• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast 21: Tech and Auto Regrets, PSP Go, Zune HD, Dexter iPhone, Indefensible

Status
Not open for further replies.
direct link - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast21.mp3

Another week, another tech mishap, we're a little late (again) but we return with an epic-length show!

Segment 1 - MOTORED DEATHTRAPS OF OUR YOUTH, ADULTHOODS VIEWED ON BETA

What attracts young boys and men to the possibility of a quadriplegic future? What makes a man plunk down cash on a box filled with flashing lights and loud noises he knows he will come to dread? In this segment we cover our most regrettable vehicular and tech experiences.

Segment 2 - PSP Go, Zune HD, iPhone Games

(59:38) Doug shares a hands-on with the PSP Go and the Zune HD

(1:25:00) Iphone Games - the Dexter iPhone game, and another game called Dungeon Hunter (a Diablo clone by Gameloft).

Listener Joe Molotov dared Kevin to review this iPhone game, so he did:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...oto-yuri-anime-kissing-game-offered-on-iphone

If you've ever wanted to hear a grown man kiss his portable media player, this would be the time to listen.

(1:38:45) Farmville update: Fuck crops.

SEGMENT 3 - INDEFENSIBLE & LISTENER MAIL

(1:45:00) INDEFENSIBLE! Doug kicks it and goes all the way with a bunch of fat clowns.

(1:55:00) Listener mail - Clive Cussler, and Love Pillows Redux

We'll talk to you again on Tuesday, October 13th!

Limedust

Doug bought a PSP Go? I though you both swore it off as a total waste of a hardware update. Must have just been Kevin.

About time!

Also, Drinky Crow winds up buying everything he hates. Him saying how much a game or system sucks is a mere confirmation that he'll buy it and often more than once for the latter.

i did not buy a pspgo. my thoughts are predicated on roughly 5 minutes of hands-on time at the local fred meyer, so LET THE LISTENER BEWARE

rbeck3.jpg

JEALOUS, GAF?

Pale white people - look at the skin on your arm, then look at this picture, then mentally combine the two for a complete vision of my first car:

honda.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
I remember my first car, an old Dodge Aries, one of the K cars out on the market. My biggest memories with it were when my idiot friend decided to randomly start shanking the back seat with a knife until I left him on the side of the road.

And when my bud and I spent about an hour installing a new CD player and never getting it to work. Then we went out bowling and later that night, as I got in the car, I turned on the headlights and notices the CD player was on......we wired it to the headlights somehow instead of the speaker system.:/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, Michael Crichton, I think I repressed his existence even if I remember his work quite clearly.

Limedust

My first vehicle was a 1985 GMC Jimmy 4x4 that I bought from my parents, fire truck red, with the shittiest engine ever designed by a domestic car company: The GM 2.8L V6 (110 HP, 148 lb-ft torque)

That's right, folks. 110 HP engine pulling a vehicle that weighed north of 4000 lbs. 2-barrel carburetor. This SUV was capable of fording a 4-foot deep pond, while miserably failing to maintain 55 MPH on a flat highway. My favorite option was the "turn-the-heater-on-high-to-keep-the-engine-from-overheating-in-the-summer" switch. I believe I replaced every functioning part while I owned it: Rear axle, engine, transmission, radiator, carb, exhaust. The only thing that didn't suck about it was the 1/4" thick steel body panels that survived two hail storms that blew out the front window, but didn't leave a single dent/scratch in the body or paint. Oh yeah, the seats came from the factory in RED LEATHER.
No, the horn didn't play "La Cucaracha" when pressed.

my grandfather had that truck! how he hateloved it. if he had been a woman and that truck his husband, he would have nightly visits from the police and a myriad of excuses involving doorknobs.

edit: my bad, my brother informs me it was the 195hp '85 chevy silverado v6, which was also a giant indestructable piece of shit, and whose body is apparently STILL in demand.

Limedust

Drinky Crow said:
my grandfather had that truck! how he hateloved it. if he had been a woman and that truck his husband, he would have nightly visits from the police and a myriad of excuses involving doorknobs.

edit: my bad, my brother informs me it was the 195hp '85 chevy silverado v6, which was also a giant indestructable piece of shit, and whose body is apparently STILL in demand.

Indeed. I fucking DROVE OFF CLIFFS in this thing, and the body held up great. I had plans to swap the crappy V6 for the 4.3L V6 (the one I think your gradfathers Chevy had), but I ended up selling it to a friend and buying a new pickup. While I hated the thing when I had it, I can now appreciate how well built the body, frame, and fenders were.

After four tries, I got around to listening to it:

Segment One - I owned a 1993 Oldsmobile Achieva as my first car in 2001. It looked excellent. No rust, no scratches, nothing! Little did I know it was a nightmare. Every month needed something to be done on it. Each month, I'd take it in to a mechanic, thinking "This has to be it, what else is there that can break that hasn't already?" Then the engine broke down completely. We bought a new one to put it in there. It was fine for a few months until it started breaking down again. Before I was 18, I was a few thousand in the hole. We finally got rid of it in 2005 when it needed about $1000 of repairs, all of which were things that were already fixed before. Shit, I took two jobs during high school, one of which was for the purposes of repairing the car.

Segment Two - Did Drinky say "Iowa PSP?" We'd never buy that shit! PSP Go is simply paying more for less. For the Zune HD, how easy is it to transfer MP3 files to it? My CD player is breaking down and I notice few make them these days so I might make the jump to an MP3 player. However I want a no bullshit drag and drop program. I want to be able to pick MP3s and transfer a couple dozen to them in less than five minutes. Can the Zune HD do this?

Segment Three - Yeah, the Christian thing for the ICP was all true. That was supposed to be their overall message to conclude the Joker's Cards. One of my friends was a Juggalo at one point (when they were popular in the mid-late 90s) and now pretends he never was one. I hate the ICP but they were very popular in my area so I knew all about getting down with the clown without listening to a single song of theirs.

The comment about love pillows being used as a channel for affection and tentacle hentai for their sexual needs is probably spot on. It reminds me of something I read in a Sociology book where they isolated this baby monkey away from its family and created a surrogate mother that was basically a feeding tube disguised as a mother monkey. Once brought back into the group, the monkey would cling to the fake monkey mother and pathetically (that exact word) attempt to screw the female monkeys...and failed. That kind of reminds me of the otaku: isolated and completely clueless on how society and real women work.

Kevtones

Do you guys have a referral program set up? I got my girlfriend on board three episodes ago and I'm pretty sure she subscribed...

At the risk of sounding more like a dumbass than I usually do, I don't understand what you mean by referral program. Tell your girlfriend we said thanks for listening! And thanks to you for spreading the word!

I haven't actually done any type of promotion for the show at all, other than submitting it to various directories and RSS feed catchers, and posting it on two message boards. Part of it is that I get a bit self-conscious about self promotion (which I know directly contradicts wanting folks to listen to a podcast), and part of it is that I don't know what else I could do - short of spending money. So we've leveled off in listenership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom