• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Born Sexy Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying all nerdy men are like this, or even that nerd culture is <x>. But I wonder if there's a bit of insecurity rooted in the culture not being seen as the most macho man in the room, which in turn drives this phenomenon- the whole desire to be seen as the greatest and best.

I don't know. I'm speaking in generalities here.
Definitely some truth to that. They can't control the real world, but fictional women? They'll take that opportunity, to deny their wish fulfillment the agency to think for themselves.

Joyful

Solid video. Society really needs to let go of its idea that innocence is a virtue.
that seems to be the trend
we live in a "sex positive" society now and people are fucking each other at younger and younger ages
virginity is treated like a joke for some reason though
yeah its going great

that seems to be the trend
we live in a "sex positive" society now and people are fucking each other at younger and younger ages
virginity is treated like a joke for some reason though
yeah its going great
What is virginity in anime/manga treated like, usually?

Mutant

Pretty good video

Although his last point:
"Innocence is not sexy"
It clearly is to a lot of people.
Yeah. It was at that point when I thought "Is this John McIntosh?" And the video was going go well!

Just reiterate that the trope is super pathetic.

read about the director and his second marriage for super creepy.

Yep. The reason I will only watch The Professional and not the Leon cut. People argue that the love is innocent, but when you look at his actual life, I cant accept that the mind behind it only had pure thoughts.

Spladam

That was a very clever video, he really nailed that trope, liked and subbed. Glad somebody pointed this out, so much of our society is ruled by male fantasy. Like shooting the bad guys with our guns and saving folks.

Edit: You guys are gonna love one of his other videos, Donald Trump: Lovable Sitcom Misogynist

Agree with 99% of the video but I have to call him out for his BIG reading. The character of Susan fell in love with Tom Hanks character because he was young and naive at heart and wasn't jaded like the adult men. Not as lascivious as with male characters but it was Tom Hanks child like qualities that she fell in love with.

Also if he was going to bring up Brendon Frasers films he probably should have brought up Encino Man and George of the Jungle as examples of woman finding the born sexy yesterday trope attractive.

MV5BMTMzMDQxNzQ5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDE4NDI3._V1_.jpg

Yeah. George of the Jungle is the only example of a male version of this played straight that I could think of.

Anyway, this is video was fantastic. This is one of those things that I hadn't noticed before.

docbon

Yep. The reason I will only watch The Professional and not the Leon cut. People argue that the love is innocent, but when you look at his actual life, I cant accept that the mind behind it only had pure thoughts.

Peep the original script if you want to be mega creeped out.

What is virginity in anime/manga treated like, usually?

When you break this trope in manga, you get shit like this...

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mark it earlier - NSFW items on link.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/11/10/“second-hand”-nagi-provokes-otaku-storm/

The revelation that flat goddess Nagi-sama, of Kannagi, had a boyfriend and thus may not in fact be a virgin has provoked a storm of outrage on 2ch, with obsessive fans vowing to throw out their manga, cancel their dakimakura orders, etc. Otaku viciously proclaim they have no need of a ”second-hand" wife.

Their histrionics are seen as all the more ridiculous considering no actual allusion to sex has even been made, just the introduction of an ”ex-boyfriend character".

Shaanyboi

Banned
You could say the same thing about Thor in the first movie.

No? At worst, he was culturally ignorant of the specific workings of Earth. But he's still a fucking prince, soon-to-be-king, an adventurer., a leader, and a war hero. He's not ignorant of his own sex appeal, nor does he need the world explained to him.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
No? At worst, he was culturally ignorant of the specific workings of Earth. But he's still a fucking prince, soon-to-be-king, an adventurer., a leader, and a war hero. He's not ignorant of his own sex appeal, nor does he need the world explained to him.
Yes he does. In fact they explain many things about the world to him.

What about george of the jungle as a better example?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yes he does. In fact they explain many things about the world to him.

What about george of the jungle as a better example?

Thor needs an explanation of Earth tech like cars or phones, and why it's customarily frowned upon to smash dishware. He doesn't need to be taught about how his penis works like he's a child.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The fact remains that he's a prince and brutish and doesn't understand the world, and walks around topless. That's about the equivalent of born sexy yesterday for the female gender.

Noobcraft

I watched Tangled yesterday and this got to me. It is kind of both ways in Tangled though, as Rapunzel gets introduced into the physical outside world and Flynn gets introduced to basic humanity (how to be a good guy).

