• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5 interim thread - the series concludes Summer 2013 on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ccdu7b.gif

And Walt is just an ass, a little man crying out for long-past relevance.
And yet I love that he is willing to go to such extremes to satisfy his ego and I am in awe at the facility with which he soothes his very laden conscience.
It's fascinating to see such a man delude himself to such extremes and think he is doing his family a favor.
He only cares for his ego but will tell all the lies he needs to himself to sleep soundly at night.
Despite the hubris I still sympathize with his stupidity.

I want him to suffer the consequences, to fully suffer, and I will root for him to take out whatever enemies have crossed him, perhaps the neo-nazis or the other drug dealers or maybe Lydia. But I really want Hank to bring him down.

The question then will be whether Walt will even dare to hurt Hank.

SteveWD40

I think my gf believed Walt was ok up until the end of S4 when it's revealed he poisoned Brock, she didn't think it was conceivable it was him until then.

Now she outright hates him.

What's this theory that Walt poisoned Skyler with ricin during the lunch scene at the end of S05E08? Apparently there was a bunch of camera work focusing on the glass Skyler was drinking from? Crazy if true .....

I thought Walt was going to poison her already and use her behavior to pass it off as suicide.

kehs

Banned
One of my favourite moments of the series is one of the cold openings in season 5, 'Say my name'. Look close enough and you can see the ego radiating around him and his arrogance oozing out of every pore in his face.

I fucking love Heisenberg, I want moments in these final eight where he attempts the same with Hank. Those scenes potentially could be the best in the series. Walt coldly explaining to Hank how he played him in the biggest case of his life gives me shivers even thinking about it.

Of course, I know how it must end, but I hope Heisenberg has a few 'Youre goddamn right' moments left.

We got a glimpse of this in the finale, after the prison murder scenes when hank gets home. You can see Walt's demeanor change completely while hank is about to implode.

Then walt, like he always does when someone is in a critically emotional moment, says something that shows he's not even listening at all, and just thinking about himself.

"I liked camping"

I feel like they had Walt kill Mike as like a final wake up call to viewers who were still sympathetic to him. He's done all these fucked up things already, but you can at least rationalize them to a certain degree, they all served some sort of purpose. Either self preservation, protecting Jesse, not getting caught , etc... There was no rationalization or purpose for killing Mike. He would have never talked, never gotten caught, and never bothered Walt again. It was pure anger and hubris that caused him to do it. For a lot of viewers, I imagine it was the moment where they said "oh yeah, he really is a son of a bitch now, fuck him.".

Agreed. That's why they also added in the part where he said "I could have just gone to Lydia!". That was another moment similar to that exchange with Jessie and Walt where Jessie was going on about his ex and walt said "No, about the money. How do you feel about the money?"

Nameless

Refusing to give up the names after Walt had just saved his ass. That revisionist history rant about Walt's greed and ego causing things to go sour with Gus. The blatant disrespect. Strong arming Walt for the bag. All after cuffing him to a heater and attempting to take his business--Mike flew too close to sun.

Ask yourself, would Mike have dared to do any of this to Gus? And if he had what would've been the consequences? Walt's not able to take himself seriously as a drug lord if he allows Mike to slide; that's how a chemistry teacher is treated, not Heisenberg.

See, stuff like this is why I can't wait till next sunday. I'm dying to know what Hank does, because he's implicated in this entirely. Hank could walk it back and say "I wouldn't have been shot if it wasn't for Walt". Or, he could go "The only reason I can walk is because of this guy and the money he gave us." I'm really curious how Hank is going to handle all of this, probably more so than anything this season.

Wondering, are there any
insane
viewers who are rooting against Hank? e.g., hoping he gets it in the final eight? Just curious. For me, as compromised as he is, he's the moral core of the show, in some ways as much of a "badass" as Walt, but on the side of the good guys. If he were to die, I could accept it if pulled off well dramatically, but I'd be pretty damn bummed out.

See, stuff like this is why I can't wait till next sunday. I'm dying to know what Hank does, because he's implicated in this entirely. Hank could walk it back and say "I wouldn't have been shot if it wasn't for Walt". Or, he could go "The only reason I can walk is because of this guy and the money he gave us." I'm really curious how Hank is going to handle all of this, probably more so than anything this season.

It also directly echoes his conversation with Jesse in season 1.

Best show ever, man

kehs

Banned
With Gus. Mike totally ignores the part about Gus' original plan being to feed Walt to the cartel after three months, letting Gale take over the lab and Walr's formula.

Right...because Walt got involved with the good thing Mike had before and after Walt got all uppity.

You can't say he "saved" mike if he put mike in that position in the first place.

BigAT

With Gus. Mike totally ignores the part about Gus' original plan being to feed Walt to the cartel after three months, letting Gale take over the lab and Walr's formula.

I don't think that was ever the plan, it only became the plan after Walt murdered the two drug dealers and was clearly out of control. That's what Mike is referring to.

Nameless

Wondering, are there any
insane
viewers who are rooting against Hank? e.g., hoping he gets it in the final eight? Just curious. For me, as compromised as he is, he's the moral core of the show, in some ways as much of a "badass" as Walt, but on the side of the good guys. If he were to die, I could accept it if pulled off well dramatically, but I'd be pretty damn bummed out.

Love Hank(and Marie). I hope he makes it out alive. But if you're asking me to choose between him or Walt, Hank loses, everytime.

Love Hank(and Marie). I hope he makes it out alive. But if you're asking me to choose between him or Walt, Hank loses, everytime.

Man, I watched that Times Talk thing and when Norris and Brandt break down about the elevator scene...holy shit.

Hank and Marie forever.

TEAM MINERALS JESUS

Refusing to give up the names after Walt had just saved his ass. That revisionist history rant about Walt's greed and ego causing things to go sour with Gus. The blatant disrespect. Strong arming Walt for the bag. All after cuffing him to a heater and attempting to take his business--Mike flew too close to sun.

Ask yourself, would Mike have dared to do any of this to Gus? And if he had what would've been the consequences? Walt's not able to take himself seriously as a drug lord if he allows Mike to slide; that's how a chemistry teacher is treated, not Heisenberg.
I think the difference is that Walt is no Gus Fring, as Mike put it. Gus was clearly superior to Walt in just about every way, Walt did not deserve the same respect Gus did. And he proves how cowardly he is by pointlessly shooting Mike, he let his emotions get the better of him.

And I'm sure Gus's business would have continued on smoothly for years if Walt never showed up. I think that's what Mike meant.

Nameless

I don't think that was ever the plan, it only became the plan after Walt murdered the two drug dealers and was clearly out of control. That's what Mike is referring to.

But it was. Before Walt's even working with Gus he tells the cartel they can have him once their business together has concluded.

Walt only kills the two dealers to save Jesse who won't let go their using, and eventually killing Tomas.

It's not even clear to me what would be a "defeat" in Walt's mind (even death wouldn't necessarily qualify). By contrast, plenty of things could happen to make it tragic for Hank & family. Maybe if Hank were to outsmart Walt, the offense of that might penetrate Walt's ego.

Yeah but if Walt kept "the good thing going", Jesse would be dead. The moment he saved Jesse Walt was a dead man walking.
It's kind of Walt's fault for making Jesse hit partner tbh. And in the end Gus should have stuck to his instinct of not dealing with them. In the end that was his downfall.

kehs

Banned
Yeah but if Walt kept "the good thing going", Jesse would be dead. The moment he saved Jesse Walt was a dead man walking.

Are you talking about saving Jesse from being killed by Gus because he made Jesse shoot Gale?

Yup...another case of "i saved you by putting you in a position of shittyness and i improved and exit".

e: or maybe the two dealers, that killed the kid, that killed combo because walt was greedy and just had to expand his territory.

Nameless

Man, I watched that Times Talk thing and when Norris and Brandt break down about the elevator scene...holy shit.

Hank and Marie forever.

TEAM MINERALS JESUS

So good. Definitely one of the underrated TV couplesm.You know, if Hank does die Marie's reaction will be too heartbreaking for life.

What episode is that? I don't ever remember that being the case.

Early season 3, in which Gus tries to hold back the twins from killing Walt. He offers that they could kill Walter after he is done working a couple of additional months for him.
Although I suggest that this was a lie and he obviously already intended to kill off everyone in the cartell.

Man it takes some serious crazy to think Mike's death wasn't Walt's ego and pride feeling hurt. He himself even admits it was a pointless shooting. Of course he has the audacity to say that as Mike is dying. God i cant wait to see walt's life crash around him and i hope someone sets his money on fire.

Bigfoot

Are you talking about saving Jesse from being killed by Gus because he made Jesse shoot Gale?

Yup...another case of "i saved you by putting you in a position of shittyness and i improved and exit".

e: or maybe the two dealers, that killed the kid, that killed combo because walt was greedy and just had to expand his territory.
By that logic you could blame this whole thing on Jesse cooking Meth on his own on the first place and getting spotted by Walt.

Early season 3, in which Gus tries to hold back the twins from killing Walt. He offers that they could kill Walter after he is done working a couple of additional months for him.
Although I suggest that this was a lie and he obviously already intended to kill off everyone in the cartell.
It was, which is why he told them to after the DEA and Hank specifically. Gus also tipped the odds against the twins by tipping off Hank, presumably from Mike who was keeping tabs on them. It was a calculated move of oppurtunity because it took heat off Gus while eliminating the twins so Gus could trap the Cartel.

There are a lot of emotions running though me as these last 8 episodes approach. I want closure, at the same time, I do not want it to end.

There are a lot of emotions running though me as these last 8 episodes approach. I want closure, at the same time, I do not want it to end.

Completely and utterly this.

First time I have ever bought an iTunes season pass for anything, being as that's the easiest way for me to see this in the UK without satellite. I'm not waiting for it to get on Netflix.

Wondering, are there any
insane

I don't know if I am rooting against him, but I am thinking he is not going to come out of this alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom