• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Ellis (former member of Easy Allies and gametrailers) officially joins Last Stand Media

Having listened to it, it's notable how disillusioned Colin seems with modern AAA gaming. Almost all of his list was remakes and indie games emulating his childhood classics.

He talks shit about journalists not playing games but this is almost as bad. His reasons for skipping games like Star Wars and the Cyberpunk DLC, when he enjoyed the previous entry for both, just come across as stubborn.

Not to mention his complete disinterest in anything outside of Playstation. He claims to love metroidvanias but e.g. won't even check out Metroid Dread.

Obviously he's an amazing analyst of the industry itself but this episode clearly shows why the hiring of Brad is necessary.
Yeah, I mean to be fair modern AAA gaming is pretty bad, but Colin has always been a contrarian and it seems like he's constantly searching for the least popular opinion.

Like when triangle strategy was announced and he got a bunch of excited messages from fans about how they were making a new final fantasy tactics (a game he talked about frequently) but he managed to poopoo that for not being the exact same thing, like cmon.

I get bored by his lack of enthusiasm, it reminds me of the downward spiral of Jeff from giant bomb. Maybe it's inevitable getting burned out running a game media business, but Colin is smart enough to keep his empire churning by hiring passionate talent that perform well.

Fuck Greg, but there was a magic to the original podcast beyond with him and Colin. They played off each other so well like a classic comedy duo with Greg as the dumb clown and Colin as the straight man. His pessimism entertains when contrasted against a boisterous shill, I miss those days.

AmuroChan

He’s a diehard PlayStation fanboy in that he refuses to play any games not on PlayStation. By his own admission.

There's a difference between a fan and a fanboy. Colin is a fan of PlayStation, and it's his console of choice. And it's not true that he never plays anything outside of PS. He played Civilization on PC. He recently played through Halo 1-3 and recorded Knockback episodes on them. His coverage on PlayStation is not even remotely close to being fanboyish. He is consistently critical of PlayStation when they made dumb decisions.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Colin once tweeted about the unfairness of those who transition competing in womens sports. I believe this ended his time at Kinda Funny? He also went on Joe Rogan.

Both of these things made him satan to them and he started his own gaming media company.

The purples seem to love Easy Allies and I believe Brad was friends with Colin since before all the drama.

Easy Allies hasn't been doing great and are making cuts on their content. So Brad jumped shiped from them to Colin's company to earn a living.

I think it's something like that.
He was removed from Kinda Funny for making a dad joke on national women’s day.

MacReady13

His time at Kinda funny ended due to a women's day joke about women talking too much, it was a pretty mundane joke that you'd hear at any bar in America.
Those kind of lame dad jokes are all the rage now on tiktok videos and they do great numbers!
Colin's problem was, he said it when people needed someone to crucify and he was the right guy at the right place at the right time. He is (was) a republican and at that time political tensions were high with Trump right around the corner. Everyone came at him all cause they thought they were holier than thou, when we all know they are not. Especially considering the shit said on Kinda Funny by the other guys whilst Colin was still there and none of them were ever crucified like Colin was...

Funniest thing is, Colin is doing better than he ever has without the help of any of his "friends" and has proven time and time again that keeping it simple just fucking works. Guy has always had my respect for having his own point of view. I don't need to agree with any of his opinions- I don't give a fuck about shit like that. We don't need to agree to like people. People are allowed to have different opinions.

Doomtrain

You know, when era had "the completionist thread" open I posted about my mom, that she is probably with Alzheimer now. Nobody gave a shit to reply that.
Once in 2018 or 2019 I posted about historical inaccuracies on the Battlefield V trailer and got banned.
Fuck that place.

Really sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you guys are doing okay.

DeVeAn

One of the few at EZA I liked. He will thrive at LSM.

That other places bans for damn near anything that goes against their “ideals” Terrible place for discourse.

Senua

Was listening to the podcast, it's decent but lol I forgot how baffling Colin is with games.

He thought Immortals of Aveum was really great, for example.. but refuses to even try Baldur's Gate 3. Step out of your comfort zone for once man

AmuroChan

Was listening to the podcast, it's decent but lol I forgot how baffling Colin is with games.

He thought Immortals of Aveum was really great, for example.. but refuses to even try Baldur's Gate 3. Step out of your comfort zone for once man

BG3 is too far out of his comfort zone. Also, with the way he likes to play through RPGs, BG3 would drive him nuts. He will occasionally go out of his comfort zone. He played both Bloodborne and Elden Ring, and he was honest that those games just don't jive with him, which is fine.

He gets game recommendations from the LSM community all the time, but the fact is that he doesn't actually have that much free time to play all these games. So he's gotta be selective and he sticks to one platform. He's running a company, recording multiple podcasts every week, recently just got married, and is also working on two games with his indie studio.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I personally don't think anything Colin gets ripped for is even remotely offensive, and some of it I flat out agree with. But that woman joke especially. That was the most innocuous G rated joke I've ever seen. A complete nothing burger. Anyone who pretended to get offended by that(and pretend they did, on truth serum, no one actually was) was just pretending to flag wave or an excuse to attack Colin because they didn't like him. They are not people to be taken seriously on anything. What a joke that whole thing was.

If anything though, it did Colin a favor because anyone in the industry or his inner circle who came at him for that is not someone you want to associate with. A clear sign to steer way clear of them immediately. So in the end it kinda sorted itself out. If it wasn't for that, they'd have turned on him for something else down the road, and perhaps at a worse time. You do not want to befriend people who are easily offended or people who would turn on you over something small like that. No friend ever would. You can't keep people in your friend corner that you can't trust. And that situation revealed just how few people he could trust.

Last edited:

SNPlayen

That thread on Resetera had me in laughter. What a bunch of retards, it’s embarrassing, but par for the course. I need another troll account, last one got banned based on IP of previous banned account, but managed a few doozies like my comment on how Jedi Fallen should have a trans protagonist instead of cis white but won’t because fuck capitalism.

CashPrizes

I remember one time I was in EZA's live video chat about 2 years ago as they were watching a Sony State of Play I believe. I was talking about how trash the new Saints Row game looked, and I had multiple people in the chat jump down my throat about how I was a racist and just didn't like how the game looked because it was diverse....
Oh and then I made fun of them announcing Death Stranding Directors Cut and was like "Thanks for all the people who beta tested it /who bought it at launch" and they freaked out and told me to gtfo and banned me.....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember one time I was in EZA's live video chat about 2 years ago as they were watching a Sony State of Play I believe. I was talking about how trash the new Saints Row game looked, and I had multiple people in the chat jump down my throat about how I was a racist and just didn't like how the game looked because it was diverse....
Oh and then I made fun of them announcing Death Stranding Directors Cut and was like "Thanks for all the people who beta tested it /who bought it at launch" and they freaked out and told me to gtfo and banned me.....
Never played SR games, but from what I remember they were like B-tier GTA games that were over the top arcadey action. Googling them, the older games seemed to get good MC reviews of around 80/100.

All I remember from vids is the latest SR game is crazy colourful game like it's half Fortnite.

Should had stayed truer to the old games. GTA games take forever to come out, so anyone itching for something kind of similar, no need to make over the game in a crazy way.

Hohenheim

Been listening to the "Summon Signs" episode now. Good stuff!
I can't stand the vibe of most gaming podcasts (screaming, cringy trying to be funny-vibes like that awful "Kinda Funny" shit)

I really like LSM and their stuff, and it's one of the few I listen to on a regular basis, along with ACG.
Kudos to Karak Karak for actually focusing on celebrating GAMES and not all the toxic shit this industry sadly generates in many places, like Reset Era.

Speaking of that, I cannot believe how Colin M is some kind of demon in so many gamers eyes. What did this guy actually do to get so much hate?? And don't tell me it's all about that old tweet.. if so, that's beyond crazy.

Last edited:
Speaking of that, I cannot believe how Colin M is some kind of demon in so many gamers eyes. What did this guy actually do to get so much hate?? And don't tell me it's all about that old tweet.. if so, that's beyond crazy.
Succeeded when they wanted him to fail. They hate him more every time he adds another employee or show while all their favorites like Waypoint or Easy Allies fail. Just a reminder that they have no power and nobody cares what the loud minority thinks about anything.

kether

Neo Member
Hopefully this new show won't have an hour+ of complete nonsense unrelated to video games in the beginning like SS does. I no longer listen to that show on a regular basis because I couldn't care less about whatever the fuck they are talking about, and Colin refuses to give timestamps.

Hugare

Cringe Reaction GIF

I remember to this day his TLOU 10/10 review on IGN, getting me crazy hyped for the release

Havent consumed 1 minute of his LSM content, but back then he was cool.

Stubborn af sometimes with some shitty opinions (seems like he didnt change a bit), but I've always enjoyed his writting

Last edited:

Fbh

He is openly conservative in an industry where the only acceptable stance is to be very liberal and very far left.
The Tweet was just the excuse people were looking for to attack him and make him leave gaming media.

Also remember that the people on Era have a very narrow "you are either with us 100% on every single thing or you are the enemy" mentality. It doesn't matter if you agree with them on 9 out of 10 topics, if there's a single topic you disagree with you instantly turn into a bigot and a fascist.

Hohenheim

He is openly conservative in an industry where the only acceptable stance is to be very liberal and very far left.
The Tweet was just the excuse people were looking for to attack him and make him leave gaming media.

Also remember that the people on Era have a very narrow "you are either with us 100% on every single thing or you are the enemy" mentality. It doesn't matter if you agree with them on 9 out of 10 topics, if there's a single topic you disagree with you instantly turn into a bigot and a fascist.
Yeah, that forum seems batshit crazy.
I used to lurk there for some news years ago, but realized that something was very wrong there.
People obviously got banned for no good reason at all, and topics about certain games was off-limit for no good reason. When they started banning topics about Cyperpunk because of some drag/trans-in game commercial, I got out of there for good.
Crazy cult-vibes.

Can't really remember the gaming industry being like this "back in the day" (meaning the 90's), but who knows..
Glad it's still possible to enjoy good game-discussions without all that noise in front of it!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've noticed that all the people ResetERA hates, they really actively try to avoid their specific transgressions.

Pages and pages of "Colin is the devil. If you don't believe that then take your ban" but almost no talk of what he said or did.

Belonging to the club/religion/cult is all that matters. They don't really want to dissect and expose the facts.

Interfectum

Yup. And this is what other liberals in the industry are quickly learning. Gene Park, David Jaffe, etc all 'ousted' from the purple hair club because they dare challenge one or two ideals. These people are self absorbed psychopaths.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

AmuroChan

Yup. And this is what other liberals in the industry are quickly learning. Gene Park, David Jaffe, etc all 'ousted' from the purple hair club because they dare challenge one or two ideals. These people are self absorbed psychopaths.

Look how they lost their minds over JK Rowling. She was one of the most celebrated liberal at one point in time. Then she stepped out of line on the trans issue and now she's suddenly a transphobic nazi.

Interfectum

Look how they lost their minds over JK Rowling. She was one of the most celebrated liberal at one point in time. Then she stepped out of line on the trans issue and now she's suddenly a transphobic nazi.
These people are big on labels and identity. Their pronouns, their gender, their cult, their enemies. They even coined a new term for people like JK (TERF). Basically a term that means "we agree on 95% of the current political issues but you aren't trans friendly so you are a TERF ie Satan"

Roufianos

Playing games is purely about fun. Why would he play games he doesn't want to play? That defeats the purpose of gaming entirely. He's not a journalist anymore, he's a gamer who runs a gaming network.
That's why I'm saying the move is a good thing, let someone fill the void instead of Colin playing games he doesn't want to (though will probably enjoy).

TexMex

Nah. He's a PlayStation content guy so it makes sense. He talks shit about the brand constantly. You'd know this if you actually listened.

He does shit on the brand, that doesn't make him not a fanboy. Like the prior poster was saying, he refuses to play games anywhere else. By his own admission. He spoke to this yet again on the debut episode of the show this thread is about.

You'd know this if you actually listened.

AmuroChan

He does shit on the brand, that doesn't make him not a fanboy. Like the prior poster was saying, he refuses to play games anywhere else. By his own admission. He spoke to this yet again on the debut episode of the show this thread is about.

That's also not really true though. He rarely plays outside of PS, but he does sometimes. He played though Halo 1-3 last year and recorded Knockback episodes on them. he also played Civ VI on PC.

MacReady13

Yeah and? Who gives a fuck? There isn't much on Playstation that isn't on other consoles, plus he has other people that work for him that play other consoles/PC. Means fuck all to be honest. I know many that ONLY play on PC. Doesn't mean they're any less informative on gaming cause of it.

TexMex

That's also not really true though. He rarely plays outside of PS, but he does sometimes. He played though Halo 1-3 last year and recorded Knockback episodes on them. he also played Civ VI on PC.

He does that specifically for his show on extreme, extreme one off cases. I don't know what you guys are arguing, this is direct from his own mouth.

TexMex

Yeah and? Who gives a fuck? There isn't much on Playstation that isn't on other consoles, plus he has other people that work for him that play other consoles/PC. Means fuck all to be honest. I know many that ONLY play on PC. Doesn't mean they're any less informative on gaming cause of it.

To be clear - I'm a huge Colin fan and patron. You aren't following the conversation I'm replying to at all. No one made the claim that he is uninformed. It was specifically about that he is, by his own admission, a Playstation fanboy who refuses to play games anywhere else. This is something he has personally said, time and time again, including on the very first episode of this new show. Scroll up and catch up before your next totally unprovoked hostile reply.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anyone who refuses to play a game on another platform. Or refuse to play a game because of the platform its on, and is a full blown adult is definitely fucking weird. But bless Colin. Weird but worth listening to, even if you don't agree with everything he says or does.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone who refuses to play a game on another platform. Or refuse to play a game because of the platform its on, and is a full blown adult is definitely fucking weird. But bless Colin. Weird but worth listening to, even if ypu don't agree with everything ge says or does.
I respect opinionated people, because the whole point of having a conversation is to share opinions. As long as you're respectful most of the time, and can explain why you honestly think something (even if its batshit), then I have no issues with anyone. But yeah, it's been known for a very long time that Colin is a huge PS fanboy. That's literally his brand. You shouldn't expect 100% unbiased opinions, and he doesn't really promise that either. But if you just want to hear a discussion, he always is thoughtful and detailed.

Just in episode 1 his take on Nintendo games is pretty ridiculous. But like, that's his opinion and he can talk about it. Do I agree? Absolutely not. But he will explain how he thinks about it if you want something to listen to.

AmuroChan

He does that specifically for his show on extreme, extreme one off cases. I don't know what you guys are arguing, this is direct from his own mouth.

The argument is that by the very content of his own shows, he is clearly not someone who defends Sony's every action and thinks they can do no wrong. Sure, he can call himself a "fanboy", but it's also true that he routinely criticizes Sony on the show, which is not something console warrior fanboys would ever do to their own side.

Also, every game he plays, whether on PS or otherwise, is for his shows since they have a segment every week to talk about games they played. He played some Holocaust game on Steam recently and he talked about it on Sacred, even though that game isn't even on PS.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'd call him stubborn, lazy or just annoying for refusing to play on other systems but I don't think that alone is enough to qualify someone as a fanboy. Fanboys will generally blindly defend a brand, love everything they do and release, deflect criticism or do mental gymnastics to give them a positive twist, etc.
Colin is often critical of Sony as a compay and the products they release. On this same podcast they go over their top 10 games of the year and Colin didn't even include Spider Man 2, the one proper first party Sony game of the year, while he had stuff like Robocop and Immortals of Aveum in there. That doesn't fit with the definition of a fanboy that I thought I understood

TexMex

I respect opinionated people, because the whole point of having a conversation is to share opinions. As long as you're respectful most of the time, and can explain why you honestly think something (even if its batshit), then I have no issues with anyone. But yeah, it's been known for a very long time that Colin is a huge PS fanboy. That's literally his brand. You shouldn't expect 100% unbiased opinions, and he doesn't really promise that either. But if you just want to hear a discussion, he always is thoughtful and detailed.

Just in episode 1 his take on Nintendo games is pretty ridiculous. But like, that's his opinion and he can talk about it. Do I agree? Absolutely not. But he will explain how he thinks about it if you want something to listen to.

Agree on most all counts. I don't listen to Colin because I agree with everything he says, I listen because at the very least, he's always sincere - which is oddly hard to come by these days. He is also the first to admit those quirks usually, and has cultivated a network of shows that represent gaming from all angles so he isn't pushing his agenda on anyone either.

Listen to Defining Duke - those guys are off the reservation half the time and I think Colin disagrees with them top to bottom. But it's their show and he doesn't stop it in any way. They even have guests on who he openly can't stand like Jeff Grubb. He does stand by most things he says when it would be easy to let his own personal bias be all over Last Stand and he doesn't which I appreciate.

TexMex

I'd call him stubborn, lazy or just annoying for refusing to play on other systems but I don't think that alone is enough to qualify someone as a fanboy. Fanboys will generally blindly defend a brand, love everything they do and release, deflect criticism or do mental gymnastics to give them a positive twist, etc.
Colin is often critical of Sony as a compay and the products they release. On this same podcast they go over their top 10 games of the year and Colin didn't even include Spider Man 2, the one proper first party Sony game of the year, while he had stuff like Robocop and Immortals of Aveum in there. That doesn't fit with the definition of a fanboy that I thought I understood

I don't think not wanting to play games anywhere else makes you stubborn or lazy, and I think it's a big tenant of being a fanboy. I do however agree with you that another big piece of that is blind defense of a brand which he of course does not do which is a perfectly fair point.

Reactions: Fbh

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

He admitted on this very episode that he played through halo 1 and 2 this year. On xbox. Try listening harder next time.

Edit: already addressed. He also owns a switch and has a steam account. Addressed in this very episode. You don't have a point.

Last edited:

TexMex

He admitted on this very episode that he played through halo 1 and 2 this year. On xbox. Try listening harder next time.

Exception proving the rule. I'm literally repeating to you what he said, and you are arguing against it. I think you know the difference between someone who "plays games on all platforms" and someone who played a 20 year old game on a one off scenario because he was hosting a retro podcast about it. I mean they talk about this at length.

Last edited:
Top Bottom