• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Lamptramp

Took a drunken punt on a 3DS XL at new year and can honestly say that its entertained me much more than I thought it would.

This game though, really enjoyed the demo and 6 hours into the game proper my enjoyment doesn't look like waning any time soon. Especially with me commuting more and more, great little way to spend the train ride to Waterloo.

Quick question though, is my understanding correct that the characters are largely uniform in stats i.e. Tiz could be as effective a mage as Agnes if their job levels were the same or is there still a behind the scenes preference?

Oh and took the liberty of adding some of the UK guys from the friendslist on page 1, if my details aren't up soon, they're in my profile.

zroid

Banned
this is great

tnpdm00.png

L~A

this is great

tnpdm00.png

To be honest, I prefer the one about the friends. It ends like that :

No friends for afar? Ouch...

:p

Ok, I'm at the final area, during the true ending. I think I need some help :p

Against Airy, final form. She freaking caught me off-guard at one point with her "special attack that makes you weak to all elements > fire attack" combo. Actually managed to avoid it several times, but just that one time, she catches me off-guard....

So yeah, any advice, tip, recommended job/abilities?

daycru

Playing the demo now. I bought a few spells, but they are greyed out in the menu. Can I not teach fire to a black mage?

L~A

Playing the demo now. I bought a few spells, but they are greyed out in the menu. Can I not teach fire to a black mage?

You can only use those spells in battle. If they're greyed out even in the battle menu, that means your character job level isn't enough.

KHlover

Banned
To be honest, I prefer the one about the friends. It ends like that :

Ok, I'm at the final area, during the true ending. I think I need some help :p

Against Airy, final form. She freaking caught me off-guard at one point with her "special attack that makes you weak to all elements > fire attack" combo. Actually managed to avoid it several times, but just that one time, she catches me off-guard....

So yeah, any advice, tip, recommended job/abilities?
Spiritmaster. You pretty much can't lose the fight with a Spiritmaster in your team.

you know, it's too bad the AI in later chapters isn't upgraded to actually pose a threat

imagine if Victor trolled you with Stillness in chapter 7/8

L~A

Spiritmaster. You pretty much can't lose the fight with a Spiritmaster in your team.

Ok, that's what I'm going to do then. Read a couple of guides that said to use a Spiritmaster, and this confirms it's the right thing to do. Back to grinding then, I guess :)

also

Banned
I've been powering my way through the game and earlier got to Victor and Victoria.
They obliterated me! The first time I've been defeated so far.
I tried again and lost again.
I tried again..... and lost again!
I've passed them now but reconsidering my entire party/job set-up.

Does the game get notably harder after this point?
That fight was a difficulty spike, the next two will be much easier. Fighting multiple bosses at once is always much harder and those two mostly rely on undodgeable magical attacks so you can't abuse usutsemi + turn tables. I had a hard time until I turned their attacks against them;
I used special moves to make them weak to poison and subsequently poisoned them, while also making myself immune, so that Victoria's exterminate would only damage herself and Victor

also

Banned
What does adjusting the difficulty level do? Do you get more experience?

No, the only difference is that the enemies have more HP and stronger attacks. All you get is bragging rights in the Western version while in the JP version you can unlock a special costume for Agnes if you beat the game from start to finish on hard mode.

Amazon is so weird. So my Delivery Estimate finally updated for Bravely Default, and it had Feb. 11th for some reason (I have Prime shipping atm and on games, free 2 day shipping = release day delivery in most cases). So I just updated my payment info and now it says estimated delivery is Feb 7th (release day). So uh... okay. I'll take it, but not sure what causes that. xD

No, the only difference is that the enemies have more HP and stronger attacks. All you get is bragging rights in the Western version while in the JP version you can unlock a special costume for Agnes if you beat the game from start to finish on hard mode.

What the... that's really lame. Do we just not get the costume at all? Like is it available elsewhere in the game in the Western release? I wish the game had some sort of reward for beating it on Hard (besides the bragging rights of course).

-Horizon-

Amazon is so weird. So my Delivery Estimate finally updated for Bravely Default, and it had Feb. 11th for some reason (I have Prime shipping atm and on games, free 2 day shipping = release day delivery in most cases). So I just updated my payment info and now it says estimated delivery is Feb 7th (release day). So uh... okay. I'll take it, but not sure what causes that. xD

What the... that's really lame. Do we just not get the costume at all? Like is it available elsewhere in the game in the Western release? I wish the game had some sort of reward for beating it on Hard (besides the bragging rights of course).

At least yours updated. Mine is still at "We need a little more time"

-Horizon-

Good luck. :/ You'd think they would send out the emails (saying your game now has a delivery estimate) all at the same time, but from what I can tell, they go out in waves.

Tears will be shed if I miss out on them thighs.

Seriously though, I don't even care if I get the game late, I just want the CE.

also

Banned
You can't obtain it, but Edea gets the exact same one and that you can get.
Anyway, the costume in question is.... uh... questionable, so you may not even want it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGHImswGLyQ
Do note that the Western version is a little censored.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745165

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sigh* I finally got around to finishing the demo a few days ago (was able to beat the turtle boss & then finish everything else) & even was lucky to get a few villagers to carry over to the full game. After thinking it over, I figured the CE would be worth it especially for some of that music that I could listen to in the car. Sadly (part of its my fault for waiting) after working my budget out & trading stuff in, GameStop said they're not taking any more pre-orders for the LE. Nothing on Amazon either....

I assume the LE has been sold out/unavailable for quite some time & no chance of another shipment happening?

you're late :(. Best chance is to wait till release day and see if it pops up in stock at BB, Amazon or GS.
Guess I could head in after class on Friday which is right when they open & ask them if they got any extras.

I assume the LE has been sold out/unavailable for quite some time & no chance of another shipment happening?

As far as I know (AFAIK), Amazon has notably had low supplies, with the page sporadically allowing pre-orders. GameStop has had more stock, and until today Best Buy had it. I was considering getting the LE, and decided to order it today rather than last night (when it was in stock). Welp, a day late.

It's probably for the best, not quite sure why I felt compelled to get the LE, even though I don't plan on playing it for a while. I've got a pretty big backlog these days, including two 3DS standouts of last year, Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As far as I know (AFAIK), Amazon has notably had low supplies, with the page sporadically allowing pre-orders. GameStop has had more stock, and until today Best Buy had it. I was considering getting the LE, and decided to order it today rather than last night (when it was in stock). Welp, a day late.

It's probably for the best, not quite sure why I felt compelled to get the LE, even though I don't plan on playing it for a while. I've got a pretty big backlog these days, including two 3DS standouts of last year, Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV.
I checked Best Buy & yeah, they were out as well. & I was taking that into consideration as well, considering I've got not only FE:A & SMT4, but Soul Hackers from Black Friday. If I don't get it, ah well, guess I can wait for a sale while I'm busy working on backlog & college stuff. Not to mention I might have $80 in credit (now I need to decide if the Tales of Symphonia LE is worth it...), so money isn't an issue.

antibolo

Banned
Heads-up to all Canadians! It appears that Future Shop and Best Buy (Canada) are still taking pre-orders for the CE! Just placed an order at Future Shop (for delivery).

That fight was a difficulty spike, the next two will be much easier. Fighting multiple bosses at once is always much harder and those two mostly rely on undodgeable magical attacks so you can't abuse usutsemi + turn tables. I had a hard time until I turned their attacks against them;
I used special moves to make them weak to poison and subsequently poisoned them, while also making myself immune, so that Victoria's exterminate would only damage herself and Victor

Victor and Victoria?
just grab Reflect Rings and kill off Victoria, Victor is a chump on his own

Ahhhh in comparison to how I won the fight these solutions are so..... classy!
Cheers guys I'll know for next time, definitely plan on running through this again pretty soon.

Tom_Cody

Thanks.

Thanks for the tip! I also noticed that mine was coming on the 11th, and changing my payment option moved it to the 7th as well. I thought maybe it was because I had pre-ordered a CE or something. Good thing I thought to check the thread.

so how many people have beaten that special Nemesis with 9999 physical defense or whatever?

it seems like watching meteors fall for 10 straight minutes is the way to go in that fight

so how many people have beaten that special Nemesis with 9999 physical defense or whatever?

it seems like watching meteors fall for 10 straight minutes is the way to go in that fight

There's another strategy done by a fellow GAFers, but I can't remember which page that post is

Just played a little bit of the demo. How many times can you default and what's the max number of braves you can do in one turn? I got up to four. Still wrapping my head around this one but I'm enjoying it a lot. I miss turn based so much.

kiryogi

Banned
Ahhhh in comparison to how I won the fight these solutions are so..... classy!
Cheers guys I'll know for next time, definitely plan on running through this again pretty soon.

That's actually a pretty easy fight if you null poison before hand as that's the biggest threat. Afterwards yeah, Victor is a joke.

Just played a little bit of the demo. How many times can you default and what's the max number of braves you can do in one turn? I got up to four. Still wrapping my head around this one but I'm enjoying it a lot. I miss turn based so much.
Follow demo player here (entered wrong thread) so I might be slightly inaccurate. You can default as much as you like; it is basically a defend option with a reward of gaining +1 BP whenever you use it. You can only build up BP to +3 though. BP can go as low as -3. BP is recovered by 1 point at the end of each turn. You need to have BP of 0 or higher at the start of a turn in order to act.

I never did try getting BP to +3 and seeing if I could Brave 6 times.

Follow demo player here (entered wrong thread) so I might be slightly inaccurate. You can default as much as you like; it is basically a defend option with a reward of gaining +1 BP whenever you use it. You can only build up BP to +3 though. BP can go as low as -3. BP is recovered by 1 point at the end of each turn. You need to have BP of 0 or higher at the start of a turn in order to act.

nah you can only brave 4 times, also you can go down to -4 BP

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

You can only Brave 4 times as usual despite having a +3 BP. I tried during the demo's post game boss. Not sure if that's different in the full game, though.

Effect

Did the collectors edition ever go up for sale on Amazon.com? Or even NewEgg? I've been waiting. I don't believe I missed it if it did.

zroid

Banned
But I think you can, for example, get your BP to +3 and then use a move like Crescent Moon four times, whereas if you started at 0, it would end your turn after two.

But I think you can, for example, get your BP to +3 and then use a move like Crescent Moon four times, whereas if you started at 0, it would end your turn after two.

well, yes (only 3 times though)
good thing Einheria doesn't actually do that though!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Amazon.com, as of 16:50 GMT

Bravely Default - 7th

Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
PS3 - 9th
360 - 61st

Happening leveling up.

Mononoke

Banned
Welcome to what PAL land feels all the time! :p

I know, I shouldn't complain. My interests lately have been shifting more towards games that are released later in NA. So it's been bumming me out a lot more often. I'm starting to know how you guys feel. =/

Lombax

Banned
Quick Question:

Do the villagers you get via street pass in the demo move over to the full game along with all the other stuff you unlock?

Thank you.

Top Bottom