The second half of the game is way better, although there is nothing to do end-game. Gonna wait for the story DLC I guess.

hoggert

im going to assume it will be as fun as the Moxxi arena thing in the first game, or the creature slaughterdome in 2....which were not enjoyable in the slightest

Only for 9.99! ...I'm really hoping it's not crap and just an arena with the Eridian/Dahl enemies to accompany the pre-order DLC scav arena.

cHinzo

I guess the most important part of that DLC is the additional 10 levels and skill points. The Holo Dome is just a nice bonus. :d

GamerSoul

I guess the most important part of that DLC is the additional 10 levels and skill points. The Holo Dome is just a nice bonus. :d

yep lol they're also adding some new weapons.

As Athena tells the tale, you’ll play through The Holodome Onslaught, a new challenge arena where you’ll fight wave after wave of foes, including some of The Pre-Sequel’s most memorable badasses as well as several new enemies. You’ll also be able to earn new weapons, new class mods, and some radical new heads and skins.

As bonus content, this add-on pack also includes the Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack, which raises the level cap to 60, giving each of your characters the ability to earn 10 new levels and skill points!

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/comm...upgrade-pack-the-holodome-onslaught-announced

JeffSK, the Gearbox community manager also posted this a few days ago.

The next major update for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is coming very soon. This update will add support for the release of the second downloadable add-on pack, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack: The Holodome Onslaught, a third playthrough, several bug fixes, and more. Depending on your platform, you may receive the update at one of a few different times, so below is a list of when you can expect to see the newest update:

Xbox 360: Released Friday, December 12
PlayStation 3: Tuesday, December 16
Steam: Tuesday, December 16

As we announced last week, December 16th will also bring the release of Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack: The Holodome Onslaught. Here’s when that DLC will be available in each territory:

Xbox 360: Tuesday, December 16
Steam: Tuesday, December 16
PlayStation 3: Tuesday, December 16 (North America)

For PlayStation 3 players outside of North America, the add-on pack will be available on 12/17 as soon as the PlayStation Store updates in your territory. Xbox 360 users will also be prompted to download a new Compatability Pack in the coming days.

Full patch notes detailing what you can expect in the update will be posted here when available (look for the entry dated December 11 or 16):

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=398832

UVHM current changes...
Additionally, enemies and bosses will scale according to your current level. If you’re playing with others, enemies scale to the highest-level player in the party. Here are the changes you can expect in UVHM:

Regular enemies will receive a 1.5x health multiplier and 1.5x shield multiplier
Badass enemies will receive a 2.5x health multiplier and 3.5x shield multiplier
Enemies are now more likely to drop ammo, plus enemies and chests will give you better gear than in other playthroughs
Elemental weapons will also be more effective, as will gear with elemental resistance

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/comm...s-the-pre-sequel-s-ultimate-vault-hunter-mode

maouvin

I'm struggling to progress through TVHM because I get bored after doing a mission (will take forever to finish it this way), but damn I'll go back to play the Holodome just because there's Gaige blabbering during it.

There's still no easy way to skip story quests quests via gibbed, aye? Still have to do one at each time and such?

hoggert

Holodome is shit for 10 bucks. Arena is enormous, few enemies spawn, and those that do constantly hide. Spent around 20 minutes and only got half through the first quest before I quit out of boredom. Hunting down the last enemy in a wave because they're hiding in a side room on the other side of the map isn't fun at all.

GamerSoul

So far I kinda have to agree. From just a few minutes of playing, I felt that the arena was too large and so far the enemies are basically either dahl or eridians. Overall, it's ok and I like having more things to do in the game but I honestly I had more fun with the $5 I spent on Tales of the Borderlands. My opinion might slightly change a bit once I play with it more people.

A. Bahroo, an avid Borderlands player, also gave a pretty objective, imo, review detailing some of the issues regarding the content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93mT60Ymgs

Edit: playing online with some randoms makes it a bit more intense if that helps lol

Yado

Played a bit last night and quit when I fell in the middle trying to find someone to kill. It was a terrible design decision to make the dome that big with so little enemies in it.

cHinzo

Yeah even though it adds 10 more levels, I doubt I'm gonna pay 10 bucks for it. Especially since there is still nothing to do in the end-game, so no reason to farm for good equip if there isn't any place to test is out.

GamerSoul

Yeah even though it adds 10 more levels, I doubt I'm gonna pay 10 bucks for it. Especially since there is still nothing to do in the end-game, so no reason to farm for good equip if there isn't any place to test is out.

Basically...there still isn't much to do so it's hard to justify the xtra levels as of now. I personally had a bit more fun with it online but it's still doesn't add much to the end game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yay got this game for Xmas. Just got to Concordia, I'm assuming that's this game's Sanctuary?

I picked Athena (duh xD). Enjoying it a lot so far. But I was hoping they wouldn't do the whole, "give you side-quests in the area you just cleared (oh and respawn bosses while we're at it)" thing. I really disliked that in the first two games. :\

Mistel

Banned
Yay got this game for Xmas. Just got to Concordia, I'm assuming that's this game's Sanctuary?

I picked Athena (duh xD). Enjoying it a lot so far. But I was hoping they wouldn't do the whole, "give you side-quests in the area you just cleared (oh and respawn bosses while we're at it)" thing. I really disliked that in the first two games. :\
Concordia is this games sanctuary more or less. There are side missions like that just the same as the other 2 games the way it has already been. But you don't have to redo any of the story bosses.

GamerSoul

Hah, having bosses and certain enemies respawn is a great convenient design choice because bosses are usually tied to a certain rare weapon/head drop. If bosses didn't respawn, you would only have one chance at getting a unique Weapon each play through. It's more of an endgame issue though.

Mistel

Banned
The respawning bosses is not the flaw. Throwing side-quests for an area you just cleared is, especially when the enemies and bosses respawn so damn fast. They should just give the side-quests before you visit the area.
That wouldn't really work with some of the side quests as it would break the flow of the story a fair bit, along with it not providing much end game content and preventing a player from gaining higher level unique equipment by locking it to the level they entered the area at.

I don't know what's wrong with having all the enemies respawn either otherwise it's not really much fun and you're not gaining any experience from them not being present.

GamerSoul

The respawning bosses is not the flaw. Throwing side-quests for an area you just cleared is, especially when the enemies and bosses respawn so damn fast. They should just give the side-quests before you visit the area.

I think it's fine, it gives you a reason to further explore the area after completing the main story mission. Imo, the problem stems from the lack of Fast Travel Stations early on which would allow easier backtracking. Luckily, it gets a bit better as the game progresses.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Usually people enjoy end game content.
That wouldn't really work with some of the side quests as it would break the flow of the story a fair bit, along with it not providing much end game content and preventing a player from gaining higher level unique equipment by locking it to the level they entered the area at.
What are you all talking about? I'm talking about side-quests that make you revisit an area you just cleared. Right now, the example I have in mind is very early in the game, before you even reach Sanctuary Concordia. What does this have to do with end-game content?

For example, Janey Springs gives you a nova shield and a side-quest in Regolith Range (which, at that point, you have only just cleared). There's no story reason why you couldn't have access to this side-quest before killing the first boss, and it's a level 4 side-quest. I hate when they do that, and I can't imagine anyone finds it fun to revisit the area they just cleared right away (and waiting to come back there later to avoid redundancy isn't a real option because the loot will be level 4 anyway).

Mistel

Banned
What are you all talking about? I'm talking about side-quests that make you revisit an area you just cleared. Right now, the example I have in mind is very early in the game, before you even reach Sanctuary Concordia. What does this have to do with end-game content?
The quest reward itself is level locked to the level you accept the quest and start it not when it was available to you first, which is what I mentioned earlier would be a negative for locking it to the level you enter the area. I was also talking about side quests that are later on into the story which wouldn't work if introduced when you first enter the area like with some of Pickle's side quest.

Stanng243

So how is this game? I've platinumed the first game, haven't finished the 2nd yet, although I'm apparently very close. Playing Tales from the Borderlands got me excited for the universe again. The sale on PSN isn't hurting either. Have they only put out one DLC pack so far? Thank you for the help.

cHinzo

So how is this game? I've platinumed the first game, haven't finished the 2nd yet, although I'm apparently very close. Playing Tales from the Borderlands got me excited for the universe again. The sale on PSN isn't hurting either. Have they only put out one DLC pack so far? Thank you for the help.

Kinda more of the same as Borderlands 2. Hardly any end-game content, but the second half of the campaign and the last boss is great imo. So far they released the Doppelganger class and the Holodome + 10 extra levels as DLC. Some new mechanics as boosting in the air and the new Cryo element are awesome, but the quests are kind of boring.

Stanng243

Kinda more of the same as Borderlands 2. Hardly any end-game content, but the second half of the campaign and the last boss is great imo. So far they released the Doppelganger class and the Holodome + 10 extra levels as DLC. Some new mechanics as boosting in the air and the new Cryo element are awesome, but the quests are kind of boring.

Thank you. Seeing as its a Pre-Sequel, sadly that means no sequel to Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's keep. I loved that DLC.

Grisby

Probably going to be start the game soon. I finished the other 2 games but there was just too much stuff coming out when pre-sequel dropped.

I'm gonna go with Nisha since I mostly play solo. What a good build for her? Any type of gun I should go for? Or any tips in general?

Oh, and I've heard the game isn't as long as the other two.

Mistel

Banned
Probably going to be start the game soon. I finished the other 2 games but there was just too much stuff coming out when pre-sequel dropped.

I'm gonna go with Nisha since I mostly play solo. What a good build for her? Any type of gun I should go for? Or any tips in general?

Nisha is better with non elemental weapons mainly pistols, shotguns, and rifles specially the Jacob's stuff which she gets quite a lot out of. This one is a fair bit shorter than the other two.

GamerSoul

Thank you. Seeing as its a Pre-Sequel, sadly that means no sequel to Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's keep. I loved that DLC.

I mean it technically could happen and make sense story wise but i wouldn't bet on it right now. I hope we do get a dlc like that for TPS though. Would be awesome.

I havent used Nisha much but she is ridiculously good. Her middle tree is by far my favorite . And make sure you have a good shock weapon for the first boss.

Sokka

I mean it technically could happen and make sense story wise but i wouldn't bet on it right now. I hope we do get a dlc like that for TPS though. Would be awesome.

They've said that they want to try and make a DLC with the same size of the Tiny Tina DLC.

hoggert

They've said that they want to try and make a DLC with the same size of the Tiny Tina DLC.

I remember prerelease PR as well. After the overall quality of TPS and the Holodome, I really, really, really doubt 2K AUS' ability to put out anything that great. Would love to be proven wrong but even Hammerlock's had things like cutscenes and new music.

Grisby

Nisha is better with non elemental weapons mainly pistols, shotguns, and rifles specially the Jacob's stuff which she gets quite a lot out of. This one is a fair bit shorter than the other two.
I havent used Nisha much but she is ridiculously good. Her middle tree is by far my favorite . And make sure you have a good shock weapon for the first boss.
Good deal, thanks for the tips fellas.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
It's not as good as BL2 but it's still fun. My issue and why I'm posting is because I put in 3 purple class mods into the grinder, and get this rather cool new purple classmod I've never seen. "Whoa" but why is it redded out? Oh, requires the holodome DLC

Fuck. You.

Don't do that shit, its' scummy as fuck. Having shit pop up in the machine or even in chests that I can't use is just on the edge of acceptable since there's so many items given at a time, so it's not the end of the world if one is a dud. however, wasting 3 of my items to have it become a "LOL pay real money to use this" bullshit item? That's over the line. Especially since I kinda liked one of those older classmods, but I decided it was worth the risk for the one I wanted. But nope, fuck you, pay us.

They aren't getting shit from me now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not as good as BL2 but it's still fun. My issue and why I'm posting is because I put in 3 purple class mods into the grinder, and get this rather cool new purple classmod I've never seen. "Whoa" but why is it redded out? Oh, requires the holodome DLC

Fuck. You.

Don't do that shit, its' scummy as fuck. Having shit pop up in the machine or even in chests that I can't use is just on the edge of acceptable since there's so many items given at a time, so it's not the end of the world if one is a dud. however, wasting 3 of my items to have it become a "LOL pay real money to use this" bullshit item? That's over the line. Especially since I kinda liked one of those older classmods, but I decided it was worth the risk for the one I wanted. But nope, fuck you, pay us.

They aren't getting shit from me now.
What the hell? That's disgusting. >:\

Not gonna buy any DLC either, that's for sure. Urgh. But I really don't get this. You got a class mod that fits your own class, right? So why the hell would DLC be required to use it? Is it above the level cap? :S

Mistel

Banned
Not gonna buy any DLC either, that's for sure. Urgh. But I really don't get this. You got a class mod that fits your own class, right? So why the hell would DLC be required to use it? Is it above the level cap? :S
That's the way the DLC content in the series works you can get the newer items but you cannot use them until you have the dlc itself. The dlc is a key basically more or less.

GamerSoul

That's the way the DLC content in the series works you can get the newer items but you cannot use them until you have the dlc itself. The dlc is a key basically more or less.

Yea i remember seeing the same thing for BL2 but having it tied to the grinder pool sucks. I can understand the fustration.

Grisby

Got up to the first town. The low gravity jumping is fun and the o2 deal isnt as bad as I thought it would be. Nisha's gunslinger skill is pretty damn cool, it's about time I was a cowboy in the Borderlands universe. Pretty sure I heard her say, "Fill your hands!" when it activated one time. Twas pretty cool.

It's still Borderlands, and it feels like a direct to home movie right now but that ain't so bad. Nisha is pretty funny with her masochistic deal going on but I wish I could hear the banter between teammates (alas, I always play Borderlands solo).

I wish I remembered who these characters were. Athena mentioned something about General Knox and Wilhelm seems familiar. Ah, I suppose I'll find out more as I progress.

Oh, and one other thing, I started Tales From the Borderlands tonight too and this feels like its going to be an awesome combo. TOB seems really well done in the 30 minutes I put into it. Dialogue joke spoiler,
FATALITY

GamerSoul

Yep Tales of the Borderlands turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I hope we'll get some more info on the next episode.

I finally reached level 60 with my Athena. All by mostly jumping into random games but becuase of a bug my skill points would reset everything now and then.

thenexus6

I have not played this game yet, I am hoping and waiting for PS4 release. However I had the urge earlier to listen to the Borderlands 2 OST as i'm doing stuff on the computer when I thought i'd check out the Pre-Sequel. It's really good! I am about 35 minutes into it.

I liked quite enough this game. Finally beat The Pre-Sequel yesterday (and I have it since launch day, didn't have much time), and it was a very good ending,
can't wait for BL3 to know which "war" is starting

What happened to me in the last section was... my shield never depleted, and if I got hit by a bullet, the shield restored inmediatly lol that made everything much easier, it was probably a glitch.

Just downloaded the update released today, and game wil not run. The XMB says "Registration of the trophy information could not be completed. The game will quit." There is no option but to click "OK."

Anyone else run into this? Ps3 Digital Deluxe edition (I think is what it was called, came with season pass), in case that might be relevant.

EDIT: Synching trophies seems to have fixed it.

Further EDIT: Synching only allowed me to play once. Trophies now will not sync and many games refuse to load because of this trophy error. UGH

GamerSoul

I'm patiently waiting for the final dlc also. If the Handsome Collection does in fact come with all the DLC for this game, I don't see why we won't be getting it before then.

Yea they seem to be having some issues with this update. I also saw this on the forums.
It has come to our attention that the January 27 game update for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which releases alongside the Lady Hammerlock Pack, has an unforeseen issue.

Specifically, when the update is applied, putting three items of purple rarity into the Grinder has the potential to cause a crash. The team is hard at work at addressing this issue as quickly as possible -- until then, we recommend players use the Grinder at their own risk.

Should players not wish to receive this update, which is required to play online and access the Lady Hammerlock Pack, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 players should not accept the update when prompted to download while Steam players can put Steam into Offline Mode.

We'll share more information on the resolution to this issue as soon as we have it confirmed -- keep an eye on the Knowledge Base article here for the latest: https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/entries/62463260

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=407299

Anyone get to try Lady Hammerlock yet? I've watched some of Bahroo's playthrough and she looks interesting but not $10 interesting as of now.

