• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boruto |OT| Naruto Next Generations

brinstar

y'know thinking about it... Suigetsu must go long stretches without having any contact with Karin for him to even think her giving birth to Sarada was a possibility

y'know thinking about it... Suigetsu must go long stretches without having any contact with Karin for him to even think her giving birth to Sarada was a possibility

who keeps other peoples umbilical cords in their desks so casually? "ohh this person I've not talked to in a while. I got her placenta goodness, right herrrrr" xD

Yado

Doubt it, every one was just being really dumb for the sake of the plot.

Before Hebi or even Taka, Karin was in charge of a Orochimaru facility all on her own. Isolated from society on a island in the middle of the ocean.

Now that Orochimaru is being monitored and in some cases on house arrest. He likely made Karin take charge of a particular facility in his absence.

Of course minus the prisoners and what not since Sasuke freed them all. Also in Sasuke Shinden (you guys should watch the anime adaptation: It covers episodes 484 to 488 of Shippuden). Sasuke on his road to redemption deals with little injustices and underground stuff that is not under the ninja villages jurisdiction (even in the manga he is said to be feared in the underworld). So who knows what Orochimaru does now since everything now is basically being monitored and shut down. (He some how still reincarnated himself with someone's body to get his Gaiden look, unless he just produces Zetsu clones).

brinstar

I know Karin works far away from the others but you'd think they'd check in once in a while. Her potentially having a baby without his notice at all was just amusing to me cause it means they must go long amounts of time without any contact.

Also same with Sasuke! He didn't meet Boruto until he was like 12 lol. How long has he been away, jeez

Sesha

I found it funny how the Kage talked about the next generation not being impressive with their bodyguards being in earshot. The whole discussion was silly considering, aside from Naruto and Gaara, the other three Kage were pretty scrubby compared to their predecessors. Darui was the most impressive amongst them, and he was far less impressive than the Fourth.

I found it funny how the Kage talked about the next generation not being impressive with their bodyguards being in earshot. The whole discussion was silly considering, aside from Naruto and Gaara, the other three Kage were pretty scrubby compared to their predecessors. Darui was the most impressive amongst them, and he was far less impressive than the Fourth.

Do we even know how strong the kages are currently?

Ross61

Woah, NONE of them were slouches before the became Kage.

The Gokage thing is pretty funny considering Boruto's Dad would stomp them all by himself and the only person close to him is essentially his left hand who would still lose badly.

Sesha

Do we even know how strong the kages are currently?

We saw them fight in Boruto the movie, where they more or less did the same stuff they did pre-Kage.

Woah, NONE of them were slouches before the became Kage.

Ladykage and Glasseskage didn't really do much before they became Kage. Though I guess they did more than others from their villages, that is, to say, more than nothing.

Anyway, the point is, before becoming Kage none of them were super impressive compared to their predecessors, so them throwing shade about the next generation is ridiculous. And Gaara and Naruto have an unfair advantage by having been/being Jinchuuriki, of which there will be no more.

Pein

Banned
Chojuro is cool y'all tripping and so is Darui, only person who never really's shown battle experience is kurotsuchi.

Also it's not fair to compare naruto to The other kage.

Chojuro was such a good design, all the 7 swordsmen ever revealed had some good designs.

EhoaVash

So uh I can't remember but what happened to the other tailed beasts? Are they like roaming in the wild now ? If so what's to say another organization/ powerful person is out there hunting them down or what if the tailed beast start causing some kind of havoc.

Who is keeping them in check?

Pein

Banned
So uh I can't remember but what happened to the other tailed beasts? Are they like roaming in the wild now ? If so what's to say another organization/ powerful person is out there hunting them down or what if the tailed beast start causing some kind of havoc.

I don't even think that's been revealed and even if somebody did get them world police duo naruto and sasuke would wreck you even if you had 1-7

They're roaming wild, but Naruto has a little bit of chakra from all of them and 9 tails keeps tabs on them and acts as their emissary. So if somebody attempted to recapture them, he'd know almost right away. They talk about it at the end of Shippuden.

Liking the kids a ton more in this series so far. Hopefully the ladies actually get to kick as much ass as the guys this time.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
They're roaming wild, but Naruto has a little bit of chakra from all of them and 9 tails keeps tabs on them and acts as their emissary. So if somebody attempted to recapture them, he'd know almost right away. They talk about it at the end of Shippuden.

Liking the kids a ton more in this series so far. Hopefully the ladies actually get to kick as much ass as the guys this time.

But... Hachibi
was captured in the movie and Naruto was completely unaware of the fact.

MartyStu

We can hope, but I doubt it.

Watching a bit of Shippuden now, it is hilarious just how much the writer short-changed Sakura. I find myself rooting for her even more than I did the first time around.

She may actually be my favorite member of Team 7. Mostly by default, but still...

The class is cruel for agreeing to Boruto as their leader while he was tied up, and about that, I hope we get some random plot with Boruto, Naruto, and Konohamaru trying to pull pranks together.
DKKmTbnVwAAlmYU.jpg:small

Kagura is great design and Boruto makes some great faces.
DKKmk-lVAAAO4mj.jpg

I know Karin works far away from the others but you'd think they'd check in once in a while. Her potentially having a baby without his notice at all was just amusing to me cause it means they must go long amounts of time without any contact.

Also same with Sasuke! He didn't meet Boruto until he was like 12 lol. How long has he been away, jeez
Sasuke is a dad that barely remembered what his daughter looked like. Him not meeting Boruto till he was 12 actually makes sense.

Pein

Banned
I like the designs of the two mist kids that fought with boruto, love that the sharp teeth thing is still a design trait of the mist, the shark people thing is nice too.

I wonder if that kagura kid is gonna have the fang lightning swords as his weapon, the tattoo on his face looks like one.

Good episode and it’s nice that kiri is even more modern than konoha.

Finished shippuden

started a couple episodes of Boruto--I don't get it, all that emphasis on Naruto becoming Hokage and they don't actually show it? The final 10 episodes of Shippuden seemed really odd to me--almost like filler. I didn't understand why the series didn't just end with Naruto becoming Hokage.

Did I miss a movie or something?

Finished shippuden

started a couple episodes of Boruto--I don't get it, all that emphasis on Naruto becoming Hokage and they don't actually show it? The final 10 episodes of Shippuden seemed really odd to me--almost like filler. I didn't understand why the series didn't just end with Naruto becoming Hokage.

Did I miss a movie or something?
It's in the later episodes. The whole thing was covered in a one shot before Boruto came out any way. It's honestly something that anybody that read the manga already knows about.

Kishimoto interview about what Naruto was first, the many changes to the series to the editorial team, retcons due to OP set pieces in the beginning of the series, the team structure, etc....

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:164031

Interview is old but I for one never knew a majority of this....

if you don't want to read it this youtuber breaks it down efficiently in a digestible way (Sawyer7mage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0O40MhHVUM

basically a ton of creative control and editor control being a battle

Kishimoto interview about what Naruto was first, the many changes to the series to the editorial team, retcons due to OP set pieces in the beginning of the series, the team structure, etc....

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:164031

Interview is old but I for one never knew a majority of this....

if you don't want to read it this youtuber breaks it down efficiently in a digestible way (Sawyer7mage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0O40MhHVUM

basically a ton of creative control and editor control being a battle

This was really interesting. Particularly this part:

On Sakura’s popularity & character - Kobayashi then asks about Sakura. Kishimoto says he tried to write her more realistically [than other characters], and tried to show a girl’s ‘real’ self/ feelings [through inner Sakura]. He thought she would appeal to female fans, but was surprised when she actually became hated. Kobayashi asks if there was a lot of Sakura hate, and Kishimoto says there was, and even young girls told him they hate her. Kishimoto said that he continued on regretting Sakura’s character. Kobayashi apologizes for bringing up the painful memories as Kishimoto apologizes for tailing off (lol).

Kobayashi said that his team were discussing in a meeting why Sakura’s family was never written. He says that they eventually appeared in a movie, but not in the manga. Even when all the parents are shown along with their children during the war, and even random relatives are shown, Sakura’s parents aren’t seen. He says that they came across like a civilian family and kind of made Sakura seem on the side-lines. He asks Kishimoto why this is, and Kishimoto replies that, honestly speaking, Sakura was that unpopular that even if he expanded on her… (nb. He tails off in what he’s saying). Kobayashi reiterates Kishimoto’s statement, and Kishimoto tells him that’s right, to which Kobayashi laughs.

