• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boris Johnson made foreign secretary by Theresa May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzzopher

Day fucking One and the new PM already shows her incompetence. I don't know much about UK politics, but I do know Boris Johnson is a fucking fool.

Sadly the bumbling fool is a facade, the man is a cold and calculated, he is ruthless and despite him being a racist bigot if he brings his true perosna to the table will be good in this role.

May has basically assembled a cabinet of brexiters with a few remainers, brexiters have to sort out their own mess and remainers are in key positions.

Could have been topped by Farage as foreign secretary. Why insult people only in your little collumn when you can insult them directly face to face lol.

Suzzopher

Just 52% of them.

To be fair we've always been mad, brexiters were clever and played to the poor and uneducated. The people who have been shit on over and over again, government after government, these people thought they were making a stand against what they had been led to believe was holding them down. Of course immigration and the EU were not holding them down but that is how they were played. Now those very people will be the ones getting shat on more than ever.

Im lucky that I can leave the UK and move to a country where I can use my education to build a new life, I feel so bad for those who are left behind to get shat on for the rest of their days. What a mess this country of mine is in.

There is another part of me that wants to move into politics and try to save my country but then I have a foreign wife who no longer feels like the UK is her home.

Suzzopher

You need to use us as a massive warning for September, America.

That could work the other way. On the day of the result we had our usual afternoon standup with our American office and they congratulated us on our independence :/ we quickly said that we were all remain voters so today is not a day for celebration. They didn't understand why we were so down about it.

T-Rex.

Banned
The guy can't even maintain relations with Liverpool for fucks sake. He's not a buffoon, he's a calculated, horrible shitbag. It's even more depressing because Labour are such a mess that we're most likely going to be stuck with these guys for a long time.

Dr.Acula

Banned
That could work the other way. On the day of the result we had our usual afternoon standup with our American office and they congratulated us on our independence :/ we quickly said that we were all remain voters so today is not a day for celebration. They didn't understand why we were so down about it.

The American branch didn't understand how exiting the European trade agreements was something to be down about? What's your company? I want to short it.

God, he even looks like Trump...
Boris and Trump, sitting in a tree
_89779479_89f14579-8f34-4e36-8e11-e890a01d303e.jpg

watershed

Banned
Boris seems like the exact person you don't pick to represent your country abroad unless you want your country's representative to come across as bumbling, offensive, nativist, and generally unimpressive on foreign affairs.

Boris seems like the exact person you don't pick to represent your country abroad unless you want your country's representative to come across as bumbling, offensive, nativist, and generally unimpressive on foreign affairs.
Considering the state of British politics these last few weeks, I think that's exactly what Britain wants.

For people unfamiliar with his craft: Slate: A Partial List of Countries and Leaders New British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Has Insulted

• In 2003, Johnson described U.S. President George W. Bush as “a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who [epitomizes] the arrogance of American foreign policy” in an unsigned editorial in the Spectator.
  • In a 2005 Telegraph column, he wrote “…compared with the old British Empire, and the new American imperium, Chinese cultural influence is virtually nil, and unlikely to increase….Chinese culture seems to stay firmly in China. Indeed, high Chinese culture and art are almost all imitative of western forms…. The number of Chinese Nobel prizes won on home turf is zero, though there are of course legions of bright Chinese trying to escape to Stanford and Caltech.” Three years later, Chinese media decried him as “arrogant, rude and disrespectful” when accepting the Olympic flag from China during the 2008 games:
  • In a 2006 column, also for the Telegraph, Johnson wrote “For 10 years we in the Tory Party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing.” After backtracking furiously, he said he would “add Papua New Guinea to my global itinerary of apology.”
  • Last December, he advocated joining forces with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, saying it is not “morally impossible” to work with them to defeat ISIS.
  • In an op-ed published in April, he claimed President Obama removed a bust of Winston Churchill from the Oval Office upon assuming the presidency in 2009 because “it was a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British empire—of which Churchill had been such a fervent defender,” comments several leading British members of Parliament (rightly) condemned as racist.
  • In May, he claimed top prize in a Spectator magazine poetry competition challenging contestants to pen offensive lyrics about Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with a limerick that referred to Erdogan as “a terrific wankerer” and imagined him having intercourse with a goat. Cheeky.
  • He’s also ripped into the EU, lambasting its trade and tariff policies and comparing its continent-unifying aspirations to Napoleon Bonaparte’s nineteenth-century attempts at European domination and Adolf Hitler’s vision of German expansionism: “Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he said in a May interview with the Telegraph. “The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods.”
  • And regardless of which way the U.S. presidential election tips come November, Johnson seems to have rankled both presumptive nominees in equal measure. During Hillary Clinton’s first run for the White House, in 2007, Johnson referred to her as “a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital,” criticizing her for embodying “purse-lipped political correctness,” and reviving a long-discredited conspiracy theory that claims she and then-President Bill Clinton conspired to murder Vince Foster, a close friend and White House aide who committed suicide in 1993.
  • And in March, Johnson said he’s “genuinely worried” that Donald Trump will be elected president. That happened after Johnson was apparently mistaken for the business mogul during a trip to New York. “The only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump,” he said.
Time to add to his Global Itinerary Of Apology.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It seems like the British is intent in making their government and country a never-ending episode of Mock the Week or something, geez.

