• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boruto |OT| Naruto Next Generations

Do you guys like Sarada and Boruto more than Sasuke and Naruto?

The problem with Naruto as a kid is that if you believe his story he supposedly lives a miserable life until he became a genin and somehow became a friend of Sasuke, but then in the flashbacks you see that Kiba, Shikamaru, Shouji and Naruto were good friends to each other even if they treated Naruto like an idiot for behaving like an idiot (and even then, he had a fan). So his childhood wasn't really as bad as they presented it to you in the very first episode; the manga did a poor job in that regard because the relationships between all those characters appeared in flashbacks that kind of destroyed the idea that Naruto was being ostracized by everyone. The anime in the other hand, had tons of fillers where at least you see how Naruto build more relationships with his peers.

And then we have Boruto... and we see how Studio Pierrot is making a better character by making him interact with other characters in the same way Naruto did in the past, but that they presented to us later as fillers. In short, Boruto is more likeable because he's surrounded by other characters, while Naruto's characterization suffered because Kishimoto told us he was an ostracized boy like Gaara and then he was like "well, he still had good friends". Boruto's characterization is better because they are taking their time to build a character this time instead of showing tons of fights and then say "well, these characters are best buds ever, let's go to the next arc".

And as for Sasuke and Sarada, I don't have an opinion yet but I hated the importance they gave to Sasuke after the Chunin exams so my opinion may be biased.

Khezu

I kinda hope they don't go past the movie for awhile.

I like Boruto hanging out with his buddies over being in a 3 man cell with Sarada and Mitsuki. So I would like Sarada to take a backseat for awhile and Mitsuki and can just tag along I guess.

I like Boruto hanging out with his buddies over being in a 3 man cell with Sarada and Mitsuki. So I would like Sarada to take a backseat for awhile and Mitsuki and can just tag along I guess.
This is what I don't like that they stayed on the traditional path. Would've been much more interesting if the teams were awhole lot different

Fj0823

Well, Sarada will be taking the spotlight soon if they're going to adhere to manga canon

theWB27

Maybe its because i miss my favorite ninja but i got some pervy sage vibes from the movie star boruto fought at certain points.

The problem with Naruto as a kid is that if you believe his story he supposedly lives a miserable life until he became a genin and somehow became a friend of Sasuke, but then in the flashbacks you see that Kiba, Shikamaru, Shouji and Naruto were good friends to each other even if they treated Naruto like an idiot for behaving like an idiot (and even then, he had a fan). So his childhood wasn't really as bad as they presented it to you in the very first episode; the manga did a poor job in that regard because the relationships between all those characters appeared in flashbacks that kind of destroyed the idea that Naruto was being ostracized by everyone. The anime in the other hand, had tons of fillers where at least you see how Naruto build more relationships with his peers.

And then we have Boruto... and we see how Studio Pierrot is making a better character by making him interact with other characters in the same way Naruto did in the past, but that they presented to us later as fillers. In short, Boruto is more likeable because he's surrounded by other characters, while Naruto's characterization suffered because Kishimoto told us he was an ostracized boy like Gaara and then he was like "well, he still had good friends". Boruto's characterization is better because they are taking their time to build a character this time instead of showing tons of fights and then say "well, these characters are best buds ever, let's go to the next arc".

And as for Sasuke and Sarada, I don't have an opinion yet but I hated the importance they gave to Sasuke after the Chunin exams so my opinion may be biased.

Naruto had some horrible retcons going on that radically changed how people should have reacted in his past.

The first chapter presented naruto as the fox ion human form. The second? a kid with the fox sealed into him. Both were presented as something that made one a pariah.

Late series? Several other hosts existed, wives of hokages even! From a clan that was once closely allied to the shenju. Oh, and bijou were the lynchpin of national defense and balance of power.

That alone should have radically changed naruto's childhood. He wasn't some nobody, he was a hokage child, with the villages WMD. He should have been trained as a nationally strategic asset from day 1. Ditto for Gaara.

Naruto, as a manga, was obviously lacking in any sort of formal long term planning, and I get the feeling it was largely made up arc by arc.

Naruto had some horrible retcons going on that radically changed how people should have reacted in his past.

The first chapter presented naruto as the fox ion human form. The second? a kid with the fox sealed into him. Both were presented as something that made one a pariah.

Late series? Several other hosts existed, wives of hokages even! From a clan that was once closely allied to the shenju. Oh, and bijou were the lynchpin of national defense and balance of power.

That alone should have radically changed naruto's childhood. He wasn't some nobody, he was a hokage child, with the villages WMD. He should have been trained as a nationally strategic asset from day 1. Ditto for Gaara.

Naruto, as a manga, was obviously lacking in any sort of formal long term planning, and I get the feeling it was largely made up arc by arc.

While a lot of that is true, dont forgrt most of the village views the 9 taila as the thing that killes the 4th and left a LOT of orphans around.

While a lot of that is true, dont forgrt most of the village views the 9 taila as the thing that killes the 4th and left a LOT of orphans around.

So? They have lived with the nine tails hosts since the village was founded. They know there is a difference, so why punish the host? It makes no sense given end series knowledge.

LotusHD

Banned
I dont understand the comparison, SasuNaru is litrally the best thing in Japanese literature. Anyway Im more of a Boruto Shikadai fan.

giphy.gif

VeeP

So? They have lived with the nine tails hosts since the village was founded. They know there is a difference, so why punish the host? It makes no sense given end series knowledge.

Pretty much. Your telling me the Third, Kakashi, or Danzig wouldn't have taken care of Naruto properly? The reason Naruto has so many plot holes like this is because there were so many retcons like you said.

Ross61

To be fair, most of the people who despised Naruto where judgmental normal people who weren't really knowledgeable on the subject. Ninja were just apprehensive as Naruto was just a child and had no one to keep the 9 tails at toe.

And I mean Naruto had to have some financial support. He had no job yet had his own apartment with food.

To be fair, most of the people who despised Naruto where judgmental normal people who weren't really knowledgeable on the subject. Ninja were just apprehensive as Naruto was just a child and had no one to keep the 9 tails at toe.

And I mean Naruto had to have some financial support. He had no job yet had his own apartment with food.

How about his seal master of a godfather? That alone is an enormous plot hole.

Ross61

How about his seal master of a godfather? That alone is an enormous plot hole.

Wasn't Jiraiya always on the move tho?

Edit: Seems in a filler episode Hiruzen used to come by and spend time with Naruto and give him allowance for the month. I don't know if this would be canon but.....

Wasn't Jiraiya always on the move tho?

Couldn't even write a damn letter to his godson.

Kishi does the same forced drama bullshit with Sasuke and Sarada, we know for a fact Sasuke can communicate with the village since he sends reports to Naruto, jesus fuck Sasuke send your daugther a goddamn teddy bear or something.

Actually it is more believeable Sasuke would be that much of a shithead, he was pretty ok in the Boruto movie though.

I really enjoyed the movie. I got classic Bart Simpson vibe from Boruto and liked how many times they mentioned how Boruto is not like is father to drive the point the sequel won't be too much a retread. I should start this series.

Ross61

Also, why does Naruto and Boruto and Himawari have whiskers again when Kushina doesn't have whiskers? And I don't buy the Kurama influenced Naruto in the womb because neither Tsunade nor Kawaki have them.

Going to take this comparison to the entire cast. The cast in Boruto pale in comparison to the one on Naruto, for a simple but fundamental reason: they have little identity.

Many of the characters are derivative (Shikadai, Inojin, Metal Lee, Boruto to an extent), so there's little originality, in terms of characters and battle techniques, but more importantly the characters lack conflict that defines their motives and actions.

You don't see the inner turmoil of Sasuke with his lust for revenge, or Gaara's bloodthirst, or Naruto's inability to control Kurama. You don't even see conflict like Ino and Sakura's rivalry or Lee's insecurity.

