• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

rybrad

How is hard mode in this game? I have heard mixed reviews on the balancing in hard mode and being forced to go overly defensive. I tend to prefer to play games that I enjoy on hard since it forces you to fully learn and utilize all the systems in the game but not if it is a tedious slog.

Wired's review of BD is positively glowing. And the title of their newest podcast is "Why You Should Go Play Bravely Default This Instant." Congrats to SE.

haha the top comment

top comment said:
reviewer said:
I certainly have no idea why it is titled Bravely Default, two words that have previously only ever been uttered in sequence by someone who, at that moment, was having a stroke.
Now I understand how Ted Cruz came up with his position on the debt ceiling.

KHlover

Banned
So wait,
6-7-8 make you refight the same bosses again? No plot spoilers please.
Yes. But 7 and 8 puts the bosses in groups and has some awesome dialogue. Much better than 5 and 6, more challenging as well

@grinding

Arcanist/Black Mage with

Target All (was a Black Mage support ability, I think)

StatusEffect+ (Arcanist support ability)

Death-All (Death is Black Magic LV6 iirc, with target all you...yea can do what the name says, that is use single target spells on the entire group at once)

is the best way to grind.

Or the Conjurer's Support Ability Exterminante (Auslöschen in German) which will simply kill all enemies which are a certain level below yours at the start of the battle automatically.

Go to Florem. Get tons of XP, JP and monies.

frogg609

I preordered my CE version from Amazon on December 6th. It's still saying:

DELIVERY ESTIMATE We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Anyone else still have this?

KHlover

Banned
I heard Chapter 7 Victoria is quite hilarious, what about in chapter 8
iirc in Chapter 8 she's in a group with Quada and Lord Lester. Victoria and Quada are their blood-lusty selves in this Chapter, so Lester asks himself if Braev paired him up with them as a punishment. There also was a battle with her before that I think, but I can't remember her group atm.

Gambit

So wait,
6-7-8 make you refight the same bosses again? No plot spoilers please.

Just so you know, don't do the sidequests in chapter 5 for the plot. It's so miniscule it's not worth it. The only reason to do them is the battle system. If you really enjoy it, then these optional fights are great, but not for the plot.

In chapter 6, it's the same, but you can earn the final job in the game, which is its own reward.

It's slightly better in chapter 7, which also mixes up the fights. Chapter 8's sidequests are post-game content. I did them before the final boss, but they are much harder.

Having gone through them all, I would now recommend to anyone to move past chapter 5 as quickly as possible, get the job in 6, quickly move past 7, finish the game, and then do 8's sidequests.

I know there is a demo thread dead somewhere and I have generally been on media blackout so what better to do than to head into a minefield of spoilers but, experienced players (at least player who know the controls) are best to ask re: this.

My demo appears to soft lock in battle quite often. What happens is I select my actions. The enemy starts to do something (animation stars to play, text box at top appears but no text yet) and everything stops. Music continues to play, I can press the Y button to make the word auto appear and vanish and I notice in bottom right corner a pause button is flashing.

This makes me hope I've hit a button to pause the battle (likely, I am a bit of a masher). Pressing buttons does not seem to unpause (maybe I missed some or it is a combination that is required here). I would look at a manual only this demo doesn't have one (nice one, NOE). So how do I unpause?

In the event of it being impossible, I've not tried L+R+S to see if soft reset works yet (I'm not wasting another use if it is easily preventable and that fails) but if it does at worst I could soldier through saving after every battle and using encounter -100% for sanity to achieve that.

p.s. the streetpass icon is from the Japanese version; it says for the sequel (the pixels seem to be a 3-3-6 pattern)

FryHole

I know there is a demo thread dead somewhere and I have generally been on media blackout so what better to do than to head into a minefield of spoilers but, experienced players (at least player who know the controls) are best to ask re: this.

My demo appears to soft lock in battle quite often. What happens is I select my actions. The enemy starts to do something (animation stars to play, text box at top appears but no text yet) and everything stops. Music continues to play, I can press the Y button to make the word auto appear and vanish and I notice in bottom right corner a pause button is flashing.

This makes me hope I've hit a button to pause the battle (likely, I am a bit of a masher). Pressing buttons does not seem to unpause (maybe I missed some or it is a combination that is required here). I would look at a manual only this demo doesn't have one (nice one, NOE). So how do I unpause?

In the event of it being impossible, I've not tried L+R+S to see if soft reset works yet (I'm not wasting another use if it is easily preventable and that fails) but if it does at worst I could soldier through saving after every battle and using encounter -100% for sanity to achieve that.

p.s. the streetpass icon is from the Japanese version; it says for the sequel (the pixels seem to be a 3-3-6 pattern)

It looks like you've pressed left on the dpad to pause the battle animations. Left and right slow down/speed up the battle animations - all the way left pauses completely including a pause icon. Press right to carry on.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was a long side quest. Probably not even going to use the job I got from it.

Gottacatchemall

Sputtid

Banned
Well, my last session was pretty humbling.
I tried to beat the nemesis
Mammon
on normal with my characters being one or two levels above the requirement. I rocked a generic party of one dark mage, one healer and two melee fighters. It started of well, then as I chipped away at its health
its Death Claw ability started to do an insane amount of damage
to a point where there was absolutely no way to avoid two of my characters getting killed per turn.

I'm thinking about what I did wrong. Do Nemeses battles usually require you to completely finetune your job setup for the needs of that one fight? Are they just a big difficulty spike compared to the main quest? Or do you actually need to be well above the level requirement to beat them?

-Horizon-

DELIVERY ESTIMATE We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Raises hand

Contact amazon. unless you want it to not be delivered the day of.

Mammon
on normal with my characters being one or two levels above the requirement. I rocked a generic party of one dark mage, one healer and two melee fighters. It started of well, then as I chipped away at its health
to a point where there was absolutely no way to avoid two of my characters getting killed per turn.

I'm thinking about what I did wrong. Do Nemeses battles usually require you to completely finetune your job setup for the needs of that one fight? Are they just a big difficulty spike compared to the main quest? Or do you actually need to be well above the level requirement to beat them?

You'll have to do this if you're fighting them at the minimum level recommended. Are you dispelling his buffs? That'll help a lot. And never go below 1 Brave in case he drains BP.

Mononoke

Banned
What?! You should've bought Link Between Worlds months ago! :p

It's actually a good way to pass the time.

Darn Nintendo and Friday releases!

This has been one of the worst releases for me. The wait between the original release for the rest of the world and NA has been awful. And the final nail in the coffin is having to wait till Friday.

hamchan

This has been one of the worst releases for me. The wait between the original release for the rest of the world and NA has been awful. And the final nail in the coffin is having to wait till Friday.

Welcome to what PAL land feels all the time! :p

Velcro Fly

Not only did we have to go through it with the demo but with the full release too.

Not the end of the world. I know EU is suffering with no SMT4 and waited awhile for Fire Emblem too. I can definitely be patient so long as I eventually get what I ordered from Amazon!

Sputtid

Banned
You'll have to do this if you're fighting them at the minimum level recommended. Are you dispelling his buffs? That'll help a lot. And never go below 1 Brave in case he drains BP.

Thanks! Then I'm gonna wait a little bit as my job progress is still pretty puny. Hell, I don't even have any dispelling magic yet.

Zornica

Banned
We had to wait a couple months for Fire Emblem

so what? they had to wait a year for xenoblade, tls and even longer for pandora . and at least 3 years for inazuma eleven... and there were many other examples like that in the past few years.
I'd say it's pretty evened out now. Sometimes we get to wait, sometimes they get to wait

and slowly but surely I am really getting sick of Europeans playing the victim all the time when it's factually not true any more (atlus excluded).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
On Amazon.com

Bravely Default - 12th
Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 13th

Happening bunker?

Mammon

I wasted Mammon at Level 25, but I already beat the game so I had experience. Abate fire helps loads since Firaja is its main source of damage.

The other nemeses can be a bit iffy. Level 99 Asmodeus and Beelzebub are proving quite tricky; I have a feeling Asmodeus can't be beaten without ONE broken combo.

I've been powering my way through the game and earlier got to Victor and Victoria.
They obliterated me! The first time I've been defeated so far.
I tried again and lost again.
I tried again..... and lost again!
I've passed them now but reconsidering my entire party/job set-up.

Does the game get notably harder after this point?

so what? they had to wait a year for xenoblade, tls and even longer for pandora . and at least 3 years for inazuma eleven... and there were many other examples like that in the past few years.
I'd say it's pretty evened out now. Sometimes we get to wait, sometimes they get to wait

and slowly but surely I am really getting sick of Europeans playing the victim all the time when it's factually not true any more (atlus excluded).

I'd say we have it better in Europe now than the US and have done for a little while. We even get better box arts too!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
*happening intensifies*
....but shit wouldn't the 360 version actually do something out here in the west

Ok, let's include 360 SKU as well.

Bravely Default - 12th

Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
PS3 - 14th
360 - 85th

Happening bunker upgraded.

Sputtid

Banned
I wasted Mammon at Level 25, but I already beat the game so I had experience. Abate fire helps loads since Firaja is its main source of damage.

The other nemeses can be a bit iffy. Level 99 Asmodeus and Beelzebub are proving quite tricky; I have a feeling Asmodeus can't be beaten without ONE broken combo.

I can usually tank its Blizzaja, now Death Claw on the other hand...
On I slightly different note, my only gripe with the game is just how much it gives you free hand in shaping the difficulty. Just like at the nemesis fight, I'm constantly questioning myself whether I'm playing it right. Changing the difficulty from normal to hard then back all the time because I want random encounters to be a challange and not just cannon fodder but I also don't want to struggle too much with evil tree #344. It's not the game's fault though. I'm just weak.

Top Bottom