• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Finished the game today.

I really enjoyed it a good deal. I liked the characters, it was a ton of fun. Not as funny as the other TIM! games, but better than your average game. They needed more of the stage manager character (HILARIOUS) and less of the melodrama metal stuff. Also, the best character in the game was the demon you raced against. The game needs about 10000x more of him :lol In a lot of ways the game was a one trick pony that felt like one long Metalocolypse episode. I like metal alright, but I can only laugh at "look how fucking metal this is" so many times.

That said (code for on to the bitching).

This game was really really fucking short. I think I beat it in 6 hours.. and that was with a good deal of fucking around. I think I wound up around 80% complete by the time I was finished with the playthrough.. so I spent a lot of time doing side quests and finding hidden things in the world. Pretty sure I could have gotten through it in 4 hours if I wanted to.. and cut out the overworld stuff (mostly filler) and it feels like there are only 2-3 hours of actual gameplay. Maybe it's because I was having a lot of fun, but this game seems just insanely short.

The game has some real technical issues.. slowdown and pop in. On top of all of that, the game is pretty ugly for having so many problems. I love the art style, but this really doesn't scream "OMG SO AWESOME" graphics that would justify the slowdown we get.

I really enjoyed the light RTS elements in the game. They keep the game from becoming a mindless hack n slash that most games in this genre reduce themselves too late in the game. I like building a squad, leveling them up, etc. I like the fact that I can sent half my guys one way and then take a smaller group with me and be assured that we will both be succesful. Grabbing the wings and flying over to help a squad in trouble out.

There are a few issues. I wish there was an easy way to select half the units in a group and send them somewhere else. I wish there was a better/faster way to select a specific unit type. I wish there was some stats about your current troop makeup. Late in the game when your guys are dropping like flys it would be nice to know what you should be building. Just a little graphic next to the troop type on the selection menu would have gone a long way in this game.

Some of the units were also largely useless.. I wound up using the same basic squad makeup for every battle. Maybe throw in some wrinkles to force me to change my strategy.

I think it worked well to add a bit of strategy and management to a hack n slash game.. but you were all but assured an easy victory with the right strategy.. I felt that the RTS elements worked well but they should have done more to make you get involved in the action. Like a mid-fight boss that required you to kill it or something. The trick to beating the AI every single time is to take over the fan geysers nearest the stage and leave your troops near the geysers furthers from the stage. Level up your stage, level up your troops then march to war. Get there right as your troops do and drop the face melter followed by the zeplin and you will take down every enemy type with a few exceptions. Jump on the moving stage, hit the combo move and finish off any lingering baddies.

Made the final few fights *really* fucking easy.

Would like to see a sequel, but they need more variety in the side missions.. some beefier side missions and just more missions in general. I didn't feel the game had enough going on to warrant the open world design... just seemed like a standard linear game progression, but you could go look for stuff between missions. Needed more to do in the world other than a handful of (mostly boring) side missions and looking for junk scattered around the world.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just bumping to let you guys know that Brutal Legend price dropped to $20. I just got it , looking forward to giving it a try.

bandresen said:
Good thing this thread came up again. I wasn't going to resurrect it myself, but I have to voice this:

WTF DoubleFine, how can you patch the audio in 1.01 and fuck it up again with patch 1.02

The PS3 version has the same issue that many people reported back in the demo thread.
(SFX are inaudible or muffled in cutscenes. The huge beast in the tutorial area makes no sound. The huge gate crushing down makes a tiny amount of sound. It's ridiculous.)

This is the first situation where automatic patching of titles on a console has fucked me. You can't play the retail versions without the first patch, because it's fucked. But you also can't play the game now because it's again fucked. There was a period of time between the release and now where you could play the game without this issue...
I'm very disappointed. I can't even get to the part where the game presumably sucks with the RTS elements because a game that overtly loves music has ridiculous audio issues. :p

Oh WTF!?

Nevermind! (>__<)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bummer, luckily I went with the 360 version. Still, it's a good opportunity for the people who waited to give this game a try.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sorry for the double, but I'm really liking this game so far. So metal, but I have one problem. Am I the only one seeing vertical green lines on the right side of the screen? (360) It's not a big deal but it's kind of distracting.

Hello, old friend.

I need more Brutal Legend. I miss it.
Scrap that multi for BL2 and make it a long ass SP like Jak 3 but with metalllllllll.

Buy this game people, $20 is a gol' darn bargain.

Buckethead said:
Hello, old friend.

Scrap that multi for BL2 and make it a long ass SP like Jak 3 but with metalllllllll.

please no BL2 , original game or psychonauts 2 :d

momolicious said:
please no BL2 , original game or psychonauts 2 :d
I'm down for a Psychonauts 2, but if done right, BL as a franchise could be the biggest/most popular thing Papa Schaf has ever done.

I want moar!!!

wRATH2x

Banned
Buckethead said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

And have the RTS game as its own missions, with more action adventure missions with bosses. A lot more racing, animals and creature who you could raise, more weapons, a larger overworld, more music, and just more more MORE!!!!

Come on Tim we all love you but Brutal Legend was way too short, it could have been my game of the generation if it was much longer.

StoOgE

Snuggler said:
Sorry for the double, but I'm really liking this game so far. So metal, but I have one problem. Am I the only one seeing vertical green lines on the right side of the screen? (360) It's not a big deal but it's kind of distracting.

I had the same problem.

I am guessing your TV has 1:1 pixel mapping?

Most games/TV shows are meant for TV's that use something called overscan... where the TV cuts off about 2% of the image on all sides. In the last 2-3 years better TV's have come out with 1:1 pixel mapping which means no overscan,. This is great because it means you can

1) see the entire image

2)the image quality is increased (the image isn't blown up but shown in it's original resolution)

3) you don't get image distortion. some TVs would overscan unevenly.. so 2% on the sides, 4% on the top, 3% on the bottom which would lead to an image that wasn't the same shape as the original.

In any case, the problem is some games/TV shows don't use the entire image space because they assumed TVs would have overscan. This is where you get stuff like Brutal Legend having a single line of green pixels on the righhand side of the screen.

Yeah, for those that passed on this you might want to reconsider now that it is $20. The characters are storyline are a hoot. The RTS aspect is not that hard . . . I don't play those games and I had no problem finishing it.

BTW a little pro-tip for people struggling with the last 2-3 RTS missions on Brutal difficulty....

to destroy the enemy stage, grab the 2 closest fan geysers and turtle from there. Especially in the 2nd to last mission. When ready sent all your troops to the stage for distraction, fly to the stage, do a facemelter+zeppelin and summon a hextadon. Ignore enemies and keep stomping the stage for an easy victory, you might have to repeat another hextadon summon though.

I'm such a RTS retarded, I can't pass that second (first after training) RTS stage battle...

I collected everything in the world so far... Stuck in front of a giant gate... Now what ? This game is heart breaking to me: stupid ass RTS battle that I can't manage but incredibly awesome world/caracters/music/atmosphere/missions...

Can I dream about a patch to remove all RTS battle ? Or a cheat that can let me win these fights very quick ?

UnluckyKate said:
I'm such a RTS retarded, I can't pass that second (first after training) RTS stage battle...
They really are not that hard unless you are playing on a very difficult level. Are you sure you are not forgetting something? Make sure to grab the fan geysers, keep spawning units, and run around the battlefield using your power-chords. That face-melter is awesome.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Buckethead said:
Hello, old friend.

As a counterpoint-I think $20 is about the right price for it. I loved everything about this game except the game part. I'm one of those people who didn't really follow it at all and just bought it because it was Tim Schafer, and it's the first time I've ever regretted doing that.

Twenty bucks is worth it for what the game does well, but it's probably the most disappointed I've ever been in a game. If I had tempered expectations and didn't drop sixty dollars on it on the first day it was released, maybe I wouldn't feel so bad about it. For a few hours, I did think it was a great game for what it's worth.

speculawyer said:
They really are not that hard unless you are playing on a very difficult level. Are you sure you are not forgetting something? Make sure to grab the fan geysers, keep spawning units, and run around the battlefield using your power-chords. That face-melter is awesome.

I think you're underestimating how many people play this game with zero RTS experience. That's the camp I'm in. The RTS parts weren't entirely hard, but they were difficult enough along with being uninteresting to me that I didn't bother continuing after about the third one. I dropped the game during that battle and haven't picked it up since.

Oh, and protect the bus was the worst thing in gaming I experienced last year.

I should add, and clarify, that I fully admit the reasons I don't like Brutal Legend are entirely centered around the fact that I have zero interest or history with RTS games. When I bought the game, what I had heard was sparse but was pretty much under the assumption that the RTS stuff was in the single player game but not a focus, and was mainly meant for the multiplayer game. The reality is more that the entire single player game is about half open world action game with repetitive missions, with the other half being buildup to these RTS-ish battles.

StoOgE

I found the RTS stuff to be extremely easy.

That said, I was a RTS whore about 10 years ago. It's been forever since I've played one, but the general knowledge is there.

Really turtling is your best option. The game doesn't really come after your base hard until after you have engaged the enemies main forces. Fully level up your base, fully level up the 3 squads that can be leveled up (headbangers, groupies, medics/bass players. These should really be your 3 main forces. Use the long range vehicles, the moving stage and the amazon women on the fire cats.

Really, the other unit types (roadies, fire choppers, bouncers) shouldn't really be used in the RTS elements. The bouncer has some use against enemy vehicles, but not fast moving enemy vehicles. The chopper guys are good against large numbers of enemies, but not as good as the fire cats. The roadies are meant to work as a spy type unit but really are worthless. I guess you can send them off on their own to distract the enemy while your forces move somewhere, but the game is never that tactical..

Just make sure you have a fully upgraded stage, a full army and a shitload of cash before you march on the enemy stage. Swoop in use your solos, then swoop out to restock your troups that have died. Be sure and fly back to your stage and send the new troops directions into the battlefield.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm stuck at the Dry Ice stage battle on Brutal. It seems that I'm not able to multi-task enough to succeed in this game.

Ugh.

Proven

Brazil said:
I'm stuck at the Dry Ice stage battle on Brutal. It seems that I'm not able to multi-task enough to succeed in this game.

Ugh.

Just keep your army in a ball. The left side tower is the one close to you, so go after that or the mid tower first, then just storm her base. The hard part is that if you clash with her, you need to get good at picking off the debuff units quickly so you don't incur too many losses.

Not to start any arguments, but did this game bomba?

I actually bought the game Day 1 but not too long after, I saw the price cuts from 50>40>30> and now 20!

I dont remember reading any articles regarding the "good" sales from this game either.

Poor Schafer :(

fu3lfr3nzy said:

I actually bought the game Day 1 but not too long after, I saw the price cuts from 50>40>30> and now 20!

I dont remember reading any articles regarding the "good" sales from this game either.

I think it did alright. The game didn't have a huge budget to begin with.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The problem the game suffered from is that after the metal fans got their copies, there was no positive word of mouth to help build momentum because A: the hack n' slash element is underused, and that's a popular genre today, and B: the game is just too short and lacking in meat to generate real excitement past the well-done and genuinely funny story.

It's a game you adore for the style but forget about in 2 days because it's over. Being a $60 game doesn't help either. I hate to say it but there's just not enough there to justify the purchase at that price.

When I found out that DoubleFine had basically made the multiplayer RTS engine and gameplay first, I figured that's where the game went off the rails. There was never a plan in place to make a meaty and varied single player campaign and fill up that big open world.

In spite of it all, it's still a better game-as-a-videogame than Psychonauts. And it's a good game, and a niche classic for its story, characters, and raw style. It's just tragic that it didn't go far enough.

Had there been a 3rd act to the story about the same length as the first two major sections, it would have been just deep enough.

Wait, what about this post from 2 pages ago:

The latest issue of Game Developer Magazine has a postmortem on Brutal Legend. Haven't read through it yet, but i can tell you that it took 74 in-house developers $24 million and 4.5 years to make it. Some major issues they had was selecting the right middleware for the game and getting it all to fit on a DVD (they say that around January 2009 the game was already larger than 9GB).

Though theres no breakdown of how much went into what, so marketing could've been part of that budget.

Shurs

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Wait, what about this post from 2 pages ago:

Though theres no breakdown of how much went into what, so marketing could've been part of that budget.

Yeah, I was coming back in to post this article:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/05/business/fi-ct-lawsuit5

But Activision, in its lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court in Santa Monica, alleges that the deal with Electronic Arts took it by surprise. The complaint states that Activision and Double Fine had been in negotiations over Brutal Legend since the developer said in February 2008 that it would need an additional $7.6 million on top of the original $15.4-million production budget to complete the game.

I love it when posters just make shit up. 7 million dollar budget, :lol

Draft

fu3lfr3nzy said:

Did about as well as you'd expect a Tim Schafer game to do.

wRATH2x

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
I think it did alright. The game didn't have a huge budget to begin with.
Ozzy Osbourne(I wouldn't put anything past Sharon), Lemmy, Rob Halford, Lita Ford, Jack Black, etc.

Archaix said:
I think you're underestimating how many people play this game with zero RTS experience. That's the camp I'm in. The RTS parts weren't entirely hard, but they were difficult enough along with being uninteresting to me that I didn't bother continuing after about the third one. I dropped the game during that battle and haven't picked it up since.
I had only played 1 RTS for an hour or so a few years ago. So I had pretty much zero experience and I finished the game. But if you really don't like it, that is another matter.

Fox Mulder

Shurs said:
After buying Brutal Legend during its release week, I feel that the game does not deserve anything other than middling sales.

pretty much.

fuck the console RTS shit, and while the story and atmosphere was great, there wasn't enough of it. What I did enjoy from it was further tainted by having to do RTS battles, so the criticism circle is back at the beginning.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Kaijima said:
It's a game you adore for the style but forget about in 2 days because it's over.

'You', maybe. It's still far and away one of the most memorable games I've played this generation.

Although to be fair, it's not hard to be one of the most memorable games of this generation.

Vyer

Shurs said:
After buying Brutal Legend during its release week, I feel that the game does not deserve anything other than middling sales.
He didn't say the game.

He said schafer.

Vyer

Shurs said:
He should have made a better game.
He has.

To clarify: like/dislike of RTS aside, Im just agreeing that with his resume it'd be nice to see him have good numbers sometime. Not that that game should or should not have been BL.

Shurs said:
I love it when posters just make shit up. 7 million dollar budget, :lol

I said if I remember right, so maybe that article is where I remembered the 7 million number, or maybe 7 million was the marketing budget, then there's the fact that I could give a shit less about it to begin with.

Started this a few days ago, and although I am enjoying it, the RTS stuff is starting to become a real bitch. I can't seem to get my army to attack the enemy's base. Even though I had control of all the fan geysers, I ended up losing the battle because no matter how many times I ordered my troops to attack Lionwhyte's base, they just wouldn't comply. Or at least it seemed that way. I don't think the tutorial for the RTS segment of the game is very good...especially for people like me who have never played any RTS before. Nevertheless, I will try some more today, as I do like the game. I am playing on brutal diffculty, so if worse comes to worse I might have to suck it up and lower it a notch.

ArachosiA 78 said:
Started this a few days ago, and although I am enjoying it, the RTS stuff is starting to become a real bitch. I can't seem to get my army to attack the enemy's base. Even though I had control of all the fan geysers, I ended up losing the battle because no matter how many times I ordered my troops to attack Lionwhyte's base, they just wouldn't comply. Or at least it seemed that way. I don't think the tutorial for the RTS segment of the game is very good...especially for people like me who have never played any RTS before. Nevertheless, I will try some more today, as I do like the game. I am playing on brutal diffculty, so if worse comes to worse I might have to suck it up and lower it a notch.
You are playing on 'Brutal' difficulty and you come in to complain that the game is difficult?

Well . . . you might even say it is brutally difficult. What a surprise!

wRATH2x

Banned
I'll do that for him to give us a sequel with a much longer single player campaign, more focus on action and adventure, and a hell of a lot more variety.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Heck, he's best when he's doing adventure. I'm not saying go back to point'n'click, I'm just saying he should go for something simple in terms of gameplay, where the designs can shine and his ideas will be the thing that makes the gameplay good. Something like Zelda. The action in that is pretty shallow, extremely simplistic, but yet so incredibly fun because of the variety of the dungeons and the feel of being on this epic adventure.

Brutal Legend should've been more of a Zelda game, and less of an action game.

...But has the issue with the muffled/low sampled sound mix been resolved in the PS3 version? (it was in the original demo)
A few posts back someone said it actually got reintroduced in a recent patch!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe the two other factions were wasted, in hindsight.

There's so much awesome content in this game most people will never see because they never played the multiplayer with friends.

Rez said:
I can't believe the two other factions were wasted, in hindsight.

There's so much awesome content in this game most people will never see because they never played the multiplayer with friends.

I'd like to play MP if there still is a community for it...

Top Bottom