• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boris Johnson made foreign secretary by Theresa May

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Fraser Nelson seems to be the only optimistic person around at the moment, possibly auditioning for a role in the new foreign office?

I doubt it. He has a handy number as Editor of The Spectator, a position Boris once held. Plus if he did go, i assume Isabel Hardman would take over.

gerg

Maybe I'm looking far too hard for the silver lining, but as some commentators have pointed out Johnson as Foreign Secretary may not be so terrible when his major roles will already have been divvied up between the International Trade Secretary, the Secretary for Exiting the European Union and the Secretary for International Development.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Life is Strange references are amazing.
Need to find a photo from 2 weeks ago and rewind this fucking mess.

Jackpot

Banned
Says current US President's genes make him too biased to comment on the UK. Says next US President represents everything he hates.

He might have some explaining to do when he meets the Turkish President in his new role. Back in May, Boris bagged first prize for his entry in the Spectator’s President Erdogan Offensive Poetry Competition. Here’s his prize-winning poem:

There was a young fellow from Ankara
Who was a terrific wankerer
Till he sowed his wild oats
With the help of a goat
But he didn’t even stop to thankera.

And Boris might now be wishing he hadn't referred to Hillary Clinton as 'a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital'. The newspapers will no doubt have a lot of fun compiling some of his least diplomatic comments...

Though Fraser Nelson over at The Spectator sees his appointment as a positive thing.

Boris used to be Editor of the Spectator. Of course they'll pull for him.

8gvw96Z.gif

Though Fraser Nelson over at The Spectator sees his appointment as a positive thing.

Lol. Calling BoJo an injection of optimism for the Foreign Office is like saying The Joker is an injection of humour for Gotham City.

For people unfamiliar with his craft: Slate: A Partial List of Countries and Leaders New British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Has Insulted

• In 2003, Johnson described U.S. President George W. Bush as “a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who [epitomizes] the arrogance of American foreign policy” in an unsigned editorial in the Spectator.
  • In a 2005 Telegraph column, he wrote “…compared with the old British Empire, and the new American imperium, Chinese cultural influence is virtually nil, and unlikely to increase….Chinese culture seems to stay firmly in China. Indeed, high Chinese culture and art are almost all imitative of western forms…. The number of Chinese Nobel prizes won on home turf is zero, though there are of course legions of bright Chinese trying to escape to Stanford and Caltech.” Three years later, Chinese media decried him as “arrogant, rude and disrespectful” when accepting the Olympic flag from China during the 2008 games:
  • In a 2006 column, also for the Telegraph, Johnson wrote “For 10 years we in the Tory Party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing.” After backtracking furiously, he said he would “add Papua New Guinea to my global itinerary of apology.”
  • Last December, he advocated joining forces with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, saying it is not “morally impossible” to work with them to defeat ISIS.
  • In an op-ed published in April, he claimed President Obama removed a bust of Winston Churchill from the Oval Office upon assuming the presidency in 2009 because “it was a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British empire—of which Churchill had been such a fervent defender,” comments several leading British members of Parliament (rightly) condemned as racist.
  • In May, he claimed top prize in a Spectator magazine poetry competition challenging contestants to pen offensive lyrics about Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with a limerick that referred to Erdogan as “a terrific wankerer” and imagined him having intercourse with a goat. Cheeky.
  • He’s also ripped into the EU, lambasting its trade and tariff policies and comparing its continent-unifying aspirations to Napoleon Bonaparte’s nineteenth-century attempts at European domination and Adolf Hitler’s vision of German expansionism: “Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he said in a May interview with the Telegraph. “The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods.”
  • And regardless of which way the U.S. presidential election tips come November, Johnson seems to have rankled both presumptive nominees in equal measure. During Hillary Clinton’s first run for the White House, in 2007, Johnson referred to her as “a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital,” criticizing her for embodying “purse-lipped political correctness,” and reviving a long-discredited conspiracy theory that claims she and then-President Bill Clinton conspired to murder Vince Foster, a close friend and White House aide who committed suicide in 1993.
  • And in March, Johnson said he’s “genuinely worried” that Donald Trump will be elected president. That happened after Johnson was apparently mistaken for the business mogul during a trip to New York. “The only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump,” he said.

Brannon

Wow.

You guys are fucked.

I hope this post is an odd numbered post because I can't even...

EDIT: Apparently I CAN even, but you're still fucked. For fuck's sake.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The accent isn't helping anymore. Brits just truly aren't that smart.

British people with the smart and posh sounding accents were not the ones who voted to leave in the referendum. It is the fucking imbeciles in the north and the east who've shot themselves in the foot. Look at the correlation between EU funding levels and leave voting and see what i mean.

Lime

The UK is a fucking travesty. Why don't they just secede to whoever wants to fix the hot mess they have miraculously accomplished in a matter of weeks?

I'm watching BBC News right now - they've been thoroughly neutered, haven't they?

It's funny to think that some still accuse the beeb of being biased.

ISOM

He appears to be a bit of a racist, no? Or are those comments he has been documented as making not really racist somehow?

That does seem pretty bad.

Not only racist but he has the image of a buffoon and has already many foreign affairs blunders on his resume and this guy is now the face of Britain. Jesus..

Lagamorph

For people unfamiliar with his craft: Slate: A Partial List of Countries and Leaders New British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Has Insulted

• In 2003, Johnson described U.S. President George W. Bush as “a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who [epitomizes] the arrogance of American foreign policy” in an unsigned editorial in the Spectator.
  • In a 2005 Telegraph column, he wrote “…compared with the old British Empire, and the new American imperium, Chinese cultural influence is virtually nil, and unlikely to increase….Chinese culture seems to stay firmly in China. Indeed, high Chinese culture and art are almost all imitative of western forms…. The number of Chinese Nobel prizes won on home turf is zero, though there are of course legions of bright Chinese trying to escape to Stanford and Caltech.” Three years later, Chinese media decried him as “arrogant, rude and disrespectful” when accepting the Olympic flag from China during the 2008 games:
  • In a 2006 column, also for the Telegraph, Johnson wrote “For 10 years we in the Tory Party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing.” After backtracking furiously, he said he would “add Papua New Guinea to my global itinerary of apology.”
  • Last December, he advocated joining forces with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, saying it is not “morally impossible” to work with them to defeat ISIS.
  • In an op-ed published in April, he claimed President Obama removed a bust of Winston Churchill from the Oval Office upon assuming the presidency in 2009 because “it was a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British empire—of which Churchill had been such a fervent defender,” comments several leading British members of Parliament (rightly) condemned as racist.
  • In May, he claimed top prize in a Spectator magazine poetry competition challenging contestants to pen offensive lyrics about Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with a limerick that referred to Erdogan as “a terrific wankerer” and imagined him having intercourse with a goat. Cheeky.
  • He’s also ripped into the EU, lambasting its trade and tariff policies and comparing its continent-unifying aspirations to Napoleon Bonaparte’s nineteenth-century attempts at European domination and Adolf Hitler’s vision of German expansionism: “Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he said in a May interview with the Telegraph. “The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods.”
  • And regardless of which way the U.S. presidential election tips come November, Johnson seems to have rankled both presumptive nominees in equal measure. During Hillary Clinton’s first run for the White House, in 2007, Johnson referred to her as “a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital,” criticizing her for embodying “purse-lipped political correctness,” and reviving a long-discredited conspiracy theory that claims she and then-President Bill Clinton conspired to murder Vince Foster, a close friend and White House aide who committed suicide in 1993.
  • And in March, Johnson said he’s “genuinely worried” that Donald Trump will be elected president. That happened after Johnson was apparently mistaken for the business mogul during a trip to New York. “The only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump,” he said.
Well....he was right about Bush at least.

BigAl1992

I know I've already said this in the other thread and I'm late to the punch on this, but I'll say it anyway; this is May's way of making Boris actually deliver on all those promises the leave campaign made. If he succeeds, then it's a masterstroke by May. If he fails, well he's done for.

newjeruse

He has gone all the way to insult, mock and deride the entire EU, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and God knows how many other people.

This person is now the top head of the UK's diplomatic efforts.

Somebody do me a solid and find me some verbatim quotes from this gas bag.
Kind of reminds me of when George W. Bush named John Bolton as the ambassador to the UN.

Acorn

I'm watching BBC News right now - they've been thoroughly neutered, haven't they?

It's funny to think that some still accuse the beeb of being biased.
And tories too. Laura Knuessberg basically did a 45 minute love poem to Theresa May. I'm sure it's still biased to labour somehow though.

Furyous

Considering the bad place Britain is in after Brexit. They'll rely on the goodwill of a lot of these places Boris dissed to aid them. China is on record as saying it will take a decade and 500 million euros in order to negotiate a trade deal with them. This is not the person that needs to rep anywhere during a time of crisis. It's weird seeing a lack of fucks giving political candidate that does not care about anyone besides his own people. I say this as an American that deals with all our bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom