• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking down real world chances for GTA5 on Switch

Sho Nuff

Banned
I don't know man, I'm sure Nintendo might turn down a game that has sold something like 80 million copies because it goes against their family friendly branding

0%

Why even bother? They've made tons of money and will continue making tons of money until GTAVI releases. There's no reason to port it for only a few thousand people.

G0523

I can see Rockstar releasing a spin-off game on the Switch around the same time whenever GTA VI comes out. GTAV could happen but I just think it's far too late to release it. Rockstar will definitely bring out their other, smaller titles for the Switch if they want to, like they did with Bully, Manhunt 2, and Table Tennis for Wii. They have to be working on something other than Red Dead Redemption 2, right?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
but-why.gif

I'm sure many people are clamoring to play a nearly 4 year old game on their new console.

/s
First of all, that nearly 4 year old game is still selling like hotcakes.

Secondly, this would be a portable veraion of GTA V. That would be a very, very big deal. Portability gives this version a unique selling point.

sknygy

Neo Member
Both my bro and I would buy this. Double Dip for me, so at least two copies sold.

I think it would easily hit 1 mil. Throw in some Nintendo exclusive content such as vehicles and easter eggs (Lego City Undercover or Need for Speed Most Wanted U style) and it would be 1.5-2mil lifetime.

I think in term of tech, the Switch will be able to handle GTA5 but only at PS3/X360 level. Maybe they can manage to make run at 900p in docked mode, but It's totally up to the developers if they want to release it on the Switch. The game is on every major platform now. Why would people really demand a Switch edition?

xrnzaaas

Playing GTA V in portable form would be great (even with PS3 graphics), but it ain't happening unless Switch becomes a major sales hit.

mario_O

Isn't GTA V very CPU bound? The Switch CPU (3 cores @1ghz) looks really weak for big open worlds with lots of geometry. I know it runs Zelda, but that's mostly empty space compared to everything that's going on in GTA V city.

This is obviously speculation, but what do people feel the actual real world chances of GTA5 on Switch are?

Concept approval: GTA has been on Nintendo platforms before with their off-shoot handheld entries. GTA: Advance on GBA, GTA:Chinatown Wars on DS, etc. It's not as if having GTA on a Nintendo platform is unprecedented.

If we're being honest, we know Nintendo's relationship with this type of material can be shaky. We all know their history and the squeaky clean image they always strive for. Still, I don't believe there would be a problem here for GTAV. Even Manhunt released on Wii.

Technical: This is my real question mark. The game ran on PS3 and Xbox 360 with far less RAM. Those who understand the switch architecture more (specifically about the CPU and GPU), can the Switch hold up in portable mode for a slightly juiced up version similar to the PS3/360 outing? Really would love to know what people think about this one.

Developer relationship, development environment, misc: Do Rockstar, Take Two, and Nintendo have a healthy enough relationship these days to make this want to happen?
Is Rockstar even in a strategic position to want to port a game this many years out? (I suspect they will port this as long as they can, like the others)

Anything else you can think of? Interested in hearing people's opinions on whether it can be done and whether it will be done!

0 Chance. Not enough power. And Nintendo would never delve into a game that for the most part, is seen by the general public as a game where you get to shoot people and pick up hookers.

VariantX

I think in term of tech, the Switch will be able to handle GTA5 but only at PS3/X360 level. Maybe they can manage to make run at 900p in docked mode, but It's totally up to the developers if they want to release it on the Switch. The game is on every major platform now. Why would people really demand a Switch edition?

They should go ahead and cancel the switch minecraft port and the late as fuck Wii U port of minecraft was equally pointless too. Im not saying port the game or not, but the argument that every one else has played it elsewhere just doesn't apply to a tiny handful of franchises and GTA is definitely part of that very exclusive club. Looking at whose playing what and how many people you can sell this software to are much better arguments to make here.

Matt

0 Chance. Not enough power. And Nintendo would never delve into a game that for the most part, is seen by the general public as a game where you get to shoot people and pick up hookers.
Neither of these points are true.

Why in the world would the Switch not be able to run a game that ran on the 360?

And Nintendo hasn't really had any more stringent content controls than Sony or MS for a long time.

Ninman

Someone already said it, Nintendo needs the "holy trinity" of third party games on the switch, GTA V, Rocket League and Overwatch, Im sure this little machine can run those.

If the switch played on a PS3/360 I can't understand people saying it couldn't work on the Switch.

The switch has more power than either of those,no? And it has basically the same controller layout.

Not sure what the issue would be from a technical perspective.

I would 100% buy it a third time on Switch. It's a staple screw around in randomly game just like Skyrim which makes it ideal for portable time.