There's no significance in the majority of interactions between characters mainly due to this and the plot feels stagnant despite events happening.

Also, why does Naruto and Boruto and Himawari have whiskers again when Kushina doesn't have whiskers? And I don't buy the Kurama influenced Naruto in the womb because neither Tsunade nor Kawaki have them.

Well Kushina was pregnant with Naruto as a Jinchūriki so that is the assumed reason for why Naruto has the whiskers.

Kushina's Mother and Father weren't Jinchūrikis. (never saw them)

Mito Uzumaki is Tsunade's Grandmother and not her Mother; by the time Tsunade was born she wasn't born via a Jinchūriki parent. (Her Mom or her Dad weren't Jinchūrikis).

An example to summarize this is that Naruto has the whiskers due to his mother being the Jinchūriki of the 9tails during her pregnancy.

Naruto was the current Jinchūriki of the 9tails when Hinata was pregnant, therefore Boruto and Hima received the marks.

If Hima or Boruto either have a family in the future and are not the 9tailed Jinchūriki by then, the child will not have whiskers.

As to why the marks were two strokes on either check instead of three could be due to multiple forms of speculation. One that I can think off is that Hinata was the one who carried the womb and not Naruto. Another being that Naruto is a lesser Uzumaki then his Mother (and the Uzumaki are known for their life force and transfer.) therefore Kushina had a more efficient transfeer of 9tail chakra to her womb then a lesser Uzumaki.

Real Reason: Kishi wanted to have a fox kid, and editors wanted the main protagonist to have a design mark that is unique to the cast.

Was Hanabi always this awesome? I remembered her being a quiet kid in the original series. I assumed she'd be more of a kuudere.

I wish Hinata came to visit as well. It would have been cool to see how her relationship with her dad progressed as they got older.

theWB27

Was Hanabi always this awesome? I remembered her being a quiet kid in the original series. I assumed she'd be more of a kuudere.

I wish Hinata came to visit as well. It would have been cool to see how her relationship with her dad progressed as they got older.

Hanabi was amazing.

Been watching Boruto and I'm quite enjoying it ;reminds me alot of early bits of Naruto which were my favorite. Only real issue I have is so many characters are clones of one of their parents in looks and personality ; Whats going on here does the Leaf villiage reproduce by budding or what.

rambis

Banned

She was stronger than Hinata at a very young age. She's been a great fighter to say the least.

Right, this is why I absolutely cringe that anyone can act like SP slightly altering or expanding past events is some grand crime when Kishi made this his calling card.

The new characters are far better and more believable. They are actually shown building character versus us just being told it. I think the fact that Boruto isn't such an idiot makes him more likeable as well.

Here's an excerpt of an interview from Kodachi(writer for both anime/manga) on Kishi's involvement thus far. Im sure somebody will dispute this because.....reasons...
http://www.spirallingsphere.com/201...tos-extremely-carefull-supervision-of-boruto/
“Boruto is created under Mr Kishimoto’s careful (extremely careful) supervision, but episode 8 and 9 were originally one episode, and it became two episodes due to thoughts such as “let’s expand this because it’s interesting”, “let’s add to that”, “let’s go with this type of theme” from Mr Kishimoto and I. And Miwa (Kiyomune Miwa) who does the scripts worked very hard due to this excitement from us.”

Kinda explains why there was no real progression from 8 to 9. But just to confirm, Kishi is still heavily involved in the series...

Fj0823

She was stronger than Hinata at a very young age. She's been a great fighter to say the least.

Right, this is why I absolutely cringe that anyone can act like SP slightly altering or expanding past events is some grand crime when Kishi made this his calling card.

The new characters are far better and more believable. They are actually shown building character versus us just being told it. I think the fact that Boruto isn't such an idiot makes him more likeable as well.

