• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' passes 'Civil War' today, 'Iron Man 3' tomorrow

Glass Rebel

Jesus Christ, this thread.

Wonder Woman and Civil War are two of the best in the genre. Yes, you might prefer one. But both were enjoyed by both fans and critics to a high degree.

To come in acting aggressive towards one or the other because you personally liked one more is so incredibly childish, fanboyish and the epitome of nerd anger.

This is the monster we created in the BvS review thread.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wonder Woman and Civil War are both great.

I vastly prefer Marvel's overall output to DC's, but I'm ecstatic that Wonder Woman is doing so well.

You know the Fast and Furious team are weighing the options, and the amount of money they can make, by bringing Gadot's character back for the next film.

It would be absolutely crazy the money they could make.

Jumeira

Banned
I just watched it for the first time today. What really stood out, and it's something the Marvel films have always lacked, is a spectacular soundtrack that is memorable and emotional. I put this close to Nolans Batman score, its perfect and can move you from compassion to out-right war, those drum beats as the guitar rifts hits are so damn satisfying. WB DC movies really know how to make soundtracks that fit thier characters (Batman/WW), WW is burned into my memory simply due to the stellar work by Rupert Gregson Williams. Amazing stuff.

Oh and the film was brilliant, better then any Marvel movie I've seen to date. Great success story, hope we see more of Diana working with ordinary hero's, other remarkable humans that displayed great courage.

Nice results from this one for DC and Warner.

For reference, Civil War had a gross of $408,084,349 after 20 weeks in the box office. Wonder Woman just hit $408,939,021 after 14 weeks. But to be clear, this is only including the domestic numbers. Civil War has a much higher worldwide gross and isn't likely to be passed by WW.

Finally watched WW the other day, it was good, not great, but enjoyable enough.

Biggest con was the CGI didn't look great to me, compared to Marvel/Star Wars kind of things. Some was fine, but others brought me out of the suspension of disbelief.

Biggest pro was it actually made me want to see more of the DCEU. I haven't seen BvS yet, so I might check that out next.

kswiston

Nice results from this one for DC and Warner.

For reference, Civil War had a gross of $408,084,349 after 20 weeks in the box office. Wonder Woman just hit $408,939,021 after 14 weeks. But to be clear, this is only including the domestic numbers. Civil War has a much higher worldwide gross and isn't likely to be passed by WW.

The number of weeks for Wonder Woman to hit $408M vs Civil War is a pointless comparison because Civil War was basically done by this point in its run.

Wonder Woman only passed Civil War launch aligned this week. Civil War was still higher after 13 weekends. However, Wonder Woman made $1.6M in its 13th weekend, while Civil War made $75k. Expansion into dollar cinemas added a bit over $1M more to Civil War's total over the following two months, but its last million dollar weekend was weekend #8. It had made 99% of its domestic total by then.

trembli0s

Superhero films were the only big winners in what is officially the lowest grossing summer in 11 years.

Dunkirk, Girls Trip, Annabelle 2, and Baby Driver had great runs on their smaller scales, but so many films tanked this summer. August was down 35% from last year.

Definitely feels like the web and Netflix have crippled the subpar movies Hollywood likes to put out.

There's a near endless catalogue of schlocky, entertaining shows/movies which allows you to avoid spending $14 on crap at a theater.

This movie was so corny. In a way all super hero movies are corny but this was like if CW got a huge budget to make a movie.

What you call corny, many others call true heartfelt emotion, a relatable hero with true and good intentions, and a film not afraid to stand it's own ground based on these values.

What you call corny is a primary factor in it's finding it's audience and success.

WillyFive

I just watched it for the first time today. What really stood out, and it's something the Marvel films have always lacked, is a spectacular soundtrack that is memorable and emotional. I put this close to Nolans Batman score, its perfect and can move you from compassion to out-right war, those drum beats as the guitar rifts hits are so damn satisfying. WB DC movies really know how to make soundtracks that fit thier characters (Batman/WW), WW is burned into my memory simply due to the stellar work by Rupert Gregson Williams. Amazing stuff.

Interesting, since the score (and low budget effects) are the parts of the movie that I would place as its weakest points. We finally had a DC hero as well realized since Christopher Reeve's Superman, and she did not have a musical score that could match her.

Kallor

Wonder Woman and Civil War are two of the best in the genre. Yes, you might prefer one. But both were enjoyed by both fans and critics to a high degree.

To come in acting aggressive towards one or the other because you personally liked one more is so incredibly childish, fanboyish and the epitome of nerd anger.

With fanboys everything is either a 1/10 or a 10/10. And comic fanboys are some of the very worst.

Congrats to DC and the WW crew. I hope JL is half as good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
With fanboys everything is either a 1/10 or a 10/10. And comic fanboys are some of the very worst.

Congrats to DC and the WW crew. I hope JL is half as good.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm a "comic fanboy." I like comics. I like nerdy shit. I have no problem admitting I think Marvel is better than DC overall because I like their characters more. But I want both to do well.

Wonder Woman was great and the first truly good DC movie since TDK (which likely still sits in my top 5 comic movies). Both companies putting out good movies is a good thing for a) fans of comics and b) competition. It pushes them to continue getting better.

WatTsu

As far as I'm concerned, I'm a "comic fanboy." I like comics. I like nerdy shit. I have no problem admitting I think Marvel is better than DC overall because I like their characters more. But I want both to do well.

Wonder Woman was great and the first truly good DC movie since TDK (which likely still sits in my top 5 comic movies). Both companies putting out good movies is a good thing for a) fans of comics and b) competition. It pushes them to continue getting better.

This is the correct and proper perspective.

jtb

Banned
wait, people like Civil War? That film was a fucking mess, such a disappointment after Winter Soldier

ZeoVGM

Banned
wait, people like Civil War? That film was a fucking mess, such a disappointment after Winter Soldier

Joke post?

Because you either live under a literal rock or are pretending that you didn't know people like it because you personally didn't.

It's 90% on RottenTomatoes and was a massive hit at the box office.

Excellent news.

A couple points:

- Hey Hollywood, don't assume the audience isn't there because it doesn't fit into the normal demographic you aim for. Countless movies have shown this and Wonder Woman is another in the pile.

- Hey WB, see? If you make a great film, your characters have the ability to soar high. I love these characters. Stop making bad films. Thanks.

- Hey Marvel. Best get to Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

Good for it.

I don't see a lot of worldwide talk about the movie though. Is it not doing as well overseas?

It's about 50/50 domestic/international. It's about $17 million below Suicide Squad overseas, and way below BvS. It's not bad, just stronger on the domestic side in comparison to other DCEU films.

Syriel

ITT I learned that Iron Man 3 did better than Civil War.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Agreed.

I enjoyed both quite a bit.

The toxicity in threads like this reminds me of GCN/XBOX/PS2 era GameFAQs type shit. Relax, neckbeards.

jtb

Banned
Yep. There's no space for nuance here. Civil War was either the GOAT or complete and utter garbage. Pick a side, peeps!

Joke post?

Because you either live under a literal rock or are pretending that you didn't know people like it because you personally didn't.

It's 90% on RottenTomatoes and was a massive hit at the box office.

"Best in the genre" is what I was referring to. Thought it was pretty mid-tier MCU and, as I literally just posted, a big disappointment after Winter Soldier

JayCB

Not everyone who shits on the DC movies does so because they are blinded by Marvel fanboyism. Plenty do so because they feel that the films butchered characters that they've grown up reading and they want them better represented. Screaming fanboy at everyone is just as bad as actually being said fanboy, honestly...people can just not like stuff sometimes.

mreddie

Wonder Woman deserves it because it was good
Civil War getting knocked down is still a win because it was 2nd best on top

IM3 I'm still confused but that was post Avengers 1 so I guess it that was good.

All 3 are winners because honestly 10 years ago, we were recovering from Spidey 3 and X-Men 3, a year away from 2 great cape films and 20 years ago, all he had was Batman and Robin and fucking Steel, Blade was a year later and X-Men was barely getting set up.

Basically, be blessed we got good Cape films. Please stop with the Fanboy Shit.

No hope for Justice League though,

ZeoVGM

Banned
"Best in the genre" is what I was referring to. Thought it was pretty mid-tier MCU and, as I literally just posted, a big disappointment after Winter Soldier

I liked Winter Solider a little more, personally. It just felt so fresh and different. But I don't think that tone fully fit Civil War, with all of its characters.

Civil War is still considered one of the best int he genre though, absolutely.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Watched it for the first time today.

Loved
+Soundtrack
+Pacing
+Stranger in A Strange Land Trope (Soft Spot for this)
+Gal Gadot
+Action

Not a Fan Of
-Ares, great actor, but he didn't really seem to add anything to the story other than someone to beat up at the end.
-Rag-Tag crew, they weren't particularly interesting or useful, more story fat to trim like Ares
-Story Framing with Batman gift, no need to remind me of the rest of the DC universe
-post production scene lighting, not a fan of the look or pallete Zach Snyder / WB uniformly applied across the DCEU

Overall, pretty fantastic, hope the rest of the DCEU can get things cleaned up to this level.

Watched it for the first time today.

Loved
+Soundtrack
+Pacing
+Stranger in A Strange Land Trope (Soft Spot for this)
+Gal Gadot
+Action

Not a Fan Of
-Ares, great actor, but he didn't really seem to add anything to the story other than someone to beat up at the end.
-Rag-Tag crew, they weren't particularly interesting or useful, more story fat to trim like Ares
-Story Framing with Batman gift, no need to remind me of the rest of the DC universe
-post production scene lighting, not a fan of the look or pallete Zach Snyder / WB uniformly applied across the DCEU

Overall, pretty fantastic, hope the rest of the DCEU can get things cleaned up to this level.

Great that you liked it!

Probably the thing that gets the most criticism is the villain/ending, where many see it as a pointless slugfest. There is an awful lot more going on there. :)

You might feel a bit differently on a second viewing, or maybe not. Surprised you didn't like the 'crew' - I rather liked them all.

I'm honestly glad to see WW being successful at all.

And I'm really not surprised about the Marvel and DC rivalry again, but come on it's a long time rivalry that's been going on for decades.

I personally hold both WW and CW in high regards, and all of the cast and crew worked so hard on both (even the Snyders, just their directing has been mostly awful). I wouldn't say both a perfect and I don't ignore their flaws, but I personally enjoyed them.

As long as the money the films make is enough for both WB and Marvel Studios to warrant them as successes, I could care less about which film makes which and just give the cast and crew an imaginary pat on the back. I would probably want to give them a hug if I happened to stumble onto them in real life.

Regardless, WB still needs more than one legitimately good film to have me convinced that they know what they are doing with the DCEU. And this is as a person who wants to see the DCEU and MCU co-exist well.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Great that you liked it!

Probably the thing that gets the most criticism is the villain/ending, where many see it as a pointless slugfest. There is an awful lot more going on there. :)

You might feel a bit differently on a second viewing, or maybe not. Surprised you didn't like the 'crew' - I rather liked them all.

I guess I'll stew on it a bit more, certainly will pick up the blueray...

99Luffy

Banned
What you call corny, many others call true heartfelt emotion, a relatable hero with true and good intentions, and a film not afraid to stand it's own ground based on these values.

What you call corny is a primary factor in it's finding it's audience and success.
Maybe it was unavoidable, but Im tired of the whole 'You dont owe mankind anything / But theyre so much more' storyline. DC even already did it with superman.
And the born sexy yesterday trope was also tiring. But I imagine alot of theatre goers were laughing their asses off at diana getting giddy over babies and icecream(omg just like real women:D). And she read all 12 volumes about human pleasure or something, so adorable.
The action scenes against soldiers were great, but the ones against the main villains omg. We get constant threads about how unmemorable marvel villains are but WW easily has the worst. The palpatine style 'let your hate flow' scene with Mr. Mustache, so bad.

That said I didnt hate the movie, Id say it was as good as Captain America: TFA. I give it a solid 6.5/10

The number of weeks for Wonder Woman to hit $408M vs Civil War is a pointless comparison because Civil War was basically done by this point in its run.

Wonder Woman only passed Civil War launch aligned this week. Civil War was still higher after 13 weekends. However, Wonder Woman made $1.6M in its 13th weekend, while Civil War made $75k. Expansion into dollar cinemas added a bit over $1M more to Civil War's total over the following two months, but its last million dollar weekend was weekend #8. It had made 99% of its domestic total by then.

One point of comparison isn't any more valid than the other, it's all about how you look at it.

