• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

Corpekata

Banned
Since we have a few people playing, if you're on PC, are you using controller or KBAM, or trying both? Curious to know if KBAM is useable or not, looks pretty controller oriented.

It looks like this game may be 14 hours at most, one of the streamers playing on normal difficulty (which turned out to be a bit harder than he anticipated, he died a LOT of times on bosses and enemy mixes) and just when he got the hang of combat and expected more chapters, the game actually ended..granted he didn't do a lot side quests as far as I can tell but 14 hours for the main game sounds discouraging..I hope the reviewers are able to shed light on this, maybe he made a choice that cut part of the story?

Drewfonse

It looks like this game may be 14 hours at most, one of the streamers playing on normal difficulty (which turned out to be a bit harder than he anticipated, he died a LOT of times on bosses and enemy mixes) and just when he got the hang of combat and expected more chapters, the game actually ended..granted he didn't do a lot side quests as far as I can tell but 14 hours for the main game sounds discouraging..I hope the reviewers are able to shed light on this, maybe he made a choice that cut part of the story?

14 hours is a little shorter than I am hoping for, but I'm not sure that 14 hours at most is an accurate statement, unless he did all of the side stuff. More like 14 hours at least. Here's hoping for 20 hrs. Was he rushing through areas? Sometimes I think that people who stream early tend to rush more than the average person would, but that might be wishful thinking.

I would love to hear from reviewers about the potential for replay, given the multiple endings and choices that you make throughout the game. I'd be ecstatic if this game was fun enough to warrant a 2nd play through.

I've not beaten the game and can't say much again of course, but I will say that from what I've gathered and been told there is at least a couple endings and also the way people interact with you, the companions, differ on choices. As for 14 hours. That doesn't seem with all side stuff but that's just an estimate. I can easily see playing the game twice though.

Skyrims main quest line is less than 14 hrs. You really can't say that the game is short without knowing how much side content there is.

Shengar

Why I never heard about this game? I'll wait for reviews from gaming sites and impression from gaffers before jumped on this one.

Drewfonse

I've not beaten the game and can't say much again of course, but I will say that from what I've gathered and been told there is at least a couple endings and also the way people interact with you, the companions, differ on choices. As for 14 hours. That doesn't seem with all side stuff but that's just an estimate. I can easily see playing the game twice though.

Aaaaaand that's what I wanted to hear. Officially can't wait.

This looks miles better than their previous effort, Mars: War Logs. Not that the game was bad but it was overly ambitious for its own good and we ended up with a lot of features which were watered down. Completing that game took around 20-21 hours (all dialogue, sidequests etc) iirc.

Im interested in the game and even though every preview states that the protagonsts gender is customizable, i have yet to see a screenshot with a female protagonist.

Should i be worried?

;)

Loudninja

Im interested in the game and even though every preview states that the protagonsts gender is customizable, i have yet to see a screenshot with a female protagonist.

Should i be worried?

;)
Nope. :)
Yes you can. There is male/female. A few different faces/hair to select from and skin color. I have a feeling this will sell VERY well on PS4. People want new games for their new system and it's the first fantasy RPG on the system.

Can't wait first RPG of PS4 so exited. I just wish I has bit the bullet and bought Mars War logs on 360.
Hopefully BbF game sells well and we a long healthy relationship with Spider this generation.

If anything wants to try, Here is a 25% Off Voucher I got in my email from GMG.

9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

I was able to get Bound by Flame for $25.

fantomena

Since we have a few people playing, if you're on PC, are you using controller or KBAM, or trying both? Curious to know if KBAM is useable or not, looks pretty controller oriented.

Im using a controller. I tried a bit with KBAM and it worked well too.

-MD-

Nice. I grabbed it on Steam since it wasn't too expensive. Hope it's fun. The thing I fear most about people copying the Soul's series gameplay is, most of them don't copy it very well. Witcher 2 for example tried to go that route but ended up being clunky to start and then the game got ridiculously easy as you leveled up.

I've never heard someone compare Witcher 2's combat to Dark Souls.

OT: Can you play through the whole game going the Way of the Shadow route or are there specific times where you need to use magic/bigger weapons?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Action RPG genre wasn't invented by Souls games. Many games did it before and better.
Many games did it before but very few have done it better, I'd argue. It's really one of the very best.

Dark Souls is really VERY different from games like The Witcher, however. Not even worth comparing.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Should i be worried?

;)
There was a guy streaming last night on the PS4 live stream thing and he was playing as a chick.

ArjanN

Why the fuck does this "Dark Souls is the foundation" thing keep happening?

The best/most successful game in the genre becomes the new standard, even if it's not the most innovative or the game that did it first. Same with games like Diablo, Doom etc..

Drewfonse

Umm ahh.. This might have sold me on the game. Shame about the late embargo. Ugh.

True about that, but you'll see some embargoed impressions in this thread that should AT LEAST make you feel like this won't be a complete dud. I see virtually no chance of this being bad. I'm predicting above average review scores.

That puts me at ease a bit, i just hope the side quests have new enemy types :(

looked cool but my main issue that i see from the videos is on some of the hits the enemy doesn't have an animation reacting to the hit. i hate when games do that. i like to feel some weightiness behind the combat. i obviously havent played it but that's just what it looks like from youtube vids. i'll still try it out pending impressions

looked cool but my main issue that i see from the videos is on some of the hits the enemy doesn't have an animation reacting to the hit. i hate when games do that. i like to feel some weightiness behind the combat. i obviously havent played it but that's just what it looks like from youtube vids. i'll still try it out pending impressions

It was explained in a post somewhere that their lack of a reaction is due to their high tolerance of the player's attacks or the fact that the player character doesn't have a certain stat high enough to affect the enemy to stagger them.

Last post in the ot at the bottom answers that.

Lizardus

What do you mean? Like the enemy flinching after every hit? It would get boring fast.

fedexpeon

Banned
The dude on twitch was fighting a demon for fricken 5mins.
Life bar was dropping like 2% each hit =/.

Gameplay looks so slow, and adding in bullet time for dodge/parry, welp, more slowness.

I will probably get the game when it is around $30 though since I do like the concept for designing your weapon/armor.

Tariz

Banned
guy on twitch just beat the game in 16 hours, said he did every side mission he could find.

seems like a bargain bin/rent game to me, PS+ in a year

Currently reviewing this game. Can't say much but I am pleasantly surprised.

I mirror these thoughts.

Make it three

I mirror this mirror of sentiments towards the game in which I am embargoed and cannot discuss to any detail.

I know you guys can't say much but glad to hear the initial impressions are positive. Turns out this game came out earlier for us here in Hong Kong today, was having a hard time deciding whether to buy it or not because there's no review yet, but I really want something new to play on my day off tomorrow (Buddha's Birthday, fuck yeah). So I'll pick up a copy today if I can track it down, hopefully give you guys some early impression.

10177338_497161570406582_7590627237692606195_n.jpg

Fou-Lu

This OST is fricken' amazing. I hadn't even been considering this game until listening to it and now I think I've found my first PS4 RPG. Though honestly it's probably smarter to just buy it on PC.

Top Bottom