• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

Sylvatica

I know you guys can't say much but glad to hear the initial impressions are positive. Turns out this game came out earlier for us here in Hong Kong today, was having a hard time deciding whether to buy it or not because there's no review yet, but I really want something new to play on my day off tomorrow (Buddha's Birthday, fuck yeah). So I'll pick up a copy today if I can track it down, hopefully give you guys some early impression.

10177338_497161570406582_7590627237692606195_n.jpg

Hope you have a nice day off, eager to know what you think of the game!

Game leaked yesterday for PS360, so expect to see more streams popping up and to see impressions from people before the actual reviews come out.

Labadal

Just like Mars: War Logs, this is not a high budget game. The publisher has said that they would be doing these types of games. Will get at a $15 price point.

man, don't know if I should go with it, but I need something new for my PS4.

On the other Hand, don't want to spent 54€ for that Game.

Drewfonse

I know you guys can't say much but glad to hear the initial impressions are positive. Turns out this game came out earlier for us here in Hong Kong today, was having a hard time deciding whether to buy it or not because there's no review yet, but I really want something new to play on my day off tomorrow (Buddha's Birthday, fuck yeah). So I'll pick up a copy today if I can track it down, hopefully give you guys some early impression.

10177338_497161570406582_7590627237692606195_n.jpg

Impressions would be greatly appreciated.

DryvBy

When is that review embargo? I want to play this, it looks cheesy fun but with Wolfenstein coming out the week after and me having a back catalog of infinite possibilities, I'm nervous about buying yet another game that I won't play.

Drewfonse

When is that review embargo? I want to play this, it looks cheesy fun but with Wolfenstein coming out the week after and me having a back catalog of infinite possibilities, I'm nervous about buying yet another game that I won't play.

Friday. :(

DryvBy

That sucks. I wouldn't even mind a 7 for this game. I'd like a mid-tier type RPG (like the Gothic series). I have more fun with those sometimes.

Ricker

Just like Mars: War Logs, this is not a high budget game. The publisher has said that they would be doing these types of games. Will get at a $15 price point.

Yeah but Mars was like 20 bucks on Steam and the 360 and went down in price pretty fast on Steam...I enjoyed it though but I didn't realise this was made by the same people...going in with lower expectations now but it could still be good.

Yeah but Mars was like 20 bucks on Steam and the 360 and went down in price pretty fast on Steam...I enjoyed it though but I didn't realise this was made by the same people...going in with lower expectations now but it could still be good.

I won't say who, but someone I know that actually really, REALLY disliked Mars is having a pretty good time with Bound by Flames. Take that for what you will.

Dolor

Thanks for all the quasi-first impressions in this thread. Making me pretty enthusiastic about this game. I would love for another tier 1-2 fantasy RPG studio to exist with their own franchise.

Astrates

I've been watching a few Twitch feeds and talking to the people playing. All give a general impression that it's okay. Like a 7/10 that you play and enjoy but once you're done that's it. Once completed you'll probably sell it on etc.

Combat seems to be on the hard side with plenty struggling on Easy. Also everyone is favouring dual daggers as you can dodge and slow time with them.

Crafting is in-depth and on the fly so you can make traps easily for combat.

Kinda what I've been expecting but I'll at and trade in likely.

I know people have got through main story in like 9-10 hours with out doing any side quests.

Hope this helps.

I've been watching a few Twitch feeds and talking to the people playing. All give a general impression that it's okay. Like a 7/10 that you play and enjoy but once you're done that's it. Once completed you'll probably sell it on etc.

Combat seems to be on the hard side with plenty struggling on Easy. Also everyone is favouring dual daggers as you can dodge and slow time with them.

I know people have got through main story in like 9-10 hours with out doing any side quests.

Hope this helps.

I always find it interesting when people play this genre and skip side stuff. I always ask myself. Is there some rush to get through games as quick as possible?

