• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Ellis (former member of Easy Allies and gametrailers) officially joins Last Stand Media

proandrad

It literally wasn't a big deal, though. Greg and the bros at Kinda Funny were just looking for something to push Colin out. He wasn't happy with the way things were going there, anyway. He would have left eventually for some other reason. I used to like Greg at IGN, but he just sucks now.

I haven’t been able to stomach any of Kinda Funny content since that all went down. The whole calling their audience best friends comes across as fake after they dropped Colin. Greg has been part of saying such vile shit in the pass just joking around, no one who was a long time fan actually believes any of those people at kinda funny believed that joke was a big deal. If anything, it seemed like a chance to get rid of Colin to take the company in a different direction. It also doesn’t help they went full corporate sellout after Colin left.

MonkD

I haven’t been able to stomach any of Kinda Funny content since that all went down. The whole calling their audience best friends comes across as fake after they dropped Colin. Greg has been part of saying such vile shit in the pass just joking around, no one who was a long time fan actually believes any of those people at kinda funny believed that joke was a big deal. If anything, it seemed like a chance to get rid of Colin to take the company in a different direction. It also doesn’t help they went full corporate sellout after Colin left.
I enjoyed how they refused to cover the Insomniac leak(because they are really nice guys), but covered every other leak that they could get their hands on. Greg has always been scum, and he is terrible at hiding it.

Depends on the university, the coursework, and the drive of the individual. I have met people with PhDs who are dumber than a box of rocks. Having a degree itself means nothing. It is what you do with said degree that indicates any level of intelligence.
One of my responsibilities is evaluating Software Engineers for mid and senior level positions. I've had folks with places like Google, Apple, MS, & Facebook on their resume, with Masters from prestigious schools, not only bomb the tests we've given them, tests that are honestly simple and tailored more towards Jr. level, but had such a candidate cry mid-interview and rescinded their application right then & there.

I've also seen some folks with similar backgrounds get hired at various tech teams i've been on and do absolutely fuck all, ultimately getting laid off. On the flip side, I have notably gone on to hire 3 incredible engineers who, during the exam, hit a wall, and point-blank asked me if they could Google the solution. I said 'Yes, absolutely' every time, and they are some of the strongest engineers i've ever seen enter STEM. One of these people only had a High School diploma to their name, btw.

I myself have made it incredibly far in software engineering and game development and only have an Associates. Very easy now to see - college degrees and on-paper job experience don't mean shit.

Roufianos

I enjoyed how they refused to cover the Insomniac leak(because they are really nice guys), but covered every other leak that they could get their hands on. Greg has always been scum, and he is terrible at hiding it.
Him and Tim are the biggest pieces of shit in the industry. So glad their channel has completely stalled without Colin.

Anyway, for all the ResetEra losers hoping this endeavour will fail:

AmuroChan

Not all PhDs are equal. Some require rigor, others require you to show up and kiss someone’s ass while repeating exactly what they say.

Just because you have a PhD doesn’t mean much. What you have done since getting the PhD, the papers you published from continued research, the foundations made, etc - those are indicative of whether someone is intelligent. It is like comparing Andrew Wakefield or Claudine Grey to Albert Einstein or Lavoisier.

Exactly. Also, when you look at what our higher education institutions have become these days, the correlation between intelligence and education level is becoming less and less relevant.

$65,000 a month. $780,000 a year.

3bf4bc14-824a-4373-bb97-bd514f4078a2_text.gif

$780,000 seems like a lot until you figure that income has to be split between Colin, Chris, Dustin, MrMattyPlays, Lord Cognito, and now Brad. That's six people, not including all the costs being incurred to keep the shows running.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
WTF has been going on in the last couple of pages?

I feel my IQ lowering just reading it. I can't seem to find the context for it.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not all PhDs are equal. Some require rigor, others require you to show up and kiss someone’s ass while repeating exactly what they say.

Just because you have a PhD doesn’t mean much. What you have done since getting the PhD, the papers you published from continued research, the foundations made, etc - those are indicative of whether someone is intelligent. It is like comparing Andrew Wakefield or Claudine Grey to Albert Einstein or Lavoisier.

I agree with everything you said, but I don't think it addresses my main point.

The conversation branched this way because I said "PlayStation has teams of MBAs looking at Bungie in depth..." at which point TexMex said I invalidated my argument. Then the MBA point shifted to PhDs.

I had friends on my high school basketball team who told me I could play because one or two of the players was awful at basketball. Still, on average my high school basketball team was better at basketball than the rest of the school. There's always exceptions on the low end of the bell curve but it doesn't invalidate the competency of the entire group.

Working in that area of PlayStation is highly competitive and a highly compensated field. They're not getting the low level MBAs who slip through the cracks.

There is nothing of value Colin Moriarty can teach the high level strategy team at PlayStation. He plays a very specific type of videogame and runs a podcast. He has developed no relevant knowledge base to make informed decisions on the topics he covers. In fact, if you put him in a room with Jim Ryan's team, he would do nothing but sit and listen while they talk business.

AmuroChan

That’s assuming everyone is on the lowest tier. Plus they sell merch which appararently is quite successful. And they’re not all full-time employees. As far as I know only Colin and Dustin are FTEs.

That's correct. Colin and Dustin are FTEs. The rest are paid at scale for the time they spend recording.

