• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman set to pass $400M domestic today, after 68 days in release

yas queen slay
DAKYvOTVYAAIK4B.jpg

comparing to previous films make no sense unless you take into account inflation

they made ET for 10 millions dollars

Adjusting for inflation doesn't help create an apples to apples comparison. Movies aren't in theaters for nearly as long now as they were in the early 1980's, for example.

Who would have thought the first major female superhero movie would do well? Should have been done so much sooner.

Was worried this would 'fail' because I can't help but feel execs would go 'welp, no more women.'
You mean the first good one. We've had female superhero flicks before but they were all utter trash.

kswiston

Adjusting for inflation doesn't help create an apples to apples comparison. Movies aren't in theaters for nearly as long now as they were in the early 1980's, for example.

Also, all I did was list facts. People can make their own comparisons.

E.T. was obviously a bigger cultural phenomenon than Wonder Woman, but E.T. also wouldn't have scored 16 weekends at #1 in 2017.

Avatar is the only film since 2000 to get more than 4 weekends at #1. It held that for 7 weekends. Even that is next to impossible now that studios are pushing bigger January releases.

Aaron

Finally saw WW. Other than the final act running too long, it was damned good. Best DC movie in like... ever. I like Dark Knight, but Batman kind of sucks in that movie.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just goes to show that the audience and critics will respond to a safe formulaic origin story.

Have fun trying to convince WB that they need to invest in more edgy takes on comic books. Expect a lot more of these well crafted but ultimately predictable stories from these guys.

What is wrong with you people

Counting notes at the symphony

It's absurd. Shit like that and the JJ lens flare stuff are things people like to regurgitate so as to sound smart, when in actuality it betrays the fact that they know jackshit about engaging with and criticizing a piece of story-telling and narrative and simply reach for the surface-level low-hanging fruit.

GhaleonEB

And I think "too much slo-mo" is an undeserved critique, especially for that movie.

It's often just pedantic nitpicking with not much basis behind it, so far as I've seen when people attempt to explain why they thought it was "too much."

You get a couple buzzwords and bad conventional wisdom but nothing that really suggests that it's bad beyond "I've been told this is bad"

I thought the slo-mo was overdone, robbing a lot of the action of its impact. Slo-mo is great for highlighting moments and communicating how Diana perceives things and can react so quickly, but used too much it gets tedious.

The only sustained action scene in the film to not use it is the initial assault on the town, right after the NML scene. (Slow-mo was just fine and made sense there.) Plowing through guards, down the alley, up onto the roof, great shit. Then she busts into the building and we get tons of slow-mo fighting with that awful BvS buttrock theme. Keeping it real time as she plowed through soldiers, and then end it with the epic slow-mo knee shot going out the window would have worked so much better, IMO.

No one told me that was bad, I just didn't like those scenes nearly as much as I wanted to, and the use of slo-mo (and that soundtrack) is why.

Just goes to show that the audience and critics will respond to a safe formulaic origin story.

Have fun trying to convince WB that they need to invest in more edgy takes on comic books. Expect a lot more of these well crafted but ultimately predictable stories from these guys.
Well, what they were doing wasn't working for them, and Wonder Woman did work. I'd rather more Wonder Woman's than Suicide Squads, tbh.

I thought the slo-mo was overdone, robbing a lot of the action of its impact. Slo-mo is great for highlighting moments and communicating how Diana perceives things and can react so quickly, but used too much it gets tedious.

The only sustained action scene in the film to not use it is the initial assault on the town, right after the NML scene. (Slow-mo was just fine and made sense there.) Plowing through guards, down the alley, up onto the roof, great shit. Then she busts into the building and we get tons of slow-mo fighting with that awful BvS buttrock theme. Keeping it real time as she plowed through soldiers, and then end it with the epic slow-mo knee shot going out the window would have worked so much better, IMO.

No one told me that was bad, I just didn't like those scenes nearly as much as I wanted to, and the use of slo-mo (and that soundtrack) is why.

That's a decent explanation that I don't normally see in response to "too much slo-mo" getting burped up as a go-to nitpick.

I still disagree that it was used too much, but I know I haven't seen it as often as you have, so your criticism is definitely going to be built on more experience with the movie than I've got.

I wonder how all the Snyder-loving edgelords feel about this. It seems like the success of WW will change the course of the DCEU from now on towards something a lot less edgy and convoluted and more into something a normal human being can appreciate.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
And I think "too much slo-mo" is an undeserved critique, especially for that movie.

It's often just pedantic nitpicking with not much basis behind it, so far as I've seen when people attempt to explain why they thought it was "too much."

You get a couple buzzwords and bad conventional wisdom but nothing that really suggests that it's bad beyond "I've been told this is bad"

The slo-mo was used properly in this movie, IMO, unlike Snyder who just uses it constantly with no reason. Slo-mo should be used to punctuate and illustrate, and I don't recall an instance of WW using it to not do one or those things.