Ninja Dom

I remember Nintendo fanboys pissed off because -Resident Evil 6- and -Battlefield- weren't on the Wii. Nintendo fan port begging is always the biggest joke.

GTA port begging happens every new Nintendo generation, but this might be the first time -ever- that the idea of a GTA port to Nintendo's new hardware isn't entirely moronic

But Resident Evil 5 wasn't on Wii either, and that came out in 2009 at the height of the Wii.

Resident Evil 6 came out around the same time as Wii U launch.

Someone already said it, Nintendo needs the "holy trinity" of third party games on the switch, GTA V, Rocket League and Overwatch, Im sure this little machine can run those.

I don't think Overwatch would work well. Is there any always online game coming to the Switch at all? Dragon Quest X is the only one that I think that might happen.

foltzie1

They had the engine running on the Wii U. So there is some willingness to look at a Nintendo console.

But yeah I'll believe when I see it.

Still portable GTA would be fun.

I had a lot of fun with GTA Advanced.

Mikey Jr.

I think the true litmus test would be if the next COD comes to switch.

If it doesn't, then I think it has real problems.

Isn't GTA V very CPU bound? The Switch CPU (3 cores @1ghz) looks really weak for big open worlds with lots of geometry. I know it runs Zelda, but that's mostly empty space compared to everything that's going on in GTA V city.

Let's put it this way, WiiU was already a tiny bit stronger than PS360, Switch has even more power than WiiU. So yeah, it can easily run it.

I don't think this will happen tho.

Also Zelda has a lot going on with its physics system.

To the crowd saying there is no point as it's a 4 year old game: absolutely disagree. This 4 year old game has sold 75+ million copies and continues to sell every single month. For good reason, too.

I can only argue from my perspective on this, but a fully portable GTAV game would be enough of a novelty that I would be immediately on board even though I've already played through the single player before. If Switch gets into 3DS-like sales, I could absolutely see a business case for getting a team to port the single player version of the game over. It practically sells itself on novelty alone.

Having said that, I think people bring up a good point that it might not happen for logistical & practical reasons: mainly the GTA:Online portion of the game. While I would certainly buy a version without online mode, there are probably many who would see it as a huge downgrade. And honestly the GTA:Online part of the game is probably the hardest part to fit into Switch as well as the most profitable part for Take Two/Rockstar.

Memento

I cant believe there is actually some people here that believes there is a chance GTA5 on Switch could happen.

Come on...

I cant believe there is actually some people here that believes there is a chance GTA5 on Switch could happen.

Come on...

It's not that laughable this time around. Honestly. Of course there is a chance. Rockstar does release games on Nintendo platforms and they have enjoyed immense ongoing success for GTA5.

Aleh

The ones doubting the Switch can run it seriously give me a headache. And people say Nintendo are out of touch with reality...

And you think they "don't care" to port it? It will not take them much effort and it'll sell easily because we've seen how people bought it multiple times already, and this time it's portable.

If it doesn't happen, it will be for one reason, and one reason only: stupidity.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Witches 3 is the better question to me.
That's about a zero percent chance. If devs have to ensure their game runs in the compromised handheld mode, Witcher 3 has zero shot.

CDPR couldn't be bothered to even issue a patch for the PS4 Pro. Why they put the time and money into a seriously crippled version of W3 for an untested market?

Tunned

As far as porting GTAV it can happen just like with Skyrim. Otherwise another GTA along the lines of Chinatown Wars would be fricking epic on the Switch.

Anth0ny

It sold 75 million fucking copies. It was the #3 best selling game of January 2017, over 3 years since release.

The game is ubiquitous. You need it on your platform. Make it happen.

I don't understand the argument about how it would sell. GTA5 is the most commonly purchased PS4/X1 game for new systems. The game still has a big market. If the game is a relatively easy port there is money to be made.

I don't think the opportunity cost is great vs doing something else but I have little doubt jt would make money.

Chinatown Wars, which Nintendo highlighted at thier E3 conference, was largely about those things with an extra heavy focus on drug dealing.

It's not 1993 anymore.

And how on earth does it not have enough power?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Fuck it, I'm just gonna call it. GTA V Switch announced at the Nintendo E3 conference this year.

Oh yeah, I'm also predicting Nintendo will bring back the traditional E3 conference this year. They're gonna make a bang at E3 I reckon.

border

Rockstar released a grand total of 3 Wii games, despite the fact that the console sold like 100 million units. After 2009, they ceased releasing Wii games altogether.

What makes you think they would have interest in another Nintendo system?

What is with this trend of people that like to comment on technical aspects of game and console development that they are WOEFULLY uninformed about?

GTAV on Switch is almost certainly a matter of only if it makes financial sense for them to do it. Period. I'm not even sure how it became a debate about if it would be technically possible.

Top Bottom