Here's an excerpt of an interview from Kodachi(writer for both anime/manga) on Kishi's involvement thus far. Im sure somebody will dispute this because.....reasons...
http://www.spirallingsphere.com/201...tos-extremely-carefull-supervision-of-boruto/

Kinda explains why there was no real progression from 8 to 9. But just to confirm, Kishi is still heavily involved in the series...

This a Dragon Ball Super situation were the creator is focused on developing the animesame and gives the bare minimum attention to the manga resulting in the manga author doing whatever the fuck he wants right?

rambis

Banned
This a Dragon Ball Super situation were the creator is focused on developing the animesame and gives the bare minimum attention to the manga resulting in the manga author doing whatever the fuck he wants right?

I think the key difference is that Kodachi is the main writer for both the manga and anime. I don't think there will be much variance in the stories at all. It does seem like the anime is the prime focus though. Kishi has previously said that he plans on making the anime better than Shippuden.

Going to take this comparison to the entire cast. The cast in Boruto pale in comparison to the one on Naruto, for a simple but fundamental reason: they have little identity.

Many of the characters are derivative (Shikadai, Inojin, Metal Lee, Boruto to an extent), so there's little originality, in terms of characters and battle techniques, but more importantly the characters lack conflict that defines their motives and actions.

You don't see the inner turmoil of Sasuke with his lust for revenge, or Gaara's bloodthirst, or Naruto's inability to control Kurama. You don't even see conflict like Ino and Sakura's rivalry or Lee's insecurity.

There's no significance in the majority of interactions between characters mainly due to this and the plot feels stagnant despite events happening.

To the first, it's implied that the kids are trained by their families to fit a certain role. Ino's dad look like her, when Choji grows up he has the same powers and appearance as his father, Shikamaru is the same, Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura fill the role of the sannin, which eventually passed to their children; even people who are not related to others try to fit a role like Lee trying to be like Gai. One could even say that this behavior is encouraged by the hole village as if to always count with the same kind of "resources".

To the second: I'm glad there are no lust for revenge or rivalries over who would be someone's boyfriend because that led to the focus on Sasuke and the oh, so amazing Sharingan and we don't need that in Boruto again imo.

Jonnax

On the lack of character motivations. They make a point of it with that older student guy that gets held back. There's been a lack of war and conflict over them last ten years.

Children are growing up living ordinary lives.
I think that's one of the things the anime wants to tell. Of course until evens that cause that flashforward start happening.

To the first, it's implied that the kids are trained by their families to fit a certain role. Ino's dad look like her, when Choji grows up he has the same powers and appearance as his father, Shikamaru is the same, Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura fill the role of the sannin, which eventually passed to their children; even people who are not related to others try to fit a role like Lee trying to be like Gai. One could even say that this behavior is encouraged by the hole village as if to always count with the same kind of "resources".

To the second: I'm glad there are no lust for revenge or rivalries over who would be someone's boyfriend because that led to the focus on Sasuke and the oh, so amazing Sharingan and we don't need that in Boruto again imo.

Your poitn about InoShikaCHo isn't exactly true because, though they were following their familial route, those powers were never shown prior their feats. The first time we mind transfer is with Ino. The first time we see the butterfly is with Choji etc.

So even if they followed, they were presented in a unique way that not only defined their characters but made it interesting.

Everything you list, especially the sannin example, has the cast differentiate themselves or be presented in a unique manner.

No conflict just leads to a boring and often shallow story, which is exactly why most are disappointed with Boruto thus far.

No, because DBS has a base script written by Toriyama.
Boruto has no writing from Kishi.

People thinking Kishi's supervision means anything, when he was consulted during certain SP fillers in the past as well.

Red Fire

Your poitn about InoShikaCHo isn't exactly true because, though they were following their familial route, those powers were never shown prior their feats. The first time we mind transfer is with Ino. The first time we see the butterfly is with Choji etc.

So even if they followed, they were presented in a unique way that not only defined their characters but made it interesting.

Everything you list, especially the sannin example, has the cast differentiate themselves or be presented in a unique manner.