The real criticism of WW is its weak and obviously reshot-to-hell third act, but if we're going to roast every superhero movie that fumbles the third act we'll be here all damn day. WB is being rewarded for making a superhero movie that didn't suck for the first time since The Dark Knight and that's great to see. The audience doesn't always do the right thing, but I think they have in this case.

GhaleonEB

That's a decent explanation that I don't normally see in response to "too much slo-mo" getting burped up as a go-to nitpick.

I still disagree that it was used too much, but I know I haven't seen it as often as you have, so your criticism is definitely going to be built on more experience with the movie than I've got.

FWIW, I only saw it twice. I planned to go a third time but those plans never came together (went to other movies, then my theater dropped it the day before I could go when I actually wanted to.)

I'd still put the action in WW above most super hero films, and I think it used slo-mo better than any others I've seen. I just wished they'd dialed it down in the early action scenes. I love that scene with her plowing through the town and wish they'd run with that a bit longer.

VSN3hvp.gif

This was one of the few moments in the entire indoor sequence that plays out without slo-mo. I just wanted more of it because I love the hell out of it. Do that shit for a minute or two and then end with the knee out the window. (best .gif I could find of it)

Okay, end of my derail.

FWIW, I only saw it twice. I planned to go a third time but those plans never came together (went to other movies, then my theater dropped it the day before I could go when I actually wanted to.)

I hate when that happens.

You guys don't have a beer theater out that way yet, do you? Gotta imagine that'll be comin, your area is growing.

GhaleonEB

I hate when that happens.

You guys don't have a beer theater out that way yet, do you? Gotta imagine that'll be comin, your area is growing.

I live in Saint Helens, which has a theater with one screen. The next town over (15 minute drive) has a 7-screen which is where I see most movies. WW got dropped when it landed in the bottom of the top 10 box office. On the upside, that theater still uses real butter on the popcorn. Which is alright by me.

There's a ton of multiplexes about 45 minutes away in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area but that replicates my commute to work so I save it for more desperate times (it's how I had to see Get Out). Things are growing out here but probably not enough to get more screens.

I dunno. McMenamins loves to buy up property and throw a brewery & a theater screen (or two) in it. I could see 'em doing something like that in St. Helens, definitely.

Penguin

5 times?! That just seems crazy to me, you enjoyed it that much?

Eh it ties up with the Dark Knight (original run, think saw twice more in theaters after)

And I mean it depends

Saw it at a fan-screening for free, had opening day tickets
Friends wanted to see (and paid for it over the weekend)

And then the other 2 was because was going to the theater and really nothing else interested me (during The Mummy/Transformers/Cars) days of summer.

It's a great movie and Gal Gadot and Chris Pine are amazing in it. Saw it 5 times and pre-ordering and Blu ray.

I wonder how all the Snyder-loving edgelords feel about this. It seems like the success of WW will change the course of the DCEU from now on towards something a lot less edgy and convoluted and more into something a normal human being can appreciate.

Snyder edgleord here and I feel fine. Get a grip dude.

I definitely have seen some DC/Snyder fans act like Wonder Woman is actually overrated, and that it's reception is going to ruin the DCEU. Lmao.

How anyone can think Wonder Woman is anything less than far-and-away the best thing in the DCEU is beyond me.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Except they're both completely right.

The third act was a cgi crapfest and while they had some really good slowmo scenes early on it got ridiculous and started losing all impact with them doing it every few minutes.

You can still enjoy a movie and critique it where deserved.

I'll take a "CGI crapfest" any day if we get something as good as Pine's last scene. That is top tier superhero film scene worthy.

Quixzlizx

It's not like Snyder had zero influence on the movie. I immediately thought 300 at some of the fighting choreography.

Although I think it makes more sense to hope for good movies regardless than to be director fanboys.

Hari Seldon

I thought the movie was OK. The story was tight and good (especially compared to the incomprehensible avengers garbage), but it was a CGI shitfest. I was ready to love the movie after the first half but by the end I was pretty meh on the entire thing.

Ross61

I haven't seen any Snyder fans dislike the movie, so there's that.

Penguin

It's not like Snyder had zero influence on the movie. I immediately thought 300 at some of the fighting choreography.

Although I think it makes more sense to hope for good movies regardless than to be director fanboys.

Ha I look at Wonder Woman of the actual realization of a Snyder superhero movie. It has all of his trappings with few of his flaws

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Wow, that's fucking awesome. I loved the movie, and it will be the first DCEU movie I purchase. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

I am happy about DC's success ^^

I really hope that the tone of future films are more in line with BvS and Suicide Squad over Wonder Woman, but to me the continued success of the DCEU is very important to me! The loss of edginess is very saddening, though

Bleepey

Play it safe, oh well. I do wonder how the edgy Suicide Squad would have been received but people said BVS was too dark. I would have loved to see the version that was supposed to share a similar tone to se7en that had the Joker smacking Harley and showed how fucked up the relationship truly was. That said I didn't hate Suicide Squad. And MOS was just too realistic, only 74 or so people dying in Avengers don't make me laugh

Top Bottom