Shaanyboi

Banned
The fact remains that he's a prince and brutish and doesn't understand the world, and walks around topless. That's about the equivalent of born sexy yesterday for the female gender.

Even if it were, I would hardly say there's some equivalence between Thor, and the notion presented in the video here based around predatory behavior towards childish naivety. One is a helluva lot creepier.

When you break this trope in manga, you get shit like this...

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mark it earlier - NSFW items on link.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/11/10/“second-hand”-nagi-provokes-otaku-storm/

The revelation that flat goddess Nagi-sama, of Kannagi, had a boyfriend and thus may not in fact be a virgin has provoked a storm of outrage on 2ch, with obsessive fans vowing to throw out their manga, cancel their dakimakura orders, etc. Otaku viciously proclaim they have no need of a “second-hand” wife.
Their histrionics are seen as all the more ridiculous considering no actual allusion to sex has even been made, just the introduction of an “ex-boyfriend character”.
Oh man, these manga people need lives. And social aptitude, stat.

Corpekata

Banned
Why are people even using George of the Jungle as the reference point when the source material it is a parody of exists?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Forbidden Planet scene was the creepiest for me (besides Chobits, which didn't even use an adult-looking woman) in that video---straight up felt uncomfortable.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
watching the video, my thoughts: some men want submissive naive women, who hang onto their every word like they are wise and sage. who see that special undefined trait in said man and they want them to have sex with them also?, I am for one am shocked!!

shocked I tell thee

also a good video.

I like species as it plays with this trope in some respects.

manga link got blocked at work, let's hope I don't get in trouble with I.T. haha

Ran rp

watching the video, my thoughts: some men want submissive naive women, who hang onto their every word like they are wise and sage. who see that special undefined trait in said man and they want them to have sex with them also?, I am for one am shocked!!

shocked I tell thee

also a good video.

I like species as it plays with this trope in some respects.

manga link got blocked at work, let's hope I don't get in trouble with I.T. haha

that site is as nsfw as it gets, unfortunately

Yeah. It's quite common in anime, so I was surprised that there wasn't already some sort of formalized name for it. It's quite creepy when you think about it, because the male has almost all the power in that situation -- he has a very very strong influence on her personality, love interests...ect.
I feel like there are a lot of anime where the men are completely powerless while the women have more experience in the world, but they still fall for them, because of their convictions. There's got to be a word for that trope.

BTW guys, link is NSFW, but WHAT THE FUCK is up with those comments. Holy shit. I don't want to generalize about fans of a particular visual media from Japan, but... I'm now giving the shifty eye towards anybody with avatars from this particular Japanese media.

It's not like we don't get it already. Give me all your shifty eyes.

Both are creepy.
Why is George of the jungle less creepy than the Tron situation?

I'm guessing because it's an incredibly silly live-action cartoon Tarzan parody, played for really dumb laughs and almost nothing else.

I haven't watched it since i was a kid mind you but I bet if he would've done a comparison between that film and the others, you would've felt the difference.

Shaanyboi

Banned
BTW guys, link is NSFW, but WHAT THE FUCK is up with those comments. Holy shit. I don't want to generalize about fans of a particular visual media from Japan, but... I'm now giving the shifty eye towards anybody with avatars from this particular Japanese media.

The anime avatar is well on its way to being the new fedora.

kswiston

Haven't seen it either. It seem to be about time travelling to the future. I think that's a somewhat effective change that does diminish the creepiness that could come from translating Big 1:1 with gender swap. At the very least any love interests are still of her actual age when she come back to the past.

13 Going on 30 is about a junior high girl who is unhappy that she is unpopular at school, so she wishes that she was 30 years old. She wakes up in her 30 year old body/life, but has none of the experience and is still a 13 year old mentally. All of the gags are about a naive and innocent 13 year old interacting with jaded adults in the fashion industry or something like that.

The love interest is an actual 30 year old man, who was her best friend at 13.

ItIsOkBro

anyone else worried wonder woman is gonna play right into this?

saw a tv spot for the first time after seeing this vid...chris pine asking "you've never seen a man before?"...wonder woman surprising chris pine with her fighting skills and this video notes that these born sexy yesterday woman usually excel in combat...and of course it looks like she falls for chris pine, the first man she meets on earth.

I hate this trope but I never had a name for it till now.

One of the main reasons why I strongly disliked Bioshock Infinite.

Edit: Bringing threads up back from the grave, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom