• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast 44: Cigareets and Whusky and Wild, Wild Women

direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast44.mp3

Borecast 44: Cigareets and Whusky and Wild, Wild Women

SEGMENT ONE: Are you tired of getting sand kicked in your console?

Doug, Robert, and Kevin take a look and cracked.com's article "5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer" and spin it off into a discussion about gaming and gamers in general.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not-cool-to-admit-youre-gamer.html

SEGMENT TWO: Games

(1:21:30) Alan Wake
(1:42:20) 3D Dot Game Heroes
(1:49:30) The Last Remnant (PC)
(2:09:30) Red Dead Redemption
(2:31:00) Video Game contest sites - www.realmsbeyond.net - www.citybuildingcontests.net - www.pdcmagic.com

We're off next week, but we'll talk to you again the week after!

Chipopo

Banned
There's a dig at the Neogaf community early in the podcast. Someone should feign outrage for the Borecasts benefit!

Chipopo said:
There's a dig at the Neogaf community early in the podcast. Someone should feign outrage for the Borecasts benefit!

There is? I don't even remember hearing it. We're all weirdos in our own special ways.

I think my obscure episode titles aren't helping any, as far as responses go.

i like them because they are clever, but this is gaf, and our intended audience of manbabiesgamers are probably scanning for titles of whatever game of the week has their loins ablaze with geek desire and/or rage

Chipopo

Banned
Merely as a cynical marketing ploy, and not at all an indication of the podcasts actual intent, this episode could playfully be renamed "All That's Wrong With The NeoGaf Community!" and still cohere somewhat with what's actually under discussion. Still, I'd be more than happy if the Borecast remained uninfluenced by the motive to garner hits. I like the quirky titles.

Eel O'Brian said:
There is? I don't even remember hearing it. We're all weirdos in our own special ways.

I'm pretty sure I take a swipe at neogaf (and even QT3) when we are talking about the gaming forums and misogyny.

Man, that Red Dead short film by John Hillcoat was terrible. No wonder Fox moved that to 12 am on a Saturday. That might actually turn people off from buying the game if they know nothing about it. I wish I'd seen it before we recorded, so I could have extracted some measure of revenge for my wasted thirty minutes.

Alex

I listen to each one, though usually a bit at a time throughout the week. Only podcast I've ever really liked, so I certainly hope you guys drum up enough interest to keep going or whatever... Just keep up the good work!

Last weeks was great though, almost made me want to go out and buy a damned iPad. I kind of wanted to get a Kindle, but the ipad, though not nearly as dedicated seems so much more interesting to me. I'm reading a lot more these days, the most I have in years, but it's still not as much as I like to pretend I do.

If someone would put a meaningful co-op dungeon hack or something on the iphone/ipad I would never get anything done ... ever.

Also , I had not heard of any of the indie RPGs you guys had talked about last week, so I am thankful for that. I'm tired of bitching about Monster Hunter Tri, so after I wrap up some recent purchases, I'm going to look into the Eschalon titles. I've been playing a lot of Civ lately, got a friend into it, so it'd be nice to have something to alternate it with.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know, being a console generation behind and sporting a PC that's well short of cutting edge is the story of my life. I first bought a PS1 the monday after the US Dreamcast launch. My PS2 didn't come until well after the slim version came out. I remember not being able to play UT for a while because the AMD K6-II didn't have the floating point power of the Pentium 2, and the AthlonXP box I got to replace that was in service until just a few months ago.

I just read people can self-publish on iBooks now. I am really looking forward to the hilarity that will provide in the form of thinly-veiled fanfiction and terribly drawn Marvel and DC comic knockoffs.

Hitokage said:
You know, being a console generation behind and sporting a PC that's well short of cutting edge is the story of my life. I first bought a PS1 the monday after the US Dreamcast launch. My PS2 didn't come until well after the slim version came out. I remember not being able to play UT for a while because the AMD K6-II didn't have the floating point power of the Pentium 2, and the AthlonXP box I got to replace that was in service until just a few months ago.

I always had a behind the times PC growing up for the most part, and in college I also never had the best PC parts. I'm much more tolerant of janky looking or playing games because of it, and in turn much more critical of the things the game is actually trying to accomplish.

Seeing people nitpick over minute visual flaws or complain that a game won't run on their 18-way monitor setups is just insane to me. How on earth does the likely extra effort ever justify the time and money to get it working? It's entitlement, driven by hardware manufacturers, that all because X feature exists it should be supported.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
When I got my current Core i5 system, I turned up everything in Counterstrike: Source, and said, "so this is what it looked like to everyone else."

szaromir

Banned
Hitokage said:
Of course, people listening does not equal people who post replies.
Yes, I listen to every episode but never participate in these threads. I would be interested to know what sort of numbers Borecast is doing.

Anyway great job Borecast guys. I love the nongaming sections as well as the fact that non-mainstream/niche/indie games are discussed, which is rarely mentioned in other podcasts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow, it's been so long since I last listened to an episode of this.

downloaderingin

Alex

I'm a really big fan of wild west themed things, bore fiction and non-fiction, so since I've gotten a chance I've been playing a *lot* of RDR lately.

I really, really love this game, it's just something I've been wanting to have been made for ages. That said, I agree with pretty much a good bulk of your comments, Kevin.

