• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

Platy

20 Reasons I Hate Living in Brazil

I don't leave the house much so I don't have a mistress. What do you guys think about it?

I think most of those are crazy =P

1-Nope. Really depends on the place you are and who you are .. but it is not a "brazilians are rude with anyone". I would go with the opposite actualy
2-Unfortunatly, this is probably the most true one =/
3-Yes, but the text make it seens INSANELY exagerated.
4-Yes, our politicians sux. One of the most classic examples is one who is known by "steal but do his job". Sad =/
5-Really depends on where .... crowded beaches ? sure, but where in beach citys this don't happen ? =P
6-Insanely fake, but I can understand where he would get that idea.
7-Only on sport events =P
8-No. The late part I can understand, since the public transport in most cities sux, but the lazy and bad job part is just social prejudice.
9-Again, exagerated, but yes.
10-Only if you are at a place full of drunk people xD
11-Yup
12-Only on goverment related things.The main reason is because when you get a job at the goverment, you basicaly need to kill someone to get fired. Now think that this does to the quality of the job =P
13- Yes =( This for someone who likes games is painfull
14- Foreign people go to tropical country and complains about heat. also, water is wet =P
15-...is this bad ? GET YOUR ASS ON THE KITCHEN ><
16- This works like that anywhere in the world =P
17- Never knew this don't happen with other countries
18- Internet yes, eletricity no
19- This dude is a wuss. Brazilian Tap water is better than most waters anywere in the world and he is probably complaing about bottled water (wich in most cases is tap water, yes, even on the USA)
20-He knows NOTHING about brazilian beers =P But in his defense, the most famous are of the same type.

Hey Brazil-GAF, maybe you can help me out. A good friend of mine did a study abroad semester in Campinas at UniCamp. While he was there and to this day he raves about how awesome the cachorro-quente were. We've been discussing trying to replicate them here, but one of the items he says was on them was a garlic mayo-like sauce. He said it was everywhere, but he never found out what it was called. Do any of you know what it would be? We want to try to find some or make some.

"Cachorro-quente = Hot Dog", but our hot dog is way more insane than the ones in the USA. Mashed potatoes is an essential ingredient.

As someone who lives in Campinas and study at UNICAMP, I can say that your friend tasted what is commonly called a "Maionesse temperada", wich is basicaly mayo with some kind of sauce. The most common are with garlic and olive. It depends on the place where he ate, but most places it is just generic mayo mixed with garlic =P

If he give more information I might go in a quest to know more ...

Just got myself a Rosetta stone to self study Portuguese. Aim is to be at least able to understand and speak the language before the world cup in two years time.

Also can anyone tell me job opportunities in brazil regarding the oil sector? I'm about to graduate in chemical engineering and would love to work in brazil for a few years when I finish. I live in the UK btw.

A friend works at Shell in Rio. He always go to europe for training and stuff like that, so it might be a good start.

Also, Petrobras.

DD

I don't leave the house much so I don't have a mistress. What do you guys think about it?
Although I was ranting here in this same thread few days ago, and although I do agree with some of this stuff, this smells like a massive B U T T H U R T. What a jerk...

Seriously, dirty water? Electricity? Bad food? What the fuckin' fuck?

Hey Brazil-GAF, maybe you can help me out. A good friend of mine did a study abroad semester in Campinas at UniCamp. While he was there and to this day he raves about how awesome the cachorro-quente were. We've been discussing trying to replicate them here, but one of the items he says was on them was a garlic mayo-like sauce. He said it was everywhere, but he never found out what it was called. Do any of you know what it would be? We want to try to find some or make some.
Aren't you talking about "requeijão"? I heard that it's not common in the US. It's a thick cream made of cheese.

As Platy said, you can always PM a mod. And if you haven't PM'd one yet:

*cough*
YAY!

Just got myself a Rosetta stone to self study Portuguese. Aim is to be at least able to understand and speak the language before the world cup in two years time.

Also can anyone tell me job opportunities in brazil regarding the oil sector? I'm about to graduate in chemical engineering and would love to work in brazil for a few years when I finish. I live in the UK btw.
The oil sector is literally on fire here.

Fat Goron

The problem with the Moacyr dude is that ..he is so bad, but at the same time the situation is already so bad that ... I can't think of any way of getting it worst.

So the worst thing about him that I can say is that he will probably will only distract us =P

You can always PM a mod

Oh, but I can....

ezvCc.jpg

Zeroth

I don't know what's worse, Nintendo's lack of will to actually challenge the retail prices or the poor (or rich) souls that will inevitably buy these copies and incentive keeping this price.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
"Cachorro-quente = Hot Dog", but our hot dog is way more insane than the ones in the USA. Mashed potatoes is an essential ingredient.

As someone who lives in Campinas and study at UNICAMP, I can say that your friend tasted what is commonly called a "Maionesse temperada", wich is basicaly mayo with some kind of sauce. The most common are with garlic and olive. It depends on the place where he ate, but most places it is just generic mayo mixed with garlic =P

If he give more information I might go in a quest to know more ...
Yeah, he said there was mashed potatoes, shredded chicken, cheese, some fried potato sticks, that sauce. It sounded so god damn good. The place he went to was Hot Dog Central. His recommendation to you is "get everything you can on it."

HAHAHAHA That site is amazing!
The comments made me die.

I married a Brazilian women ,I met her in church and she turned out to be the devil,,,a liar and a thief I was in love and met her in the USA... she wanted to have me come to Brazil and meet her family..christians, It was all bullshit,liars thives and degenerates ..all they want is to rob the gringos and take advantage of them...I am almost positive she murdered her 2nd husband here ..

red13th

Well almost everything is true in my experience, but the one about food is astoundingly untrue. Or distorted, rather. Food is the one thing you couldn't possibly complain about in this country. I was all "ooh this is so true!" while reading those and then he starts talking about food and just... no.

The rest is mostly true.
I also don't have and never had extramarital affairs FWIW but basically all of my closest (straight) friends on stable relationships have cheated their partners at least once that they told me (gay relationships follow different patterns), anecdotal but idc.

Platy

...i'm afraid of some of your straight friends

Yeah, he said there was mashed potatoes, shredded chicken, cheese, some fried potato sticks, that sauce. It sounded so god damn good. The place he went to was Hot Dog Central. His recommendation to you is "get everything you can on it."

Sounds more that is a sauce that they put in the "cooking" of the Dog, not some kind of stuff that is bottled and you serv yourself like some ketchup ... but I will research !

Target acquired!

GManDH

I am brazilian and i havent encountered nearly as many problems as all you guys have. and it is not my circle because i have filthy rich friends and poor ass friends. brazil is a great country with great people. yea you have rude assholes, but to most of the world all americans are jerks. remember for every ying there is a yang BUT for every yang there is a ying.

FStop7

Banned
The Brazilian contingents make everything more fun. I went to the US Grand Prix (F1, not MotoGP) a few years ago and the Brazilians were basically their own roving party.

nbcjr

that's homemade.

Campinas has the best hot dog in the world -> http://wikimapia.org/3564187/pt/Cachorrão

Cachorrão hot dog

Platy

Of course most Brazilians gaffers are rich and entitled and get offended by that list

LOL
Because only rich gaffers can feel offended by a list that tell that poor people are LAZY, do crap jobs, don't want to work and are always late.
Yeah, I have a name for that ...

But there is an interesting point here :

yea you have rude assholes, but to most of the world all americans are jerks. remember for every ying there is a yang BUT for every yang there is a ying.

There are some people here that are borderline evil with foreign people ... when I lived at the Bahia state, it was not uncommon to see people sell things by 2 times of the original price just because people LOOKED like a turist.

But then again, we DO receive some really bad turists ... people who you can see that are not even TRYING to learn any portuguese to get around here and expects that everyone knows and talks fluent english =P

skybaby

LOL
Because only rich gaffers can feel offended by a list that tell that poor people are LAZY, do crap jobs, don't want to work and are always late.
I'm in the middle of a renovation work in an apartment, dude, I have to call people 3 times a day just to show up for an estimate. And usually that budget goes out the window once the job starts, which is whenever they care to show up. Sometimes they don't even show up to pick up their final payment.
Services in Brazil fucking suck, period. Just ask anyone who's ever needed anything done. There is near ZERO professionalism and work ethic.