Shame most folks can't understand what Ares represents and how he's just an outdated way of thinking. Like, he's a wink wink nudge nudge at the genre as a whole to show you that your adventures need to be more than black and white.

Shauni

Maybe it was unavoidable, but Im tired of the whole 'You dont owe mankind anything / But theyre so much more' storyline. DC even already did it with superman.
And the born sexy yesterday trope was also tiring. But I imagine alot of theatre goers were laughing their asses off at diana getting giddy over babies and icecream(omg just like real women:D). And she read all 12 volumes about human pleasure or something, so adorable.
The action scenes against soldiers were great, but the ones against the main villains omg. We get constant threads about how unmemorable marvel villains are but WW easily has the worst. The palpatine style 'let your hate flow' scene with Mr. Mustache, so bad.

That said I didnt hate the movie, Id say it was as good as Captain America: TFA. I give it a solid 6.5/10

Her liking ice cream had nothing to do with her gender. Men can like ice cream, it's a popular treat that she was exposed to for the first. And reading 12 volumes of an early examination of human sexuality is adorable? Well okay, I guess

Bleepey

Interesting, since the score (and low budget effects) are the parts of the movie that I would place as its weakest points. We finally had a DC hero as well realized since Christopher Reeve's Superman, and she did not have a musical score that could match her.
Wait. what? People have been treating her electric cello with the same enthusiasm as the John William's Superman theme ( I think Zimmer's theme is better but that's another topic). I mean google "Wonder Woman theme" and click first link

kswiston

One point of comparison isn't any more valid than the other, it's all about how you look at it.

What does the 20 week total for Civil War matter though when the film was basically done making money after 7 or 8? It's not like Wonder Woman is setting speed records for any of these grosses. The last two months have been Wonder Woman tortoising its way past bigger openers on the All Time domestic list (most of which ran out of steam in a month or two), thanks to great legs.

"Made in 14 weeks what Civil War made in 20!" sounds impressive, but it doesn't really mean anything when those last 7 weeks for Civil War added about $900k (0.22%) to its total. Marvel could have pulled the film 7 weeks earlier (after weekend #14), and we'd be having this thread on Saturday (after Wonder Woman's Friday gross) instead of Sunday.

Her theme song is fucking sweet.

Spinluck

It's crap but it's shiny crap, with flashes of brilliance. There are ideas and scenes in BvS that are just fucking awesome.

I can't think of any particular ideas in BvS that I liked, and I think it was quite a step back from MoS. I really did try to like it though. Some of the themes were interesting, but they are never really explored. Such a shame. Batman looking over his emails to discover JL members is like the laziest shit ever.

What does the 20 week total for Civil War matter though when the film was basically done making money after 7 or 8? It's not like Wonder Woman is setting speed records for any of these grosses. The last two months have been Wonder Woman tortoising its way past bigger openers on the All Time domestic list (most of which ran out of steam in a month or two), thanks to great legs.

"Made in 14 weeks what Civil War made in 20!" sounds impressive, but it doesn't really mean anything when those last 7 weeks for Civil War added about $900k (0.22%) to its total. Marvel could have pulled the film 7 weeks earlier (after weekend #14), and we'd be having this thread on Saturday (after Wonder Woman's Friday gross) instead of Sunday.

What matters is the total, not the individual weeks. But if you need to put a spin on it to make Civil War look better in this scenario then be my guest.

GhaleonEB

What matters is the total, not the individual weeks. But if you need to put a spin on it to make Civil War look better in this scenario then be my guest.

I'm not sure where you are going with this line of thinking but the fact that you accused kswiss of all people of spin means you are way off the mark with this one.

I'm not sure where you are going with this line of thinking but the fact that you accused kswiss of all people of spin means you are way off the mark with this one.

"Civil War had a gross of $408,084,349 after 20 weeks in the box office. Wonder Woman just hit $408,939,021 after 14 weeks."

The 'spin' is that this is apparently a 'pointless comparison' because of which weeks in which Civil War made it's highest percentage of overall gross.

"Wonder Woman exceeded in 14 weeks what Civil War made in 14 weeks."
"Wonder Woman exceeded in 14 weeks what Civil War made in 20 weeks,"

It's the same damn thing.

Great results, really show that people will come when you make a good movie. Let's hope WB never make any thing like BVS and SS again.

Top Bottom