Kobayashi asks if it was too late to drop her, and Kishimoto says that he just had to persevere with her, and thought about how to raise her popularity. In the 4th volume, a cover page shows her with Katsuyu, so this was the direction he tried to work in. In later volumes, he tries to draw her more beautifully. On the cover page of Vol 66, he drew Sasuke and Naruto quickly, but with Sakura he took a long time to draw her beautifully and was using source materials as guides. But he says that in the end no one really took notice (it had no effect), and Hinata’s popularity just kept going up on its own.

Kishimoto explains that Hinata, like Sakura, never really did anything but her popularity just kept going up and up, so part way through the story he started to wonder whether he should make her the main heroine instead, or at least gradually write her into the direction of the heroine.

It's beginning to make more sense now. Sakura was unpopular from the get-go and she never really recovered.

But Sakura was never appealing to begin with. Her main motivation being affectious towards Sasuke was not a lot to go on for fans to care about her. Sasuke and Naruto had their rivalry and they were moving about at a great pace.
So why was Hinata more popular? Maybe it has something to do with Hinata being more of the hopeless damsal in distress, while Sakura was angry and bitchy all of the time?

It's not really fair. Sakura was totally shafted. Imagine how different the story would have been if her story and character development had counted as much as sasukes and narutos.

lol at Kishi's idea to make Sakura more popular being to draw her prettier, bruh, it's a fight manga.

I'll never forget Neji completely burying female ninjas during Sakura and Ino's fight, I don't know if that was in the manga but boy, HHH himself would be proud of that burial.

VeeP

So why was Hinata more popular? Maybe it has something to do with Hinata being more of the hopeless damsal in distress, while Sakura was angry and bitchy all of the time?

It's not really fair. Sakura was totally shafted. Imagine how different the story would have been if her story and character development had counted as much as sasukes and narutos.

Sakura, at least to me, was never likable. Like, ever. She was either being a jerk to Naruto or pining over Sasuke.

At least Hinata was somewhat likable. She wasn't rude or bossy, wasn't a jerk to Naruto, she tried her best, etc. It really doesn't have anything with her being a hopeless damsel in distress, at least IMO.

nah Hinata had a backstory

a unique power, a clan,a struggle and also wasn't a Sasuke fangirl

in part 1 people wanted to know more about the Hyuga clan and the drama happening there

what Kishi could've done for Sakura wasn't to make her more pretty but to instead develop her character and toss her into more fights, what we instead got was her rising in early part one but then dropping down dramatically post the Sasuke reunion arc

Gin-Shiio

"A woman finds her fullfilment through love" is the sentiment that keeps me from enjoying 90% of women's portrayal in the medium. I'm not blaming Kishimoto for that though; it's not exactly a secret Japan is a very patriarchal society.

Pein

Banned
Well what was Sakura’s defining trait as a character? She had no great fights during part 1 and she was getting side lined left and right.

Kishimoto made her weak and that was the problem, Her team mates were the genius and the jinchuriki. Naruto got rasengan and sasuke got chidori, Sakura had a scene pleading to sasuke not to leave.

I like Sakura as a character and she’s favorite female I the series but she never got the spot light in the way she needed, thank goodness the anime gave her some amazing fights and extra time.

Oh and Hinata had byakugan and a whole blood war thing with Neji and that shit was riveting of course she was more popular.

Oh and I rewatched some fight scenes on yt and saw the rock lee vs shira fight, that shit went fucking hard, lord for a filler fight it was better then any fight I’ve seen in DB super.

LotusHD

Banned
Sakura? Hated? Why, I never...

Kinda of fucked up how it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, because giving her even less to do only made people dislike her more. If he really wanted things to change, he should have made Sakura fucking get over Sasuke (Even Ino accomplished this!) by the time we're in the timeskip. That is, for me anyways, by far her most aggravating trait. Same for Naruto too I suppose, but he's the protagonist, so he gets the benefit of being a lot more fleshed out. But yea, now she's married to Sasuke, and while they are much more pleasant as adults, it's a relationship that is always going to nag at me...