Platy

I'm in the middle of a renovation work in an apartment, dude, I have to call people 3 times a day just to show up for an estimate. And usually that budget goes out the window once the job starts, which is whenever they care to show up. Sometimes they don't even show up to pick up their final payment.
Services in Brazil fucking suck, period. Just ask anyone who's ever needed anything done. There is near ZERO professionalism and work ethic.

I hope you understand how they are not your usual worker here.

You have bad workers, not bad brazilians.

But i will stop this talk right now, since my dad works in the exact same work area you are complaining and i will not provide an unbiased opinion.

Also, I need to sleep =P

skybaby

I hope you understand how they are not your usual worker here.

You have bad workers, not bad brazilians.

But i will stop this talk right now, since my dad works in the exact same work area you are complaining and i will not provide an unbiased opinion.

Also, I need to sleep =P

I bid you a good night's sleep and hope you get into the subway 8am tomorrow morning, to be surrounded by the famed Brazilian friendliness and politeness.

GWX

How much do you, gaffers around the world, pay for your internet service monthly? Here in Brazil, I pay fucking US$50 for a 1Mbps download/300Kbps upload connection plus the cheapest phone plan that my provider has available. Living here sucks =(

mantidor

I love Brasil and brasilians but that list is surprisingly accurate, however most of that list I've heard being confirmed by brasilians themselves complaining about Rio and cariocas specifically, and how much better is elsewhere, they are also usually not from Rio, obviously. I guess you can add nasty regionalism to that list?

My biggest problem, or should I say cultural shock, is how friendly everyone is, which in itself is not a bad thing, except that you people rarely actually mean it, it's just the way you talk and behave. It's nice when you are a tourist or some gringo just going around for a few weeks, but if you live here it comes off as very superficial, people treat you like you are their best friends until you actually need a best friend, which is when very few actually live up to that expectation. It takes a lot of adjustment, just because you are received by hugs and kisses everywhere doesn't mean you can count on those persons for anything. To be honest I haven't seen many deep friendships around here, of course is not apparently evident, completely the opposite, until you get to know brasilians.

WHERE!? hot dogs, and fast food in general here in Rio sucks. is that limited to Campinas? I miss crazy hot dogs from my country, you sometimes had to eat them with a spoon because of how much stuff was poured in.

Well almost everything is true in my experience, but the one about food is astoundingly untrue. Or distorted, rather. Food is the one thing you couldn't possibly complain about in this country. I was all "ooh this is so true!" while reading those and then he starts talking about food and just... no.

Seriously, dirty water? Electricity? Bad food? What the fuckin' fuck?

My experience with food is that you are initially surprised at the variety (and quantity), but you eventually get tired, the food is very expensive, and actually good restaurants are rare. Speaking strictly about Rio of course.

DD

How much do you, gaffers around the world, pay for your internet service monthly? Here in Brazil, I pay fucking US$50 for a 1Mbps download/300Kbps upload connection plus the cheapest phone plan that my provider has available. Living here sucks =(

10 Mbps for US$ 30 here.

DD

I love Brasil and brasilians but that list is surprisingly accurate, however most of that list I've heard being confirmed by brasilians themselves complaining about Rio and cariocas specifically, and how much better is elsewhere, they are also usually not from Rio, obviously. I guess you can add nasty regionalism to that list?

My biggest problem, or should I say cultural shock, is how friendly everyone is, which in itself is not a bad thing, except that you people rarely actually mean it, it's just the way you talk and behave. It's nice when you are a tourist or some gringo just going around for a few weeks, but if you live here it comes off as very superficial, people treat you like you are their best friends until you actually need a best friend, which is when very few actually live up to that expectation. It takes a lot of adjustment, just because you are received by hugs and kisses everywhere doesn't mean you can count on those persons for anything. To be honest I haven't seen many deep friendships around here, of course is not apparently evident, completely the opposite, until you get to know brasilians.
You met the cariocas. =P

I'm from Espírito Santo, just north from Rio de Janeiro, and I had an english teacher from Rio back in the school. One day she was talking about the cultural differences between the two states. In Rio people are more talkative, friendly, while the capixabas (people from the Espírito Santo) are more quiet, don't usually talk with strangers if they don't need to, etc.

