• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That headbutt on Beltran looked intentional.

edit: HOLY SHIT did not expect that after that machine gunning from Marciello. Guy is still down! Looks like his head hitting the mat did more damage than the hook.

Guy is still down, out on a stretcher. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
that was a one punch KO. Was intense

Edit: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl skysports commentary is the best saying he looks suspiciously big lmao

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Geez this interview is taking forever.

edit: I always like Steve Bunce's "It's not Jim, Max, it's Steve".

Tater Tot

crawfordgot caught with some wild hooks he might catch a fade if he doesnt keep his hands up while moving laterally backwards

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crawford's style reminds me a bit of Mayweather.

edit: lol, outright taunting him repeatedly in his face. Diaz trying to play like he can taunt too and got caught.

Man I'll watch all of this guy's fights in the future. Fun stuff.

Crawford schooling him non stop.

edit: Never saw a boxer taunt this much. Just literally knocked at the guy's head like it was a door! I wish we had gifs of all this. Just after looking and almost talking to people off the ring. I'm a new fan.

TuXx

It would be an entertaining fight but Pacquiao has earned some easy money fights

I don't think it's even a competitive fight anymore. If the fight does happen, Pac is gonna get his ass whopped.

Pac would have to be aggressive and make it a dog fight to have a chance, but Pac doesn't have another war in him. That Marquez knock out baptized him.

jchap

Naoya Inoue continues to punch way above his weight limit. He destroyed his opponent today. Too bad the potential Chocolatito fight was derailed... Hope it happens after he gets his title back.

Turin

Banned
Crawford vs. Pacquiao is a nice fight but I want him to mix it up with the young guns like Errol Spence and Keith Thurman.

Speaking of which, I need Brook vs. Spence in my life. This is gonna be a long week.

Lack of charisma, and like it or not that plays a huge factor in who becomes a star and who doesn't.

Maybe. He's at his most charismatic when he's pissed off. There's a few boxers that built a persona off of that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crawford has the charisma, but he needs the big fights for that charisma to pay off. He has to knock on Pacquiao's head like he did on Diaz or something.

Turin

Banned
There's unanswered questions about Errol Spence. I think if he stays disciplined and calm under pressure, he should be able to beat Brook impressively.

Brook's not to be taken lightly though. He's as formidable as any other top level welterweight right now. What he lacks in solid fundamentals, he makes up for with his physical gifts and monster intensity.

Rumor going around that broner and mikey garcia will fight in july!

Not anymore.

Mikey would whack him around.

Edit: I read more on it. Maybe it'll happen.

There's unanswered questions about Errol Spence. I think if he stays disciplined and calm under pressure, he should be able to beat Brook impressively.

Brook's not to be taken lightly though. He's as formidable as any other top level welterweight right now. What he lacks in solid fundamentals, he makes up for with his physical gifts and monster intensity.

I honestly don't know how good Brook is because the only top fighter he's beaten at Welterweight is Shawn Porter and that was a very competitive and close fight with a clear winner. I liked what I saw in Brook but wasn't overly impressed and don't really know how he'd fair against the other top welterweights because he hadn't fought them and made a dumb ass move to fight Golovkin, same dumb ass move Khan did in fighting Canelo.

I think Errol Spence beats him decisively.

I honestly don't know how good Brook is because the only top fighter he's beaten at Welterweight is Shawn Porter and that was a very competitive and close fight with a clear winner. I liked what I saw in Brook but wasn't overly impressed and don't really know how he'd fair against the other top welterweights because he hadn't fought them and made a dumb ass move to fight Golovkin, same dumb ass move Khan did in fighting Canelo.

Brook won clearly vs porter who is a very good fighter. He also surprised everyone in what he did vs golovkin. Considering his weight and what he did vs ggg I'd say he is pretty impressive.

Syder

I liked what I saw in Brook but wasn't overly impressed and don't really know how he'd fair against the other top welterweights because he hadn't fought them and made a dumb ass move to fight Golovkin, same dumb ass move Khan did in fighting Canelo.
'Dumb ass move' in what sense? They both made a lot of money from those fights. Brook looked a lot better at middleweight than Amir Khan did.

Turin

Banned

Errol Spence should beat all of these welterweights decisively but he has to fight the fights.

Really, I think Brook is a potent brawler with some nice footwork. For as long as he's young and can make weight without killing his performance, he's a nasty assignment for any welterweight. Him against Thurman would be a great fight.

Brook won clearly vs porter who is a very good fighter. He also surprised everyone in what he did vs golovkin. Considering his weight and what he did vs ggg I'd say he is pretty impressive.

Dude got TKO'd in the 5th round. He got knocked out like everybody expected. I learned nothing from him in that fight except that it was a stupid move. He hadn't come close to fighting all the top welterweights in his division, yet alone any in Junior middleweight, for him to go to Middleweight to fight the top guy in a fight he had no chance of winning. For you to claim it's impressive, means you hold the bar very low.

'Dumb ass move' in what sense? They both made a lot of money from those fights. Brook looked a lot better at middleweight than Amir Khan did.

Dumb ass move, because they were already making good money and fighting in a division that's deep with talent with names. There was no need for them to go up another division. It'd be different if they were that exceptional and had already conquered most of the top opponents in their division, or there was no names or talent in their division, or they were fighting for small purses. In Khan's case, if your weakness is your defense and suspect chin, then you don't go up a division and fight bigger guys who hit harder. In Brook's case, he had barely proved himself in welterweight. Golovkin wishes he was fighting in division as deep in talent with names as welterweight. It'd be different if they earned massive paydays, but relatively speaking the risk wasn't worth the reward. There's no telling how the effect of those fights will have in the future on their career.

Dude got TKO'd in the 5th round. He got knocked out like everybody expected. I learned nothing from him in that fight except that it was a stupid move. He hadn't come close to fighting all the top welterweights in his division, yet alone any in Junior middleweight, for him to go to Middleweight to fight the top guy in a fight he had no chance of winning. For you to claim it's impressive, means you hold the bar very low.

Dumb ass move, because they were already making good money and fighting in a division that's deep with talent with names. There was no need for them to go up another division. It'd be different if they were that exceptional and had already conquered most of the top opponents in their division, or there was no names or talent in their division, or they were fighting for small purses. In Khan's case, if your weakness is your defense and suspect chin, then you don't go up a division and fight bigger guys who hit harder. In Brook's case, he had barely proved himself in welterweight. Golovkin wishes he was fighting in division as deep in talent with names as welterweight. It'd be different if they earned massive paydays, but relatively speaking the risk wasn't worth the reward. There's no telling how the effect of those fights will have in the future on their career.
I know it was not a good move but what he did in those rounds was impressive considering he was the smaller guy.

I know it was not a good move but what he did in those rounds was impressive considering he was the smaller guy.

I mean Brook is talented, that's why it was stupid as hell to put their boxer at risk against Golovkin when there are so many big fights he could fight at welterweight including one against Khan. There was no need to rush, plus it's not as if people were even asking for that fight. Brook should've concerned himself with making his mark in the welterweight division first. It's not as if he had trouble making weight, there were no good opponents or fights to be had, he wasn't making good money, or the amount he made against Golovkin was so huge that it was worth it because it wasn't.

Welterweight is one of the most stacked divisions that get's the spotlight and constantly get replenished by top talents from Junior Welterweight and Lightweight. I honestly don't know what the fuck his team was thinking.

IrishNinja

hey, so general heavybag question here: years back, i vaguely remember a trainer saying something like if the bag is spinning when you hit it, your distance is wrong (either too close or too far) and that it was indicative of form. anyone know if that's quite right?

Tater Tot

Broner vs Mikey Garcia -Premier Boxing Champions

Saturday, July 29 LIVE on SHOWTIME

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-vs-adrien-broner-deal-reached-july-29--117141

hey, so general heavybag question here: years back, i vaguely remember a trainer saying something like if the bag is spinning when you hit it, your distance is wrong (either too close or too far) and that it was indicative of form. anyone know if that's quite right?

I am not sure about the bag spinning because when I hit it, it never spins. A good rule of thumb on range is that if you extend your arm and the glove is touching the bag you are already getting hit

Top Bottom