Labrys

I liked quite enough this game. Finally beat The Pre-Sequel yesterday (and I have it since launch day, didn't have much time), and it was a very good ending,
can't wait for BL3 to know which "war" is starting

What happened to me in the last section was... my shield never depleted, and if I got hit by a bullet, the shield restored inmediatly lol that made everything much easier, it was probably a glitch.

Same glitch happened to me. Made it very easy but it was still fun.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finished it tonight. Fun game but seriously lacking in some aspects vs BL2. Quest design is terrible and the humour is much weaker at least in the side-quests (and way more tryhard, the Star Wars parody for instance was absolutely cringeworthy). Like when I checked out that infection in the Veins, and after turning in to Tassiter back in Jack's office, he gives me TWO more side-quests in that same area? An area where there is no fast-travel? Just... why would you do that. devs? Fuck you. I'm a bit of a side-quest completist but I completely skipped those ones. Also, not putting the stores near the final boss was kinda crappy. I spent all my rockets but then we died and respawned outside the boss, 0 rockets and I wasn't gonna do the trek back to buy some (I saw we could just jump down to the stores but we'd have to do the whole trek back, probably with respawning enemies too). I just did the last boss without them but meh, that's just a dick move.

On a more positive side, I love the low gravity jumping and verticality, butt-slamming (tee hee), laser weapons (pew pew! sorry Mr. Torgue xD) and freezing mechanic. And Athena is the best. <3

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just bought the game today so I'm going to speculate something.

I heard that there are few overpowered weapons and shields so I presumed that they got hit by nerf stick.

Is there any overpowered weapon and shield that are still alive right now?

shiba5

Finished it tonight. Fun game but seriously lacking in some aspects vs BL2. Quest design is terrible and the humour is much weaker at least in the side-quests (and way more tryhard, the Star Wars parody for instance was absolutely cringeworthy). Like when I checked out that infection in the Veins, and after turning in to Tassiter back in Jack's office, he gives me TWO more side-quests in that same area? An area where there is no fast-travel? Just... why would you do that. devs? Fuck you. I'm a bit of a side-quest completist but I completely skipped those ones. Also, not putting the stores near the final boss was kinda crappy. I spent all my rockets but then we died and respawned outside the boss, 0 rockets and I wasn't gonna do the trek back to buy some (I saw we could just jump down to the stores but we'd have to do the whole trek back, probably with respawning enemies too). I just did the last boss without them but meh, that's just a dick move.

On a more positive side, I love the low gravity jumping and verticality, butt-slamming (tee hee), laser weapons (pew pew! sorry Mr. Torgue xD) and freezing mechanic. And Athena is the best. <3

Once you open the final ramp to the boss, all the ramps lower so you don't have to trudge around the entire ring again.
I agree with everything else you wrote. I really like the whole Helios area, but getting to the Veins level is just a pain. There are too few fast travel stations in the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Once you open the final ramp to the boss, all the ramps lower so you don't have to trudge around the entire ring again.
Ah, I didn't notice that. Good to know.
I agree with everything else you wrote. I really like the whole Helios area, but getting to the Veins level is just a pain. There are too few fast travel stations in the game.
Yeah I really like the Veins of Helios, lots of cool verticality and those jumps are fun, but the lack of fast travel station to get there and the way they dicked you around with the side-quests kinda soured the experience for me.

Mistel

Banned
Is there any overpowered weapon and shield that are still alive right now?
There isn't really after the Shooting star and Big thumprr got nerfed least not too that level. Stuff like the 88 Fragnum, Longnail, Miss Moxxi's probe, and Miss Moxxi's vibra pluse aren't overpowered to the same level as the Shooring star and Big thumprr but they have their moments.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm up to the part where Jack
kills the scientists
on Helios. How far am i into the story? Let's say i do all sidequests too, how much do i have left?

I like the game, but vastly prefer BL2. The humor outside of Jack is pretty low and not that funny(not enough Torque for me :p, i like how he dealt with that laser weapon earlier), zones aren't quite as interesting as BL2. Not enough fast travels or memorable characters either. Don't think i'll be playing the other classes once i beat it(playing as Nisha)

It feels too much like a BL2 expansion rather than a proper "(pre-)sequel". Good thing i bought it during the Steam winter sales when it was at 50%.

Top Bottom