Brazil, just like USA, is a continental sized country colonized by people from Europe, Africa and Asia, not forgeting the native indians. So there are so many different cultures that it is dificult to put it simple. You can't really say that paulistas (prople from São Paulo) behave the same way than the bahianos (prople from Bahia), or that the catarinenses (from Santa Catarina) behave the same way that the paraenses (from Pará) do. Even Espírito Santo and Rio de Janeiro, two of the smallest states, neighbours, are different.

Putting them in the same bag is the same thing than putting Texas and Washington, California and Vermount, New York and Florida.

My experience with food is that you are initially surprised at the variety (and quantity), but you eventually get tired, the food is very expensive, and actually good restaurants are rare. Speaking strictly about Rio of course.
Maybe you just miss the food from your country. I mean, there's the brazilian tipical food, italian food, chinese food, japanese food, arab food, all kinds of sea food, american food, I mean, there's so many kinds of food that I honestly don't buy the ideia, you see?

I respect your opinion, but I really don't see how is it possible to complain about food here, heheh.

Damn, I'm chubby. Need to stop thinking about food. :p

Shinriji

RIO-GAF reporting for duty.

There isn't a better place to live than Rio, really. I love this country more than anything, saw a fair share of other countries/places, but here is what it is.

Nice weather, nice food, nice girls. Brazil is a tad more expensive that I liked to be, there is poverty, social distortions still wears its ugly head, but it is my country.

DD

You're boring! hhahaha :p

It should be fun. I will probably do it if I decide not to watch any games in my city.

Seriously, think: Fifa is a well known corrupt organization. They are not investing one single dollar in this country for the World Cup, it is all payed with the taxes we pay. Fifa will keep all the money raised on the World Cup to themselves, they will be above all the brazilian laws, they don't even want to ease things up for students, the poor and the people with disabilities like our laws predict. So why the hell will I volunteer to work for free to a corrupt organization full of millionaires earning easy money over my country, while they don't even show a tiny bit of respect over our laws and our people?

If I wanted to be a volunteer, Id rather help the poor, the elders, the orphans; not a bunch of billionaires...

Knowing that the taxes that I pay are being used to build and promote the World Cup is volunteering enough for me. =P

Ezalc

Someone else going to be a volunteer on the World Cup? :p

Unfortunately I will be in like my last year of college during the world cup. Thankfully it'll start around the time when the semester is finishing. It'll still suck to try and go to school with all of these gringos here.

Also what Dan said.

mantidor

You met the cariocas. =P

I'm from Espírito Santo, just north from Rio de Janeiro, and I had an english teacher from Rio back in the school. One day she was talking about the cultural differences between the two states. In Rio people are more talkative, friendly, while the capixabas (people from the Espírito Santo) are more quiet, don't usually talk with strangers if they don't need to, etc.

Brazil, just like USA, is a continental sized country colonized by people from Europe, Africa and Asia, not forgeting the native indians. So there are so many different cultures that it is dificult to put it simple. You can't really say that paulistas (prople from São Paulo) behave the same way than the bahianos (prople from Bahia), or that the catarinenses (from Santa Catarina) behave the same way that the paraenses (from Pará) do. Even Espírito Santo and Rio de Janeiro, two of the smallest states, neighbours, are different.

Putting them in the same bag is the same thing than putting Texas and Washington, California and Vermount, New York and Florida.

Oh I agree completely, I was mostly talking about cariocas, although funny enough the first person that came to mind about this attitude is a girl from Belo Horizonte, and some mineiros, the exception, as there always are, is actually a carioca himself, but he's not your typical carioca.

I know, generalizations, but sometimes they do ring true.

Platy

I bid you a good night's sleep and hope you get into the subway 8am tomorrow morning, to be surrounded by the famed Brazilian friendliness and politeness.

No subways in my city, but I saw a girl give her seat to an old lady on the crowded buss.

Zeroth

There are terrible people everywhere, it's not like Brazil is the epicenter of it. Where I live the public services are pretty good, so I'm inclined to believe the problems are more related to the different regions and culture Brazil has, but it's not something you will inevitably find everywhere.

Also, anyone familiar with IRC? We could make a channel for BrazilGaf, it would be a nice way to help building the community.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If I'm not working my ass off in 2016 (I probably will be), I'll volunteer for the Olympics.

I have no intention of volunteering for the World Cup. I'll be too busy partying drunk non-stop.

Some of these are true, unfortunately, but others are borderline offensive.

I mean...

"Brazilians have no consideration for people outside their immediate circle, and are often just plain rude. For example, a neighbor who plays loud music all night; and even if you ask him politely to turn the volume down, he tells you to f**k off. And basic politeness? A simple "excuse me" when someone almost knocks you over on the street? Forget it."

"Brazilians are very expressive of their negative opinions of others, with complete disregard about possibly hurting someone's feelings."

What?

And about the food... Just :lol

That's a pretty extreme example.

At least that way they taste like something.

Kid Ying

I've just saw that list and to me, it seemed like just another brazilian that hates it's country trying to troll, because brazilians always seems to listen to a foreigner more than to listen to their own criticism.

But i don't know, didn't found it so offensive. If that is his opinion of the country as a whole, okay. It's not like i need to prove to him, otherwise i'll die. Generalization is almost always untrue at it's core, so... Who cares?

For the guy that want's to live here as a translator, actually, there's a pretty big market here, specially if you get to translate legal documents or in-time translations in conferences and stuff. Pretty big money to be made. Otherwise, you'll get just about what every middle-class person gets. At least it's what i've heard, hehe. Also, i'm from Rio, so i need to plead guilty of those accusations of too much friendliness, but to me, it's just a way to communicate with people that we have. No big deal at all.

vinicius

Neo Member
Jesus, worldcup/olympics. I intend to be as far from rio as I can, the place will turn into hell (or a deeper hell circle than it already is)

I've just saw that list and to me, it seemed like just another brazilian that hates it's country trying to troll, because brazilians always seems to listen to a foreigner more than to listen to their own criticism.

that guy is not brazilian, but he lives here with his brazilian spouse.

Kid Ying

that guy is not brazilian, but he lives here with his brazilian spouse.
So i heard. It just seemed too much like the same criticism that i hear from a lot of people here. Too bad that this just seems to turn into ammunition for these kind of guys that only like to criticize, but never dare to change or to try something to make things(at least in their circle) better.

I work with people that say all those tropes "The only way Brazil can work if everyone dies and other nations take over" "Brazil's biggest shame is his people" and that is annoying as all hell. But, whatever, let's talk about something better, like Nissim Ourfali, hehe.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jesus, worldcup/olympics. I intend to be as far from rio as I can, the place will turn into hell (or a deeper hell circle than it already is)
But you're going to miss all the gaffers coming to Brazil for the tournaments... I'm dreaming of being at the worldcup final

Mr. F

Banned

I really want to go down for the World Cup and show some Brazilian pride, but I'm kind of wary of it turning into a shit show. This fear is not exclusive to Brazil to be clear, I've just never been able to seriously consider attending any kind of event that matches that scale. Maybe I'm just paranoid of crowds, haha.

LuuKyK

Is there an equivalent to this in Brazil?

Not really. We have like a different accent for each state, with different expressions and slangs, but its nothing THAT different, we still understand each other easily. There is not a general one, even though the main tv channel here (Globo) tries really hard to make the carioca (rio's accent) the official one, forcing soap opera's actors that aren't even from rio, to train and get the accent. One of the most stupids things ever, really.

Ezalc

Not really. We have like a different accent for each state, with different expressions and slangs, but its nothing THAT different, we still understand each other easily. There is not a general one, even though the main tv channel here (Globo) tries really hard to make the carioca (rio's accent) the official one, forcing soap opera's actors that aren't even from rio, to train and get the accent. One of the most stupids things ever, really.

This is news to me, then again I don't watch Globo hahaha.

Top Bottom