• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of Fire 6 announced for PC/tablet/smartphones

O7AjBy

i really hate capcom sometimes

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ok. I never take sides, an I almost always see the business sense given my perspective, but fuck it. You won me over. Do not want.

I mean, I want. Pretty enthusiastically. But... No, not like this. Spinoff instead please.

There was this slim shimmer of hope when I read "BoF 6 announced for PC.." dashed like an egg under a cruel jackboot when the rest hit.

Remember when you ASSHOLES made fun of me for this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631806

THIS IS KARMA! SUCKERS! :D

TWELVE MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS TO GO!

You gloat to hide the tears. :(

Ok. I never take sides, an I almost always see the business sense given my perspective, but fuck it. You won me over. Do not want.

I mean, I want. Pretty enthusiastically. But... No, not like this. Spinoff instead please.

"Capcpom" and "business sense" are not sentence mates very often this generation, now have they? This isn't aimed at you, but masking grand money-vaporizing fuck-ups under the guise of "it was calculated business decision" doesn't mean it was any smarter than Dragon Quarter 2: Quarter Harder.

kswiston

After All The Bravest the impact would be "meh" at best.

All the bravest is extremely easy to ignore. I'm not even sure why people were upset over it. It's not like that was the first bad game to carry the Final Fantasy moniker, and there are actual main line games in the works for consoles.

This is basically a fuck you to anyone who was holding out hope for another Breath of Fire game on consoles or handhelds. Once you give a mainline number to a browser game, you are making it extremely clear that you have zero intentions of making a traditional entry again.

starmud

I'm frightened for ghost trick 2.

Honestly, it will interesting to see how this goes. It feels like shots fired against the traditional venues for a game like like this.

Part of me hope the experiment fails and this bombs. Either the audience follows to new venues or stays in a console like enviroment.

marrec

Banned
Indeed. This is why I'm very excited about the whole iOS7 standardized controller thing.

iOS-7-game-pads-2-.jpg

If this did ever take off, I think many people here will change their views about mobile gaming.

Nope, cause they would still be producing shallow games with awful graphics and stupid Social Gaming aspects and In-App Purchases.

Eusis

Indeed. This is why I'm very excited about the whole iOS7 standardized controller thing.

iOS-7-game-pads-2-.jpg

If this did ever take off, I think many people here will change their views about mobile gaming.
It DOES address one of the issues, but there's still two big ones to me: the frequently brought up business models, and the more overlooked issues about hardware advancement. A launch 3DS can run Animal Crossing or SMTIV just fine, an iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4g won't run Deus Ex: The Fall and I doubt it's very hot looking on iPhone 4S (though it's strangely not very easy to find impressions there online), and both are devices that not only are more expensive than handhelds generally are but are obsolete that much faster.

Granted, for the kinds of devices they are that's fine because there's a lot more to do than play games and that stuff will just innately benefit from more potent hardware without compromising older stuff as badly, but it's the same reason I'm glad consoles have been kicking around while PCs have, and why I find it exasperating when people feel this is a model that should be adopted by them. Likewise I don't really mind these existing alongside handhelds and consoles, I just wouldn't want handhelds or worse BOTH to be shoved out as a result. Though hopefully (for me) we really are going to reach the point of diminishing returns sooner and later and then battery aside (fucking Apple) tablets and phones will be useful way longer for playing games or just staying relevant in general.

kurbaan

Banned

iOS-7-game-pads-2-.jpg

The bigger problem is on a phone I am always getting messages or calling people, whatsapp etc. It just interferes with the game. Oh and battery life issues because I dont want my phone dead because I played the game too long.

Goli

It DOES address one of the issues, but there's still two big ones to me: the frequently brought up business models, and the more overlooked issues about hardware advancement. A launch 3DS can run Animal Crossing or SMTIV just fine, an iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4g won't run Deus Ex: The Fall and I doubt it's very hot looking on iPhone 4S (though it's strangely not very easy to find impressions there online), and both are devices that not only are more expensive than handhelds generally are but are obsolete that much faster.

Granted, for the kinds of devices they are that's fine because there's a lot more to do than play games and that stuff will just innately benefit from more potent hardware without compromising older stuff as badly, but it's the same reason I'm glad consoles have been kicking around while PCs have, and why I find it exasperating when people feel this is a model that should be adopted by them. Likewise I don't really mind these existing alongside handhelds and consoles, I just wouldn't want handhelds or worse BOTH to be shoved out as a result. Though hopefully (for me) we really are going to reach the point of diminishing returns sooner and later and then battery aside (fucking Apple) tablets and phones will be useful way longer for playing games or just staying relevant in general.

Kind of unrelated to this BoF thread but I have an iPhone 4s and Deus Ex: The Fall looks great more or less like the bullshots but at a lower resolution and with a few frame rate dips ocassionally.

The bigger problem is on a phone I am always getting messages or calling people, whatsapp etc. It just interferes with the game. Oh and battery life issues because I dont want my phone dead because I played the game too long.
Tablets.

Ferrio

Banned

iOS-7-game-pads-2-.jpg

Okay so that addresses the controller issue, but doesn't mean quality of the games will change.

These developers aren't developing on the phones because of the system itself, they're doing it because it's cheap as hell to bang out some social game and snag some easy money.

So they're not suddenly going to put more effort into the games, because if that's what they truly wanted to do they'd of put it on some of the already established handhelds.

