• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Ellis (former member of Easy Allies and gametrailers) officially joins Last Stand Media

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Exception proving the rule. I'm literally repeating to you what he said, and you are arguing against it.
Check the edit. So by your logic, someone must play everything to not be a fanboy? Why? Who has that time? He's the playstation guy.

AmuroChan

I'd call him stubborn, lazy or just annoying for refusing to play on other systems but I don't think that alone is enough to qualify someone as a fanboy. Fanboys will generally blindly defend a brand, love everything they do and release, deflect criticism or do mental gymnastics to give them a positive twist, etc.
Colin is often critical of Sony as a compay and the products they release. On this same podcast they go over their top 10 games of the year and Colin didn't even include Spider Man 2, the one proper first party Sony game of the year, while he had stuff like Robocop and Immortals of Aveum in there. That doesn't fit with the definition of a fanboy that I thought I understood

Also, how much free time do people think Colin actually has to be able to play everything on every platform? He's running a company, recording multiple podcasts each week, working on two games with his indie studio, and oh he just recently got married too. His flagship show is Sacred Symbols. So his primary responsibility is to play on PlayStation. I can see the argument if he's also hosting their Nintendo and XBox podcasts and doesn't play games on those platforms, but he's not. He's the host of Sacred, and he spends 99% of his gaming time on PlayStation so that he can cover it as best as he's capable. I honestly don't see why that's an issue.

Fbh

Also I finished the episode.
It was pretty good as an introductory episode. I'll be looking forward to where Brad takes it in the next few months, at least publicly Colin was pretty open about Brad having complete freedom in how to approach the show in terms of segments, structure, guests, etc.
I kinda wonder if Huber would ever agree to be a guest on some episode in the future, I guess not as it would only enrage what remains of the EZA fanbase. Maybe once EZA goes down for sure

TexMex

Check the edit. So by your logic, someone must play everything to not be a fanboy? Why? Who has that time? He's the playstation guy.

I'm really not sure where we're getting lost here. He says this all himself. He specifically says he doesn't play games outside of Playstation except in really extreme scenarios. I have a Steam account and a Switch too, so what? 99.999999% of my game time is on Playstation. I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with it, I couldn't possibly care less. It just is what it is and people are out here trying to make it sound like he is control agnostic, when he absolutely is not (his words, not mine).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Did the purp asylum reopen the thread yet? :messenger_beaming:

Edit: Nope, still locked. Must still be going over complaints and reports :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Fake

bJwuRl7.jpg

ZuI5Qac.gif

'Tag: I won't miss'

Quite ironic.

AmuroChan

It was pretty good as an introductory episode. I'll be looking forward to where Brad takes it in the next few months, at least publicly Colin was pretty open about Brad having complete freedom in how to approach the show in terms of segments, structure, guests, etc.
I kinda wonder if Huber would ever agree to be a guest on some episode in the future, I guess not as it would only enrage what remains of the EZA fanbase. Maybe once EZA goes down for sure

Yea, no chance they'll have any current EZA members on while EZA is still around.

Reactions: Fbh

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm really not sure where we're getting lost here. He says this all himself. He specifically says he doesn't play games outside of Playstation except in really extreme scenarios. I have a Steam account and a Switch too, so what? 99.999999% of my game time is on Playstation. I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with it, I couldn't possibly care less. It just is what it is and people are out here trying to make it sound like he is control agnostic, when he absolutely is not (his words, not mine).
You're calling him a fanboy though. Which I and the majority of others dispute. A fanboy is someone whom is never critical of the brand and shills. That's what I think of as a fanboy anyway. Maining a platform is what the majority of gamers do. Doesn't make them fanboys. It especially makes sense for him since it's how he makes his living.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

You're calling him a fanboy though. Which I and the majority of others dispute. A fanboy is someone whom is never critical of the brand and shills. That's what I think of as a fanboy anyway. Maining a platform is what the majority of gamers do. Doesn't make them fanboys. It especially makes sense for him since it's how he makes his living.

Correct. There's a difference between being a fan and a fanboy. Colin is a diehard fan of PS. I don't think anyone would dispute that. However, he's clearly not a fanboy if you just listen to what he says on the show.

