• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' passes 'Civil War' today, 'Iron Man 3' tomorrow

Nev

Banned
He cast Gadot and helped produce WW. For her lack of presence in BvS she was one of the more memorable aspects, aka one of the things he did positively.

Or are you just going to shit on him just because?

A) There are thousand of actresses out there who can play Wonder Woman. It's not like he scorched the earth looking for the one and only woman in earth able to play WW.

B) If he didn't help producing WW's movie someone else would. They were going to inevitably have WW anyways for Justice League.

C) Her lack of presence in BvS is on Snyder's part, if anything.

I'm not shitting on him, just pointing out how the people deserving of the praise are the director and the cast, not Snyder of all things.

I don't think black male leads have that same problem there's plenty holding thm back but there's decades worth of movies to point to, to prove this is incorrect. Black female leads however not so much.

True for movies in general, but black superheroes are very underrepresented.

number11

I'm still surprised by how much people love this movie. It's a great movie, but not that great to have legs like this. That final act especially weakens the entire movie for me.

Are people watching this multiple times.. or are people just late?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
True for movies in general, but black superheroes are very underrepresented.
I know that but that's largely mcu bull shit. DC has a problen of not having many popular black superheroes otherwise they probably would have given will Smith etc a solo film. He still hear lines SS.

I mean Blade helped kick off the comic book movie craze for marvel properties in the first place. I don't see why anyone would claim a black male led superhero films profitability is in question. Hancock still made money etc. They just not making them and after BP they'll likely continue whatever post ike trajectory they already had.

The problem in many cases is the lack of willingness rather than lack of profitable precedence.

Ross61

I'm still surprised by how much people love this movie. It's a great movie, but not that great to have legs like this. That final act especially weakens the entire movie for me.

Are people watching this multiple times.. or are people just late?
Why not?

Kaswa101

We're now thanking Snyder for "allowing" a Wonder Woman film to happen. A film about the third biggest hero in the DC universe and the biggest female superhero ever.

The lenghts some will go are embarrassing.

The irony is strong in this post.

Good for WW. :) Excellent film with a lot of heart, something that's sorely lacking in most CBM's these days.

kswiston

That was a lot of people's opinion on Civil War, which is why it made less money than Wonder Woman in a longer amount of time despite having a much stronger opening weekend.

If you go down that rabbit hole, you are going to have to justify some very strange box office results.

Shaanyboi

Banned
For you tho. I'd rather have flawed but interesting than flawless but vanilla.

Now, Suicide Squad is certified trash.
Yeah, Snyder sure did the world of cinema a favor by making two Superman movies that left everyone depressed, nauseated, or just angry. So much better than striving for "reasonably entertaining."

jdstorm

Banned
A) There are thousand of actresses out there who can play Wonder Woman. It's not like he scorched the earth looking for the one and only woman in earth able to play WW.

B) If he didn't help producing WW's movie someone else would. They were going to inevitably have WW anyways for Justice League.

I'm not shitting on him, just pointing out how the people deserving of the praise are the director and the cast, not Snyder of all things.

Name 5 with blockbuster/major TV experience who can both act and do the required stuntwork.

Congrats Wonder Woman film team!

Now I'm wondering if WW2 could beat it. I'm having some doubts, it will definitely have a bigger opening weekend tho. Hope it does, assuming it's a good film.

kswiston

It made that much money because there was literally nothing else to see in 2009. I can't think of any other blockbuster from that year or the first half of 2010.

Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Iron Man 2, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Up, Twilight New Moon.

All of those made very close to or over $300M domestic with releases in 2009 and the first half of 2010. Transformers and Toy Story 3 were in the same domestic range as Wonder Woman.

99Luffy

Banned
This movie was so corny. In a way all super hero movies are corny but this was like if CW got a huge budget to make a movie.

Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Iron Man 2, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Up, Twilight New Moon.

All of those made very close to or over $300M domestic with releases in 2009 and the first half of 2010. Transformers and Toy Story 3 were in the same domestic range as Wonder Woman.

It's shocking how much Transformers domestic earnings shrunk since then. To think some claimed Transformers and PotC would bury Wonder Woman, too. I don't know how many expected it to do better than both combined +$100M.

I'm glad that a movie with a female lead has done so well financially, especially where the main demographic tends to be young men. Bodes well for the future.

That said, the movie was relatively terrible as far as I'm concerned.

This topic was unnecessary because it's just going to turn into a pissing match between Marvel and DC.

That's the whole point of making these threads.
If we eliminate every "genre" besides superhero(I don't think superhero is a genre but whatever)and we only count domestic, and its not even number one. You have to narrow this shit down for it to stick out.
There's so many ifs and buts.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
It's better than the first Cap movie at least. I love how it actually shows a super-hero fighting in a World War, unlike First Avenger where Cap only fought HYDRA.

What if I told you it's possible to recognize both these films success without asserting your opinion of them as the correct one

Gratz to WW and Patty. What a huge hit
What if i told you thats irrelevant and im as free to express my opinion on either film just as much as anyone else?

Name 5 with blockbuster/major TV experience who can both act and do the required stuntwork.

LOL, you're acting like Gadot's role as Gisele in 2 F&F movies made her uniquely qualified. It wasn't a lleading role (although with F&F, it becomes muddy as the main crew are all "leads" somewhat) and I don't recall her character having many stunts

Congrats Wonder Woman film team!

Now I'm wondering if WW2 could beat it. I'm having some doubts, it will definitely have a bigger opening weekend tho. Hope it does, assuming it's a good film.

I hope and believe so. All they need is an awesome trailer (and DC/WB never fail there) and it not being a complete zero with the critics and it will do amazing

Penguin

This topic was unnecessary because it's just going to turn into a pissing match between Marvel and DC.
All comic threads will

I do think a noteworthy thread for cracking the top 5 of all time

Perhaps didn't need to acknowledge what movies it surpassed to get there

But still big milestone especially for a female led film

kswiston

It's shocking how much Transformers domestic earnings shrunk since then. To think some claimed Transformers and PotC would bury Wonder Woman, too. I don't know how many expected it to do better than both combined +$100M.

I expected to Transformers 5 + Pirates 5 to do about what they did domestically (Transformers a bit higher and Pirates a bit lower). I also expected Wonder Woman to easily beat both domestically. But "easily" in that case was $250M+ domestic vs $150-160M for the other two. Not $410M+

Busty

Banned

This might be one of the most ludicrous things I've read in box office GAF in a while. It's so woefully misinformed I'm assuming it's parody.

It is, isn't it?

jdstorm

Banned
LOL, you're acting like Gadot's role as Gisele in 2 F&F movies made her uniquely qualified. It wasn't a leading role (although with F&F, it becomes muddy as the main crew are all "leads" somewhat) and I don't recall her character having many stunts

It was 3 F&F films. As for the "Stunts" part there wasn't a lot (i also can't remember a specific stunt) but she clearly had a background as an athlete which is arguably better then doing some stunts in an action film.

Off the top of my head, the shortlist (which is by no means definitive) for alternative candidates would be something like Daniela Ruah (NCIS LA) Odette Annabelle (You Again) Jamie Alexander (Thor 2:The Dark World) and Gina Carrano (Haywire) maybe Mandy Moore (Tangled) if you wanted a more "All American" version.

Thats basically the list. Beyond that you are in the Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights) Crystal Reed (Teen Wolf) and Taylor Cole (various TV movies) tier.

Beyond that you are looking at a complete unknown to US audiences who may or may not have acting experience overseas. So essentially being in 3 F&F movies did make Gal Gadot pretty close to uniquely qualified for the role.

Edit: Alexandra Daddario (Percy Jackson, True Detective) and Annet Mahendru (The Americans) could be added to the top list. Still thats only 10 names, not 1000s

woolley

I didn't think the movie would have the legs that it does. It was an ok movie but nothing too special. But hopefully with this and hopefully Black Panther does well allowing for a more diverse cast in these movies going forward.

firelogic

You mean Patty Jenkins. Fuck off with that Snyder masturbation. If it weren't for Jenkins, the iconic no man land scene wouldn't even be in the film. Jenkins was solely responsible for how WW turned out and I'm happy we got a great DC film. It's a good film and it's been rewarded as such.

If it wasn't for Zack Snyder, Patty Jenkins wouldn't have had a Wonder Woman movie to make.

Blader

This is such a disingenuous argument. No role can only be exclusively done by one actor. Just because there are other actresses who could play Wonder Woman doesn't take anything away from Gal's performance.

BBboy20

If Black Panther is even half decent that movie is gonna make so much money.
wonderpanthermujto.png

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jesus Christ, this thread.

Wonder Woman and Civil War are two of the best in the genre. Yes, you might prefer one. But both were enjoyed by both fans and critics to a high degree.

To come in acting aggressive towards one or the other because you personally liked one more is so incredibly childish, fanboyish and the epitome of nerd anger.

This movie was so corny. In a way all super hero movies are corny but this was like if CW got a huge budget to make a movie.
That's what I actually liked a lot about it. A movie about a superhero who just wants to do good. Actually a bit refreshing after all the fighting and drama between super heroes in the other DC and Marvel movies recently.

Top Bottom