• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' passes 'Civil War' today, 'Iron Man 3' tomorrow

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't see Capitain marvel doing as well as this. She's not as well known a character, she doesn't stand out as much from other similar superhero and mainly she isn't the first to ride this zeitegist. It will do extremely well but I don't see it doing this well.

My bet is that it doesn't do as well domestically but does better internationally because it's an MCU film.

Wonder Woman's inclusion in the super hero top 5 will last 4-10 months depending on whether Justice League can top it before Infinity War launches.

It being in the top 3 solo films could last several years. Marvel is doing a bunch of new franchises (outside of Homecoming 2) through the rest of this decade. I don't see Aquaman topping $400M, and Flash might not count if it shapes up to be Justice League Light. What else is there? Deadpool 2 I guess. I expect that to drop from Deadpool 1.

Realistically the next solo Batman. Black Panther is a possibility. Long shot but if it catches the underserved audience wave of Wonder Woman, you never know. Otherwise it's hard to say how long it'll be.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
terrific news, i have faith the industry will surge to replicate the success

bring on Captain Marvel & her Avengers

N7.Angel

The success of the movie in the US is fucking crazy, It's not a bad movie but it's not something incredible either, i'm curious to see how the sequel will perform.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
My bet is that it doesn't do as well domestically but does better internationally because it's an MCU film.

It'll likely do better internationally, but I'm not sure of all that much better to make up the domestic short fall but we shall see.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The success of the movie in the US is fucking crazy, It's not a bad movie but it's not something incredible either, i'm curious to see how the sequel will perform.

Wonder Woman has a fair amount of cultural cache. The movie never needed to be incredible, just solid with a good heart. Its success is not that crazy at all.

Haines

Banned
It's wierd. I never go see movies that have been in the theatre for a while. I like the full audience feel. Usually something newer out. Etc.

Been in the theatre for a couple weeks than at that point I'll j7st wait for home release. I must be wierd.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wonder Woman has a fair amount of cultural cache. The movie never needed to be incredible, just solid with a good heart. Its success is not that crazy at all.

She the biggest and most well known female superhero. From that alone, you can see the appeal.

Lothars

Great news.

Civil War and Iron Man 3 are boring movies that don't deserve to be on any lists.
Both are better than Wonder Woman and I really liked it to .

But she's irrelevant tho, and the DCEU is trash and all those things.
Wonder Woman was never irrelevant and it's by far the best DCEU movie. Justice league will suck but at least Wonder Woman was good.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
She the biggest and most well known female superhero. From that alone, you can see the appeal.

Of course. This was obvious to anyone. People love Wonder Woman. If the movie was terrible, this wouldn't have mattered, but it was good and captured that heroic feel in her. Cha-ching.

It's three things, really. First is rather obvious, that audiences do really like the movie and might think it Incredible. Opinions and all. Second is appealing to an underserved audience, which you tend to see on a smaller scale, as we're also seeing with Girls Trip and Hidden Figures. Third is it came out at the perfect time in the US for its themes and message to resonate with audiences.

I doubt the sequel can recapture all that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So this is only still in theaters just for this record? It's coming out on home video imminently, isn't it?

Already out on digital platforms. Physical release is on the 19th I wanna say. But yeah, they're pushing it for those headlines. And there really isn't anything else out, so they're taking advantage there too

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
It's three things, really. First is rather obvious, that audiences do really like the movie and might think it Incredible. Opinions and all. Second is appealing to an underserved audience, which you tend to see on a smaller scale, as we're also seeing with Girls Trip and Hidden Figures. Third is it came out at the perfect time in the US for its themes and message to resonate with audiences.

I doubt the sequel can recapture all that.

Fourth, it's Wonder friggin' Woman. She has shit tons of appeal and a generation of people that can still sing her TV theme song.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Can't see how anyone considers ironman 3 better. Both Crically audience ratings etc place WW as higher and iron man 3 was pretty flawed film. even as someone that enjoyed it with a last arc that jumped shark

Nah, I think it's better too. IM3 is one of the best MCU movies period.

That's not a slight on Wonder Woman though. It's great too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Fourth, it's Wonder friggin' Woman. She has shit tons of appeal and a generation of people that can still sing her TV theme song.

