• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of Fire 6 announced for PC/tablet/smartphones

vareon

Capcom spoke to Eurogamer about BoF6, and said that "they are in the process of evaluating whether Breath of Fire 6 will be released outside Japan."

So there's still hope.

Online games like this operate on a regional basis. It's not a simple localization process, so I really doubt it's worth it for Capcom. It's the same reason why we rarely see Squenix's FF/Kingdom Hearts social games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Because that way everyone will want to play it regardless of what is. See how both FFXI and FFXIV have 6 million players, DQX has 4 million and how WoW bombed because it wasn't called Warcraft 4.

Comparing substantial MMOs to this shit is pretty hilarious in a bad way.

Goli

No one knows anything about it other than its genre and platform and you've declared it as garbage. Bravo.

We know that it'll include both a single and multiplayer mode and that you'll be able to transform into a dragon and those things you'd expect from a BoF game. It's in the OP. But the thing is this is not the BoF6 anyone really wanted and thus... this happened.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's soon been 24 hours... have people calmed down yet :D?!

Kenai

Come back to this thread almost a day later and it still stings. Even worse, it makes me not want a lot of old franchises so much anymore lest they be ruined in this fashion.

No one knows anything about it other than its genre and platform and you've declared it as garbage. Bravo.

Most here are going by historical precedence of both Japanese social games as well as Capcom's inability to make a good phone game period. There is no justifiable reason to think this game won't be terrible. You can hope of course, but most of us know better.

Raitaro

It's soon been 24 hours... have people calmed down yet :D?!

Well, if we are anything like Homer Simpson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6mh8SX_sXs), most of us probably have reached the fifth of Kübler-Ross' five stages of grief: acceptance (after denial, anger, bargaining and depression).

That, or we are all permanently stuck in depression and are currently curled up in a corner somewhere...

(And yes, I know this is all a bit of an exaggeration, but hey, it's GAF right?)

Edit: going by the two posts above me, some could also be at the stage of anger still ;-)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Still no Dark Schala post?

Shingro

This is why garbage like this exists.

No, this exists because Capcom has no goddamn idea what it has in it's IP.

Don't blame fans for the company making trendy bullshit. This is a mobile/tablet money chase with whatever skin they could throw on it, not a BoF fandom chase. It's clear to anyone who uses their head a little and remembers how tenderly Capcom has treated their mega man fans the last few years.

Also: As a fan who is working on a BoF cosplay.... Looks like they've forgotten how Breath of Fire went.... Still, if they manage something decent I'll give it a run. If they just threw a BoF skin over something generic, I'll give it a pass.

It's up to you development team... I'd play a good BoF game that came out on SNES emulators... So do this right and I'll buy it on any hardware you want.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm back from my shift, but even if I'm less irritated than I was this morning (which was a complete... I don't even know), I'm still incredibly disappointed. I have to say that sometimes I don't like it when companies go in a drastically different direction with some of their series. I like to go with the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it; but if you must, add onto it for the best". But some recent games in some of these series that we like to reminisce about have simply gone into a direction that's in an extreme that people don't wish for the series to be in. It's because people like being comfortable, playing games that they're familiar with. If the change has been too drastic, and if people aren't slowly eased into it, people are going to feel incredibly disappointed or at least, people will feel mixed about the game in question.

It's not just with Breath of Fire, either. One of my friends messaged me saying that Capcom's been doing this with their higher-tier stuff for years now, and to an extent that certainly is true. It certainly feels like Capcom's squandering all of the goodwill they had towards the beginning and midpoint of this generation when they released SF4, MM9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man ZX, Ghost Trick, bringing PW to the west, etc. And for what? Either an attempt at trying to secure wider audiences by making some changes for some of the games they release, or chasing after the emerging mobile market for a chance to increase their profits slightly.

My disappointment is rooted in the fact that a lot of the series that I loved as a kid, whether it's Genso Suikoden, Lufia, Mega Man, Contra, Commando, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, etc. have been (for the most part) reduced to current games in the series being nothing but unsubstantial playthings that you'd play for an hour or two each day, with very little sense of progression and unsubstantial game design. Or they may be IPs that you haven't heard from in a long time. Genso Suikoden is the exception, but it's become a series where the developer does not treat its legacy and what it means to its fanbase justice. Not to mention that both Capcom and Konami were my favourite companies when I was little.

I understand Capcom's idea of trying to go for a market that seems to be emerging in the games industry. It's just like how I get SE for doing the same thing. But I can't really support that idea because a lot of the games that these two companies have released on these platforms have been subpar in some way (ie: SE with the visual / UI department and lack of substance in systems for their mobile games, and Capcom with... well, you've seen Rockman xover). The fear is that Breath of Fire 6, a game that people have been waiting years for is on a platform that has controls that not everyone is comfortable with, it is an online touch RPG, and given Capcom's amazing effort with some of their mobile ventures, it's probably not going to look or play rather stellar either. It will lack substance and depth that people are used to seeing in traditional RPGs like BoF. That is why I'm disappointed.

Capcom has so many IPs that they can play around with, but they're either shelving them because they might not work in this retail environment at present, or they're making mobile sequels for that market (and, again, the real problem I have with that is that I don't think these games will have a lot of substance or depth to them at all). It just a huge shame that they're squandering their IPs in an attempt to gain a small profit at a lower cost, or they're even squandering the good will that their fans have had for them for decades. And that good will was gained due to their willingness to make their games even better, or diversify their IP so that there was something that the company had to offer to everyone.

Both Capcom and Konami are at the end of their ropes for me. It's a damn shame what they've become in the last generation or so. Very disappointing. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to be as disappointed with Capcom as I am with Konami this generation, but here we are.

This man right here... <3
tumblr_m2wfjlK1Tf1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

This so much this... well said!

Einbroch

Banned
I don't understand who this is for. BoF fans hate it and the casual crowd doesn't know what BoF is.

The hell are you doing, Capcom?

kevm3

I mean if they actually attempted to make a Breath of Fire game, but made it on the tablet/handhelds, who would be mad? But this has NOTHING to do with Breath of Fire. It looks like a generic MMO that they slapped the Breath of Fire name on. Where is Ryu and Nina?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was expressing my disgust about this on another forum and got mocked for deriding a game "I haven't played yet" that is obvious a sincere attempt at revitalizing a "dead franchise that never sold well to begin with". xD Hilarious. Because it's impossible to have an informed opinion on cash-grabbing mobile online touch games when comparing them to a franchise, right?

Top Bottom