• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking down real world chances for GTA5 on Switch

I would triple dip for a Switch version for sure. But i just cant see it happening. I hope im wrong and we get surprised at some point.

Hell, id be even happy if it was just the single player content and they omit all the multiplayer stuff if thats the only way it could work. Im probably in the minority for that option though.

rrs

Possible, but a lack of GTA:O with all the new goodies would leave take two wondering if the dev time would be worth the returns for a switch version

It won't fit on currently supported cartridges. Not even a hypothetical 64GB model.

why is this such a common response to 'can X game be ported to Switch'? In response to suggestions of games that are barely above 30gb or 60gb on PC and PS4, where they're rocking uncompressed audio and video and higher res textures and effects and so on and so forth.
why on earth do you think that a Switch version would be anywhere near the same size as the others?
it's like the other day when someone joked about DOOM and people were like '...but dude it's sixty gigs' and I'm just sitting there like 'shit can be made to fit'

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It would be nice but it's too late for that to happen. We're better off hoping for Red Dead 2 alongside the PC release.

Muninn

Banned
I wouldn't even want it with the power of the Switch. So much would be cut down. Nah. Focus on Nintendo stuff or new IPs please.

Vuze

I don't see it happening at all. They are supposedly dialing back GTA:O content delivery and support this year for PC and current gen consoles, doubt they'd put it on a new platform for a few copies sold.

I don't know of it'll happen or even could guess at the chances it'll happen but if it did happen with all the features I'll buy it for the first time. I debated getting it for the PS4 since it's on sale for $30 but I can't play much in front of a TV unless I choose to lose sleep. Playing it on handheld mode connected to WiFi is ideal for me.

Hell, even if it didn't have all the online features I'll still buy it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
We're better off hoping for Red Dead 2 alongside the PC release.

Not going to happen. I cannot believe people would even hold out any chance it would now the Switch's hardware is a known entity.

MisterHero

you're kidding me right?
why is this such a common response to 'can X game be ported to Switch'? Games that are barely above 60gb on PC and PS4, where they're rocking uncompressed audio and video and higher res textures and effects and so on and so forth.
why on earth do you think that a Switch version would be anywhere near the same size as the others?
it's like the other day when someone joked about DOOM and people were like '...but dude it's sixty gigs' and I'm just sitting there rolling my eyes
I have no idea what size the XBONE/PS4 size is. But I was including DLC to be fair. It just needs to include the same gameplay experience, which for all I know COULD fit on Switch. Maybe, maybe not.

Vuze

Have they dropped updates for the 360 and PS3?

If so I very much doubt it.
Yes, in 2015.

What would be cut down? GTAV is a PS3/360 game that got up ported to current consoles.
Atleast for the PC version Rockstar claimed it was developed alongside PS3/360. If that's the case, PS4/XO versions being cut down versions of the PC version makes much more sense.

dh4niel

but-why.gif

I'm sure many people are clamoring to play a nearly 4 year old game on their new console.

/s

GTA port begging happens on every new Nintendo console.

I remember Nintendo fanboys pissed off because -Resident Evil 6- and -Battlefield- weren't on the Wii. Nintendo fan port begging is always the biggest joke.

GTA port begging happens every new Nintendo generation, but this might be the first time -ever- that the idea of a GTA port to Nintendo's new hardware isn't entirely moronic

What would be cut down? GTAV is a PS3/360 game that got up ported to current consoles.

Is the Switch's CPU within tagging distance of the 360 and PS3 CPUs? I'm thinking that while assets are easily to scale down, there'll be a lot of shoe horning to get it to run and that'll be an investment R* may not want to make.

Astral Dog

They might try with more "modern" games cause despite GTA V being a sales beast,its an old game that has already been remastered.

10%-15 at most

Zedark

This is obviously speculation, but what do people feel the actual real world chances of GTA5 on Switch are?

Concept approval: GTA has been on Nintendo platforms before with their off-shoot handheld entries. GTA: Advance on GBA, GTA:Chinatown Wars on DS, etc. It's not as if having GTA on a Nintendo platform is unprecedented.

If we're being honest, we know Nintendo's relationship with this type of material can be shaky. We all know their history and the squeaky clean image they always strive for. Still, I don't believe there would be a problem here for GTAV. Even Manhunt released on Wii.

Technical: This is my real question mark. The game ran on PS3 and Xbox 360 with far less RAM. Those who understand the switch architecture more (specifically about the CPU and GPU), can the Switch hold up in portable mode for a slightly juiced up version similar to the PS3/360 outing? Really would love to know what people think about this one.

Developer relationship, development environment, misc: Do Rockstar, Take Two, and Nintendo have a healthy enough relationship these days to make this want to happen?
Is Rockstar even in a strategic position to want to port a game this many years out? (I suspect they will port this as long as they can, like the others)

Anything else you can think of? Interested in hearing people's opinions on whether it can be done and whether it will be done!

I would say the specs aspect is not at all a problem: even basing the game off of the 7th gen version should allow for a decent version.

The biggest hindrance would be the last aspect: T2 and Rockstar seem to focus a lot on the multiplayer aspect of the game, even cancelling the single player expansion that was expected at one point. I wonder if they want to make a new version for the Switch, although it could help expand the userbase a bit more (not that that is a real problem for GTAV lol), so maybe they will do it.

MisterHero

I remember Nintendo fanboys pissed off because -Resident Evil 6- and -Battlefield- weren't on the Wii. Nintendo fan port begging is always the biggest joke.

GTA port begging happens every new Nintendo generation, but this might be the first time -ever- that the idea of a GTA port to Nintendo's new hardware isn't entirely moronic
What was wrong about the idea of porting the PS2 games to Wii?

Nevermind that supposedly GTAV was considered for Wii U at some point.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think the chances are somewhere between pigs flying and money growing on trees. It's pretty much a pipe dream, I doubt Rockstar will be reaching any new audiences with a Switch port, and that will not make it worth their while.

TSM

Rockstar is all about GTA V Online at this point. Given the current state of Nintendo's online plans, this seems like a poor fit at the moment. Also given the inherent storage limitations of the Switch I can't imagine GTA V Online is even a remote consideration for that reason alone. I just checked my Steam install, and the PC version currently stands at 70GB.

120v

this might be the first time -ever- that the idea of a GTA port to Nintendo's new hardware isn't entirely moronic

pretty much what i'm thinking. if it weren't for transferring the online infrastructure to Switch it'd be a no brainer

especially if R* is serious about supporting the console in some capacity down the line. porting GTAV would be a good exercise of learning its ins and outs

If it moves units like the Wii PS2...

...maybe.

Seriously though, the possibility of GTA Online on the go with something like the Switch would move me from "wait and see" to "day one."

The Adder

Banned
Switch does gangbusters and is as easy to port to for R* as has been reported for others, it probaby gets a port.

If either of these things is not the case, it absolutely doesn't.

Real world chances are close to zero tbh. Switch would have no issues with it, as it ran on PS360. I just don't think rockstar/2K care enough to do it tbh. It took them SO long to release the PC port after all, and they have RDR2 out "this year" (doubt but lol).

What was wrong about the idea of porting the PS2 games to Wii?

Nevermind that supposedly GTAV was considered for Wii U at some point.

yeah, PS2 ports to Wii would have been aight, but not particularly compelling. Not nearly as compelling as a handheld mainline GTA would be.

SomTervo

The technical aspect is absolutely the safest aspect. It worked on machines less than half as powerful and they ported it to PS4/XBO which have v similar architecture.

radcliff

I feel as if Nintendo will make a concerted effort to get western ips that are also popular in Japan, with the selling point being that the more handheld centric Japanese market could prove to be a boon for these titles and a chance to sell more that what they can reach there on the PS4 alone. Some examples would be Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fallout, Witcher, Star Wars, and (yes) Grand Theft Auto.

GTA5 is 4 year old game.

I'm more concerned if Nintendo can fix their third party relationships with the switch in such a way that GTA6 launches for it.

shiyrley

Banned
It won't fit on currently supported cartridges. Not even a hypothetical 64GB model.

And I'm willing to triple dip.
So your logic is that it fits on two DVDs, or a 50 GB blu ray, but not on a 64 GB cart? Ok.

Not saying it will happen, but it can certainly fit lol

Oh its definitely happening. First GTA game on a Nintendo home console, PLUS a full GTA experience on the go on the handheld? ALL THE MONEY IS THERE

kmax

It's not going to happen if the Switch isn't a success.

The Nintendo Switch is in many ways a limitus test by third parties to see how well it performes in comparison to its competitors. Over the years, Nintendo has been performing unreliable by releasing mega hits such as the Wii, but also failing bombs such as GameCube and Wii U . It has behaved obnoxious in many regards and has been complacent in its attitude towards hardcore gamers and has constantly been persistent on its path to focus on being a family friendly company. Nothing wrong with that, but its a terrible strategy if you want to bring over third party games over to your console. If the hardcore gamers aren't there, then there is no reason for publishers to bat an eye towards that direction.

With all that said, and referring over to the limitus test, Nintendo has slowly been changing its ways. It has expanded its IP's to mobile, and has overall been more approachable in terms of listening to consumers, developers and publishers alike. Still, there's a ton of work ahead for Nintendo that it needs to adress and work on. Admitting its faults and adressing them accordingly is the first step towards that direction. It'll be interesting how it'll fare with the Switch, but there's not going to be an "unprecedented partnership" with anyone if the console isn't performing. We learned as much from Wii U.

So no, I don't think we're going to see GTA5 to the Switch for the forseeable future. However, if Nintendo keeps going the direction that it's going, then I'm sure we'll see more developers and publishers alike supporting them.

maxcriden

Nintendo would love it, and it could easily run on the Switch.

If Nintendo were to be interested, and it could run without too much trouble getting it going on Switch, I would be very surprised if it wasn't coming, particularly because of how popular it is in Japan and how it hasn't already been available on a handheld.

Xdrive05

Oh its definitely happening. First GTA game on a Nintendo home console, PLUS a full GTA experience on the go on the handheld? ALL THE MONEY IS THERE

Seriously.

Real-ass GTA5 on the go can happen now on the Switch. They would be fools not to do it.

And Nintendo should beg them for it. They're selling the "AAA gaming on the go" concept. They need titles like this to help make the case.

Futureman

Technically seems possible. It's my impression that the Switch is somewhere in-between a 360 and Xbox One. I guess the main reason it wouldn't come is because the audience may not be there.

Thraktor

Low. Not because it's not technically possible (it's a PS360 port) or there isn't a market for it (it still sells extremely well, and the portable aspect would surely be enough of a draw to at least break even), but just because if it was in the works it would almost certainly have been announced at the January event.

but-why.gif

I'm sure many people are clamoring to play a nearly 4 year old game on their new console.

/s

That 4 year old game was the third highest selling game in the US last month, so there actually are a lot of people clamouring to play it right now.

MCN

Banned
Seriously.

Real-ass GTA5 on the go can happen now on the Switch. They would be fools not to do it.

And Nintendo should beg them for it. They're selling the "AAA gaming on the go" concept. They need titles like this to help make the case.

I would quadruple-dip for GTA5 on Switch.

Just pick up a used PS360 if you want to play GTA5 that much, geez. There's no law that says you can't play a game unless it's on a Nintendo console.

eXMomoj

Very low chance. The game is approaching 4 years old and has been released on 5 different platforms (with PC being the last in 2015). The vast majority of people who have wanted to play the game have already played it on one of the 5 platforms. Dedicating resources and funds to make a Switch version of the game would be a bad business move as sales on the Switch would probably not recuperate costs.

Forkball

If Switch does incredible, AND it has a large attach rate to the online paid service, the chance of a PS360 version hitting the console goes from 0% to 0.5%.

If you want to play GTA V, build a decent PC. Nintendo Switch is for first party games and a few Japanese exclusive developers. Move on.

Top Bottom