TexMex

I can tell you aren’t reading the thread, but if you scroll up less than a page, I completely agreed with that statement and said it was a great point.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I can tell you aren’t reading the thread, but if you scroll up less than a page, I completely agreed with that statement and said it was a great point.
So your stance is he's not a fanboy? My mistake. You were answering for another person so I was probably mistaking your response for analog_future analog_future who couldn't be bothered to respond. Nice of you to answer for him.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Also, how much free time do people think Colin actually has to be able to play everything on every platform? He's running a company, recording multiple podcasts each week, working on two games with his indie studio, and oh he just recently got married too. His flagship show is Sacred Symbols. So his primary responsibility is to play on PlayStation. I can see the argument if he's also hosting their Nintendo and XBox podcasts and doesn't play games on those platforms, but he's not. He's the host of Sacred, and he spends 99% of his gaming time on PlayStation so that he can cover it as best as he's capable. I honestly don't see why that's an issue.

He has time to complete Immortals of Aveum but refuses to play Zelda, Mario, and other countless all-timers.

It's not a time thing. It's a stubbornness thing.

I don't really care, he can do whatever he wants, but it's fanboy behavior IMO.

MacReady13

To be clear - I'm a huge Colin fan and patron. You aren't following the conversation I'm replying to at all. No one made the claim that he is uninformed. It was specifically about that he is, by his own admission, a Playstation fanboy who refuses to play games anywhere else. This is something he has personally said, time and time again, including on the very first episode of this new show. Scroll up and catch up before your next totally unprovoked hostile reply.
Noted. Sorry about that. So much to try catch up on in this thread! Didn't read that so my apologies for being hostile.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Q7j1gQf.jpg

Colin certainly is a powerful force over there. Wow 🤣

Where’s this “documented bigotry”? Is there an online tome of it somewhere? www.TalesFromMyAsshole.com?
I love how people get banned on that hellhole for "downplaying." Not even something that those idiots could moronically perceive as bigotry. Just "downplaying." Which is code for "disagreeing."

And to have to lock a topic because there's so much reporting, oh how very Soviet of them. Everyone snitching, complaining, and wanting each other ousted. If you let crazy people dictate policy you're going to get crazy policy.

AmuroChan

He has time to complete Immortals of Aveum but refuses to play Zelda, Mario, and other countless all-timers.

He played Immortals of Aveum because it's on PlayStation and he covered it on his show. If the game was a Switch-exclusive he wouldn't have played it. Even if he played Mario and Zelda, he's not going to cover them on Sacred anyway. There's a reason why he hired other people to be part of LSM. So that it's not all on him to play everything. He can just focus on PlayStation and do the best PlayStation podcast he can produce. There are 4 other people who do LSM's Nintendo show. They have Zelda, Mario, and all the other Nintendo games covered and then some. If you want to hear Mario and Zelda opinions, there are a million gaming shows out there that will cover them. What makes Colin unique is because he's willing to play the obscure games that nobody covers. If he didn't play Immortals of Aveum, I would have never even heard of that game. I discovered Danganronpa because of Colin, and those games became some of my favorites on the Vita. What makes Sacred great is because Colin, Dustin, and Chris all play different games and therefore can cover a wide spectrum of games. Dustin and Chris will play most of the big mainstream games. Chris also plays MP online and has that covered. Colin and Dustin have JRPGs covered and Colin also plays a lot of indie games and AA titles like Immortals of Aveum and Robocop. If you listen to the other big PlayStation podcasts out there, they mostly all just talk about the major games. They almost never cover the obscure shit and hidden gems that most people have never heard of. As much as I love listening to the guys talk about God of War or TLOU or Horizon (as they should since it's a PS podcast), I get even more excited when Colin does an entire Sacred+ episode on Trails of Cold Steel because that's content that's unique.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member

He says in the first Summon Sign that he's still coming to terms with a way to, in his mind, remain a PlayStation expert while playing other platforms. People take time to change...

Fbh

Q7j1gQf.jpg

Colin certainly is a powerful force over there. Wow 🤣

Where’s this “documented bigotry”? Is there an online tome of it somewhere? www.TalesFromMyAsshole.com?

lol, holy shit it doesn't get more "era" than this.

"Can't believe Brad fell for the lie about LSM accepting discussion between different perspectives, that's not what these bigots do.
Oh also the mods have decided Colin is evil and anyone who disagrees and argues against it is going to get banned"

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
He played Immortals of Aveum because it's on PlayStation and he covered it on his show. If the game was a Switch-exclusive he wouldn't have played it. Even if he played Mario and Zelda, he's not going to cover them on Sacred anyway. There's a reason why he hired other people to be part of LSM. So that it's not all on him to play everything. He can just focus on PlayStation and do the best PlayStation podcast he can produce. There are 4 other people who do LSM's Nintendo show. They have Zelda, Mario, and all the other Nintendo games covered and then some. If you want to hear Mario and Zelda opinions, there are a million gaming shows out there that will cover them. What makes Colin unique is because he's willing to play the obscure games that nobody covers. If he didn't play Immortals of Aveum, I would have never even heard of that game. I discovered Danganronpa because of Colin, and those games became some of my favorites on the Vita. What makes Sacred great is because Colin, Dustin, and Chris all play different games and therefore can cover a wide spectrum of games. Dustin and Chris will play most of the big mainstream games. Chris also plays MP online and has that covered. Colin and Dustin have JRPGs covered and Colin also plays a lot of indie games and AA titles like Immortals of Aveum and Robocop. If you listen to the other big PlayStation podcasts out there, they mostly all just talk about the major games. They almost never cover the obscure shit and hidden gems that most people have never heard of. As much as I love listening to the guys talk about God of War or TLOU or Horizon (as they should since it's a PS podcast), I get even more excited when Colin does an entire Sacred+ episode on Trails of Cold Steel because that's content that's unique.

You're veering off track of what we're even talking about. No one is even complaining about him not playing other games. Again, he can do what he wants. Obviously we can listen to other podcasts for non-PS content.

The point being made is he's clearly a Playstation fanboy that refuses to play games outside of the Playstation ecosystem 99% of the time. Which again, is fine! But it's also the truth despite several trying to deny that fact.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You're really bending over backwards here and veering off track of what we're even talking about. No one is even complaining about him not playing other games. Again, he can do what he wants. Obviously we can listen to other podcasts for that content.

The point being made is he's clearly a Playstation fanboy that refuses to play games outside of the Playstation ecosystem 99% of the time. Which again, is fine! But it's also the truth despite several trying to deny that fact.
It's literally just you making that "point" that he's a fanboy everyone else has countered it. You are entitled to your opinion but it's obviously not a popular one.

AmuroChan

And the disagreement is with that point. I consider him a diehard PlayStation fan. I don't consider him a fanboy. He is a fanboy if he blindly defends everything PlayStation does, which is what actual fanboys do. He clearly doesn't do that as he is routinely critical on decisions that Sony makes, to the point where the actual Sony fanboys attack him for being too harsh on PlayStation.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
And the disagreement is with that point. I consider him a diehard PlayStation fan. I don't consider him a fanboy. He is a fanboy if he blindly defends everything PlayStation does, which is what actual fanboys do. He clearly doesn't do that as he is routinely critical on decisions that Sony makes, to the point where the actual Sony fanboys attack him for being too harsh on PlayStation.

At this point we're just arguing semantics then. Fanboy has a fluid definition and it means something different from one person to the next.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
At this point we're just arguing semantics then. Fanboy has a fluid definition and it means something different from one person to the next.
Diehard fan vs fanboy.

Personally I prefer to call him a Playstation Sommelier. Doesn't mean he can't have a beer from time to time, but his expertise and training and livelihood and show and personal preference and history prior to LSM all are focused on Playstation in a totally un-boylike type of fandom. If anything he's not a fanboy. He's a fanman.

SNPlayen

lol, holy shit it doesn't get more "era" than this.

"Can't believe Brad fell for the lie about LSM accepting discussion between different perspectives, that's not what these bigots do.
Oh also the mods have decided Colin is evil and anyone who disagrees and argues against it is going to get banned"
People keep asking for his indiscretions which nobody seems to point to, then I see a post with all these links so I start clicking, they are things Trump said and the guy is pinning them on Colin because apparently he said he would vote for Trump over Biden or because he associated with Rogan who said that. That’s how far they have to go

WitchHunter

Banned
I thought this was worthy of its own thread. Good on Brad for giving the finger the the cancel mob and leaving the sinking ship that is Easy Allies.

Is there a distilled version with half to 1 hour or so length? Who the hell has time to hear these wombats rambling for 4 hours straight every episode?

AmuroChan

People keep asking for his indiscretions which nobody seems to point to, then I see a post with all these links so I start clicking, they are things Trump said and the guy is pinning them on Colin because apparently he said he would vote for Trump over Biden or because he associated with Rogan who said that. That’s how far they have to go

The guilt by association is getting ridiculous at this point. Pretty soon if you're someone who has ever watched an episode of The Apprentice you'd be considered a far right fascist.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

You don't find fanboy podcasters saying things like "I'm not a fanboy. I'll criticize X when it's warranted" all the time?

AmuroChan

You don't find fanboy podcasters saying things like "I'm not a fanboy. I'll criticize X when it's warranted" all the time?

No unfortunately. Most of the other PS podcasters tend to keep the criticism very mild because they don't want to risk losing access from Sony. LSM is in a unique position since they're already blacklisted. So they can be as harsh as they want in their critique.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He literally does criticize them. He did in this very episode. He also praised Ms and Nintendo. In this very episode.

Fox News literally does criticize Trump. Is that not a fanboy network?

It's never a binary.

It's always about rates + percentages.

Colin plays to his audience like everyone else and his audience wants "Blue good. Green bad."

Last edited:

Portugeezer

It's a great time to have the show with so many good looking Japanese games coming in Q1/Q2 this year. He's a bit of a weeb from what I got from the easy Allies stuff I saw in the past.

Last edited:

Fbh

Is there a distilled version with half to 1 hour or so length? Who the hell has time to hear these wombats rambling for 4 hours straight every episode?

I listen to like 4-6 hours of podcasts a week lol.
Between the commute to work and a job that sometimes requires me to drive/walk around town a lot I get frequent chances to listen to stuff. I also like podcasts when doing chores around the house.

It's not just gaming podcasts though, sometimes I like science stuff, interviews, the ocasional Joe Rogan episode if he has an interesting guest. There's also some cool narrative podcasts (sort of like an audio play) and audiobooks.

Well people on Era have such a black and white view of the world that they can't grasp the idea that it's possible to partially agree with some stuff people have said and done without it meaning that you agree and endorse everything they've ever said and done. So this "guilty by association" mentality thrives

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If that's what the audience wants, they really shouldn't listen to LSM. I would recommend Podcast Beyond or PSILY instead if they just want "Blue good, green bad" commentary.

I don't know. Colin has said some stupid stuff about the XBox acquisitions. The dude is definitely a homer.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What has he said that you found so offensive?

Stupid stuff, not offensive.

He treats acquisitions as something entirely different than what it is...corporate warfare. XBox shouldn't have bought ABK because it isn't right. PlayStation should sell Bungie for .60 cents on the dollar. Organic growth is somehow the only right way to do things.

It's all how I imagine a weird child would talk about such topics. Stupid indeed.

AmuroChan

The dude is definitely a homer.

Well, he picked Microsoft as the biggest winner of 2023. So his audience of "blue good, green bad" really should check out the other PS podcasts I mentioned since they'll get a much more positive viewpoint on all things PlayStation than Sacred Symbols. Both Colin and Chris do not hold back when they go off on Sony.

Rengoku

You could chatgpt summarize it, heres a sample:

Part 1 of the video talks about the hosts’ backgrounds, interests, and opinions on various topics such as movies, PC gaming, and drugs. They also introduce the concept and format of the show, which is focused on in-depth gaming discussions.

Highlights:

• [00:00:25]3 The hosts introduce themselves and the show
    • Brad Ellis is the main host and a former host of Frame Trap
    • Dustin Furman is a co-host and a fan of One Piece
    • Colin Moriarty is a co-host and the boss of Last Stand Media
  • [00:04:40]4 The hosts talk about their movie preferences and experiences
    • Brad saw Avatar 2 and had issues with the frame rate changes
    • Colin wants to see Wonka and Oppenheimer
    • Dustin saw the new Miyazaki movie and was disturbed by the noise from the Beyonce movie next door
  • [00:10:00]5 The hosts discuss their gaming habits and preferences
    • Brad likes mouse and keyboard for first-person shooters and praises Doom Eternal
    • Colin is not used to PC gaming and prefers controllers
    • Dustin has a Sonos soundbar for Colin and likes Civilization
  • [00:15:00]6 The hosts share their personal stories and backgrounds
    • Brad went to beauty school and became a hair stylist for four years
    • Colin’s grandfather was a beautician in Manhattan
    • Dustin has a brother who collects various things and gives him expensive bottles of scotch
Part 2 of the video talks about the personal and professional journey of Brad Ellis, a video game journalist and critic. He shares his experiences of working as a hairdresser, joining GameTrailers and Easy Allies, meeting his girlfriend, and becoming part of Last Stand Media.

Highlights:

• [00:22:12]3 How Brad got into GameTrailers
    • He was a fan of gaming and wanted to work in the industry
    • He got a badge from his friend Mike Huber to sneak into E3
    • He got hired as a PA and worked on top 10 countdowns
  • [00:28:25]4 How Brad and his colleagues formed Easy Allies
    • They got fired by Defy Media, the company that owned GameTrailers
    • They decided to try something like Kinda Funny and crowdfund their own media outlet
    • They were surprised by the success and support of their fans
  • [00:36:01]5 How Brad met his girlfriend and became a fan of Kinda Funny
    • She was a fan of Easy Allies and they started dating
    • She plays a lot of PC-centric games like Rust and Hunt Showdown
    • He listened to Beyond and PS I Love You and looked up to Colin and Greg
  • [00:39:01]6 How Brad joined Last Stand Media and became friends with Dustin
    • Dustin messaged him on Twitter and they started playing Monster Hunter together
    • They bonded over their love of games and podcasts
    • Brad was excited to work with Colin and Dustin on Sacred Symbols Plus
Part 3 of the video talks about the hosts’ opinions on various topics related to gaming in 2023, such as the game awards, the release dates of upcoming games, the quality and quantity of games, and the surprises and disappointments they experienced.

Highlights:

• [00:44:53]3 The game awards
    • Criticize the lack of time and respect given to the winners
    • Praise Jeff Keighley for his passion and care
    • Question the legitimacy and prestige of the awards
  • [00:48:44]4 The release dates of upcoming games
    • Complain about the overlap of games coming out on the same day or month
    • Mention Persona 3, Final Fantasy 16, Grand blue, and Dragon’s Dogma 2 as examples
    • Discuss the strategy of waiting or choosing which games to play first
  • [00:51:35]5 The quality and quantity of games in 2023
    • Agree that 2023 is one of the greatest years in game’s history
    • Reflect on the diversity and variety of games across genres and platforms
    • Share their personal favorites and preferences
  • [01:00:00]6 The surprises and disappointments in 2023
    • Highlight some games that exceeded or failed their expectations
    • Mention Hogwarts Legacy, Tears of the Kingdom, Balers Gate 3, and Wild Hearts as examples
    • Express their appreciation for the games that broadened their horizons and challenged their tastes
Part 4 of the video talks about the hosts’ opinions on the best games of 2023, their favorite soundtracks, and the most overlooked games. They also discuss their personal preferences and experiences with different genres and platforms.

Highlights:

• [01:07:36]3 The best games of 2023
    • They mention games like Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Cyberpunk, Spiderman, Boulders Gate 3, Blasphemous 2, etc.
    • They praise the variety and quality of games across different platforms
    • They admit they can’t play everything and have different tastes and opinions
  • [01:13:17]4 The best soundtracks of 2023
    • They all agree that Final Fantasy 16 has the best soundtrack of the year
    • They describe the music as epic, uplifting, sad, and fitting for the game’s themes and scenes
    • They also mention other games with good music like Shovel Knight, Pizza Tower, and Dying Light 2
  • [01:18:00]5 The most overlooked games of 2023
    • Colin picks Immortals of Aven, a magic shooter that he thinks is high quality and fun
    • Dustin picks Pizza Tower, a 2D platformer inspired by Wario Land and 90s Nickelodeon
    • Brad picks Blasphemous 2, a Metroidvania with disturbing visuals and gameplay mechanics
Part 5 of the video talks about the hosts’ opinions on various video games that they played in 2023, such as Blasphemous, Darkest Dungeon 2, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and Metaphor Re Fantasio. They also discuss their preferences and challenges in different genres, especially the Souls-like games.

Highlights:

• [01:31:16]3 Blasphemous: a 2D Metroidvania with Souls-like boss fights
    • Praised for its level design, visuals, music, and combat
    • Not overly punishing or frustrating
    • Has a lot of lore and secrets to discover
  • [01:36:06]4 Darkest Dungeon 2: a turn-based combat game with Oregon Trail elements
    • Described as brutal, demoralizing, and challenging
    • Involves managing a party, traveling in a wagon, and facing random events
    • Has a roguelike progression system with upgrades and unlocks
  • [01:39:31]5 Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: the second part of the remake of the classic RPG
    • Highly anticipated by the hosts, especially Brad
    • Expected to be more open and expansive than the first part
    • Curious about the story changes and the new PS5 features
  • [01:48:40]6 Metaphor Re Fantasio: a Persona-style game in a fantasy setting
    • Liked by Brad for its art style, characters, and combat
    • Not set in high school, but in a kingdom where the protagonist fights to be king
    • Has a lot of humor and jokes, as well as bond mechanics
Part 6 of the video talks about some of the games that the hosts played and reviewed in 2023, as well as their opinions on various topics related to gaming and the industry. They also answer some questions from the audience and share some personal stories.

Highlights:

• [01:55:20]3 Project Re Fantasy
    • A new fantasy RPG from Atlus
    • Different from Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games
    • Has turn-based combat and exploration
  • [01:57:41]4 Armored Core 6
    • A fast-paced mech combat game from From Software
    • Has some cool boss fights and animations
    • Has some issues with mission structure and difficulty balance
  • [02:04:44]5 Lords of the Fallen 2
    • A Souls-like game from CI Games
    • Has some decent world design and secrets
    • Has some performance problems and enemy design issues
  • [02:09:46]6 One Piece Odyssey
    • A turn-based RPG based on the One Piece anime and manga
    • Has a fun combat system with combos and strategies
    • Has a dumb story and is too easy
  • [02:14:33]7 Biggest winners and losers of the year
    • Microsoft is a big winner for acquiring Activision and consolidating the industry
    • Embracer is a big loser for overextending and having unsustainable growth
    • Sony and Nintendo are also winners for having strong games and sales
Part 7 of the video talks about the biggest winners and losers in the gaming industry in 2023. The hosts discuss their opinions on various topics, such as Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard, Embracer’s financial troubles, Nintendo’s success with Zelda and Mario, and Starfield’s disappointing reception.

Highlights:

• [02:19:12]3 The biggest winner is Microsoft
    • They bought Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion
    • They gained access to popular franchises like Call of Duty, Overwatch, and Warcraft
    • They hope to revive Blizzard’s quality and reputation
  • [02:25:07]4 The biggest loser is Embracer
    • They overexpanded and ran out of capital
    • They had to cancel, sell, or shut down many projects and studios
    • They failed to deliver on their vision of being a major AA publisher
  • [02:28:54]5 The top 10 games of the year
    • Each host shares their personal list of the best games they played in 2023
    • Some of the games mentioned are Lethal Company, Lies of P, Ghost Runner 2, and Star Ocean: The Second Story R
    • They also give shout outs to some games they wish they had time for or finished

Top Bottom