No conflict just leads to a boring and often shallow story, which is exactly why most are disappointed with Boruto thus far.

No, because DBS has a base script written by Toriyama.
Boruto has no writing from Kishi.

People thinking Kishi's supervision means anything, when he was consulted during certain SP fillers in the past as well.

Lol at the bolded. You are the only one trying hard to talk the series down in this thread. Every other comment is positive. From my personal experience everyone i know who watches this series is praising it too.

So what is this bullshit statement?

The only reason Pyshco hates it is because

Sarada barely gets any screen time, Sakura is only in the opening, and Sasuke is who knows were.

It is like having a baseball lover watch soccer/football games. Physcho watches Boruto the anime for SasuSaku and Sarada but so far all of that is lacking.

Shoot I want more sarada,Sakura and sasuke shenanigans too. Aside from my main man shikadai who's being favorited just like his father was(and I'm 100% ok with) Sarada is the next kid I'm hyped for. It's pretty much boruto,Mitsuki and shikadai the most. Where the hell metal go!

rambis

Banned
I mean we could start a reddit with the amount of interviews that has Kishi saying how he's working on this series. The fact that PM tries desperately to deny it at every point is hilarious and offputting.

Pein

Banned
The only reason Pyshco hates it is because

Sarada barely gets any screen time, Sakura is only in the opening, and Sasuke is who knows were.

It is like having a baseball lover watch soccer/football games. Physcho watches Boruto the anime for SasuSaku and Sarada but so far all of that is lacking.

This is all very true, I need more sakura asap.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

It was never stated they were friends, at most they were probably acquaintances that occasionally hung out with naruto, but when they parents came to get them (and who knows if their parents even liked naruto or not, the konoha 11 parents seem to be alright people for the most part tho) he will just be alone, no buddy to walk home with or anything, just kinda goes home alone and is home alone.

It was never stated they were friends, at most they were probably acquaintances that occasionally hung out with naruto, but when they parents came to get them (and who knows if their parents even liked naruto or not, the konoha 11 parents seem to be alright people for the most part tho) he will just be alone, no buddy to walk home with or anything, just kinda goes home alone and is home alone.
I mean idk about that it's more of a stretch to say they weren't friends

Moaradin

Yeah, every place I've been to that isn't a diehard Naruto community (GAF, Reddit, etc.) has said that it's surprisingly enjoyable. A lot of people that have been burned by Naruto have been getting into Boruto and liking it.

Yeah, every place I've been to that isn't a diehard Naruto community (GAF, Reddit, etc.) has said that it's surprisingly enjoyable. A lot of people that have been burned by Naruto have been getting into Boruto and liking it.
I mean it's pretty much gives you that og naruto feeling. Unless they pull a shippuden later of course in which case ppls tones will change lol

Pein

Banned
Basically, reminds me of a simpler time, when shit wasn't all DBZ and convoluted lmao

Yeah, I don't ever want the power scaling of something like the bijuu or prefect susanoo again. Was it cool? yeah but I preferred the power levels maxing out at sage mode and regular MS.

Mangekyo Sharingan wankery was a bit much but at least it fucked you up for using it and people could still bust your ass even if you had it.

I mean it's pretty much gives you that og naruto feeling. Unless they pull a shippuden later of course in which case ppls tones will change lol

that seems likely looking at the flash foward of the village destroyed AGAIN and more magic eye stuff

however Boruto is building a stronger foundation that Naruto did

I wonder how many seasons and episodes we will have before the time skip.

And hopefully we get an open world customizable Naruto game one day.

CrazyDude

I am guessing time skip will have Sasuke and Boruto going on a training trip like Jiraiya and Naruto, but this time someone actually learns something.

I'm kind of interested how sword fighting will changed the way Boruto fights.

I am guessing time skip will have Sasuke and Boruto going on a training trip like Jiraiya and Naruto, but this time someone actually learns something.

I'm kind of interested how sword fighting will changed the way Boruto fights.
Lmao most underwhelming training time skip by Far!

Top Bottom