• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' passes 'Civil War' today, 'Iron Man 3' tomorrow

Fourth, it's Wonder friggin' Woman. She has shit tons of appeal and a generation of people that can still sing her TV theme song.
In America, yes. Rest of the world? Nah, not really.

She's a recognisable name but nowhere near the fame she has in the US, all international sales were off the strength of this movie itself.

wazoo

Joke post?

Because you either live under a literal rock or are pretending that you didn't know people like it because you personally didn't.

It's 90% on RottenTomatoes and was a massive hit at the box office.

It was also one of the only - to my knowledge - movie questioning the action of super heroes, the "I do justice because I can", which is IMO always embarassing in the super hero universe.

In America, yes. Rest of the world? Nah, not really.

She's a recognisable name but nowhere near the fame she has in the US, all international sales were off the strength of this movie itself.

In the rest of the World, yes really. Generations of people know her because of her TV show, the animated DC shows, the decades of comics etc.

I thought the DCEU was dead after squad and this movie was suppose to crash and burn
������������

Shame it didn't reflect the same records WW but damn that's impressive. Patty Jenkin's future is looking bright.

Looking forward to picking this up on 4k.

In the rest of the World, yes really. Generations of people know her because of her TV show, the animated DC shows, the decades of comics etc.

That's way too broad of a statement to make, it widely varies depending on the country. Just look at the european numbers for WW, first in the UK and then in continental Europe. There are plenty of countries where the comics were never translated, the DC shows outside of Batman were not successful and the 70s show never aired past its original run and is therefore completely forgotten. The comic-book market is gigantic where I live (much bigger than in the US) and we only started getting WW comics regularly with New 52. Meanwhile, the FF and Iron Man used to sell hundreds of thousands of copies back in the 70s and the 80s. That's why some of us took umbrage to statements like "Wonder Woman is a worldwide icon". We're not trying to put the character down, I'm one of her biggest fans on GAF, but that's just a rather ignorant generalization. She may very well become a worldwide icon at some point, the movie is certainly going to help, but she's still relatively obscure in some parts of the world, including some western countries.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's way too broad of a statement to make, it widely varies depending on the country. Just look at the european numbers for WW, first in the UK and then in continental Europe. There are plenty of countries where the comics were never translated, the DC shows outside of Batman were not successful and the 70s show never aired past its original run and is therefore completely forgotten. The comic-book market is gigantic where I live (much bigger than in the US) and we only started getting WW comics regularly with New 52. Meanwhile, the FF and Iron Man used to sell hundreds of thousands of copies back in the 70s and the 80s. That's why some of us took umbrage to statements like "Wonder Woman is a worldwide icon". We're not trying to put the character down, I'm one of her biggest fans on GAF, but that's just a rather ignorant generalization. She may very well become a worldwide icon at some point, the movie is certainly going to help, but she's still relatively obscure in some parts of the world, including some western countries.
Eh WW TV show was plenty popular in the UK what are you talking about? I still saw plenty of 30-40 year old women walking about with WW themed clothing way before the movies were even around many knew the theme and heard of the show.

llien

I think it's overrated, but that's how I feel about nearly all superhero movies.

The only exception I recall is... Watchmen (2009). Not sure if it counts as superhero.

Opinions are subjective by definition, so... :)

Eh WW TV show was plenty popular in the UK what are you talking about?

I'm not from the UK, that's not the country I was talking about when I mentioned the 70s show. And that's exactly what I meant by saying it varies widely depending on the country. WW has a lot more pull in the UK than she does in continental Europe. She has more history there than she does in France for example. That's my entire point.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not from the UK, that's not the country I was talking about when I mentioned the 70s show. And that's exactly what I meant by saying it varies widely depending on the country. WW has a lot more pull in the UK than she does in continental Europe. She has more history there than she does in France for example. That's my entire point.

Well of course but even taking that into chance are she's the most well known female supero hero in a lot of those countries. There really isn't all that much competiion. That counts for something and is shown in the gender ratios for a lot of it's audience worldwide.

Well of course but even taking that into chance are she's the most well known female supero hero in a lot of those countries. There really isn't all that much competiion. That counts for something and is shown in the gender ratios for a lot of it's audience worldwide.