As for Hinata's popularity, I dunno really. I mean, I always preferred that Naruto would end up with her, but she really wasn't on my mind like that, especially with Neji being around. But better/more tolerable than Sakura? Easily. And just the fact that she actually belongs to a clan, and a notable one at that, is more than enough frankly.

Pein

Banned
Sakura? Hated? Why, I never...

Kinda of fucked up how it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, because giving her even less to do only made people dislike her more. If he really wanted things to change, he should have made Sakura fucking get over Sasuke (Even Ino accomplished this!) by the time we're in the timeskip. That is, for me anyways, by far her most aggravating trait. Same for Naruto too I suppose, but he's the protagonist, so he gets the benefit of being a lot more fleshed out. But yea, now she's married to Sasuke, and while they are much more pleasant as adults, it's a relationship that is always going to nag at me...

As for Hinata's popularity, I dunno really. I mean, I always preferred that Naruto would end up with her, but she really wasn't on my mind like that, especially with Neji being around. But better/more tolerable than Sakura? Easily. And just the fact that she actually belongs to a clan, and a notable one at that, is more than enough frankly.
Eye powers were baller as fuck and hyuga are basically konoha royalty, Hinata had more stuff going on and Sakura was like some basic bitch in comparison.

I liked Sakura more when she started caring for lee and naruto and was actually worried about them and not just going nuts over the sauce.

charsace

Sakura should have been focused on being a great Shinobi. Instead she focused on being Sasuke woman from day one. That is what defined her. Why the hell would girls care about a character that wanted to be a housewife? The other two main characters were focused on things that people would be focused on and that made them interesting.

LotusHD

Banned
Eye powers were baller as fuck and hyuga are basically konoha royalty, Hinata had more stuff going on and Sakura was like some basic bitch in comparison.

I liked Sakura more when she started caring for lee and naruto and was actually worried about them and not just going nuts over the sauce.

It's crude af, but damn, the bolded really does kind of sum her character up back then. From personality, to a lack of unique powers/clan, to her Day 1 schoolgirl obsession with Sasuke, it's just all so... basic.

And I grew to hate Sasuke by the end of Naruto, but damn, at least I can say that he has made it clear multiple times that he was not into Sakura. He was an ass about it, but he was pretty damn clear. And yet somehow they became a thing. I just...

Alright, it's okay. We're beginning the chapter of Boruto now, it can't hurt me anymore.

Morlas

It also helps that Hinata didn't do nearly as much stupid shit *coughfakeloveconfessioncough* as Sakura and even if she wasn't given much to do she showed major appreciable character growth throughout the series

Khezu

Well what was Sakura’s defining trait as a character? She had no great fights during part 1 and she was getting side lined left and right.

Kishimoto made her weak and that was the problem, Her team mates were the genius and the jinchuriki. Naruto got rasengan and sasuke got chidori, Sakura had a scene pleading to sasuke not to leave.

I like Sakura as a character and she’s favorite female I the series but she never got the spot light in the way she needed, thank goodness the anime gave her some amazing fights and extra time.

Oh and Hinata had byakugan and a whole blood war thing with Neji and that shit was riveting of course she was more popular.

Oh and I rewatched some fight scenes on yt and saw the rock lee vs shira fight, that shit went fucking hard, lord for a filler fight it was better then any fight I’ve seen in DB super.

Even a lot of the crappier Naruto fights are way better then anything in Super.

And it's not even really an animation thing, a lot of DBZ/S fight choreography was just boring and straight forward.

OG DB had some cool fights though.

Anyone else find it weird how the scene just cut in the middle of Boruto's rant?

It seemed almost like a copout because they didn't know how it would be resolved, so why have that there in the first place?

Hinatas standout moment to me was when she tried protecting Naruto from Pain.

Sakuras best was probably her fight with Sasori and this recent episode. Her dynamic with Sarada is really interesting. Sarada is one of those independent kids who are not very affectious, and somehow there is this interesting dynamic between her and Sakura.

Top Bottom