• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' passes 'Civil War' today, 'Iron Man 3' tomorrow

Crazy. Even crazier considering Civil War is so much better.

Thankfully outside of the USA people had good taste.

Crazy that in 2017 we still see comments like this. We've been making fun of cringey neckbeard elitists for years now and still people lack the self-awareness to not come off as one.

kmfdmpig

Thankfully outside of the USA people had good taste.

Civil War must be honored to be so popular in countries which still love Transformers and POTC as clearly they are the ones with the best taste.

Fourth, it's Wonder friggin' Woman. She has shit tons of appeal and a generation of people that can still sing her TV theme song.

That's true. I'd almost put that under the second point of being underserved.

It's crazy to me that $400+ million is barely enough to crack the top 20 all time. The Box office has exploded in the last 15 years.

3D and other upsell tactics helped. It's partly why movies like Titantic and The Dark Knight are so impressive still.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Civil war was very boring on 2nd viewing. Need to see Wonder Woman again but I feel it won't be.

I've seen it twice third act on second run through drags (through I was fairly tired in general by that point) but everything else is still. aces. Watching the warehouse, opening and lasso-athon on the big screen is still aces.

Better movie doesn't mean better box office returns tho. Just look at Transformers (not saying WW is anything like TF).

It hit all the right buttons for audiences and they'll want to see it again, and take friends & family.

Future

Finally proof that female lead superheroes have nothing to do with lack of success. In fact, when done right, may be more successful than male lead superhero films

So what's the excuse now gonna be to not make these types of moveies

The threas predictably went Marvel vs DC in a hurry.

I like both so I'm most interested in finally breaking the "female heroes don't sell" myth. BP is my next most anticipated movie for similar reasons.

Yeah. Considering just three years ago you got Marvel CEO rationalizing those decisions with,

To: ”Lynton, Michael"
Subject: Female Movies
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 05:32:50 -0400

Michael,
As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples. There are more.

Thanks,

Ike

1. Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm

2. Catwoman (WB/DC) – Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film
was a disaster. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm

3. Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie
came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.

Best,
Ike

I'm sure the conversation now moves to needing additional evidence past Wonder Woman...

This is so annoying. You can just not like a movie without having to cast everyone who liked it (which, in this case, is the majority of people) as being weirdly out of step.

Look at the post it's a response to.

Blader

Civil War is an incredibly boring movie. Idk what alternative world you're living in.

This is so annoying. You can just not like a movie without having to cast everyone who liked it (which, in this case, is the majority of people) as being weirdly out of step.

kswiston

Title really should say North America

If you want to get technical, it's just US and Canada. People love kicking Mexico out of North America, but Iron Man 3 was ahead by over $25M there.

Iron Man 3 was a much bigger film than Wonder Woman though, in terms of budget and probably ad spend. Wonder Woman legging it to a slightly higher domestic total is super impressive.

REV 09

This is great news for female super-hero films. WW was just ok though. Ironically held together by the male lead, Chris Pine's role.

Yeah. Considering just three years ago you got Marvel CEO rationalizing those decisions with,

I'm sure the conversation now moves to needing additional evidence past Wonder Woman...

Well, I'm assuming that's Ike Perimutter, and he was the number one responsible fucking everything related to female inclusion (probably among other things) to the point where Kevin Feige no longer even has to report to him, no?

Blader

Man, I know I've seen this email before, but how did I miss that it was actually written by Ike? This is the same guy who was also blocking a Captain Marvel movie for years.

I have not met a female child between the age of 5 to 18 that hasn't loved wonder woman. Regardless of race or enconmic background. I work for a non profit that works with familes of low income. In my personal life my family is a little more foruntate to be of median and high income and regardless of status or skin tone every child i have met/worked with has absolutely adore wonder woman.

Kind of crazy to see how much of a pheonom and hero she is to girls across the nation.

DC found their cash cow.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I have not met a female child between the age of 5 to 18 that hasn't loved wonder woman. Regardless of race or enconmic background. I work for a non profit that works with familes of low income. In my personal life my family is a little more foruntate to be of median and high income and regardless of status or skin tone every child i have met/worked with has absolutely adore wonder woman.

Kind of crazy to see how much of a pheonom and hero she is to girls across the nation.

DC found their cash cow.

I mean the film litterally starts out with yong diana seeing other women kick ass and wants to join it. It's very much a power fantasy aimed at young women as well as older.

Kasumin

Well, I'm assuming that's Ike Perimutter, and he was the number one responsible fucking everything related to female inclusion (probably among other things) to the point where Kevin Feige no longer even has to report to him, no?

Man, I know I've seen this email before, but how did I miss that it was actually written by Ike? This is the same guy who was also blocking a Captain Marvel movie for years.

I've heard about Perlmutter being quite the bigot. Isn't he also involved in the comics? After recent controversies with comics, I'm curious now about who's making the top decisions in these companies. Sounds like a lot of them are old-fashioned in all the worst ways.

Don't get why we have to bash any of the movies mentioned in the first post in this thread. I enjoyed WW, Civil War, and didn't like IM3 that much. Glad to see WW do well, though I'm skeptical that the DCEU can replicate that success with JL. And that's just going by rumors and tidbits I've read about the films. I'd love for the DCEU to do well, but so far Marvel's still putting out films that appeal to me way more than DC films.

Well deserved. We live in an age where marvel movies are endless and have nothing to say. The characters always stay the same, with only an illusion of development and chaotic/generic plots. There are no identifiable theme to these movies and exist solely as vessels for cool cgi, snappy action scenes, and occasional funny one liners.

Wonder woman has a clear plot with clear character change. And the message of "be an empathetic person even if people don't deserve it" is fantastic. Hopefully wonder woman wakes up marvel and let's them know people want actual stories with people who change not endless stories of people who are rewarded for not changing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well deserved. We live in an age where marvel movies are endless and have nothing to say.

Yes, Wonder Woman truly is so different from Marvel movies.

(It's not. It's pretty much a Marvel movie.)

Hopefully wonder woman wakes up marvel and let's them know people want actual stories with people who change not endless stories of people who are rewarded for not changing.

This is near delusional.

Guardians 2 and especially Homecoming both got great reviews and were huge successes at the box office.

Marvel doesn't need to "wake up" and you don't speak for what people "want." The box office and reviews tell them what they want: movies like the ones they're putting out.

Neophant

Pretty exciting to see Wonder Woman tap into a new market that are willing to see Comic Book Superhero films that cater to both men excited to see the a character from the page come to life as well as women who can embrace what she represents. I could imagine a good portion of that audience will come out for Justice League come November, especially if Diana is in the forefront.

Kudos to Gal Gadot, Patty Jenkins and Zack Snyder for helping bring the character to life!

Ninjimbo

Gal and Patty keep serving crow to all the haters. This has been one incredible story of you ask me. Nobody really believed Wondy could pull this off and yet here we are.

Gotta thank WB and the Snyders for making this happen.

DC found their cash cow.

Well, the movie version of WW is a really likable and relatable character with all the best traits of humanity. It's something to look up to.
It makes the animated universe version of WW total ass, which is something I thought I'd never say about a DCEU movie.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I mean congrats but...how? I can't even comprehend it, looks like Hollywood has been sleeping on female dollars, I can't wait for black panther to blow them the fuck out.

Raguel

Gal and Patty keep serving crow to all the haters. This has been one incredible story of you ask me. Nobody really believed Wondy could pull this off and yet here we are.

Gotta thank WB and the Snyders for making this happen.
You mean Patty Jenkins. Fuck off with that Snyder masturbation. If it weren't for Jenkins, the iconic no man land scene wouldn't even be in the film. Jenkins was solely responsible for how WW turned out and I'm happy we got a great DC film. It's a good film and it's been rewarded as such.

You mean Patty Jenkins. Fuck off with that Snyder masturbation. If it weren't for Jenkins, the iconic no man land scene wouldn't even be in the film. Jenkins was solely responsible for how WW turned out and I'm happy we got a great DC film. It's a good film and it's been rewarded as such.

Snyder and his team deserves some credit for casting Gal out of nowhere, and despite a lot of internet whining. Aside from that though yeah it's all Jenkins. The movie wouldn't have been what it was without her, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Civil War is better but that doesn't mean much at the box office, as Michael Bay has taught us.

The more important note here, besides the fact that there is obviously an audience hungry for female superhero content that's done well, is that this is exactly the kind of box office success DC's big three should be having by default. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are universally recognized icons. The fact that it took three damn tries to actually have a major, record-breaking megahit and the character that did it was the one who'd never been given a movie before should be pushing WB to completely re-evaluate their approach to these movies, not just in terms of female leads and directors.

Yes, Wonder Woman truly is so different from Marvel movies.

(It's not. It's pretty much a Marvel movie.)

This is near delusional.

Guardians 2 and especially Homecoming both got great reviews and were huge successes at the box office.

Marvel doesn't need to "wake up" and you don't speak for what people "want." The box office and reviews tell them what they want: movies like the ones they're putting out.

Alright I haven't seen those movies so maybe they have changed but do you mind telling me what the central message of these films are and why the characters at the end of the movies are different from the characters at the start.

I'm just thinking of movies like Thor where at the beginning he is banished for being brash and trying to defend asgard, but at the end is rewarded for being brash and trying to save jane. Or captain America where he is already a great guy and just takes steroids.

Obviously marvel movies will continue to make money just like transformers or fast and furious but people want movies that are structurally good as evidenced by the success of wonder woman.

Well deserved. We live in an age where marvel movies are endless and have nothing to say. The characters always stay the same, with only an illusion of development and chaotic/generic plots. There are no identifiable theme to these movies and exist solely as vessels for cool cgi, snappy action scenes, and occasional funny one liners.

Wonder woman has a clear plot with clear character change. And the message of "be an empathetic person even if people don't deserve it" is fantastic. Hopefully wonder woman wakes up marvel and let's them know people want actual stories with people who change not endless stories of people who are rewarded for not changing.

WW is basically a Marvel movie. It uses the exact same formula. And not just Marvel, but every blockbuster movie out there. Marvel didn't even invent it, it's a formula that's been used since the 60s at its earliest.
Every negative you pointed out could apply to WW and every positive you pointed out could be applied to most MCU movies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
For most people.

If you like BvS, that's fine. But coming into the thread just to make some snarky "BUT I THOUGHT DCEU WAS BAD" post just looks silly. The general opinion is that the DCEU has one good movie out of four.

So yes, it's bad.
IS it the general opinion? We have to make sure to separate people saying stuff on the internet with what the everyday person thinks now, cause plenty of people liked MoS and BvS

7Th

Finally proof that female lead superheroes have nothing to do with lack of success. In fact, when done right, may be more successful than male lead superhero films

So what's the excuse now gonna be to not make these types of moveies

The international market.

TimFL

Opened this thread only to find out you guys are talking about the NA domestic box office. I always smirk at topics like these, I mean who cares about anything other than WW box office?

Raguel

Alright I haven't seen those movies so maybe they have changed but do you mind telling me what the central message of these films are and why the characters at the end of the movies are different from the characters at the start.

I'm just thinking of movies like Thor where at the beginning he is banished for being brash and trying to defend asgard, but at the end is rewarded for being brash and trying to save jane. Or captain America where he is already a great guy and just takes steroids.

Obviously marvel movies will continue to make money just like transformers or fast and furious but people want movies that are structurally good as evidenced by the success of wonder woman.
So you don't know what the fuck you're talking about?

Penguin

Opened this thread only to find out you guys are talking about the NA domestic box office. I always smirk at topics like these, I mean who cares about anything other than WW box office?

A lot of studios?

We've seen films that do well internationally, bomb stateside and are mothballed, more than once.

Snyder and his team deserves some credit for casting Gal out of nowhere, and despite a lot of internet whining. Aside from that though yeah it's all Jenkins. The movie wouldn't have been what it was without her, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Patty Jenkins was the key to making it great and deserves the credit. But movie making is a collaborative process. The Snyders, meaning Zack and Deborah, because I know people get weird about Zack as evidenced above, deserve credit for supporting Jenkins' vision as producers. Jenkins has said as much. And for finally giving the project a push in the first place. Having followed the nonstarter Wonder Woman projects for years, I'm thankful they made it a priority to get a Wonder Woman movie going.

Ninjimbo

Not to take away credit from Jenkins, but the movie was clearly expanding upon on what Snyder had already started to build. Snyder pushed to have WW in BvS and, if there's one thing most people agree on about BvS, is that WW was done well. The warm reception there paved way for the hype that this movie rode.

And if you think about the movie, unlike SS, it draws a clear relationship with its sister films: the look, the action, the story, even its tone, it all feels cohesive with what came before in MoS and BvS.

I'll give Jenkins the bulk of the credit of course, but even she will tell you that there was already a good foundation to work with.

As an aside, I think we should all admit that WW ended up being marketed really well. You couldn't escape the hype a few weeks before release. WB did a great job.

I mean, outside of movie studios who cares about box office at all outside of fanboys looking to circle jerk success or failure?

Nev

Banned
We're now thanking Snyder for "allowing" a Wonder Woman film to happen. A film about the third biggest hero in the DC universe and the biggest female superhero ever.

The lenghts some will go are embarrassing.

Hollywood movie studios...because it's mostly what they go by, and where they get the best returns. Like, when studios congratulate each other, as in the case with Jurassic World overtaking Avengers, and later Star Wars 7 overtaking Jurassic World, it's based on domestic numbers. Ain't that complicated.

MisterHero

We're now thanking Snyder for "allowing" a Wonder Woman film to happen. A film about the third biggest hero in the DC universe and the biggest female superhero ever.

The lenghts some will go are embarrassing.
He cast Gadot and helped produce WW. For her lack of presence in BvS she was one of the more memorable aspects, aka one of the things he did positively.

Or are you just going to shit on him just because?

Top Bottom