• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

I got Mikey winning as well. The only thing that makes it interesting is Broner's size and presumably power advantage. It could be competitive due to it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fuck I just missed the Pascal fight wtf.

Was interested in seeing his opponent fight actually.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I literally went:

"Man, this isn't going past round 5.

Wait make that 4.

2."

Fight stopped by coach.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Even though Fonfara is a step up in terms of competition (marginally)

Stevenson has not fought in almost a year. He has been hording his belts fighting mostly bums as well.

Been saying it for a couple of years now. You cannot be the Lineal Champion of the division and fight a bunch of bums.

I am moslty waiting for him to lose to the winner of Kovalev Ward 2

Round 1 of Stevenson vs. Fonfara was slaughter and could have been stopped by the end. But honestly, I'm not sure what to think of a 39yo who seems to have not declined at all with age. Hell, most of the top dogs are probably on gear but Stevenson, Marquez and others +37yos who seemingly lost no foot or handspeed with age are highly suspect to me at least.

Tater Tot

Round 1 of Stevenson vs. Fonfara was slaughter and could have been stopped by the end. But honestly, I'm not sure what to think of a 39yo who seems to have not declined at all with age. Hell, most of the top dogs are probably on gear but Stevenson, Marquez and others +37yos who seemingly lost no foot or handspeed with age are highly suspect to me at least.

Until boxing decides on an overeaching organization to test all the fights we will never really know.

There is not big overseer seeing boxing as their is with MMA(UFC). There are too many players in the boxing game with differing opinions about how testing should be done. Boxing is still pretty much in the dark ages compared to other sports when it comes to testing fighters.

We cannot have only one big organization such as USADA test all fighters because
a)it is very expensive
b)there are many state athletic commission that do not agree with their methods (out of competition testing all year)
c)Many belt organizations have their own testing agencies that they prefer (WADA,VADA,Olympic style testing)

The only fighter that really was very suspicious was Manny Pacquiao. Up until 2012 he moved up through 8 weight classes and maintained his speed and power which is extraordinarily hard to do.

Paulie Malignaggi was very critical of him stating that if you start testing him you will see a very sharp decline and he was right. After the Marquez fight and up until before you could see he was not the same fighter. Many were saying that he no longer had his killer instinct.

Another strong indicator was the 2010 negotiations between Floyd that fell apart due to Anti Doping Testing. Not to take anything away from him or his legacy though.

Also Stevenson is very dependent on his Power which is usually the last thing to go. Considering that he has mostly stayed in the Light Heavyweight Division and has no plans of moving, I do not see it going away any time soon. It is suspicous that he has maintained it almost in his 40s though.

Also Stevenson is very dependent on his Power which is usually the last thing to go. Considering that he has mostly stayed in the Light Heavyweight Division and has no plans of moving, I do not see it going away any time soon. It is suspicous that he has maintained it almost in his 40s though.

He was super fast and agile yesterday, it wasn't the power that impressed me. You'd expect fighters to slow down a tad at some point like Mayweather or Hopkins who adapted their style to their declining speed with age.

I agree Pac juiced his way through the divisions, no other explanation really.

Tom_Cody

AAA prospect Money Powell IV (yes, that’s his real name) scored another highlight-reel KO over the weekend

AdoredGleefulGlassfrog.gif

Full quality: https://gfycat.com/AdoredGleefulGlassfrog

Blue Lou

I saw this on Twitter. It's the pricelist for an event in Ghana to be in the same room as Floyd Mayweather. 100 Ghanaian Cedi are around $20 USD.

DBzaaIvXUAA2IzY.jpg

Mayweather is expected to pay a courtesy call on the President Nana Akufo-Addo and also attend a boxing event at the Bukom Boxing Arena. He is also expected to headline a dinner event to wrap up his tour.

Tater Tot

Is Ward-Kovalev II the least hyped fight in boxing of recent memory? The fight is this weekend as a rematch against two arguable Top 5 P4P fighters and there has been practically zero promotion heh.

I don't know who will take it this time. Last time I had Ward but if you believe what Kovalev said in 24/7 he was over trained for the first match resulting in him being completely exhausted after the 5th round.

Even with his "exhaustion" Ward barely got through that with the skin of his teeth. I think both fighters are going to go into this bout more conditioned. However I don't see Ward having an answer to Kovalev's Jab.

Leunam

Late to the game here but I've been catching up on some fights with HBO Now. I'm blown away by how Vargas was picked apart by Berchelt, especially coming off of the Salido fight. And now I understand Berchelt is supposed to fight Miura? Berchelt is going to feast on him I think.

Turin

Banned
Is Ward-Kovalev II the least hyped fight in boxing of recent memory? The fight is this weekend as a rematch against two arguable Top 5 P4P fighters and there has been practically zero promotion heh.

I don't know who will take it this time. Last time I had Ward but if you believe what Kovalev said in 24/7 he was over trained for the first match resulting in him being completely exhausted after the 5th round.

Even with his "exhaustion" Ward barely got through that with the skin of his teeth. I think both fighters are going to go into this bout more conditioned. However I don't see Ward having an answer to Kovalev's Jab.

Supposedly, Ward wasn't able to do road work for the first fight for some reason. I have noticed he looks slightly less bulky and more energetic in preparation for this fight. Mackie Shilstone's apparent absence might have something to do with that though(I see that as a positive).

Anyway, I think Ward will show a more concentrated effort toward a clear decision victory. You can't be sure with Sergey's range and power though.

Tater Tot

Supposedly, Ward wasn't able to do road work for the first fight for some reason. I have noticed he looks slightly less bulky and more energetic in preparation for this fight. Mackie Shilstone's apparent absence might have something to do with that though(I see that as a positive).

Anyway, I think Ward will show a more concentrated effort toward a clear decision victory. You can't be sure with Sergey's range and power though.

It was concerning Wards knee that prevented road work. The weigh ins were today and Ward does look leaner.

Tomorrow will be interesting

BadAss2961

kov won the first but i expect ward to win the second.
I agree on both counts. Thought Kovalev was too far ahead at one point for Ward to catch up, and even if Ward was closing the gap, some of his winning rounds weren't very convincing.

I think a technician like Ward having 12 rounds of experience against Kovalev will lead to a better fight for him. Kovalev is so dangerous though. He's out for blood in this time.

Turin

Banned
Andre Ward has pretty much been my favorite boxer for about 8 years.

That said, I had the first fight 114-113 for Kovalev. I don't think Andre closed the gap enough even though the audience was going crazy about things Kovalev didn't even land.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Kovalev won the first fight IMO but it was such a close fight. I don't feel like anyone on Earth can make a legit case for a clear win for either of them. I feel like tonight will either be a replay of the first fight with the victory going to the right man, or a lighter, faster Ward will take the UD.

Still Kovalev's power is the great equalizer. He could flatten Ward at any moment.

Wow HBO commentators who usually (and rightly so) roast judges now show us round 10 of the first fight and say that judges see things we don't see so clearly they were right to all score it for Ward. 😂

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guy was holding him behind the head, and when the bell rung he let him go and then hit him. Disqualify him.

Top Bottom