Especially on the multiplayer. I did some Free Roam with a friend and the doldrums really kicked in pretty quick. I just don't think the content is there to really keep it interesting and for typical deathmatch/CTF fare you're better off doing it in a game that's better designed for it mechanically.

However, one part I don't really agree on, is the characterization and bits of the narrative. I don't really feel like I came across too many really repugnant characters. By Rockstar norm, everyone you're helping ranges from from repugnant to crazed mass murderer and crime lord.

In RDR though, most of the characters you throw your hat in with are pretty good, stand up people. The few really disgusting folks, you're typically not so much aiding as you are grinding them for favors you cannot get any other way (or simply getting tricked into things). Even then, Marston seems to be pretty rough about it, to the point of even putting some reform in on a couple of them.

Of course, you could just go the Outlaw route and let that be your thing, but for a game supposedly about Redemption of this man, I'm playing nice. I'm mostly finding that the game is capturing the theme pretty well.

I'm not a big video game story guy, in the event that I do really perk my ears, it's less for the backbone and more for the characters and dialogue, which is where I find video games can still have the ability to put out some decent to good work in the proper genres with the right care. There's exceptions, in the Silent Hill 2's and Planescapes of the world, but those are far and few to say the least.

But I do like RDR's, I've been pretty pleased with it as a big genre fan. It's not some masterpiece, but it's about as good as any of the modern day takes, 3:10 to Yuma's and whatnot, with a bit of a Rockstar spin.

Rambling asde, I'm going back through older episodes now for the book club bits. I joined in kind of late, and I was wondering if you folks ever had anything to say about the kindle? I haven't really read as much as I want to have in recent years, and I was thinking about purchasing one. Thus far, I've really enjoyed some of the tech reviews.

(Sorry for the gigantic, late post)

Listened to the latest episode. Great work as always guys.

Listening to the discussion of the embarassing aspects of gaming, it makes me question what is "normal" in social situations? I pose this not in blind naivete; but to question what is "normal" and to question the absurdity of it.

My typical conversations with friends revolve around the following subjects:

- Comics
- Games
- Relationships
- Finances
- Work
- Politics
- Sociology
- Books / Novels

Generally the conversations run the full course of these subjects; with no one topic stealing the stage.

So if you remove comics and games, does that make me "normal"?

What if you replace comics or games with sports?

What about folks that don't have a particular focused interest like games, comics, sports? Are they more "normal" than the others?

I can understand comics still being an embarassing pursuit, despite the insane Hollywood success of comic book based movies (asses in seats and making stupid amounts of money negates the whole "hur hur nerds" crap - but it's fun for society to go "Hur hur nerds!" even if you've watched Batman 2 six times in Imax), the medium is still something of a ghetto. Unlike video games the audience for comics grew up with them, and appears to be shrinking with age as new generations eschew comics in favor of gaming or the Internet.

Doesn't help the case that comics cost so damned much these days and in this economy.

So yeah, what exactly would you chalk up as normal in society today?

I admit I'm a pretty batty cat; but even some of my more socially acceptable friends have scary tendencies like audibly cooing when a hot chick comes on the screen in a movie; or wistfully saying "I love her" when I show them Kosmos in the copy of SRWOGS:EF I won from you guys. WTF?! :|

Also how much would you say the college experience contributes to becoming socially acclimated?

In my casual observation it contributes a massive amount. My observations include:

- Acceptance of debt as a lifestyle
- Sexual experience
- Expanding social circle
- Discovering "identity" or self awareness

I've observed this over several years in various workplaces and through expanding my own social circle. It also makes me reflect on my own experience and opinions on debt and spending.

Again, enjoyed the episode; which is saying a lot as I am generally adverse to overly long podcasts. It helps that you guys cover shit that's generally off my radar and interesting instead of being just another droning voice hyping up the same bullshit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The strongest point made was that one shouldn't limit themselves to just one area of interest. Ok, you like videogames, but anyone should have experience in other areas to talk about unless they were actively avoiding it.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
When I got my current Core i5 system, I turned up everything in Counterstrike: Source, and said, "so this is what it looked like to everyone else."

What were you running? I remember benching Counter-Strike Source on my Radeon 9800 and Athlon 2500 and getting over 60fps. And to the best of my memory, everything was cranked up. Source was always the best running engine for that system.

Hitokage said:
The strongest point made was that one shouldn't limit themselves to just one area of interest. Ok, you like videogames, but anyone should have experience in other areas to talk about unless they were actively avoiding it.

Makes sense.

I guess I'm "normal", much to the horror of GAFletes and myself. D:

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
What were you running? I remember benching Counter-Strike Source on my Radeon 9800 and Athlon 2500 and getting over 60fps. And to the best of my memory, everything was cranked up. Source was always the best running engine for that system.
Athlon XP 3000+ with a Geforce 5900.

It certainly ran at full framerate easily, but not at full resolution and NOT with things turned up. Same with TF2, actually. All that time was spent in dx 8 mode.

1-D_FTW

:lol

I never knew you were running TF2 in DX8 mode. I'm an admitted CRT lover, so I never had to worry about insane resolutions, but I guess the GPU explains it all. I almost forgot that ATI and Valve had that close relationship back in the day.

Top Bottom