Well, sure, but that's not saying much, sadly.
And if I wanted to really nitpick, I'd argue that Catwoman and a number of X-Women are more famous in my country but I'm not gonna do that ;P

Again, what myself and other euro-gaffers were arguing pre-release was her status as an "icon" in our part of the world, that's all. But hey, I don't mean to start that debate again. The movie still did alright internationally and while I'm unsure if DC and WB will be able to replicate its box-office success in North America with the sequel, they have a chance to boost the character Winter Soldier style with WW2 in the overseas markets so I hope that happens. Bring on Veronica Cale and Donna Troy!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well it did it, it's surpassed civil . Only notable records in reach now are Spiderman's worldwide highest superhero origin gross and iron man 3.

I don't know a single non-comic book person my age who saw anything to do with Wonder-Woman before the movie. I live in the UK and we only had Superman and Batman on TV, comics weren't as widespread here (or as mainstream) and in my memory we didn't get the TV show either.

What I do remember, however, is the 50 Marvel TV shows that were repeated ad nauseam on TV.

The rest of the DC roster (Aqua-man, Green Lantern, etc..) are largely known as a punchline on Big Bang Theory. I think you'd be really surprised.

The movie made money over here despite every other DCEU film being fucking awful and despite people not having much exposure to WW. They watched it because they heard it was a good movie, that's why the legs have been so good.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't know a single non-comic book person my age who saw anything to do with Wonder-Woman before the movie. I live in the UK and we only had Superman and Batman on TV, comics weren't as widespread here (or as mainstream) and in my memory we didn't get the TV show either.

What I do remember, however, is the 50 Marvel TV shows that were repeated ad nauseam on TV.

The rest of the DC roster (Aqua-man, Green Lantern, etc..) are largely known as a punchline on Big Bang Theory. I think you'd be really surprised.

The movie made money over here despite every other DCEU film being fucking awful and despite people not having much exposure to WW. They watched it because they heard it was a good movie, that's why the legs have been so good.
How old are your friends? Because if you were 30+ and a woman wonder woman was definitely a thing in the UK. Much like the hulk. Beyond that not so much but at that age range definitely.

How old are your friends? Because if you were 30+ and a woman wonder woman was definitely a thing in the UK. Much like the hulk. Beyond that not so much but at that age range definitely.
Yeah I'm sure that age range would, bloody old people with their grey hair and remembering things from before I was born.

I'm 25, have grey hair and remember very little.

dl77

Not to switch topic but as a Brit I remember watching WW on TV as a kid and not realising at the time just how attractive Lynda Carter actually was:

everyone-is-talking-about-the-new-wonder-woman-but-im-still-all-about-this-one-27-photos-6.jpg

142d4844cd6ae7afd5db4022f046a88a--linda-carter-beautiful-celebrities.jpg

Honestly, if I'd watched the series 10 years later.....

pQYaVqp.gif

TyrantII

This is great news for female super-hero films. WW was just ok though. Ironically held together by the male lead, Chris Pine's role.

The entire movie was built around Gadot and Pine, so I don't see why that's suprising. It's almost as if focusing on characters gives audiences a beachhead to steady themselves for the more ridiculous aspects of these super hero movies. That's the buy in.

Logan is another good example.

How did Dark Knight Rises make so much money? I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world that hated that movie. To me that movie is right in line with BVS and Suicide Squad. It's so bad...

How did Dark Knight Rises make so much money? I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world that hated that movie. To me that movie is right in line with BVS and Suicide Squad. It's so bad...
Yeah, you are the only one that hates TDKR, especially on GAF. TDKR came after the brilliant TDK and mainstream audiences liked TDKR.

TyrantII

I just watched it for the first time today. What really stood out, and it's something the Marvel films have always lacked, is a spectacular soundtrack that is memorable and emotional. I put this close to Nolans Batman score, its perfect and can move you from compassion to out-right war, those drum beats as the guitar rifts hits are so damn satisfying. WB DC movies really know how to make soundtracks that fit thier characters (Batman/WW), WW is burned into my memory simply due to the stellar work by Rupert Gregson Williams. Amazing stuff.

Oh and the film was brilliant, better then any Marvel movie I've seen to date. Great success story, hope we see more of Diana working with ordinary hero's, other remarkable humans that displayed great courage.

Yup, and this is coming from someone that was not impressed with her guitar rift theme. RGW did a really good job making it fit within the action pieces, and bluring all that with a wonderful period piece OST.

Bought this one right away.

TyrantII

Not the only one. Hype was there because of TDK, but HL death so obviously threw a wrench in Nolans trilogy plans.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm still surprised by how much people love this movie. It's a great movie, but not that great to have legs like this. That final act especially weakens the entire movie for me.

Are people watching this multiple times.. or are people just late?

It's been a lackluster year for blockbuster movies. Wonder Woman was one of the few nice surprises.

Top Bottom