• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Haha, fake! 'Abre a porrrrrrlllta mano!'

That's so not how we speak!

But, yeah. The paulistano accent is probably the closest thing we have to the General American.

Not really. We have like a different accent for each state, with different expressions and slangs, but its nothing THAT different, we still understand each other easily. There is not a general one, even though the main tv channel here (Globo) tries really hard to make the carioca (rio's accent) the official one, forcing soap opera's actors that aren't even from rio, to train and get the accent. One of the most stupids things ever, really.

Some Nordestinos speak with insane accents. Sometimes it's impossible to understand what they're trying to say.

DD

Your state doesn't even exist, of course you have "no accent".
Okay.png

Beaulieu

spent 2 weeks in salvador at carnival time a few months ago.
stayed at a friend's place at porto de barra

crazyest most fun vacation I ever had, met a very fuckin hot brazilian girl and made out with 10 more.

i want to go back so bad but plane tickets from canada are so expensive.

edit : why no mention of salvador in the OP ? best carnaval in the country, and I hear it's food, people and language are really unique!

isuzu

Rio has the worst accent ever. Whenever I go there I feel like if I hear someone say "leke/lesk/muleque" 1 more time I'll commit mass murder.

Aku-Audi

I remember my ex's dad joking with me that I sounded like a god damn égua when I spoke Portuguese, because I would always confuse male and female pronunciation. So eventually he nicknamed it Noruégua accent.

Brazilians will get it.

DD

I remember my ex's dad joking with me that I sounded like a god damn égua when I spoke Portuguese, because I would always confuse male and female pronunciation. So eventually he nicknamed it Noruégua accent.

Brazilians will get it.

HAHAHAHAHA

Platy

Brazilians will get it.

Wich is more hilarious because EVERY cliche european mad scientist in fiction here (specialy german scientists) do exactly the same xD

So there is SOME true in that !

Some Nordestinos speak with insane accents. Sometimes it's impossible to understand what they're trying to say.

For me the worst accent to understand are those extreme "minas gerais" accents where everything has the sound of "iiimmm"

Fivefold

Banned
Yo, brazilian here as well. Brasília represent!

Is there an equivalent to this in Brazil?

I'd say that the "brasiliense" accent fits this description more than any other. Well it's a bit funny to call it an accent, because more than anything it's a lack of accent or weird pronunciations... We pronounce the "r' in porta correctly, don't sound like a fucking snake with our "s", speak our "d" and "t" softly as they should be, not like some wannabee argentinian from the pampas and so on. A very famous newscaster called Ana Paula Padrão is from here and since the 90s all newscasters have been trained to emulate her "accent".

Brazil

I'd say that the "brasiliense" accent fits this description more than any other. Well it's a bit funny to call it an accent, because more than anything it's a lack of accent or weird pronunciations... We pronounce the "r' in porta correctly, don't sound like a fucking snake with our "s", speak our "d" and "t" softly as they should be, not like some wannabee argentinian from the pampas and so on. A very famous newscaster called Ana Paula Padrão is from here and since the 90s all newscasters have been trained to emulate her "accent".

The Brasiliense accent is so sexy.

I have a friend from Brasília that... Hnnng, my heart.

Guri

Wich is more hilarious because EVERY cliche european mad scientist in fiction here (specialy german scientists) do exactly the same xD

So there is SOME true in that !

For me the worst accent to understand are those extreme "minas gerais" accents where everything has the sound of "iiimmm"

I'm from Brasília, but one of my best friends (if not the best friend) lives there. Mineiros are amazing!

Yes! Brasília here too!

Fivefold

Banned

It has this very subtle cadence to it, like a very mellowed mix of mineiro and baiano, really uderscored, that is truly sexy. I think it's more noticeable on women too, with men the easiest way to identify it is by slang more than anything (we sure love to sai "véi").

My family is originally from Floripa tho and I can't stand manezinhos accent. The whole thing about conjugating "tu" correctly but using "esse" instead of "este" (like "tu fizesse aquilo?" instead of "tu fizeste aquilo") really gets on my nerves.

IceCold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3VN78BnMHg

Her accent sounds pretty neutral to me. It's the one that I usually associate with Brazil. I speak EU Portuguese.

Ezalc

Brazilians will get it.

:lol.

Also :lol at Ana Paula's name irony.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Took long enough for the Rio hate to creep its head in the thread. Have fun reading this post in my terrible, awful accent that no one likes!

Kid Ying

Wow, wow. C'mon, let's chill, people. There's nothing to see here.

I'm from Rio. Born and raised. I know that our accent is a little... Hated by everyone... But it just seems right to me. But i work with people from all around the country, so i don't really care about how the people talk, otherwise i would be nuts. If they speak portuguese in a intelligible way, no probs.

Fuu

I love Rio, really gorgeous place, just hate cariocas.
I'm fluminense and not carioca as I wasn't born in the actual city of Rio, but since I have the accent it would probably be enough for you to hate me.

I was lucky in that I was always able to have experiences with people from a variety of different places, so I can't have a problem with people based on the state they were born into and live. To each their own, the damage this kind of attitude can cause is sad but unfortunately it's extremely widespread in the country. I just wish it would be kept to a minimum in this thread but heh, it's not like I'm helping much posting about it. Hopefully it doesn't degrade further into the classic paulistas x cariocas or even argentinians x brazilians.

We don't hate Rio. We hate your accent! :'D
:(

I'm from Rio. Born and raised. I know that our accent is a little... Hated by everyone... But it just seems right to me. But i work with people from all around the country, so i don't really care about how the people talk, otherwise i would be nuts. If they speak portuguese in a intelligible way, no probs.
Yeah, there's always people with all kinds of accents around here so it's hard to develop any sort of rage against others way of speech when you hear so many of them at work/school, haha.

Yes, São Paulo city accent. Nobody likes Rio speak.

True story.

Rio has the worst accent ever. Whenever I go there I feel like if I hear someone say "leke/lesk/muleque" 1 more time I'll commit mass murder.

I love Rio, really gorgeous place, just hate cariocas.

HAHAHA, haters gonna hate.

Not only Rio is considered the cultural capital of Brazil, but the carioca dialect was the only one made "official" by a President's decree in 1961.

Of course that's not the official policy of the State nowadays, that says that all regional accents are equal, but it's an indicative of the prestige the carioca dialect has/had.

http://www.filologia.org.br/viicnlf/anais/caderno12-07.html

Peterthumpa

Actually, making a pyramid analogy, I think that there are various "degrees" of carioca accents.

The lower ones are pretty bearable, since I know some cariocas that are almost brasilienses in disguise, while I got to talk with 2 or 3 that had this unbelievable disgusting accent, like they were doing it on purpose.

I don't know, maybe it's region related.

Fivefold

Banned
lol just to be clear I'm mostly joking when I say we hate cariocas, they're just an easy target like people from Boston in the US.

I live in a city where the vast majority of people come from somewhere else so you listen to all kinds of different accents all day long (I work for the government so there's literally people from pretty much every state in my department).

There is kind of a subsconscious link between the carioca accent and the whole "malandragem" culture tho, which is where most of the animosity comes from IMO.

That and flamenguistas.

Fuu

Aw, c'mon, gimme a hug... :)
S98Jc.gif

lol just to be clear I'm mostly joking when I say we hate cariocas, they're just an easy target like people from Boston in the US.

I live in a city where the vast majority of people come from somewhere else so you listen to all kinds of different accents all day long (I work for the government so there's literally people from pretty much every state in my department).

There is kind of a subsconscious link between the carioca accent and the whole "malandragem" culture tho, which is where most of the animosity comes from IMO.

That and flamenguistas.
Ah, the malandragem thing is definitely something that can bother even a lot of cariocas and yeah, I guess it's something that comes with the territory. As a matter of fact I can take the jokes (and joke back) about the accent and everything else in real life, but it makes me a bit sad when people are serious with the prejudice and extrapolations. :/

And lol, flamenguistas suffer so much being the butt of jokes everywhere, even in Rio. Having a vulture as a mascot doesn't help things either. Their numbers can be intimidating though, so it balances out. Futebol is so insane in our country, I'm a bit worried about the combination of World Cup + alcohol in 2014.

Fuu

I hate the way people drive in Rio.

SPECIALY busses.

Never my life felt so in risk than when I entered a buss in Rio after midnight.

...but the "wikipedia" street signs are awesome.
Seriously, some bus drivers can be insane, they go fast as fuck when there's no traffic. It was even scarier some years ago when most buses were falling apart. This reminds me of the "How to Drive in America: a guide for Brits" thread we had a while ago and how much of it applies to the traffic here. I was laughing so much when I read it back then, just change America to Rio. Weakness vacuum, bitch clues. Lol.

British drivers are often fascinated by the differences, apart from the direction we drive and the side of the car the steering weel is on, so heres a handy guide to some of our standards.

STOPPING DISTANCE: Most important. In the UK safe stopping distance is often hundreds of feet. In America, the gap between vehicles traveling at high speeds is called a WEAKNESS VACUUM and should be filled IMMEDIATELY. Inform the car in front of you that you are not weak by tailgating it at 70mph with no intention of overtaking. Which brings us to...

OVERTAKING LANE: Note, it is not called the FAST LANE in the US, because it is designed for elderly people in Buicks or Cadillacs to go at about ten miles less than the posted speed limit. They are using their turn signal as if to indicate they will merge right. They will not. They will simply keep going until a mass of pedestrians at a Farmer's Market eventually slows them down. Which brings us to...

TURN SIGNALS: in the US, these are actually called BITCH CLUES. Used correctly, they will show the drivers around you what you just did - one blink to indicate you already veered in front of them. However, used incorrectly they will alert other drivers of your intention to turn, merge etc, giving them ample time to accelerate or decelerate to PREVENT you from doing whatever maneuver you foolishly gave away.

MERGE LANES: if you are on the freeway already, watch out for merge lanes. Other drivers will, incredibly, try to get on the freeway. Make sure you get all the way over to the merge lane and accelerate or decelerate to prevent them from going to wherever they are trying to go. If you are merging ON to the Freeway, it is best to lock your speed at 40mph and haphazardly try to jerk your car into a gap, ensuring a cascading brake effect ten miles behind you.

EMERGENCY/HANDBRAKE: This is a vestigial device found in American cars and does nothing at all. However, it is important to get a car that has a foot activated handbrake that jams down to the floor and cannot be unarmed without doing something counterintuitive, like putting your car in gear or jamming it harder. Whatever you do, NEVER use it when parking on a hill. This shows people that you are an idiot. Instead, make sure your wheels are completely parallel to the sidewalk and put the car in gear before getting out.

PARKING: Americans will think a vehicle parked facing south at the side of a northbound lane is a speeding vehicle and scream, crash and die. It is therefor illegal in most places to park your car facing the opposite direction of traffic flow.*

SCHOOLBUS: if you see a SCHOOLBUS anywhere near you, with any kind of lights flashing at all, just turn around and go home. Nothing further can be done in your car that day.

ROUNDABOUT: In the states these are sometimes called "Traffic Circles" but more commonly, CHAOS VORTICES where the laws of nature, physics and common sense break down at an Event Horizon. Here, particles, or vehicles, are wrenched into a kind of existential incoherence where nobody has the slightest fucking clue what to do next.

PARALLEL PARKING: if you see someone use their BTCH CLUES to alert you they are about to pull into a parking spot, by creeping parallel to the car in front of the spot, it is IMPERATIVE that you drive right up to their bumper and force them to abandon the maneuver completely and drive around the block to find another spot.nif you are too late to prevent this, either lay on the horn or veer wildly into the oncoming traffic as if the person parking was an actual explosion.

* this is actually true.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479765

Brazil

Seriously, some bus drivers can be insane, they go fast as fuck when there's no traffic. It was even scarier some years ago when most buses were falling apart. This reminds me of the "How to Drive in America: a guide for Brits" thread we had a while ago and how much of it applies to the traffic here. I was laughing so much when I read it back then, just change America to Rio. Weakness vacuum, bitch clues. Lol.

Hey, I posted in that thread! Haha.

The bitch clues and schoolbus parts are the best.

I have never used Rio's public transportation. Guess I'm not missing out on much.

Fuu

Hey, I posted in that thread! Haha.

The bitch clues and schoolbus parts are the best.

I have never used Rio's public transportation. Guess I'm not missing out on much.
Yep. I usually don't need to use it much but public transit still happens to be one of my biggest beefs here (along with things being so expensive, but that's more of a country-wide problem as we all know and suffer). Thankfully improvements are happening (more like being forced) because of the cup and olympics. Even disregarding how most drivers roll, transportation is still one of the main problems in the city and the municipalities around it. The situation of Supervia's trains is just shameful.

LuuKyK

HAHAHA, haters gonna hate.

Not only Rio is considered the cultural capital of Brazil, but the carioca dialect was the only one made "official" by a President's decree in 1961.

Of course that's not the official policy of the State nowadays, that says that all regional accents are equal, but it's an indicative of the prestige the carioca dialect has/had.

http://www.filologia.org.br/viicnlf/anais/caderno12-07.html

Very nice that it was considered official in 1961. It's really cool to share RECENT news.

It's sad though, that in 2012 the only OFFICIAL news we have for Rio, besides it being a touristic city, are far from being good.

iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

I'm not hating though. Loved my weekend stay there.

Platy

Also, a friend that lives in Rio jokes that the "emergency warning lights" (pisca alerta) is called "Mario's Star" in Rio the Janeiro because of how everyone uses as an excuse to break insane traffic laws there xD
You press it and SUDDENLY you are invincible.

But ... lets talk about the best thing about rio

See the micro wikipedia like description ?
THAT!
How it shows who the dude they named the street after is.... it is perfect ! How many times I looked into a street's name and I was like ".... who the fuck is this dude ?"

If this had in my city I would be a much more healthy human being because I would walk much more just to read those stuff =3

Kid Ying

Yep. I usually don't need to use it much but public transit still happens to be one of my biggest beefs here (along with things being so expensive, but that's more of a country-wide problem as we all know and suffer). Thankfully improvements are happening (more like being forced) because of the cup and olympics. Even disregarding how most drivers roll, transportation is still one of the main problems in the city and the municipalities around it. The situation of Supervia's trains is just shameful.
That's for sure. I study in the fundão island and it just makes me sick how the transport is so bad. Sometimes i wait even an hour just to ride in a bus that is crowded as all hell that leaves me in a place that is only 30 minutes walking from my home. It's crazy.

I do hope it'll get better by the Cup/Olympics. There's a lot of stuff changing in the city. Lot's of construction sites. Better than never, i suppose.

Ezalc

Took long enough for the Rio hate to creep its head in the thread. Have fun reading this post in my terrible, awful accent that no one likes!

My brother-in-law is carioca, I don't mind his accent at all I find the carioca accent kind of endearing honestly. This may be due to me being a gringo.

I hate the way people drive in Rio.

SPECIALY busses.

...but the "wikipedia" street signs are awesome.

I HATE driving anywhere near busses and I don't even live in Rio. All of the drivers seem to think they own the damn road and do whatever the fuck they please. This one asshole almost made me crash into the side of his bus once when I was driving by my university. Fuck buses man.

Also those street signs are awesome, I agree. I always feel like Brazil needs better street signs though. If I'm driving there is a very little chance that I'm going to be able to stop and read what street I'm on if it's one of those little ass signs on the corner of the street. If Brazil was actually not stupid and put the street names hanging from the traffic lights kind of how they do in the US it would help so much. I know Londrina has something like this, but it needs to be more widespread.

Top Bottom