• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Was really hoping for a Joshua demolition job last night but Klitschko really turned back the clock and put on such a performance that I was gutted for him when he got finished. Great fight.

Tom_Cody

In case anyone missed it, amazing fight until Round 11...

cNVb6XH.gif

eDKHicL.gif

ZF1Fy7i.gif

gccuPka.gif
Cheers.

Man, what a fight.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I totally forgot they were fighting in the UK and missed the fight! I got home yesterday and was looking for it and then found out it already happened! Not only did I miss the fight but it turned out to be one of the best HW fights in a long time lmao.

Had to watch it on youtube.

Great gifs lads

I think Joshua has to fight Pulev next as his IBF mandatory. They would strip him if he doesn't. Then there's the convoluted WBA situation where Ortiz is mandatory and has indicated he will not take step aside money, but there's also Briggs/Oquendo for the regular title......

So that gives Fury time for a tune up or two and time for Wilder and parker to unify

El Topo

I think Joshua has to fight Pulev next as his IBF mandatory. They would strip him if he doesn't. Then there's the convoluted WBA situation where Ortiz is mandatory and has indicated he will not take step aside money, but there's also Briggs/Oquendo for the regular title......

So that gives Fury time for a tune up or two and time for Wilder and parker to unify

Joshua-Pulev sounds like a fun (short) bout to be fair.

BadAss2961

Briggs/Oquendo?

What year is it again?

jchap

Even though its incredibly likely, I hope Canelo handles his business. I don't want anything derailing the already shaky GGG-Canelo train.

Beefy

Well, he'd need to. He was 247 lbs (112 kg) for the Klitschko fight, that's like 8.5 stone lighter than he is now.

I was getting at he has no chance to lose that much then beat Joshua. Fury is even saying he won't need a tune up fight.

Syder

I was getting at he has no chance to lose that much then beat Joshua. Fury is even saying he won't need a tune up fight.
He can lose that. He got fat after the Klitschko fight and started losing a lot of it into the run up to the rematch before he got popped by UKAD.

He will need a tune-up fight though. He needs to prove to promoters he can stay clean and actually finish a fight again.

Tom_Cody

Predictions for Canelo/Chávez?
The fight that continues to come to mind is Oscar De La Hoya vs. Ricardo Mayorga. Going in, the conventional wisdom was that Mayorga had the chin and size to go the distance against a past-his-prime De La Hoya. Instead, DLH punished the slow crude Mayorga, knocking him down in the first and then taking him out in the 6th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEPFa5iLWwY

I think that Canelo's boxing ability is a few classes above Chavez jr's. I think that Canelo will be able to see everything coming that Chavez can possibly produce, and he will answer back with punishing countershots. He will gain confidence as the rounds go on and he will take him out by round 6-8.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damn Lemieux again, he'll have had like four fights in a year by October or so.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah he's fun.

Called this fight would end by the end of round 4, seems like it will happen.

His fights always look one-sided though. He can't beat Canelo, it will be a replay of his GGG fight. I doubt promoters would even want this fight? Sounds like people wouldn't care much about it.

edit: Haven't been following Stevenson, I see he still hasn't lost a fight, but I don't recognize any names except his next opponent which is Fonfara.

edit: Welp no end yet. Lemieux regaining his energy since it went one past the 4th I think. He's gonna end this when he decides to come back in. Reyes is really big, too bad he didn't go all in earlier on.

The fight that continues to come to mind is Oscar De La Hoya vs. Ricardo Mayorga. Going in, the conventional wisdom was that Mayorga had the chin and size to go the distance against a past-his-prime De La Hoya. Instead, DLH punished the slow crude Mayorga, knocking him down in the first and then taking him out in the 6th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEPFa5iLWwY

I think that Canelo's boxing ability is a few classes above Chavez jr's. I think that Canelo will be able to see everything coming that Chavez can possibly produce, and he will answer back with punishing countershots. He will gain confidence as the rounds go on and he will take him out by round 6-8.

Great comparison. This is where I'm at as well.

Top Bottom