• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

StarEye said:
Brutal Legend should've been more of a Zelda game, and less of an action game.

Brutal Legend should've been more of an action/platformer, and less of an RTS.

As much as I loved the characters, setting, and dialogue, the RTS heavy battles really killed any replay value. I just didn't want to experience them again. I absolutely LOVED carrying the rally flag into battle like a Samurai warlord, but I didn't like managing resources. The game should have just let you amass your army through the course of the game, and had the battles be more Rainbow Six in execution where you worry more about placement than gathering fans and upgrading units. A simple "Go Here" command, and the ability to do double teams would have been MORE than enough when combined with The Deuce, and the guitar solos. Adding the fans mechanic, having to worry about fan geysers, and needing to upgrade made the battles feel more like babysitting and work than fun.

A Brutal Legend sequel should drop the RTS elements, add a jump button, and make the battles about massive hack and slash style wars. Give the player his army, give the player his goal, give the player his opposition, and put the soldiers on an automatic respawn timer when they die with a "reinforcement" limit. Leave the guitar solos, and have all the soldiers types play their roles without dying so easily when there isn't player interaction. The end product should look more like a Lord of The Rings battle than what we got.

Seeing your "posses" roam the land as the game went on was so badass. THAT'S what the battles should've felt like. Pick up the rally flag and storm across the environment using double teams, combos, and guitar solos without constantly popping in and out of menus, and flying all over the place to babysit your army.

AgentOtaku said:
I'd like to play MP if there still is a community for it...
There wasn't when I went for the full gamerscore, I multiple times saw the same persons when playing. I had a blast playing the multiplayer though, but for a game that was made for the multiplayer it lacked many options. Like no 2v2 3v3 or 4v4 matchmaking that you can pick, but it only does that when you have that many people in your party. Played a few 2v2 matches though, was very fun when you are having a 2v2 hack and slash battle.

Leonsito

I just reached a point where the game is not fun anymore, the fucking battle against fucking zombie emos, I reach the part where the fire barons appear, but then the enemy fucking destroys me, this is ridiculous... FUCK.

what a great game except the RTS parts that were just plain tedious. i will still recommend the game because of its awesome characters and themes :D

Leonsito said:
I just reached a point where the game is not fun anymore, the fucking battle against fucking zombie emos, I reach the part where the fire barons appear, but then the enemy fucking destroys me, this is ridiculous... FUCK.

What difficulty are you playing? I can't remember having much trouble with that battle after the fire barons arrived. Anyway, make sure that you've got Bouncers to take out their vehicles and getting among the gravediggers and brides and using the facemelter solo is very effective but make sure you've got other units with you that can distract them while you play the solo. Also, I think this is the first battle where you an upgrade your units so make sure you upgrade the headbangers, razor girls and thunderhogs once you upgrade your stage.

Noisepurge said:
what a great game except the RTS parts that were just plain tedious. i will still recommend the game because of its awesome characters and themes :D
I liked the game but the RTS fights were definitely not my favorite part.

I'd love to see a sequel without them (or they can be just a very minor part of the game).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Leonsito said:
Yeah the introduction of Blackwater Company or Chocolate Rain or whatever the fuck they were called was pretty much the point where my enjoyment started dropping too. The end was still worth it but it could and should have been much better.

Leonsito

electroshockwave said:
What difficulty are you playing? I can't remember having much trouble with that battle after the fire barons arrived. Anyway, make sure that you've got Bouncers to take out their vehicles and getting among the gravediggers and brides and using the facemelter solo is very effective but make sure you've got other units with you that can distract them while you play the solo. Also, I think this is the first battle where you an upgrade your units so make sure you upgrade the headbangers, razor girls and thunderhogs once you upgrade your stage.

Just won the battle !

I'm playing on Brutal, my problem was that I kept trying to defend the farthest soulpit, instead now I focused on defending the two soulpits and kept all my army here, a few meltfacing solos for the brides and axe for the rest, I had way more units when the barons arrived and it was easy.

Thank you for the advices ;D

speculawyer said:
I liked the game but the RTS fights were definitely not my favorite part.

I'd love to see a sequel without them (or they can be just a very minor part of the game).

Even though I liked that the RTS parts fit within the story and making the jokes/themes of the game part of the gameplay, that could have been done by making a Zelda-esque game but replacing the typical Zelda items with metal-themed items. Overall, the game was pretty bad as an RTS and the game never really explains itself well.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Leonsito said:
You're going to enjoy "Dry Ice, Wet Graves" a lot less than the Fire Baron battle. I might have had to restart the FB battle twice, but I couldn't get past "Dry Ice, Wet Graves" until I actually learned how to use the RTS elements to my advantage. Up until that point, everything was a cakewalk due to how much scripting was involved; learn the script, finish the mission. DIWG was all about using the map strategically, taking and holding resources, and harassing the enemy, just like a normal RTS. Oddly, once I finished that mission I started enjoying the RTS stuff a lot more overall.

Bebpo

Banned
You guys were right.

I tried to tell myself the hate on this game couldn't be right. This is Tim, the man, Schafer along with the fine folks at Double Fine who made the stylish and funny Psychonauts (which also played alright for a platformer). I told myself people were simply overreacting because it's an RTS.

But I just passed the liar of the spider queen, have done a handful of side missions, spent some time exploring around the world and this game kind of sucks ;_;

Things I've experienced so far that are poor game design issues:

-No jump button. For an openworld game with obstacles everywhere this is kind of silly because you can get stuck behind an object and without a way to just JUMP over it you simply stuck. Luckily the couple of times I've gotten stuck behind an object or sunk into a hill my car has been nearby and I could just warp back onto it.

-AMBUSH mission. Start missions -> 3 guys walk up -> punch punch -> BRUTAL VICTORY. This is a side-mission? It's like game design from 1981.

-No map directions while driving towards your waypoint besides big light at the end. What this means is I have to keep hitting select and checking the map every 5 seconds to see where I'm going. Why not just use the waypoint directions you get when doing a race side mission when setting down a waypoint? Or better yet include a mini-map in the corner with NSWE like every other sandbox game out there.

-No quick travel. When I was heading out from the beach after delivering the kegs I had to drive across the whole island to get to the next mission. About halfway I hit a rock and flew off a cliff and it started me all the way back at the beach. Why can't I use the underground metal lair things to warp from one to another? They're all going to the same underground area, I should be able to leave out any one I've unlocked.

On top of design flaws, the game on PS3 is a technical mess. The framerate stutters a lot making the game difficult to enjoy and the sound is totally screwed up because of the apparent 1.02 patch that re-introduced the 1.00 sound issues. So it sounds bad and it runs bad. Oh and there's screen tearing too.

and apparently I haven't even gotten to the frustrating rts parts yet! :(

I'm enjoying this purely for my respect of double fine/schafer and their past work. I like the art and the writing is...ok, the music is a pretty good selection too. But the game just isn't fun. It's not so bad that is unplayable (although sometimes....), but after I finish a session I don't really know why I am still playing it. At this point since I'm like 20% completion I think I am just going to keep playing because it's short and I like to see things through to the end. But I can't believe this game took so many years to make. It just seems like a colossal disaster of something that was good on paper and good in terms of staff involved, but did not come together in execution.

I kind of wish Double Fine just goes and does a total low budget nice little indie game after this. I mean in 2-3 hours of playing Brutal Legend, I am positive that I had more fun with Schafer's little pre-award show adventure game than this million dollar production here.

Sorry your not enjoying it.

I borrowed a friend's 360 copy and got up to right after the spider. I dug everything for the most part though It definitely has some issues. Basically the universe is awesome but actual gameplay being undercooked and whatnot...
My thing is that I want to give it back as I have this thing were I can't really get into games I don't own. I want to buy the PS3 version (controller preference at this point) but yeah, the sound is STILL fucked up. Checked out Doublefine's forums and looks like it being addressed isn't happening anytime soon either =(

Aaron

Bebpo said:
and apparently I haven't even gotten to the frustrating rts parts yet! :(
Seriously, stop playing now. The game just gets worse in every aspect from now on. If you must try the RTS portion, do it through the multi vs ai option. At least you won't see where the story takes a detour to Shitsville.

Proven

To be fair, whenever you set an indicator the tail lights on your car will light up for you to go left or right if you go off trail. Plus there's the giant glowing waypoint light in the distance. Because of lots of open road, plus the many landmarks, you soon start to memorize where everything is from just a couple of glances around, and even more so in the later sections of the game.

AgentOtaku said:
Sorry your not enjoying it.

I borrowed a friend's 360 copy and got up to right after the spider. I dug everything for the most part though It definitely has some issues. Basically the universe is awesome but actual gameplay being undercooked and whatnot...
My thing is that I want to give it back as I have this thing were I can't really get into games I don't own. I want to buy the PS3 version (controller preference at this point) but yeah, the sound is STILL fucked up. Checked out Doublefine's forums and looks like it being addressed isn't happening anytime soon either =(
That's an excellent way to think about the game, Awesome Universe, Awesome Writing, Undercooked Gameplay.

Bebpo

Banned
So I spent about 2-3 hours today driving around the first part of the world finding everything and doing all the side missions and then did the first rts battle. A little over 40% now.

I still don't know what to think. Everything is sort of fun, but nothing is great fun. The combat is pretty shallow and the rts fight was interesting but I felt like the units weren't doing what I was saying (ie, I tell them to go attack a new group that appears and I never see them show up. I walk around with the flag and they don't seem to come to me).

The world is neat. I love all these cool looking monuments everywhere and hidden stuff buried but there just doesn't seem much to do in it. The side missions are all super isolated around a non-descriptive spot and take 1-3 mins. The race ones are kind of fun but you just follow the beacon and keep hitting nitro. The wildlife running around is neat and the hunting missions are kind of enjoyable since they are just in the background while you do other stuff.

One thing that really bugs me is how none of the stuff you find shows up on your map after you find it. Since there put like hundreds of things in this fairly small sized world there's really no way of telling what you've found and what you haven't besides just driving around hoping to see stuff you missed.

Also the game needs to let you set where you want to respawn. Since I did most of my exploring after the spider queen mission, everytime I fell off a cliff or got killed by an enemy I had to start on the top of the damn mountain and go down that windy path over and over again.

I actually really like the idea of a 3rd person rts and the way the game is building it around metal rock. I'm very interested in seeing how the rts elements develop and I can see how online multiplayer might be fun after clearing the story. It's just the world itself while cool looking is kind of hmmmmmm.

Torn on the game currently. Sorta enjoying it, sorta not.

PS. As a bit of a graphics whore the framerate makes me rage at times. Sometimes it is so choppy while walking/driving around the world that it's practically unplayable from my standards. Then it clears up and is smooth. It just seems really random based on the weather, the time of day, what objects are in view, etc... and that all heavily affects the swaying framerate. I really wish they could have toned down whatever visual options and hit 30fps locked.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm kind of surprised, but this game has really grown on me. At some point it "clicked" and it was a lot of fun just driving around the world listening to great music while taking jumps and freeing serpents. Even the simple side-missions are fun because once you have a good set of options it's nice to have something to use them on to experience how powerful you are. The world is very neat and each time I see more of it I really enjoy the new expansion of it. The RTS stuff is very fun (especially once I got
flying so I could move quickly and order easily
). The characters and humor of the npcs are definitely growing on me as well. At this point I think I am enjoying it almost as much as Psychonauts. I think I can see what EA saw this.

Just got to the pleasure dome and about to do the rts battle there.

Is there anyway to see your gametime? I heard it was a short 6-8 hour game, but I feel like I've spent at least 8+ hours already. Then again it's easy to have time disappear while playing a sandbox game.

Ravidrath

Bebpo said:
Is there anyway to see your gametime? I heard it was a short 6-8 hour game, but I feel like I've spent at least 8+ hours already. Then again it's easy to have time disappear while playing a sandbox game.

From the main menu, if you look at the Chapter Selection, it'll show your play time on there. I think with your play time when you got to that Chapter?

I'd be surprised if you were at 8 hours... I want to say the game took me about 13 hours total, and that was doing EVERYTHING.

I still mean to go back some time and find the one Vista I'm missing, which will get me the Vista trophy and the 100% one.

I believe there is more DLC coming... I'll probably do the rest of that clean-up then.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I got Brutal Legend like a month ago but after the first real RTS style battle I lost interest. It's been gathering dust on my gameshelf ever since.
The world and the soundtrack are really cool though, I really should pop it back in and at least finish it.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm, I'm at the forest/jungle and couple of questions:

1. There was a legend covered in snow back in the snow area. I tried shooting it with fire from my car, fire from my guitar, earthquake attack, etc... and nothing did anything. How do I unlock this legend so I can watch it?

2. I'm hunting something raptors. The glowing ice elk. It seems the only place they appear is in the swamp area? I've seen like ...two and killed them. But I need 15 to move on to the next animal >_<

3. I can't figure out how to get the buried metal #18 on this map:
http://achievementhunter.com/games/guides/brutallegend/jungle.php
It seems like it's between one side of the swamp and the other. I'm guessing later in the story missions a pathway appears?

4. Ok, so I keep buying these rockfaces. I have like 8 of them or something at this point. It says climb to the top of Mt. ~~~~ to change them. I've seen the mountain with the 4 faces in the first area of the game but I didn't see anyway to get to the top of it?

5. The game has 108 song soundtrack right? I've found most of the buried metal in the game and I still keep hearing the same songs over and over again. Definitely does not feel like it's randomly selecting from a 100 different tracks. Feels more like 30. Did I miss another way to unlock music?

Thanks

Snuggler said:
Yeah I got Brutal Legend like a month ago but after the first real RTS style battle I lost interest. It's been gathering dust on my gameshelf ever since.
The world and the soundtrack are really cool though, I really should pop it back in and at least finish it.

thanks. every time this thread gets bumped it makes me mad about the $20 I wasted on this garbage.

CassSept

Bebpo said:
Hmmm, I'm at the forest/jungle and couple of questions:

1. There was a legend covered in snow back in the snow area. I tried shooting it with fire from my car, fire from my guitar, earthquake attack, etc... and nothing did anything. How do I unlock this legend so I can watch it?
You have to return to it later. It's, errr, unlocked to be unlocked after you meet Amazons-like tribe

2. I'm hunting something raptors. The glowing ice elk. It seems the only place they appear is in the swamp area? I've seen like ...two and killed them. But I need 15 to move on to the next animal >_<
Don't elks appear all over the first area?

3. I can't figure out how to get the buried metal #18 on this map:
http://achievementhunter.com/games/guides/brutallegend/jungle.php
It seems like it's between one side of the swamp and the other. I'm guessing later in the story missions a pathway appears?
Doesn't the video help?

4. Ok, so I keep buying these rockfaces. I have like 8 of them or something at this point. It says climb to the top of Mt. ~~~~ to change them. I've seen the mountain with the 4 faces in the first area of the game but I didn't see anyway to get to the top of it?
It's not really well explained, but if you go south from Bladehenge (or south-east, I don't remember exactly) you will see monuments of hands making horns. Find the one that is tallest and has stairway on it and climb it.

5. The game has 108 song soundtrack right? I've found most of the buried metal in the game and I still keep hearing the same songs over and over again. Definitely does not feel like it's randomly selecting from a 100 different tracks. Feels more like 30. Did I miss another way to unlock music?
Many of the songs are unlocked as you progress through the game. If you want to see which songs you have just push up on the d-pad.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm enjoying the RTS half of the game far more than the action half. The standard combat is extremely shallow and clumsy and there isn't much in terms of level design. The RTS portions otoh feel creative and fresh. You can tell the majority of the design effort was put into making the RTS system.

Then again I hate real PC RTS games. So I like these toned down rts hybrids like FFXII Revenant Wings & Brutal Legend because they give the same enjoyment as an rts without all the overly complicated stuff that makes an RTS feel like work (imo).

Bebpo said:
I'm enjoying the RTS half of the game far more than the action half. The standard combat is extremely shallow and clumsy and there isn't much in terms of level design. The RTS portions otoh feel creative and fresh. You can tell the majority of the design effort was put into making the RTS system.

Then again I hate real PC RTS games. So I like these toned down rts hybrids like FFXII Revenant Wings & Brutal Legend because they give the same enjoyment as an rts without all the overly complicated stuff that makes an RTS feel like work (imo).

Awesome to hear your enjoying it man. How's the sound situation been? Are you able to just tolerate it?
Still blows my mind that a fix hasn't been announced for it. Then again, the PS3 version sold like shit...

Bebpo

Banned
the sound effects are still awful but I've sort of tuned them out. Music & voices are fine and they're what's most important.

Bebpo

Banned
So I finished this up today and I sort of enjoyed it in the end I don't know if I'd call it a "good" game.

The RTS system was fun, but it seemed pretty broken because of the solos. The first time I did the one real RTS battle in the game and was controlling the middle fan vents, building up an army, maxing my stage level, etc...I lost. The next time when I just ran up to the other stage with a bunch of starting units and cast "you can't summon units" I killed them since they couldn't do anything and I just kept rallying more and more units to my flag point at the enemy stage.

One the biggest issues I had with the RTS bit was it was too chaotic. Between all the units, all the solos, double team attacks, car driving, flags, zepplins, giving orders. It was just too much. I think if the camera was pulled back to a normal PC style rts it would be an interesting rts game with neat units and hero spells. But the way it is, especially in these small arenas was just too much to handle. Those tips at the loading screen about what each unit does on all sides seem like a waste because in the chaos of the battles it was basically LOT O' BADDIES suddenly running up to you and you counter with LOT O' GOODIES and solos and that was that.

The combat system was not very fun imo. You had very few moves and the lock-on/rolling was awful. It just didn't feel fluid at all. The final fight was not much fun because of this. I'm glad you really didn't have to fight much in the game. It almost feels thrown in, since the focus was on the RTS game.

Driving was a lot of fun. The races were neat, taking jumps everywhere was great. Installing weapons and blowing stuff up...thumbs up :)

The world was definitely a cool one, though the end portion feels underused. I felt like you spend so much time in the first half of the world with missions all over and the second half is either just a linear path (ice area/jungle) or a big setpiece with only a mission or two (the final area).

Loved the music. Overall a good selection and especially when songs were used for specific game parts/scenes they fit very well.

The hunter quests were lame. At first I liked them because of their usefulness in summons and being able to accomplish them while doing other stuff. But at some point they just require too many and it drags. I finished the game in about 10-11 hours at 90%+ completion with everything done besides a lot of bound serpents/jumps and I was still not anywhere close to the finishing the hunting quest. I thought by the time I reached the end of the game I would've finished it by just normally killing stuff while driving around doing other things. It was the reaper steeds that required 15 where I got really behind. I think I did everything in the entire black tears area by the time I killed the 15th.

Story was eh, ok. The worldview created from driving around and watching the Legends was great. They really crafted a cool history of a fantasy land based around metal. The characters were ok, not bad, but not particularly great. I thought the bus driver ended up being the best character, or at least had the best facial expressions. The plot was not bad in itself, the problem was that it was super generic, simple and short. It didn't feel like a Tim Schafer plot. The worldview did, but the current story taking place felt like it could've been done by any videogame writer these days. The more I think about it, the more I think the "Legend" bits were the best part of the game. The art murals for each one were really, reaaaaally good and the writing/narration along with them was fantastic and created a cool story.

Graphics were good art, good looking character models, time of day lighting and weather was very nice. but ARGH the framerate. One of the choppiest games I've played in a while. I wish they had done a PC version so you could play it at 60fps. Plus there might've been room for some cool mods.

Every part of the game felt fun to some degree, yet every part of the game felt flawed to some degree as well. It was worth playing through and I'd hesitantly recommend it to others, but it felt like one of those 7/10 "good" games that you put up or tune out a lot in order to lose yourself in the fun stuff.

Also I thought it was really bad taste to put the goofy fun stuff like costumes, Rasputin mountain heads, and new weapons for your car in $$$ DLC. Ok, maybe extra car weapons is ok for that, but goofy fun bonus stuff should be unlockables, not require $5 to wear a funny costume. The whole point of that stuff is just bonus fun.

oh and I tried a multiplayer game against the AI (because there weren't any people online playing the PS3 version in ranked matches at the time). I tried playing as one of the other factions and it seemed like the arenas were a lot bigger size than the SP rts battles. Was kind of confused by all the different spells and unit types that were totally different than Ironheade. Dunno if I'll be playing anymore MP. Seems like it'd take a good amount of dedication to learn how to play the other factions and since no one is playing anymore....yeah.

Aaron

There's something very simple and should have been obvious whose lack kills any higher level RTS gameplay. A functioning map. There should have been a map where you could order individual units to take advantage of their strengths and weaknesses, but instead you just build a ball you can awkwardly command and rely on solos. I can't believe they worked on this game for so long ignoring something every other RTS has, even ones that are similar to it in form, like the Kingdom Under Fire series and Guilty Gear II.

Proven

Aaron said:
There's something very simple and should have been obvious whose lack kills any higher level RTS gameplay. A functioning map. There should have been a map where you could order individual units to take advantage of their strengths and weaknesses, but instead you just build a ball you can awkwardly command and rely on solos. I can't believe they worked on this game for so long ignoring something every other RTS has, even ones that are similar to it in form, like the Kingdom Under Fire series and Guilty Gear II.

Because they based it on a different style of RTS, from a game that predates many. And trust me, doing stuff off a map and screen is awkward with control sticks.

Bebpo

Banned
Aaron said:

Yeah. I had a few times where I saw 3-4 guys attacking my highlighted target and I bring up the load screen and it's 40/40 max load and I go "uh, where are my guys" which then becomes a 30 second run around the map looking for my party. ^^;
I think a map could've helped that stuff. Or some sort of indicator of where your units are at all times.
Also would have been nice to set an "A" group on one button and "B" group on another while giving orders so you could split up your team between two points or have one defend and one attack.

I honestly just wish they had done a PC sku. With a few mods to add mini-map + overhead view + mouse controls it could've been a completely different experience.

Aaron

Proven said:
Because they based it on a different style of RTS, from a game that predates many. And trust me, doing stuff off a map and screen is awkward with control sticks.
No, you trust me. Guilty Gear II does this very thing, and it works very well once you get used to it. The game is actually very similar to Brutal Legend's form of RTS, only it manages to involve actual strategy. Really, I wish I could go back in time, and hand Tim Schafer a copy of the game when it was released. It has a number of elements that could have made Brutal Legend actually viable for competitive multiplayer.

beat

Bebpo said:
Yeah. I had a few times where I saw 3-4 guys attacking my highlighted target and I bring up the load screen and it's 40/40 max load and I go "uh, where are my guys" which then becomes a 30 second run around the map looking for my party. ^^;
Isn't that what the "everyone converge on me" command is for? Or the "summon rally flag" command? Sorry, it's been months since I played the game.

Bebpo

Banned
beat said:
Isn't that what the "everyone converge on me" command is for? Or the "summon rally flag" command? Sorry, it's been months since I played the game.

-everyone converge on me only works if the allies are in range to hear your voice. So if you lost your party and they aren't in view it doesn't work.

-the rally flag thing only seemed to affect new units just getting off the stage for me. So if you're mid-battle with a full loadout of allies, the flag never seemed to do anything. I was holding it in every battle and I still lost my guys a handful of times.

Proven

Bebpo said:
-everyone converge on me only works if the allies are in range to hear your voice. So if you lost your party and they aren't in view it doesn't work.

-the rally flag thing only seemed to affect new units just getting off the stage for me. So if you're mid-battle with a full loadout of allies, the flag never seemed to do anything. I was holding it in every battle and I still lost my guys a handful of times.
-There's a solo that calls all forces on the field to your position.

-Yes, the rally flag only works for new produced units, which is nice, because you can either carry it with you always or do temporary splits where your current group goes with you to one place while you queue up units to arrive at some unprotected place.

Acid08

Banned
After an extended break from video games, I finally was able to start playing this game. I'm in love with it so far, repetitive sidequests and all.

Acid08 said:
After an extended break from video games, I finally was able to start playing this game. I'm in love with it so far, repetitive sidequests and all.

I loved it at first too. Have fun, and hopefully you'll enjoy it all the way through.

conman

Wow, after so much expressed disappointment when this was released last year, I passed on it entirely. Finally got around to renting it via Gamefly earlier this week. Have to say, really, really enjoying it. Love the world. Love the story. Love the characters. Even enjoying the combat.

Admittedly, though, I've totally avoided all the side missions, upgrade grinding, etc. I'm just going straight through the main story missions. I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end (entering the Tears area), and so far it's been a great run.

Maybe all the negative hype set my expectations pretty low. Not sure. Regardless, big pleasant surprise. Perfect rental.

conman said:
Wow, after so much expressed disappointment when this was released last year, I passed on it entirely. Finally got around to renting it via Gamefly earlier this week. Have to say, really, really enjoying it. Love the world. Love the story. Love the characters. Even enjoying the combat.

Admittedly, though, I've totally avoided all the side missions, upgrade grinding, etc. I'm just going straight through the main story missions. I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end (entering the Tears area), and so far it's been a great run.

Maybe all the negative hype set my expectations pretty low. Not sure. Regardless, big pleasant surprise. Perfect rental.
Most people didn't like the rts part, if you do like it however, like me. You are in for a great experience.

I just saw Tenacious D - Pick of Destiny yesterday, and thought about this game. I still want to give it a try for the humor, but I doubt I will like the gameplay. It looks like a game that requires a will to collect stuff, and explore the world. I am not sure I have patience for that. I've sorta outgrown the collecting mantra of platform and adventure games, gah.

Jintor

Brutal Legend didn't deliver, but it was a hell of a ride while it lasted.

Missing an entire third act was kind of a pain in the ass though, storywise.

I would have much, much, much prefered it if they had stuck to the action-adventure mould though. I know it wouldn't have been sufficiently genre-busting enough for Schafer's tastes but Psychonauts was your bog-standard platformer ascended by wit, art-style and generally awesomeness.

theRizzle

Vigilant Walrus said:
I just saw Tenacious D - Pick of Destiny yesterday, and thought about this game. I still want to give it a try for the humor, but I doubt I will like the gameplay. It looks like a game that requires a will to collect stuff, and explore the world. I am not sure I have patience for that. I've sorta outgrown the collecting mantra of platform and adventure games, gah.

It's actually a pretty short game, if you just do story missions and don't bother with any of the side quests or collection stuff.

I'm playing it through for the first time right now, and I can tell you that if you are playing on Normal, you probably wouldn't have to collect anything. I'm playing on Brutal difficulty, and I found I had to go looking for the 120 Bound Serpents because every 10 you get gives you a slight boost to an attribute, and I was having a hell of a time with a certain fight. Once I got most of the serpents, I beat it my second try.

I actually don't mind the RTS stuff. I love the idea of controlling a hero character and being able to drop down into the fight to help your troops, then go back up to an overhead view to start giving orders again.

theRizzle said:
It's actually a pretty short game, if you just do story missions and don't bother with any of the side quests or collection stuff.

I'm playing it through for the first time right now, and I can tell you that if you are playing on Normal, you probably wouldn't have to collect anything. I'm playing on Brutal difficulty, and I found I had to go looking for the 120 Bound Serpents because every 10 you get gives you a slight boost to an attribute, and I was having a hell of a time with a certain fight. Once I got most of the serpents, I beat it my second try.

I actually don't mind the RTS stuff. I love the idea of controlling a hero character and being able to drop down into the fight to help your troops, then go back up to an overhead view to start giving orders again.

Yeah me too, even played the multiplayer for a while and was quite decent at it. Have 1000 gamerscore in the game.

conman

theRizzle said:

Yeah, I've just been doing the story missions playing on Normal difficulty, and done no collecting or upgrading at all (other than what's required to progress the story). I've played for maybe 4 or 5 hours and I think I've only got a couple of missions left. Short and sweet.

I'm wondering if this is the ideal way to play it? Doesn't wear out its welcome and the pacing of the story and the humor stay fresh.

The real killer for me, and the thing that would wear on me if I played it for much longer, is the terrible tech behind this game. Awful framerate, screen-tearing, and ugly texture work/resolution. But at six hours for a story-focused playthrough, it seems incredibly witty, clever, and inventive enough to make up for those shortcomings. Any longer than that, and I might start to get annoyed by the technical issues.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
I dunno, I played for nearly 40 hours and didn't really notice any problems on the 360 version except when I as tooling around the world in The Deuce. It hitched a little, but no tearing and no bottoming out of the framerate.

The game world was what entranced me more than anything. I can take or leave the RTS stuff, and have no desire to play the RTS online against zergrushers, but BL was one of the first games in a long while where I just wanted to drive around and soak in the view.

conman

shrinkingviolet said:
I dunno, I played for nearly 40 hours and didn't really notice any problems on the 360 version except when I as tooling around the world in The Deuce. It hitched a little, but no tearing and no bottoming out of the framerate.

The game world was what entranced me more than anything. I can take or leave the RTS stuff, and have no desire to play the RTS online against zergrushers, but BL was one of the first games in a long while where I just wanted to drive around and soak in the view.
Hmm. Must be because I'm playing the PS3 version. I don't remember hearing that there was such a big difference between the two versions, but maybe I should try the 360 version instead.

Like you, I'm totally hooked by the world. And I'm constantly amazed at how creative the ideas are. It's the constant framerate drops, tearing, and ugly textures that ruin an otherwise brilliant game for me. So if those are console-specific issues, I should definitely try the other version.

Top Bottom