Roufianos

$780,000 seems like a lot until you figure that income has to be split between Colin, Chris, Dustin, MrMattyPlays, Lord Cognito, and now Brad. That's six people, not including all the costs being incurred to keep the shows running.
I mean, outside of Dustin, these guys do 6 hours or so of work a week. Even if they're on 50k a year, which I doubt, Colin is still rolling in money.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Also, how much free time do people think Colin actually has to be able to play everything on every platform? He's running a company, recording multiple podcasts each week, working on two games with his indie studio, and oh he just recently got married too. His flagship show is Sacred Symbols. So his primary responsibility is to play on PlayStation. I can see the argument if he's also hosting their Nintendo and XBox podcasts and doesn't play games on those platforms, but he's not. He's the host of Sacred, and he spends 99% of his gaming time on PlayStation so that he can cover it as best as he's capable. I honestly don't see why that's an issue.

As I get older I find myself going more and more the wisdom of having just one platform. There are too many games for one person to play, on one platform, let alone all of them. You can drive yourself batty by trying to keep up with multiple platforms, different versions, etc. if you just play on PlayStation then you know what you are playing and blocking everything else out. It’s fine.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

As I get older I find myself going more and more the wisdom of having just one platform. There are too many games for one person to play, on one platform, let alone all of them. You can drive yourself batty by trying to keep up with multiple platforms, different versions, etc. if you just play on PlayStation then you know what you are playing and blocking everything else out. It’s fine.

Same. After having kids, my time is so limited that it's tough to spread my time across multiple platforms.

I agree with everything you said, but I don't think it addresses my main point.

The conversation branched this way because I said "PlayStation has teams of MBAs looking at Bungie in depth..." at which point TexMex said I invalidated my argument. Then the MBA point shifted to PhDs.

I had friends on my high school basketball team who told me I could play because one or two of the players was awful at basketball. Still, on average my high school basketball team was better at basketball than the rest of the school. There's always exceptions on the low end of the bell curve but it doesn't invalidate the competency of the entire group.

Working in that area of PlayStation is highly competitive and a highly compensated field. They're not getting the low level MBAs who slip through the cracks.

There is nothing of value Colin Moriarty can teach the high level strategy team at PlayStation. He plays a very specific type of videogame and runs a podcast. He has developed no relevant knowledge base to make informed decisions on the topics he covers. In fact, if you put him in a room with Jim Ryan's team, he would do nothing but sit and listen while they talk business.

Exactly. Honestly I’m baffled by some of the responses.

Karak

Been listening to the "Summon Signs" episode now. Good stuff!
I can't stand the vibe of most gaming podcasts (screaming, cringy trying to be funny-vibes like that awful "Kinda Funny" shit)

I really like LSM and their stuff, and it's one of the few I listen to on a regular basis, along with ACG.
Kudos to Karak Karak for actually focusing on celebrating GAMES and not all the toxic shit this industry sadly generates in many places, like Reset Era.

Speaking of that, I cannot believe how Colin M is some kind of demon in so many gamers eyes. What did this guy actually do to get so much hate?? And don't tell me it's all about that old tweet.. if so, that's beyond crazy.
Thanks man. While I will tear up something on a review. When it comes to the podcast man. It's just 4 of us laughing about games and random shit. Too much news repeat podcasts, and influencer famewhoring groups out there now. I do love some Ironlords though:) Those guys crack me up even with the console specific coverage.

TexMex

Anyone listen to this weeks episode?

I've never listened to EA before, and it takes a while for any show to find it's footing - but does anyone else just think this guy seems...bored? I'm not sure he's really decided on what he wants to even talk about. Everything is just "so uh, what do you guys think about this game? ok well how bout this game??" I can't really tell what this show is for, like it will overlap with their already daily shows. Maybe Colin was just excited to take talent from an outlet he hates but I feel like they wanted to start a show before they knew what it was going to be so far.

R6Rider

Gold Member

I've never listened to EA before, and it takes a while for any show to find it's footing - but does anyone else just think this guy seems...bored? I'm not sure he's really decided on what he wants to even talk about. Everything is just "so uh, what do you guys think about this game? ok well how bout this game??" I can't really tell what this show is for, like it will overlap with their already daily shows. Maybe Colin was just excited to take talent from an outlet he hates but I feel like they wanted to start a show before they knew what it was going to be so far.
I've seen the first episode (I think there's only one so far) and the show is essentially an extended and in depth look at what everyone has been playing.

As for Brad's "performance" I think he did okay, but will certainly get better as more episodes happen.

I think for this specific show it would do wonders if each person played unique game to discuss in the next episode or something. Or a game they all plan to play. I know not every guest is going to be the same each week, so that may not be feasible.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I would say indifferent rather than bored. But I'd just suggest that it could be due to nerves (overcompensating to give a calm demeanour) and the fact he could not be used to remote podcasting.

Let's see how it goes a few weeks from now.

Fbh

I don't think he sounds bored, he is just rather calm in general as a person. The idea of the show is for people to get together and just talk about the games they are playing. Gene actually remarked on the last episode how he likes the format because it actually got him excited about trying the games the other guests were talking about, mainly because they could take the time to get more in depth than on something like Sacred Symbols.
Another thing is that because of the nature of the show, a lot also depends on the guests. Brad can't be expected to be playing every game, so guests are expected to carry the conversation when they are talking about the game they are playing (while Brad as a host should try to make interesting questions and possibly get the other guests involved in the conversation).

The only problem with Brad is that he just isn't the best "podcaster". He sometimes seems to lack the words to really express himself, falling back on phrases like "and stuff like that" all the time, which maybe didn't stand out on EZA but it does stand out when you have people like Colin as a guest. Also, I don't get how after all this time he still seems to struggle to read every single listener email.
I like him, but Ben (original host of Frametrap) was always a way better host.

Last edited:
Top Bottom