I always find it interesting when people play this genre and skip side stuff. I always ask myself. Is there some rush to get through games as quick as possible?
I know what you mean but it could also be an indication of the quality of the side content. In some RPG's I feel compelled to do every little thing I possibly can, but in others the side stuff feels like a waste of time. Xenoblade is a good example of the latter, a phenomenal game with a lot of side content that felt kind of pointless.

Hopefully you're right and they are just trying to blaze through, though.

Tohsaka

Hope this helps.

I tend to only play 95% of the games I buy once anyway, regardless of how much I enjoyed them so it's not really a factor to me. As long as I feel the game was good and not a waste of $50 that'll be enough for me.

Astrates

I tend to only play 95% of the games I buy once anyway, regardless of how much I enjoyed them so it's not really a factor to me. As long as I feel the game was good and not a waste of $50 that'll be enough for me.

None of them regretted their purchase really. I mean no doubt they'd have paid less. Majoritively they paid around €60 so more than $50 really.

I know what you mean but it could also be an indication of the quality of the side content. In some RPG's I feel compelled to do every little thing I possibly can, but in others the side stuff feels like a waste of time. Xenoblade is a good example of the latter, a phenomenal game with a lot of side content that felt kind of pointless.

Hopefully you're right and they are just trying to blaze through, though.

Well let's just say, having not left the first hub area. I got 4 hours out of the game. Still really early on. So take that as you will.

ironcreed

Banned
I have watched a good bit of footage and am not sure I'll jump on this right away. While I typically have a soft spot for budgety role playing games, I am a bit turned off by how repetitive and bland some of it looks. It seems like something that I would enjoy more once it hits about $20.

TheMan

looks like a pretty standard action rpg but i've got high hopes. haven't turned on my ps4 in a while, would like a reason to do.

i'm thirsty.

Rootbeer

Banned
My dream is to play a Dragon's Dogma sequel on my PS4

While this doesn't look quite like what I'm seeking (combat is nowhere near as good), it's close enough to scratch the itch temporarily.

I am very tempted to buy this on the 9th... Because I have an entire week off so plenty of time to play it

Please be good... I need impressions!

Does anyone know a way to get the PS4 version for under $50? PC version is so much cheaper. Grr.

This OST is fricken' amazing. I hadn't even been considering this game until listening to it and now I think I've found my first PS4 RPG. Though honestly it's probably smarter to just buy it on PC.

If I buy it I'm getting the PS4 version so I can sell it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
While I buy many RPGs especially the European ones, this studio other game I've played (Of Orcs and Men) was just bad. so I'll wait for reviews/gaffer impressions for this one.

Drewfonse

So digital release is tomorrow with a retail release this friday eh?

Ahhhh. I didn't know this. I never go digital when disc based is an option, but I think that I'm going to take the plunge tomorrow, mainly because I have more time than usual to play games this week.

Plus, I just financed it by selling my Dark Souls strategy guide on Amazon for $65.

Now the waiting...

RedAssedApe

Banned

Depends on the quality of side quests. I usually don't like doing them unless there is some story/character development bits or world building involved. For example comparing FF6 side quests to the empty monster hunts in later titles. The latter feeling like a waste of time for me in terms of what I personally like in a RPG.

Tohsaka

Kinda lame that we have to wait three extra days for the retail version. It'll give me time to finish up Demon Gaze, I suppose.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
recommended system specs (not sure why only the minimum specs is in the ot)

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

OS: WINDOWS XP SP3/WINDOWS VISTA SP2/WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS 8
PROCESSOR: AMD/INTEL DUAL-CORE 3.2 GHZ
RAM MEMORY: 4096 MB
GRAPHICS CARD: 100% DIRECTX 9 AND SHADERS 4.0 COMPATIBLE
ATI RADEON HD 7870/NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 OR HIGHER
DVD-ROM: 2X DRIVE
HARD DISK SPACE: 6 GB
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE
INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED FOR THE GAME ACTIVATION

http://forum.boundbyflame.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=316

Corpekata

Banned
The Steam store page now says May 8th so I guess it's coming out a little earlier there as well. Wish it was the 6th too though. Least I'm fairly sure it was May 9th when I preordered.

Top Bottom