• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boris Johnson made foreign secretary by Theresa May

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbo

This was linked from the Guardian.
http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-13/...n-foreign-secretary-united-states-of-america/
Now they're digesting the appointment of Boris Johnson as the man who will lead the UK's global diplomacy. To put it politely, it has not gone down well. Don't even listen to the State Department spokesman saying it is business as usual.

One veteran Obama official put it this way: Brexit has diminished Britain in this town. Germany is now going to be more central to US policy in Europe. That is doubly true with the Boris appointment.

this is the point where i cant take the uk seriously anymore.
sorry guys, I know alot of you arent responsible, but holy shit. What a shithole of a country the glorious kingdom has become.

I live here and i've stopped taking us seriously any more too. We must look like some kind of Circus to the rest of the world now at least that's how i feel about us. I wonder if we'll paint stripes on the Houses of Parliament?
2zTQWQZ.jpg

weekev

Banned
Is there a chance this is a genius political move by Theresa May? Boris probably has the most support in the Conservative party and therefore is the biggest threat to her premiership. By making him foreign secretary she is giving him a position of power to keep the Johnsonites happy but giving him a role he is clearly I'll prepared to do in any competent fashion thus giving his supporters to her. First big fucked he gets canned and she looks like a good decisive prime minister who isn't scared to shy away from the hard decisions.

If he doesn't fuck up and miraculously does a good job, she wins because it was her idea to give him that position.

Hasney

Is there a chance this is a genius political move by Theresa May? Boris probably has the most support in the Conservative party and therefore is the biggest threat to her premiership. By making him foreign secretary she is giving him a position of power to keep the Johnsonites happy but giving him a role he is clearly I'll prepared to do in any competent fashion thus giving his supporters to her. First big fucked he gets canned and she looks like a good decisive prime minister who isn't scared to shy away from the hard decisions.

If he doesn't fuck up and miraculously does a good job, she wins because it was her idea to give him that position.

And on the second part, the funny buffoon mask will be destroyed. Yeah, it's great for her, but the country is fucked more due to it.

weekev

Banned
No. An intelligent guy would have had a follow up plan for Brexit.
I mean it's pretty clear at this point he thought they would lose a hard fought battle and he would come out smelling of roses. Political games which are gambled with the future of our children. He's a giant asshat but I agree he is an intelligent one. He just has some seriously questionable morals.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
With fuck ups like this and Brexit, would that be enough to fuck the Torries in the long term? Though Labor party is shit right now.

Conservative voters rarely leave the ship. As a matter of fact, they don't exercise their right to vote; they clock in.

This is a constant through the Western world. Political disarray and second thoughts are leftist things.

weekev

Banned
And on the second part, the funny buffoon mask will be destroyed. Yeah, it's great for her, but the country is fucked more due to it.
Oh absolutely, there is no denying that. Any move that is made for political reasons and not because he's the best man for the job is likely to be bad for the general public, I just hope he fucks up fast and small so it can be like taking a horrible ugly little plaster off. Quick but a wee bit sore b

Fritz

I just had an epiphany about the UK.

British Lifestyle is totaly focused on upper class. What with the monarchy, House of Lords, public schools, the clubs, country, hunting, etc. Everybody seems to be hell bound on being or at least mingling with the aristocrats that have been ruling this country forever. That's very different from the US, Germany or France I'd imagine.

Now, in most of the continent an aristocrat is an aristocrat. In Germany and France for example it's part of the name. A count is a count and his children are all counts and comtesses. In Britain however the title is bound to the estate. So you have one earl and the rest of the family is mr and ms whatshername. So you have this gentry that isn't defined by their titles but by manners, lifestyle and money. Hence this obscene tolerance or even celebration of overly eccentric, I don't have to take anything seriously clowns in British culture. Like there is nothing to gain from acting like an aristocrat in Germany because everybody knows you aren't one. In the UK it has everything to do with putting you in a certain inbetween social class.

Did I get it UK GAF?

nampad

Two weeks ago:
Home Secretary Theresa May jokes about Boris Johnson's negotiating skills saying that "the last time he did a deal with the Germans he came back with three nearly new water cannon".

And now she makes him foreign secretary, lol.

weekev

Banned
I just had an epiphany about the UK.

British Lifestyle is totaly focused on upper class. What with the monarchy, House of Lords, public schools, the clubs, country, hunting, etc. Everybody seems to be hell bound on being or at least mingling with the aristocrats that have been ruling this country forever. That's very different from the US, Germany or France I'd imagine.

Now, in most of the continent an aristocrat is an aristocrat. In Germany and France for example it's part of the name. A count is a count and his children are all counts and comtesses. In Britain however the title is bound to the estate. So you have one earl and the rest of the family is mr and ms whatshername. So you have this gentry that isn't defined by their titles but by manners, lifestyle and money. Hence this obscene tolerance or even celebration of overly eccentric, I don't have to take anything seriously clowns in British culture. Like there is nothing to gain from acting like an aristocrat in Germany because everybody knows you aren't one. In the UK it has everything to do with putting you in a certain inbetween social class.

Did I get it UK GAF?
Nah not really. The general public don't fawn over the aristocracy as described, however they have all the money and to run a successful political campaign you need money therefore the aristocrats end up in power and we have to vote which one we think is less of a twat. I have no idea who was up against Boris in hos constituency but based on the evidence it must have been something utterly ridiculous or completely inane so folks voted for the buffoon.

Also I have learned that you can never tell wtf is going on on English voters heads.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean it's pretty clear at this point he thought they would lose a hard fought battle and he would come out smelling of roses. Political games which are gambled with the future of our children. He's a giant asshat but I agree he is an intelligent one. He just has some seriously questionable morals.