Hell I have never read the comic watched a cartoon of her or seen her tv show and I had a rough idea of her powerset and motif going into this and I was far from alone. The lasso of truth is well known in predominatly english speaking countries.

kitzkozan

Nah, I think it's better too. IM3 is one of the best MCU movies period.

That's not a slight on Wonder Woman though. It's great too.

According to you sure, but I'm not seeing it at all and I liked IM3. That's one movie which suffered from a backlash on GAF if I remember right.

So basically the most popular solo hero in America as of right now outside of Nolan Batman, which came out at a very different time for super heroes.

Phew, let's hope WB didn't fuck up Justice League and did Wonder Woman right, I'd be happy as fuck to see her become the Captain America of the DCEU with the popularity of Iron Man.

ZeoVGM

Banned
According to you sure, but I'm not seeing it at all and I liked IM3. That's one movie which suffered from a backlash on GAF if I remember right.

It didn't have a "backlash" really. It's always been one of the most divisive MCU movies (if not the most) since it released.

Farsi

I still can't believe there were actual arguments on here doubting the cultural significance of Wonder Woman and actually debating whether or not the movie would succeed.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yeah I don't think iron man 3 was all that popular rating rise by consensus. it put butts on seats I don't see the large majority raving for it like the more popular marvel movies.

Ahasverus

WW making money means that the DCEU is good now? Lol.
Suicide being bad doesn't make MoS and BvS UC being bad. The DCEU has been a really interesting, varied and surprising series.

What I'm getting to is that people swore the GA hated the DCEu so WW was going to bomb, coupled with her "cultural irrelevancy", it was the CBM that was supposed to bomb (check the threads!).

All of that was, of course, ridiculous.

kitzkozan

It didn't have a "backlash" really. It's always been one of the most divisive MCU movies (if not the most) since it released.

It's easy to see why because it's a flawed movie just like Wonder Woman (and just about every CBM). That's what amusing about people ranking CBM because they are all rather similar in terms of quality outside of a few exceptions imo.

It's crazy to me that $400+ million is barely enough to crack the top 20 all time. The Box office has exploded in the last 15 years.

Spinluck

Suicide being bad doesn't make MoS and BvS UC being bad. The DCEU has been a really interesting, varied and surprising series.

Suicide is garbage, BvS was shit, and MoS was a long bloated mess.

WW is the only film that they made that was worth a shit, and the feedback it's received shows that.

A variety of middling crap is still crap.

What I'm getting to is that people swore the GA hated the DCEu so WW was going to bomb, coupled with her "cultural irrelevancy", it was the CBM that was supposed to bomb (check the threads!).

All of that was, of course, ridiculous.

All those movies are shit though. You don't really get to say "I told you so" when it comes to WW. WW turned out really well despite the stink of the DCEU.

Ahasverus

Suicide is garbage, BvS was shit, and MoS was a long bloated mess.

WW is the only film that they made that was worth a shit, and the feedback it's received shows that.

A variety of middling crap is still crap.
For you tho. I'd rather have flawed but interesting than flawless but vanilla.

Now, Suicide Squad is certified trash.

I'm really impressed, people seem to love that movie. I though it was fun but flawed, but WW must have resonated with people I guess.

Sure hope we get more female lead superhero movies after this, they've been sorely missing.

The threas predictably went Marvel vs DC in a hurry.

I like both so I'm most interested in finally breaking the "female heroes don't sell" myth. BP is my next most anticipated movie for similar reasons.

ZeoVGM

Banned
For you tho.

For most people.

If you like BvS, that's fine. But coming into the thread just to make some snarky "BUT I THOUGHT DCEU WAS BAD" post just looks silly. The general opinion is that the DCEU has one good movie out of four.

So yes, it's bad.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The threas predictably went Marvel vs DC in a hurry.

I like both so I'm most interested in finally breaking the "female heroes don't sell" myth. BP is my next most anticipated movie for similar reasons.

I don't think black male leads have that same problem there's plenty holding thm back but there's decades worth of movies to point to, to prove this is incorrect. Black female leads however not so much.

Top Bottom