jambo

For people unfamiliar with his craft: Slate: A Partial List of Countries and Leaders New British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Has Insulted

• In 2003, Johnson described U.S. President George W. Bush as “a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who [epitomizes] the arrogance of American foreign policy” in an unsigned editorial in the Spectator.
  • In a 2005 Telegraph column, he wrote “…compared with the old British Empire, and the new American imperium, Chinese cultural influence is virtually nil, and unlikely to increase….Chinese culture seems to stay firmly in China. Indeed, high Chinese culture and art are almost all imitative of western forms…. The number of Chinese Nobel prizes won on home turf is zero, though there are of course legions of bright Chinese trying to escape to Stanford and Caltech.” Three years later, Chinese media decried him as “arrogant, rude and disrespectful” when accepting the Olympic flag from China during the 2008 games:
  • In a 2006 column, also for the Telegraph, Johnson wrote “For 10 years we in the Tory Party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing.” After backtracking furiously, he said he would “add Papua New Guinea to my global itinerary of apology.”
  • Last December, he advocated joining forces with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, saying it is not “morally impossible” to work with them to defeat ISIS.
  • In an op-ed published in April, he claimed President Obama removed a bust of Winston Churchill from the Oval Office upon assuming the presidency in 2009 because “it was a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British empire—of which Churchill had been such a fervent defender,” comments several leading British members of Parliament (rightly) condemned as racist.
  • In May, he claimed top prize in a Spectator magazine poetry competition challenging contestants to pen offensive lyrics about Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with a limerick that referred to Erdogan as “a terrific wankerer” and imagined him having intercourse with a goat. Cheeky.
  • He’s also ripped into the EU, lambasting its trade and tariff policies and comparing its continent-unifying aspirations to Napoleon Bonaparte’s nineteenth-century attempts at European domination and Adolf Hitler’s vision of German expansionism: “Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he said in a May interview with the Telegraph. “The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods.”
  • And regardless of which way the U.S. presidential election tips come November, Johnson seems to have rankled both presumptive nominees in equal measure. During Hillary Clinton’s first run for the White House, in 2007, Johnson referred to her as “a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital,” criticizing her for embodying “purse-lipped political correctness,” and reviving a long-discredited conspiracy theory that claims she and then-President Bill Clinton conspired to murder Vince Foster, a close friend and White House aide who committed suicide in 1993.
  • And in March, Johnson said he’s “genuinely worried” that Donald Drumpf will be elected president. That happened after Johnson was apparently mistaken for the business mogul during a trip to New York. “The only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Drumpf,” he said.

UtbAb79.gif

Keasar

......You know,

Should we in the EU be really that upset about England leaving when this is how they turned out anyway?

I'm now mostly upset about them dragging Scotland or Ireland out with them, I do wanna keep them with us, they're pretty cool. :(

Last December, he advocated joining forces with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, saying it is not “morally impossible” to work with them to defeat ISIS.
I guess he didn't burn down all his bridges yet. Maybe with his balling skills he could make some in-roads with North Korea too.

......You know,

Should we in the EU be really that upset about England leaving when this is how they turned out anyway?

I for one wasn't upset, actually I am quite happy that the UK is leaving the EU.

Finally the greatest naysayers leave the party and things can get done.

Hasney

I feel there was a ploy behind this.

Yeah, it's pretty transparent. Boris wasn't able to refuse the job without looking like a fool and now the buffoon mask will slip, or he'll be incompetent and look like an idiot in a high-level post, so either way, he's in no position to challenge May's leadership.

Great for her, shit for the country.

Has it been confirmed that this "Boris" character is in fact a real person, not just part of an elaborate ARG promoting a new season of Blackadder? He would make a great foil for Edmund.

norinrad

This reminds me of the time when Bush appointed UN hater Michael Bolton as UN ambassador.

Yep a choice between the devil and Bolton and i will choose the devil knowing fully well what i was getting myself into.

About Boris, he's quite an intelligent guy, don't be fooled by the obvious goofing. People like him and easily identify with him because he doesn't come of as looking down on people and being an elitist prick. Calling people who like him or would like to have a drink with him idiots is quite dangerous and got the UK where they are today....ie out of the EU.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I don't have a problem with this to be honest, as the new 'Brexit Ministry' could theoretically (and therefore will) take a mandate over all foreign policy for the next 3-5 years at least, and given that the PM always steps in for the actual important situations, Foreign secretary is a glorified PR post.

Boris proved as London mayor that he can do globetrotting mouthpiece fairly well.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
this is the point where i cant take the uk seriously anymore.
sorry guys, I know alot of you arent responsible, but holy shit. What a shithole of a country the glorious kingdom has become.

PJV3

this is the point where i cant take the uk seriously anymore.
sorry guys, I know alot of you arent responsible, but holy shit. What a shithole of a country the glorious kingdom has become.

The timing of the referendum after years of cuts is the problem, a lot of angry people with real problems needing to vent.

Cameron is not a strategic thinker.

The country will return to sanity in short order hopefully once the mess of Brexit is sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom