• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Ellis (former member of Easy Allies and gametrailers) officially joins Last Stand Media

TexMex

Stupid stuff, not offensive.

He treats acquisitions as something entirely different than what it is...corporate warfare. XBox shouldn't have bought ABK because it isn't right. PlayStation should sell Bungie for .60 cents on the dollar. Organic growth is somehow the only right way to do things.

It's all how I imagine a weird child would talk about such topics. Stupid indeed.

I’m not sure I’ve heard him speak of it in another way than corporate warfare, or said MS buying ABK is immoral or something. Organic growth usually is more logical and fruitful, and he threw out selling Bungie for 3.5 down from 4, and even said Marathon could come out and prove him completely wrong, among many other points that provide more nuance and context than you’re giving here.

You can disagree with him top to bottom but I’ve never heard something I’d call “child like.” The positions are perfectly reasonable even if you don’t agree.

Flutta

Banned
Q7j1gQf.jpg

Colin certainly is a powerful force over there. Wow 🤣

Where’s this “documented bigotry”? Is there an online tome of it somewhere? www.TalesFromMyAsshole.com?
Oh look it’s one of Phils elite Xbox ambassadors. Dude def having a good time over there at era baning ponies left and right.

WitchHunter

Banned
You could chatgpt summarize it, heres a sample:
I know, but most - if not all - LLMs summarization feature is seriously terrible. ChatGPT included. I want to listen to this, but fuck me, why not make an edit of it? I'm sure only a miniscule of their listeners hear the whole shit from the beginning to end. Also, during winter, it's annoying to always get off your gloves, do the touch thing with your phone, jump to another section etc etc.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’m not sure I’ve heard him speak of it in another way than corporate warfare, or said MS buying ABK is immoral or something. Organic growth usually is more logical and fruitful, and he threw out selling Bungie for 3.5 down from 4, and even said Marathon could come out and prove him completely wrong, among many other points that provide more nuance and context than you’re giving here.

You can disagree with him top to bottom but I’ve never heard something I’d call “child like.” The positions are perfectly reasonable even if you don’t agree.

I couldn't disagree more.

Two examples of unbelievably childlike rationale out of him...

1. Microsoft shouldn't have bought ABK but instead they should have bought a number of smaller companies instead. That makes 0 sense from a corporate warfare strategy.

2. PlayStation should sell back Bungie because fake news media swerved him unbelievably hard on the "Bungie missed projections by 45%" story from a few weeks back. The idea you should take a bath on a 3B dollar purchase because IGN got your silly click was again...retardedly childish.

Colin has strengths as a podcaster but he's as solid as Michael Pachter when it comes to industry analysis...actually he's worse.

Last edited:

TexMex

I couldn't disagree more.

Two examples of unbelievably childlike rationale out of him...

1. Microsoft shouldn't have bought ABK but instead they should have bought a number of smaller companies instead. That makes 0 sense from a corporate warfare strategy.

2. PlayStation should sell back Bungie because fake news media swerved him unbelievably hard on the "Bungie missed projections by 45%" story from a few weeks back. The idea you should take a bath on a 3B dollar purchase because IGN got your silly click was again...retardedly childish.

Colin has strengths as a podcaster but he's as solid as Michael Pachter when it comes to industry analysis...actually he's worse.

I don’t want (another) pedantic argument in this thread but I suppose I take exception with the “childlike” descriptor.

I hear that and I hear whiny or immature and I don’t think he’s being either by simply saying that whether you agree or not. The ABK one I’m a little less strong on, because it’s just way too early to know who will ultimately be right.

Bungie on the other hand, I completely agree. That company is in disaster territory as has been well documented. They could turn it around in a huge way, time will tell, but right now that’s one I bet Sony would take back, and I don’t think too many people would line up to buy them in their current state. They are, by their own metrics, massively under performing with significant layoffs. Again you can disagree but it’s hardly an infantile mindset to evaluate their own self reported financials and state of their business. Especially since they were allegedly bought to help with live service, a model that Sony seems to be walking back more and more every day.

AmuroChan

Bungie on the other hand, I completely agree. That company is in disaster territory as has been well documented. They could turn it around in a huge way, time will tell, but right now that’s one I bet Sony would take back, and I don’t think too many people would line up to buy them in their current state. They are, by their own metrics, massively under performing with significant layoffs. Again you can disagree but it’s hardly an infantile mindset to evaluate their own self reported financials and state of their business. Especially since they were allegedly bought to help with live service, a model that Sony seems to be walking back more and more every day.

Sony has a tough task on their hands with Bungie. Bungie was supposed to just operate like a well oiled machine because they're the so called "expert" in the live service space. Now Sony, who has no expertise in this space, has to somehow turn the studio around to become profitable again. I don't envy their position. The odds are not in their favor.

TexMex

Sony has a tough task on their hands with Bungie. Bungie was supposed to just operate like a well oiled machine because they're the so called "expert" in the live service space. Now Sony, who has no expertise in this space, has to somehow turn the studio around to become profitable again. I don't envy their position. The odds are not in their favor.

That’s more or less my read on it, and why Colin feels the way he does. Sony bought Bungie to reap the fruits of their labor, and now they’re in the position of having to cultivate it themselves. And if that’s the place they’re truly in, what’s the point?

AmuroChan

That’s more or less my read on it, and why Colin feels the way he does. Sony bought Bungie to reap the fruits of their labor, and now they’re in the position of having to cultivate it themselves. And if that’s the place they’re truly in, what’s the point?

There's so much pressure on them now to deliver on Final Shape. If they can somehow do that justice and give Destiny fans a great conclusion to the Light & Darkness saga, it will at least give the studio a morale boost as they move on to Marathon.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don’t want (another) pedantic argument in this thread but I suppose I take exception with the “childlike” descriptor.

I hear that and I hear whiny or immature and I don’t think he’s being either by simply saying that whether you agree or not. The ABK one I’m a little less strong on, because it’s just way too early to know who will ultimately be right.
To me, he's childlike in his obstenent naivety. He's the 8 year old kid who is obsessed with the Blue Jays. They have a good team. They might make a push for a deep postseason run next year and all of a sudden the Yakees sign 4 All Star players. Certain children, to mask the threat, resort to creating wild narratives to soothe their ego. "They overpaid for those players. I think Ohtani is getting old. They have to buy their players because they can't build any through their farm team." The kid is smart enough to know how important those 4 signings were but he can't admit it out loud.

Colin embodies that child to a tee.

Preposterous.

The Bungie situation has been anything but "well documented". In fact, the IGN story was laughably bad clickbait journalism masquerading an air of integrity about it.

IGN offered 0 details or context around the two juiciest pieces of their story. Was Lightfall profitable? Historically, what have their yearly projections looked like? What are the details around the board situation with Sony?

The reason details were not provided is because details would hamper the stories clickability. Their audience does not demand details or context. An audience that does not demand details or context are the easily duped. The easily duped are easily led.

Colin's suggestion that they should sell Bungie based on what he's read from IGN, is again, that obstenent child who doesn't like feeling the industry shift beneath his feet. He doesn't like GAAS, so he'll bite hook line and sinker, on any anti GAAS narrative swirling in the toilet. This is especially funny considering Colin is relatively aware of shoddy journalism when it comes to gaming and politics.

Sony went through Bungie with a fine tooth comb. Do you honestly think their teams of MBAs with decades of experience, were shocked when the 8% layoffs happened (post Covid contraction) and Lightfall underperformed? Sony bought Bungie for the mid to long term. Minor bumps in the road are par for the course.

TexMex

To me, he's childlike in his obstenent naivety. He's the 8 year old kid who is obsessed with the Blue Jays. They have a good team. They might make a push for a deep postseason run next year and all of a sudden the Yakees sign 4 All Star players. Certain children, to mask the threat, resort to creating wild narratives to soothe their ego. "They overpaid for those players. I think Ohtani is getting old. They have to buy their players because they can't build any through their farm team." The kid is smart enough to know how important those 4 signings were but he can't admit it out loud.

Colin embodies that child to a tee.

Preposterous.

The Bungie situation has been anything but "well documented". In fact, the IGN story was laughably bad clickbait journalism masquerading an air of integrity about it.

IGN offered 0 details or context around the two juiciest pieces of their story. Was Lightfall profitable? Historically, what have their yearly projections looked like? What are the details around the board situation with Sony?

The reason details were not provided is because details would hamper the stories clickability. Their audience does not demand details or context. An audience that does not demand details or context are the easily duped. The easily duped are easily led.

Colin's suggestion that they should sell Bungie based on what he's read from IGN, is again, that obstenent child who doesn't like feeling the industry shift beneath his feet. He doesn't like GAAS, so he'll bite hook line and sinker, on any anti GAAS narrative swirling in the toilet. This is especially funny considering Colin is relatively aware of shoddy journalism when it comes to gaming and politics.

Sony went through Bungie with a fine tooth comb. Do you honestly think their teams of MBAs with decades of experience, were shocked when the 8% layoffs happened (post Covid contraction) and Lightfall underperformed? Sony bought Bungie for the mid to long term. Minor bumps in the road are par for the course.

You almost had me until you framed having an MBA as some sort of watermark of intelligence.

You almost had me until you framed having an MBA as some sort of watermark of intelligence.

This is a really dumb point to get hung up on. Is every person with an MBA a genius? Of course not. Is the average MBA grad more intelligent (or at least better trained) than the average non MBA person? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
This is a really dumb point to get hung up on. Is every person with an MBA a genius? Of course not. Is the average MBA grad more intelligent (or at least better trained) than the average non MBA person? Absolutely.

Depends on the university, the coursework, and the drive of the individual. I have met people with PhDs who are dumber than a box of rocks. Having a degree itself means nothing. It is what you do with said degree that indicates any level of intelligence.

Easy Allies was/is a gaming podcast for a very specific group of people. Namely, those who don't like any outside thoughts and ideas and people that might be contrary to their ideology in their programming. I'm trying to skirt around politics here... Brad was one of the more reasonable ones and was essentially canceled by the ree types because he's friends with Dustin and Dustin works with Colin Moriarity. Who is an outspoken conservative/libertarian and therefore evil.
Lmao this can't be real. A friend of a friend of yours is right on the American left right political spectrum therefore you must now be cancelled. These people are mentally ill.

Depends on the university, the coursework, and the drive of the individual. I have met people with PhDs who are dumber than a box of rocks. Having a degree itself means nothing. It is what you do with said degree that indicates any level of intelligence.

I don’t disagree with that, but we can only talk averages. There is a positive correlation between higher education levels and IQ. Lots of studies show that.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Fox News literally does criticize Trump. Is that not a fanboy network?

It's never a binary.

It's always about rates + percentages.

Colin plays to his audience like everyone else and his audience wants "Blue good. Green bad."
Hey, you changed your avatar.

RIP the Fortnite fish.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

That doesn't make sense.

Why would doing something with your education (to acquire a PhD) not be indicative of intelligence, but doing something with your PhD is?

When talking about populations, there's always exceptions on the lower end of the bell curve.

AmuroChan

I don’t disagree with that, but we can only talk averages. There is a positive correlation between higher education levels and IQ. Lots of studies show that.

Yes, but the comparison wasn't between higher vs lower education groups, but MBA vs non-MBA. Someone who has a PHD or MD, but not a MBA would fall in the non-MBA group. It's a silly discussion nonetheless because there are different post-grad degrees in different fields so how do we even rank them. I have a MBA and MPH. I don't know which is considered higher. I only know that the MPH was a more difficult program to get through (for me).

Last edited:

Interfectum

He has time to complete Immortals of Aveum but refuses to play Zelda, Mario, and other countless all-timers.

It's not a time thing. It's a stubbornness thing.

I don't really care, he can do whatever he wants, but it's fanboy behavior IMO.
Nah, dude loves stats and trophies. He plays on one platform because he wants all of his gaming stats there. Very similar to how a lot of PC gamers like to keep their games to a single platform (Steam). Nothing fanboy about it, more OCD than anything else.

Last edited:

DonF

That doesn't make sense.

Why would doing something with your education (to acquire a PhD) not be indicative of intelligence, but doing something with your PhD is?

When talking about populations, there's always exceptions on the lower end of the bell curve.
having a phd means you know A LOT about a thing, and you've actually created knowledge about said thing.

Sometime people have dumb opinions outside of their area of expertise.

Portugeezer

There's no chance any current EZA member would be allowed to go on the show. Brad is where he is now because he had Dustin on his show.
That would be a shame as Brad was on a LSM show before the other later "drama" and Huber is his *real world outside friend* (I think some people forget how important that is) since the first grade.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
There's no chance any current EZA member would be allowed to go on the show. Brad is where he is now because he had Dustin on his show.

I don't think what remains of EZA will have any say on who's allowed to go on anything anymore. What are they going to do, fire Huber? They're on life-support as best as it is already.

swaffles23

Who knows.. Brad said he's welcome anytime he wants and Colin doesn't care who comes on. Blood said when he addressed the Dustin incident that stopping friends from talking about games isn't right so I figured that would apply to Huber as well since they are best friends

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
having a phd means you know A LOT about a thing, and you've actually created knowledge about said thing.

Sometime people have dumb opinions outside of their area of expertise.

Yeah, but that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying the population of MBA's or PhD's is more intelligent, on average, than those without.

As regards to this topic in, I'm taking the MBAs at PlayStation over NeoGAF when it comes to where gaming is headed.

AmuroChan

Who knows.. Brad said he's welcome anytime he wants and Colin doesn't care who comes on. Blood said when he addressed the Dustin incident that stopping friends from talking about games isn't right so I figured that would apply to Huber as well since they are best friends
I don't think what remains of EZA will have any say on who's allowed to go on anything anymore. What are they going to do, fire Huber? They're on life-support as best as it is already.

Of course LSM wouldn't mind having Huber on. They're not the ones at the mercy of the purple-haired crowd. I don't see Huber going on any LSM shows though unless he leaves EZA also. Colin publicly called out EZA on the Dustin situation and then proceeded to poach Brad from them. What's left of the EZA community is pissed about that. If Huber goes on Brad's show after all of that, he's going to get destroyed by his EZA fans, which I don't necessarily mind. If he gets forced out too, I think that's a good thing for him. He's much better off on his own without the shackles that the Reeee morons put on EZA.

SkylineRKR

I've looked into Colin Moriarty related things and I still can't see what makes him a transphobic criminal ripe for cancellation. He defends someone who's rep was destroyed merely for liking a fucking particular game. Hogwarts, which sold millions and was met with good reviews anyway.

This whole domino show is ridiculous. So, yeah person X was on stream of person Y who defended person Z so person X is a bigot. The hoops that community goes through is insane. EZA can fucking die and Huber deverses better. And I say this as a former GameTrailers fan.

Fbh

I've looked into Colin Moriarty related things and I still can't see what makes him a transphobic criminal ripe for cancellation. He defends someone who's rep was destroyed merely for liking a fucking particular game. Hogwarts, which sold millions and was met with good reviews anyway.

This whole domino show is ridiculous. So, yeah person X was on stream of person Y who defended person Z so person X is a bigot. The hoops that community goes through is insane. EZA can fucking die and Huber deverses better. And I say this as a former GameTrailers fan.

On Era any view on trans individuals aside from "they are 100% identical to biological women in every single way and should be treated as such" is considered transphobic.
If you are respectful towards trans women and generally treat them as the gender they identify with but also think they shouldn't compete against biological women because of the obvious physical differences you are considered transphobic there.

While I think it would be great to have Huber on as a guest I doubt he would agree to appear.
For better or worse he really seems to love the EZA community and I think he's been using them as an important emotional support for these past few years (which were rough for him with his brother dying and his wife leaving him). Appearing on any LSM content now would probably make at least a part of the community turn on him which he probably wouldn't want.
He is also close with Isla ,and she probably hates Colin the most out of all the Allies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

You're expecting rationality from the irrational.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've looked into Colin Moriarty related things and I still can't see what makes him a transphobic criminal ripe for cancellation. He defends someone who's rep was destroyed merely for liking a fucking particular game. Hogwarts, which sold millions and was met with good reviews..

This is somewhat relevant to your point...

SkylineRKR

You're expecting rationality from the irrational.

Nah. I've been a member on Ree way back. I was eventually kicked out for my views not aligning. I know how crazy and narrow minded those fucks are, but lately it starts to cost. I attribute the downfall of EZA to their woke crowd, obviously heavily facilitated by Isla. I think they were sort of doing okay before, not great but not bad either. Their star, Bosman, left and it went downhill and they radicalized around this period as well. Jones left as well. I wonder if their departures have anything to do with it all.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
That doesn't make sense.

Not all PhDs are equal. Some require rigor, others require you to show up and kiss someone’s ass while repeating exactly what they say.

Just because you have a PhD doesn’t mean much. What you have done since getting the PhD, the papers you published from continued research, the foundations made, etc - those are indicative of whether someone is intelligent. It is like comparing Andrew Wakefield or Claudine Grey to Albert Einstein or Lavoisier.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not all PhDs are equal. Some require rigor, others require you to show up and kiss someone’s ass while repeating exactly what they say.

Just because you have a PhD doesn’t mean much. What you have done since getting the PhD, the papers you published from continued research, the foundations made, etc - those are indicative of whether someone is intelligent. It is like comparing Andrew Wakefield or Claudine Grey to Albert Einstein or Lavoisier.

I have a PhD and I only recognize Einstein out of those people.

Cancel culture's gonna come for him. Didn't he get the memo if you associate at all with LSM you're the devil just like Colin? ;)

I got banned from Resetera back when Andre got in trouble when everyone else abruptly left GameXplain and started Good Vibes. I literally said something like "what goes around comes around, be careful what you wish for. Cancel culture finally came for Andre". I got perma-banned like within 5 minutes. Was a member for years & years. Then I realized once it came out that they were going to ignore the existance of last year's most popular game, that they aren't worth the time and no one should be on Resetera. It's literally nothing more than a hyper-liberal echo chamber where no one is allowed to speak about anything genuinely, so everyone has to toe the line and pretend to be something they're not, to avoid being banned. What's the point?

Last edited:
My OG neogaf account is still banned for saying Colin's women joke wasn't a big deal. The anti-woke crew can be annoying, but fuck those other people.
It literally wasn't a big deal, though. Greg and the bros at Kinda Funny were just looking for something to push Colin out. He wasn't happy with the way things were going there, anyway. He would have left eventually for some other reason. I used to like Greg at IGN, but he just sucks now.

Last edited:
The only 2 podcasts I still listen to is NextLander and Frame Trap. Used to listen to the EZA Podcast but it got really boring after Kyle left, specially the episodes Blood decided to run through a list of all releases of the trimester. I will replace FT with this one now. Wish Brad all the best. Hopefully Huber can join him at some point.

BossLackey

Gold Member
It literally wasn't a big deal, though. Greg and the bros at Kinda Funny were just looking for something to push Colin out. He wasn't happy with the way things were going there, anyway. He would have left eventually for some other reason. I used to like Greg at IGN, but he just sucks now.

I used to be a big fan of Podcast Beyond. Now I can't fucking stand Greg.

Top Bottom