So you think a guy who bets everything (including own country's future) on one scenario for an individual political gain without even considering the other possible outcome is an intelligent one?

Definition of intelligence (one of them) said:
A very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.

It doesn't mean that he's stupid. But he seems a bit short-sighted. (like with all the insults thrown around the world without thinking he will need to face that on the long term if he wants to have a successful political career)

Morat

Banned
Conservative voters rarely leave the ship. As a matter of fact, they don't exercise their right to vote; they clock in.

This is a constant through the Western world. Political disarray and second thoughts are leftist things.

This seems to be the truth unfortunately. We are obviously seeing the most extreme form of this in the UK at the moment, but it seem to be always present with what passes for the left.

Fritz

Nah not really. The general public don't fawn over the aristocracy as described, however they have all the money and to run a successful political campaign you need money therefore the aristocrats end up in power and we have to vote which one we think is less of a twat. I have no idea who was up against Boris in hos constituency but based on the evidence it must have been something utterly ridiculous or completely inane so folks voted for the buffoon.

Also I have learned that you can never tell wtf is going on on English voters heads.

Yeah, I guess. It's not like other people don't vote for idiots either.

Zelias

Banned
What a shitshow. I'm embarrassed to live in this country knowing the clown-in-chief of the Leave campaign is representing us abroad. One day I hope I have the means to leave myself.

Jezbollah

What a shitshow. I'm embarrassed to live in this country knowing the clown-in-chief of the Leave campaign is representing us abroad. One day I hope I have the means to leave myself.

If it makes you feel better, by the time you have the means to leave, Boris would have probably fucked up and been sacked :)

Zelias

Banned
If it makes you feel better, by the time you have the means to leave, Boris would have probably fucked up and been sacked :)
That would make me feel better, although Boris is ruthless and ambitious and might not do anything stupid enough to get sacked. Unfortunately he is the cherry on top of the shitcake that is UK politics right now - Brexit, the Tories looking stronger than ever and Labour in civil war are all completely bumming me out.

PJV3

Hilarious that the Foreign office under Douglas Hurd had a Boris unit to deal with his lies and bullshit articles.

Acorn

Hilarious that the Foreign office under Douglas Hurd had a Boris unit to deal with his lies and bullshit articles.
Even more hilarious he was sacked as a journalist for making up quotes but fucking idiots still trust him.

"Hahahs luk at foooney posh man, hav pint wit him!"

At this point I'm considering moving to Ireland just for the EU citizenship, then go elsewhere. Seems easier than whatever restrictive system will exist without freedom of movement.

Thinking bout doing that until we get away from the rest of the uk hopefully.

My dream for an independent Scotland is that it becomes solidly social democratic and gains closer ties with Scandinavia as a result. And stays in the EU. I honestly don't give a damn anymore if the UK disintegrates in the next 10 years. Would be a great sense of irony though, instead of Brexit making the UK 'great again' it breaks it up instead. I want out from a lot of the increasingly right wing English electorate.

My dream for an independent Scotland is that it becomes solidly social democratic and gains closer ties with Scandinavia as a result. And stays in the EU. I honestly don't give a damn anymore if the UK disintegrates in the next 10 years.

I'd love the UK to stay together but as the UK seems to have an appetite for destruction and comedy at the moment i've given up caring about the place. If i was younger i'd definitely be looking at leaving but i'm older so i don't think i have any chance of escaping :(

I'd love the UK to stay together but as the UK seems to have an appetite for destruction and comedy at the moment i've given up caring about the place. If i was younger i'd definitely be looking at leaving but i'm older so i don't think i have any chance of escaping :(

You have my sympathy. This debacle really motivates me to do well in my masters' so I can leave this country. Potential destinations: Canada, Germany,Sweden, Norway.

barit

Why is everyone so hysterical? Now he can take responsibility for his actions. Better than this moron called Cameron who just turn one's back on of his own mess

Hasney

Why is everyone so hysterical? Now he can take responsibility for his actions. Better than this moron called Cameron who just turn one's back on to his own mess

Because most people don't like their country being (even more of) a laughing stock? Because he is already well known abroad for his comments about different countries or races? Because a vile cunt is now the face of relations with those countries? Because he'll likely cause more of a mess rather than clean it up?

Trickster

Why is everyone so hysterical? Now he can take responsibility for his actions. Better than this moron called Cameron who just turn one's back on of his own mess

If I put two turds on your table. Would you want to keep one of them just because the other one was even more smelly?

PJV3

I'm not hysterical but he's hated in Europe when the French foreign minister calls him a liar there is a problem.

And he is an actual liar, sacked for it kind of liar.

Clever. She's given all the most "Brexit" related posts to leading brexiteers (aside from Gove). Meaning she can blame them when they inevitably fuck up and the right wing backbenchers will have to suck it up. There's definitely some insulation she's doing here

Because this bumbling oaf with a nasty, bigoted streak is going to be representing us on the world stage. The guy doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut and will probably end up pissing off one of our allies.

Jackpot

Banned

That's like saying you're glad Trump wins the presidency because now he has to own all his mistakes.

I was much happier when Boris was consigned to the political doldrums as a failure.

Acorn

I'm not hysterical but he's hated in Europe when the French foreign minister calls him a liar there is a problem.

And he is an actual liar, sacked for it kind of liar.
Twice.

Plus we just killed any hope of May getting good will from the eu.

liquidtmd

Banned

We face the consequences of those actions

Our country requires in the next 2-4years us negotiating with foreign bodies and this absolute fucking asshat is Foreign Minister.

Hysteria is, for once, rational

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom