• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

Well, in terms of videogames, I heard word that a Japanese publisher might build operations in Brazil, but I don't know in which state...

Platy

Ubisoft tried already. It obviously failed. lolz

How could it not fail ?

They gave orders for then to make "Imagine : Detective" for the DS =P

IMAGINE !!!!
You know .. the "babyz" series ?

So they did this and another game and closed the studio before the other game came out.

The other game was the DS version of Michael Jackson game, that sold MUCH better than the Imagine one because it is a game that people aren't afraid to buy =P

Today from the people that worked there, there is even people working on Blizzard right now ...

[edit]
The Braizilian developer powerforce is HUGE ... but the problem is that the market don't receive ANY money =/
So we have lots of brazilian developers working for overseas studios ... like that UK studio that grabbed the Last Guardian producer

Zeroth

To the government, the game industry here is basically TecToy. There are no incentives to keep professionals here or to make the local consumers support the national market. Which is quite a shame, everyone would win with less taxes and more incentives.

LuuKyK

How could it not fail ?

They gave orders for then to make "Imagine : Detective" for the DS =P

IMAGINE !!!!
You know .. the "babyz" series ?

So they did this and another game and closed the studio before the other game came out.

The other game was the DS version of Michael Jackson game, that sold MUCH better than the Imagine one because it is a game that people aren't afraid to buy =P

Today from the people that worked there, there is even people working on Blizzard right now ...

[edit]
The Braizilian developer powerforce is HUGE ... but the problem is that the market don't receive ANY money =/
So we have lots of brazilian developers working for overseas studios ... like that UK studio that grabbed the Last Guardian producer

I consider the MJ game quite a big one. Didn't know about that. I am actually impressed they delegated such a big game to the brazilian studio.

Edit: Oh, it was just the DS version, nvm. But still. Better than Imagine, really. hahaha

Ezalc

BrazilGAF I'm thinking of becoming an interpreter here. I feel like my english is good enough for this but, hilariously, my Portuguese isn't that great. I want to do some sort of a course to try and better the speed of which I translate and all of that. People here have some pretty good English so I'm wondering if anybody knows somebody who did/does something similar or has done it themselves or etc.

I am currently, well trying to, learn Portuguese to translate/ make a living in Brazil. I know there are some business hiring translators.

DD

BrazilGAF I'm thinking of becoming an interpreter here. I feel like my english is good enough for this but, hilariously, my Portuguese isn't that great. I want to do some sort of a course to try and better the speed of which I translate and all of that. People here have some pretty good English so I'm wondering if anybody knows somebody who did/does something similar or has done it themselves or etc.
Sorry, no idea... =P

I am currently, well trying to, learn Portuguese to translate/ make a living in Brazil. I know there are some business hiring translators.
Where are you from?

Where are you from?

California

Among famous Brazilians, I wold very much like to meet this man

Eder_Jofre_-_mostra_cinturo_AMB_-_Tom_Dib.jpg

Guri

Ubisoft, Warner, Microsoft and Sony are strong here on the publishing side. There are a lot of indie studios too (like my own)!

red13th

Well it is essential to have native English speakers translate Portuguese into English since the opposite more often than not yields disastrous results, so I'd say you should look for work in Brazilian companies.

Guri

Awesome ! =D

What it is called ?

It's called Give me Five. We're still small (only 3, straight from our university). So far, we've developed two advergames. One for the presidential campaign in 2010 (which has generated quite a buzz for our surprise, including CNN) and a game to a campaign that aims to reduce taxes for games in 2011. They're playable on the site (Flash games, but only "Jogo Justo" is translated to English) and we've learned a lot from them and using the feedback to our next project.

DD

It's called Give me Five. We're still small (only 3, straight from our university). So far, we've developed two advergames. One for the presidential campaign in 2010 (which has generated quite a buzz for our surprise, including CNN) and a game to a campaign that aims to reduce taxes for games in 2011. They're playable on the site (Flash games, but only "Jogo Justo" is translated to English) and we've learned a lot from them and using the feedback to our next project.

Cool, I wish you great success, but why the hell are you still supporting that crap of Acigames? o_ô

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I will be in Sao Paulo Tueday morning for the trade show. Big city, eh?

Any recommendations? I'm on business but we go out at night.

The Judge

For bars, I'd say go to the neighborhoods of Moema, Vila Olímpia or Itaim Bibi. There's a bunch of good ones.
The Wall Street Bar is pretty cool with its gimmick of price fluctuations of the drinks during the night depending on the demand for it, imitating a stock exchange, complete with crashes and all. (Itaim Bibi)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I take it from the fact that you're on business that you're not willing to party hard, so I'd recommend visiting either Rua Oscar Freire (which has some cool chill bars and nice restaurants - Gero being my favorite) or Vila Madalena, a neighborhood filled with a million different bars of all kinds.

Guri

Cool, I wish you great success, but why the hell are you still supporting that crap of Acigames? o_ô

I know what you're talking about. That misunderstanding with Steam, right? Trust me, and I wouldn't say this if it wasn't true, they would never do something like that. There are people who could do, but not Acigames. None of them have the power to change something. Moacyr is a good friend of mine too, and I know the efforts he's been making. If I could tell you how many sacrifices he had to make, you would be surprised. Some things I couldn't believe myself. But we are supporting them and helping with suggestions whenever possible.

DD

Brazil is not a third world country.
No? o_o'

I know what you're talking about. That misunderstanding with Steam, right? Trust me, and I wouldn't say this if it wasn't true, they would never do something like that. There are people who could do, but not Acigames. None of them have the power to change something. Moacyr is a good friend of mine too, and I know the efforts he's been making. If I could tell you how many sacrifices he had to make, you would be surprised. Some things I couldn't believe myself. But we are supporting them and helping with suggestions whenever possible.
Moacyr is not the hero we need right now, but the one we deserve.

Zeroth

Technically we're more advanced than many countries which would easily fall into the third world category, though due to it being a outdated category it's not really a reflection of reality nowadays. It's easier to classify Brazil using the "Development" system, where we fall as "Developing country", which would be the middle category. We still have some serious social problems, but there's no denying we've advanced a lot in the past decades.

Moacyr is not the hero we need right now, but the one we deserve.

I certainly support anyone who stands up for the horrible taxation over here. Moacyr has been getting a lot of flak for simply trying to do what no one tried before (actually talk to the politicians who can change this), and due to the natural association we have for anyone close to politicians, many people already saw him in a bad light much before the steam incident, which only worsened his popularity among the more hardcore groups.

Funny enough, the PC gamers that complain have little reason to support Jogo Justo to start with, since PC games are already taxed differently from console games. I guess the rivalry between PC gamers and console gamers also played some part in the whole situation.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I certainly support anyone who stands up for the horrible taxation over here. Moacyr has been getting a lot of flak for simply trying to do what no one tried before (actually talk to the politicians who can change this), and due to the natural association we have for anyone close to politicians, many people already saw him in a bad light much before the steam incident, which only worsened his popularity among the more hardcore groups.

Funny enough, the PC gamers that complain have little reason to support Jogo Justo to start with, since PC games are already taxed differently from console games. I guess the rivalry between PC gamers and console gamers also played some part in the whole situation.

I don't see how he's standing up against the horrible taxation by supporting taxation.

He's a prick.

Guri

I don't see how he's standing up against the horrible taxation by supporting taxation.

He's a prick.

The thing is that Steam could be taxed by the government so it could be officially used here. The same thing happened to Nuuvem, XOGO and other digital stores. I'm not really worried about the taxes that could be applied to Steam, but how it happens. If they are low, which ACIGAMES is trying to do, we won't see a price change. In fact, if it's the same of Nuuvem (or lower), it's great. It's cheaper than in America.

Guess we will have to wait and see. I think Steam will be taxed eventually. Let's hope it will be a good percentage for us as consumers.

DD

There's IOF tax already over Steam sales, which was tripled by the president few months ago. What else this guy want? Protect his business partner (UZ Games), I bet...

And it's not just the "misunderstanding". Moacyr is simply an idiot that took that Steam matter (not meeting with him) as personal, which is ridiculous.

I had a website some time ago and we made an interview with him. The guy can't even write in decent portuguese. How the fuck can someone trust that guy to meet and convince politicians and executives about our cause?

clemenx

Banned

Third world is too much of a broad term, now that a good bunch of the countries that were when the term was originated have progressed. For example, I wouldn't consider any South American country as 3rd World (Sans Bolivia, and sadly, Venezuela if Chavez wins again)

That's why people use "Developing Country" now, as Zeroth Point Break said.

DD

Somebody mind explaining this whole Moacyr thing? First time I'm hearing about it.
Console games are ridiculously overpriced here because of taxes. So this Moacyr guy appeared from nowhere and started a campaign called "Jogo Justo" ("Fair Game", in english), to fight for fair taxes over consoles and it's games. Tired of paying 100/150 dollars for old games, everybody started supporting him, and he became somewhat famous because of that. Then he started his own consulting company called Acigames with a guy called Marcos (owner of one of the biggest gaming stores franchise around here [think about GameStop, but much much smaller]).

As I said, I had a gaming website some time ago and we interviewed this Moacyr guy, and the guy can't even express himself properly, he don't even know how to write in plain portuguese!

Later on, this Moacyr guy started approaching to politicians, and now he's working for the government.

Because of the absurd prices, lots of people prefer import their games from different countries. So Acigames did a survey on their website to find out how people were buying games, which stores, etc. Suddenly all the packages began to be retained on the airports for months, and those imported games were taxed absurdly. So what he basically did was to fuck the people who suported him in first place, and helping his business partner.

I know it's not cool avoiding paying taxes, but the brazilian taxes are so absurd that people were trying to find a way to support the game producers with this loophole without having to go back with the piracy.

So people were already pissed at him because of that.

So, Moacyr went to Gamescon sometime ago (before he joined the government) and decided to meet the guys of Valve/Steam, to talk about opening Steam servers here in Brazil, and paying local taxes, etc. But it doesn't work like that! You don't simply request a meeting with Gabe Newell out of the blue and expect him to come over in the middle of the motherfuckin' Gamescon. So a woman scheduled a meeting AFTER all the other meetings on the last day of conference (fuck, she doesn't even had to schedule a meeting with Moacyr in first place, but she did), and the jerk took that as an offense. He was in line waiting to be received, but then (I don't know if it was the same person) someone appeared saying that the meeting was canceled (for whatever reason). So Moacyr take that as a personal matter and when he joined the government, he said that he was trying to create a special tax to fuck the Steam. Now I ask you: how stupid is that?! People got mad at him (even Nuuvem, a brazilian Steam competitor) decided to cut their support over Acigames. He said that clearly in an interview, and later he tryed to justify saying that he didn't meant that. WHAT THE FUCK? His message was crystal clear on the interview. LOL

EDIT: but the idiot didn't even know that Steam do have servers in Brazil, and that there are taxes over their sales. So that's the kind of jerk we're talking about.

Now everybody thinks that all he wants is to fuck up with Steam and imported games to strengthen his business partner position on the market.

PS: Sorry if there's something wrong with my post. I've never wrote so much in english before. =P

DD

Third world is too much of a broad term, now that a good bunch of the countries that were when the term was originated have progressed. For example, I wouldn't consider any South American country as 3rd World (Sans Bolivia, and sadly, Venezuela if Chavez wins again)

That's why people use "Developing Country" now, as Zeroth Point Break said.

Not trying to discuss the meaning of "3rd world country", but it is a fact that Brazil is waaaaaay behind USA in all the aspects that matter, like violence, schools, etc. the only good thing that we have and they don't is the free health care system, but since it doesn't work properly, in the end they aren't that far behind in it. =P

I'm just beeing realistic.

Is there a way to change my nickname here?
icon_redface.gif

Guri

There's IOF tax already over Steam sales, which was tripled by the president few months ago. What else this guy want? Protect his business partner (UZ Games), I bet...

And it's not just the "misunderstanding". Moacyr is simply an idiot that took that Steam matter (not meeting with him) as personal, which is ridiculous.

I had a website some time ago and we made an interview with him. The guy can't even write in decent portuguese. How the fuck can someone trust that guy to meet and convince politicians and executives about our cause?

So, I'll try to explain: IOF is not considered something official by our government. Any service that have operations in Brazil (and Steam does) needs to be taxed. Now, I'm not defending that, but it's just the way it is. And it is already public that they are looking into the Steam case. That's why I think it is inevitable. We just need to be sure the new taxes will be good for us.

Also, let's try to keep the focus of this thread. If you want, send me a PM and I'll be happy to tell more.

mantidor

This is something that has been shocking for me. We had some portuguese classes back at the company I worked for and our teacher mentioned a lot of people were functional illiterates, this is so odd, how can you not write properly in portuguese if you were born here? is the educational system really that bad?

Also, all this gaming industry stuff in Brasil is fascinating, had no idea about it! is anyone in need of .net developers in Rio de Janeiro by any chance? heh.

flippedb

Banned
Brazilian Portuguese is the best language on songs. I love it. Brazilian people really know how to make great music.

I want to learn Portuguese so I can go to the World Cup/Olympics and speak with natives in their language. That's my goal. Since I'm a native Spanish speaker, learning Portuguese shouldn't be that hard.

LuuKyK

Man, I just heard yesterday that the next Globo Cidadania is going to be about translators and their job/formation, maybe you should watch it? I really don't know if its going to be useful since I've never watched it. I don't even know when it airs. lol

Brazilian Portuguese is the best language on songs. I love it. Brazilian people really know how to make great music.

I want to learn Portuguese so I can go to the World Cup/Olympics and speak with natives in their language. That's my goal. Since I'm a native Spanish speaker, learning Portuguese shouldn't be that hard.

Yeah, they are really similar. I studied spanish for two years I think, and the similarity can trick you, if you are not careful. Similar words sometimes have completely different meanings. :p

Platy

The problem with the Moacyr dude is that ..he is so bad, but at the same time the situation is already so bad that ... I can't think of any way of getting it worst.

So the worst thing about him that I can say is that he will probably will only distract us =P

Is there a way to change my nickname here?
icon_redface.gif

You can always PM a mod

Ezalc

This is something that has been shocking for me. We had some portuguese classes back at the company I worked for and our teacher mentioned a lot of people were functional illiterates, this is so odd, how can you not write properly in portuguese if you were born here? is the educational system really that bad?

Also, all this gaming industry stuff in Brasil is fascinating, had no idea about it! is anyone in need of .net developers in Rio de Janeiro by any chance? heh.

By living in a country with a completely different language throughout your childhood.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Brazil-GAF, maybe you can help me out. A good friend of mine did a study abroad semester in Campinas at UniCamp. While he was there and to this day he raves about how awesome the cachorro-quente were. We've been discussing trying to replicate them here, but one of the items he says was on them was a garlic mayo-like sauce. He said it was everywhere, but he never found out what it was called. Do any of you know what it would be? We want to try to find some or make some.

Peterthumpa

Hey Brazil-GAF, maybe you can help me out. A good friend of mine did a study abroad semester in Campinas at UniCamp. While he was there and to this day he raves about how awesome the cachorro-quente were. We've been discussing trying to replicate them here, but one of the items he says was on them was a garlic mayo-like sauce. He said it was everywhere, but he never found out what it was called. Do any of you know what it would be? We want to try to find some or make some.

Is it kind of a green one?

ledman

It was a homemade mayonese probably.

Ezalc

20 Reasons I Hate Living in Brazil

I don't leave the house much so I don't have a mistress. What do you guys think about it?
1. Depends where you live, haven't really experienced this in the South.
2. Sounds like "jeitinho de Brasileiro", :lol.
3. Completely untrue in my city. My city has millions of people and it shocks me how clean it is compared to the city I lived in the US which I think was smaller and was way dirtier. Once again depends on the place, but it's definitely not true for my city.
4. Unfortunately true.
5. This is also true.
6. I don't even have a girlfriend, much less a mistress. Thanks for making me feel like crap.
7. Depends on the person obviously, sounds like this guy lived more to the north where people are more prone to making fun of each other even if it may sound a bit mean.
8. Depends on the person.
9. Kind of...
10. Lol this can be true.
11. I have a cousin who's a cop so I don't really know how to approach this. He definitely does go after criminals and such but I do agree that things like traffic laws are basically never enforced.
12. Thus giving birth to the jeitinho de Brasileiro, I agree with this as I can see this crap in my own job.
13. Yep.
14. Yeah this guy lived in the North of the country for sure.
15. Lol bland? Get out of here with this crap Brazilian food is way better than American food. American complaining about there not being a lot of drive throughs, wow.
16. Cultural differences showing here.

Can't do the rest now.

So hotdogs? Anyways, I don't know the sauce you're talking about. Sounds like normal pink sauce with added garlic maybe? Could also be some local thing.

justjohn

Just got myself a Rosetta stone to self study Portuguese. Aim is to be at least able to understand and speak the language before the world cup in two years time.

Also can anyone tell me job opportunities in brazil regarding the oil sector? I'm about to graduate in chemical engineering and would love to work in brazil for a few years when I finish. I live in the UK btw.

Top Bottom