• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' passes 'Civil War' today, 'Iron Man 3' tomorrow

Wonder Woman earned another $445,000 (-9%) over the Fri-Sun weekend, putting its domestic total at $408.9 million. That pushes it past The Hunger Games and Captain America: Civil War, for 21st place in all-time (unadjusted) domestic box office history. And it’ll have around $409.5m by the end of the holiday, meaning it’ll pass Iron Man 3 ($409m) tomorrow to become the fifth-biggest superhero movie ever in North America (behind The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises) and the 20th-biggest domestic grosser of all time.

Link.

Turns out the only thing people like more is superhero groups and Batman.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I never would've imagined that Wonder Woman would pass Civil War. The train just keeps chugging along. Really shows that they found something that resonated with the audience

Busty

Banned
Seeing Wonder Woman brush past Iron Man 3 in North American box office is incredible.

Seeing it move past Civil War, which was an Avengers film for all intents and purposes (and included the debut of the new Spider-Man no less), at the North American box office is nothing short of absolutely astounding.

Certinty

Crazy. Even crazier considering Civil War is so much better.

Thankfully outside of the USA people had good taste.

Anung

Un Rama
Genuinely impressive stuff. Hopefully DC takes the right lessons from it even if all these weird flailing rumours suggest they aren't.

firelogic

Aren't movies usually gone way sooner? I'm thinking they just stick around for a month.

Depends on what else is coming out and taking away screens but 3+ months is pretty normal for big movies. It's just that once they fall out of the top 10 no one talks about them anymore. For example, Guardians 2 is at 122 days and counting.

Didn't they recently re-release it back in more theaters?

Not a re-release but a theatre expansion due to it being a holiday weekend coming up as well as no other big movies opening.

Joni

Imagine how great it could have done if a man had played the lead.
Marvel, pay attention, get Captain Marvel out there. Female superhero movies can work.

WaterAstro

Depends on what else is coming out and taking away screens but 3+ months is pretty normal for big movies. It's just that once they fall out of the top 10 no one talks about them anymore. For example, Guardians 2 is at 122 days and counting.

Oh yeah? I don't pay attention to how long they have been out, so I'm just surprised every time I see a WW thread.

kswiston

Superhero films were the only big winners in what is officially the lowest grossing summer in 11 years.

Dunkirk, Girls Trip, Annabelle 2, and Baby Driver had great runs on their smaller scales, but so many films tanked this summer. August was down 35% from last year.

Snaku

Banned
Crazy. Even crazier considering Civil War is so much better.

surejan.gif

Civil War and Iron Man 3 are boring movies that don't deserve to be on any lists.

I mean at least IM3 had a story to tell with serious character development. Civil War is everyone desperately trying to find a reason to fight at an airport, and then scrambling to wrap up the villain's plot as cheaply and quickly as possible.

HariKari

Great news.

Civil War and Iron Man 3 are boring movies that don't deserve to be on any lists.

image.php

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just watched some of the clips on youtube again. what a forgettable film. i guess thats what you need to resonate with your audience. Michael Bay knew this a decade ago.

i actually liked it when i first watched it but now, meh. i havent done a 180 on a film this fast since guardians.

And all it took was for DC to finally make a good movie and someone to cast a talented female as a lead in said good movie. It only took what, almost a decade since Iron Man 1?

The more interesting thing will be if they can pull it off again.

I think passing Iron Man 3 is notable with the trend of team up movies. Top three solo are Batman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Reckon that'll hold longer than top five superhero movies, as will origin movie.

Also in comparison to Civil War, to give an example of how insanely strong WW's legs have been, it opened at $179M and hit $400M after 20 weeks. Wonder Woman opened at $103M and passed it in 14 weeks.

Baby Driver 200M? That's awesome.

It's crazy how little money Winter Soldier made compared to the inferior Civil War and IM3.

I just saw it a few days ago and really liked it. It's a good blockbuster movie with 2 very likable leads, but I liked pretty much all the other superhero movies this year more. GOTG2 and Logan especially hit me hard emotionally. Especially Logan.

Then again, I don't think quality correlates with making a shit ton of money. I don't think either Avengers movies or TDKR deserve to be on there.
I don't think there's a reason for anyone to be salty over this.

Busty

Banned
And all it took was for DC to finally make a good movie and someone to cast a talented female as a lead in said good movie. It only took what, almost a decade since Iron Man 1?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, is this a criticism of WB or Hollywood in general?

Marvel haven't managed it all so if anyone is lagging behind it's them.

ZeoVGM

Banned

First, while it was only two months later, The Dark Knight was after Iron Man, making the backbone of your argument wrong. :p

Second, Marvel hasn't even put out a female-led movie yet.

So... what are you trying to get at?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Worldwide gross is the only thing preventing this from being a billion dollar franchise. I imagine on the back of this WB should be investing a lot to rectify this.

kswiston

I think passing Iron Man 3 is notable with the trend of team up movies. Top three solo are Batman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Reckon that'll hold longer than top five superhero movies, as will origin movie.

Also in comparison to Civil War, to give an example of how insanely strong WW's legs have been, it opened at $179M and hit $400M after 20 weeks. Wonder Woman opened at $103M and passed it in 14 weeks.

Wonder Woman's inclusion in the super hero top 5 will last 4-10 months depending on whether Justice League can top it before Infinity War launches.

It being in the top 3 solo films could last several years. Marvel is doing a bunch of new franchises (outside of Homecoming 2) through the rest of this decade. I don't see Aquaman topping $400M, and Flash might not count if it shapes up to be Justice League Light. What else is there? Deadpool 2 I guess. I expect that to drop from Deadpool 1.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, is this a criticism of WB or Hollywood in general?

Marvel haven't managed it all so if anyone is lagging behind it's them.

First, while it was only two months later, The Dark Knight was after Iron Man, making the backbone of your argument wrong. :p

Second, Marvel hasn't even put out a female-led movie yet.

So... what are you trying to get at?

It's supposed to be two seperate points: the first part about DC made a good movie again, finally, and for the first time since superhero movies really took off in the current form (around iron man 1, sorry xmen/spiderman fans, those films were different beasts), someone in the industry (not specifically DC) thought to cast a good female lead.

JayCB

It's much worse than either but i'm okay with the success just this once.

Pretty much where I sit with it honestly, it's not as good as either at all, but far more important, so hell yeah.

Congrats Wonder Woman!

Though it feels like it's been in the cinema for six months at this point.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's supposed to be two seperate points: the first part about DC made a good movie again, finally, and for the first time since superhero movies really took off in the current form (around iron man 1, sorry xmen/spiderman fans, those films were different beasts), someone in the industry (not specifically DC) thought to cast a good female lead.

I don't see Capitain marvel doing as well as this. She's not as well known a character, she doesn't stand out as much from other similar superhero and mainly she isn't the first to ride this zeitegist. It will do extremely well but I don't see it doing this well.

Top Bottom