• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Glad to be off the previous page, fucking 1TB gif or whatever it was.

Lemieux gassed out by the end of the 4th, let Reyes take it over for the next two rounds to get back in and tire him a bit, and is looking for an opening. Can't not win this fight.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Reyes is the one who won something out of this fight in the end if you think about it. Not a good look for Lemieux VS Canelo promoting, I don't think it will happen.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
was it gonna happen though? Arent both fighters part of golden boy stable?

No idea, just started hearing that tonight, I like boxing but don't follow it enough. I don't think a Canadian is a good pick against a hugely popular Mexican if they want to make a lot of money, especially not good-guy Lemieux. Can't even use Canadian beef trade disputes to hype this.

edit: I think Canelo will fight GGG next or after a rematch with Chavez if there's a chance for one. Canelo wants to throw Chavez out, be declared the king of boxing in Mexico. Then what? There's nothing left, you gotta go for GGG and eat your pride and train to win it. I think it will happen. Canelo won't be tarnished for losing against GGG, and he theoretically could win (I don't think so but he "could"). That's his pride right there. Dodge it after Chavez and you lose a good chunk of that pride.

edit2: I can imagine what GGG will say after this "Mike, this is not boxing.".

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Max, Max, listen.... This is boxing?

Lol, GGG's in ring talk is hilarious.

Decent fight for Canelo.

Did he really say that? Lol, called it. He always says "Max, this is boxing.", that's his answer to every single question. This time he had to add an interrogation mark.

edit: So Canelo VS GGG is confirmed? I missed it. Called it!

Did I not say Canelo was going to fight GGG in September? Do I need to pull up all the posters in this thread who said I was dead wrong? LOL

I hope Canelo wins and will be rooting for him, but believe GGG knocks out Canelo.

Oh yeah, and let's put this in perspective GGG's biggest fight against his best opponent will be against a career Junior Middleweight coming up in weight who loss handily to a past his prime, older, smaller Mayweather who went up to his 5th division to easily defeat him.

Did I not say Canelo was going to fight GGG in September? Do I need to pull up all the posters in this thread who said I was dead wrong? LOL

I hope Canelo wins and will be rooting for him, but believe GGG knocks out Canelo.

Oh yeah, and let's put this in perspective GGG's biggest fight against his best opponent will be against a career Junior Middleweight coming up in weight who loss handily to a past his prime old smaller Mayweather who went up to his 5th division to easily defeat him.

mayweather was still fairly in his prime and canelo was still not that experienced in fights vs good fighters. it's floyd dude, not like he lost to some scrub. canelo is hard to ko too so I am surprised you say that with confidence.

mayweather was still fairly in his prime and canelo was still not that experienced in fights vs good fighters. it's floyd dude, not like he lost to some scrub. canelo is hard to ko too so I am surprised you say that with confidence.

He was still good, but he was past his physical prime. He was 36, which is normally ancient for Welterweights.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
anything quotable?

Bunce said it was the worst main event he ever saw.

I hope Good Guy GGG (GGGGG) wins, but I expect it to go 12 rounds so it's up in the air. I think GGG has been holding back to make this fight happen.

Canelo does have the advantage having just come out of a 12 rounds sparring match and moving on to GGG.

Oh yeah, and let's put this in perspective GGG's biggest fight against his best opponent will be against a career Junior Middleweight coming up in weight who loss handily to a past his prime, older, smaller Mayweather who went up to his 5th division to easily defeat him.

I honestly don't think GGG will win the rematch between Jacobs with how he was fighting Jacobs. I believe Jacobs will adapt more from their first fight and GGG will fall back to his usual rush attacks. Jacobs will counter GGG all night and land his own flurries to fluster GGG just like the first fight.

I don't know who to pick between Canelo v GGG because I like them both, honestly. It should be competitive from my pov.

Brashnir

When was the last time Canelo actually fought at 154? Please. He has been a middleweight for years.

Turin

Banned
I think Canelo has a better chance than some are giving him. He's gonna catch GGG repeatedly and he's good defensively when he wants to be.

Brashnir

I think Canelo has a better chance than some are giving him. He's gonna catch GGG repeatedly and he's good defensively when he wants to be.

I don't think any reasonable fight fans think Canelo doesn't have a chance. I think it is a fight where both fighters can reasonably win. That's why people have wanted to see it for so long.

edit - as for the fight tonight, it was the boring, one-sided waste of time every serious fight fan expected it to be when it was announced. Chavez Jr. never belonged in the ring with a fighter of this quality. Especially at this stupid catchweight.

phaonaut

Didn't realize there was a boxing community until someone mentioned it in the alvarez event thread.

Anyway, do you all know this thread turns 10 years old in 2 days?

When was the last time Canelo actually fought at 154? Please. He has been a middleweight for years.

He's been fighting at 155 and his last fight before Chavez Jr against Liam Smith was 154 at the Junior Middleweight limit. So what are you talking about?

I honestly don't think GGG will win the rematch between Jacobs with how he was fighting Jacobs. I believe Jacobs will adapt more from their first fight and GGG will fall back to his usual rush attacks. Jacobs will counter GGG all night and land his own flurries to fluster GGG just like the first fight.

I don't know who to pick between Canelo v GGG because I like them both, honestly. It should be competitive from my pov.

I mean Canelo has a better chance now than he did 2 years ago, however GGG should be by far the favorite. Him fighting Chavez or Amir Khan masks Canelo's deficiencies.

Turin

Banned
GGG's great jab has been what separated him in the face of more challenging assignments. I don't know if Canelo can do anything about that but I've been surprised by how hittable GGG's been as his competition got better.

ZoddGutts

Didn't comment on GGG previous fight since I was away. Pretty damn close fight, still had it GGG winning but still very close. Jacobs threw more punches but most didn't really land cleaning, I can see why some people thought he won simply for throwing more punches (not really landing though). Wouldn't mind a rematch, bet though GGG has it in the contract that Jacobs doesn't skip the 2nd weight check like he did before the fight (10 pounds heavier).

As for the fight with Canelo vs Chavez, somewhat boring fight, too one sided with Chavez not really doing anything. The september fight with Canelo and GGG will bring it for sure, I expect both fighters possibly going down. Excited, 4 months to go...

Didn't comment on GGG previous fight since I was away. Pretty damn close fight, still had it GGG winning but still very close. Jacobs threw more punches but most didn't really land cleaning, I can see why some people thought he won simply for throwing more punches (not really landing though). Wouldn't mind a rematch, bet though GGG has it in the contract that Jacobs doesn't skip the 2nd weight check like he did before the fight (10 pounds heavier).

As for the fight with Canelo vs Chavez, somewhat boring fight, too one sided with Chavez not really doing anything. The september fight with Canelo and GGG will bring it for sure, I expect both fighters possibly going down. Excited, 4 months to go...

It was I believe the IBF belt that mandated the 2nd weight check which isn't normally done when they're not involved, so I doubt that gets put in the contract. 10 lbs heavier is normal for a Middleweight to go up to after weight in.

Syder

Put Lemieux vs Jacobs on the undercard to set up who fights the winner of GGG/Canelo
giphy.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Even I expect Canelo to win, but I hope GGG wins decisively. I still think he has been hiding his hand for business' sake.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I got canelo winning, now that he made the fight with GGG I can't really talk shit about him any more.

If he wins he will probably be #2 greatest Mexican fighter of all time.

If he would have beat Mayweather and GGG he would be GOAT

I don't know what Barthelemy's plan is.... Relikh also can't seem to put him down though lol.

Edit: lol, ok. It seems closer from my pov. Quantity vs Quality, I guess?

Top Bottom