Eusis

Kind of unrelated to this BoF thread but I have an iPhone 4s and Deus Ex: The Fall looks great more or less like the bullshots but at a lower resolution and with a few frame rate dips ocassionally.
Either they're really good developers (plausible, my worst experiences were with GTAIII and The Walking Dead, both from developers without the best track records) or we really have been reaching the point of drastically diminishing returns and at this point it's less like jumping from PSP to Vita and more like DS to DSi: the latter CAN run a bit nicer, but nothing that bars you from playing games. And while I haven't stressed it as much I don't think I'll have similar issues on the Nexus 7 as I did with the iPod Touch 4g, though Apple's traditionally treated those like the red headed stepchildren of the iOS line.

Either they're really good developers (plausible, my worst experiences were with GTAIII and The Walking Dead, both from developers without the best track records) or we really have been reaching the point of drastically diminishing returns and at this point it's less like jumping from PSP to Vita and more like DS to DSi: the latter CAN run a bit nicer, but nothing that bars you from playing games. And while I haven't stressed it as much I don't think I'll have similar issues on the Nexus 7 as I did with the iPod Touch 4g, though Apple's traditionally treated those like the red headed stepchildren of the iOS line.

I think we're reaching diminishing returns, but not in the way most people use it. Most people say we're hitting that in terms of technology (IE: Greater enhancements of CPU/GPU will grant no discernably better looking games) but the truth is that we're hitting diminishing returns in the form of budgets. Companies aren't willing to throw more money at games this generation than last... this is the first generation for that to ever happen... so you may have super powerful CPUs/GPUs, but you don't have the budget to hire the people to take advantage of it.

Goli

No, I think it still is like PSP -> Vita.
I mean, you can find better phones/devices than an iPhone 4s in the market and you have been able to since long ago, the thing is, regarding mobile games, that companies don't want to lose the part of the market that still hasn't made the switch to newer devices, it's too significant. The Fall for example could probably have looked even better than it currently does had they tailor made it for the latest iPad/iPhone's hardware, but they would have lost all the people who don't own them.
In the case of 2D games this gets even worse, since resolutions are increasing all the time, and we see this not only on mobile games but also on PC/console, which is why the "8 bit" style is popular nowadays.

Eusis

I think we're reaching diminishing returns, but not in the way most people use it. Most people say we're hitting that in terms of technology (IE: Greater enhancements of CPU/GPU will grant no discernably better looking games) but the truth is that we're hitting diminishing returns in the form of budgets. Companies aren't willing to throw more money at games this generation than last... this is the first generation for that to ever happen... so you may have super powerful CPUs/GPUs, but you don't have the budget to hire the people to take advantage of it.
Oh, in this case I meant mobile hardware, not consoles. I got the impression there was only so much that can be done due to heat/battery considerations that consoles and computers don't have to worry about to the same extent, though it still seems plenty of surprises keep coming. Though I guess they probably don't want to blow the bank on a mobile game either.
No, I think it still is like PSP -> Vita.
I mean, you can find better phones/devices than an iPhone 4s in the market and you have been able to since long ago, the thing is, regarding mobile games, that companies don't want to lose the part of the market that still hasn't made the switch to newer devices, it's too significant. The Fall for example could probably have looked even better than it currently does had they tailor made it for the latest iPad/iPhone's hardware, but they would have lost all the people who don't own them.
In the case of 2D games this gets even worse, since resolutions are increasing all the time, and we see this not only on mobile games but also on PC/console, which is the "8 bit" style is popular nowadays.
Damn. Well, I guess I can only wait and see what happens in the near future, I do want to get an iPad eventually, and it'd be nice if the worst I had to worry about was the battery slowly getting worse rather than it being too far behind to play games.
The least of this game's issues is that it's an iOS game.
Honestly, yeah, that's sounding like the case. I was one of those that saw PC and thought "well, if it's still a solid installment that just means I have to get on Steam or something instead", but this looks less like FF Dimensions and more like a browser game with mobile versions.

Not a BoF fan, but the closest thing to a positive comment I can make is that it's not like this is being produced instead of a more traditional BoF6.

Dat modern market...dat modern market.

I wonder when these phone controllers are really gonna start to take off. They're basically our only hope at this point. lol.

Eusis

Not a BoF fan, but the closest thing to a positive comment I can make is that it's not like this is being produced instead of a more traditional BoF6.
It may poison the well going forward however, and that's probably what pisses people off, even if they're not consciously thinking it I do wonder if they acknowledge that on some level given how big of a deal numbered installments in a series usually are.

Though I guess on the flipside if it tanks but BoF is still seen as valuable they'd just do a reboot on a handheld or whatever instead.

Jac_Solar

Its evil to accomodate the largest portable market and widest consumer base now? Huehuehue.

The only ones who cared about a numbered Breath of Fire sequel are the BoF fanbase -- the portable/iOS market, or the people this is made for, probably do not care at all. Why would they make it an officially numbered sequel? It doesn't make sense. The only thing it'll do is anger the fanbase and tarnish the reputation of the franchise - there might be, like, 2 additional buyers they are getting from the BoF fanbase because it's a numbered sequel. And like I said, the fact it's a numbered sequel just isn't relevant to the iOS/portable gamefans, or makes a difference to the people who enjoy these types of games. They are just as likely to buy "Breath Of Fire: blahblahblah", as they are of buying "Breath of Fire 6" - or, as Tripon mentions, perhaps people new to the franchise would be LESS likely to buy Breath of Fire 6 as opposed to Breath of Fire: Blahblahblah, since Breath of Fire: Blahblahblah indicates that it's a standalone title.

Tripon

Here's what I'm not getting. The name Breath of Fire only means something to fans of the series, which by this time I imagine to be a small community. That same community is not happy with the direction of the series. So then that means that Capcom expects new players to buy this game.... Except, why would a new person buy Breath of Fire 6 without playing at least one of the other Breath of Fire's games and become a fan of the series?

Its almost as if the people who made this decision at Capcom didn't think things through.

Yuterald

You know, there's really no excuse for this. When we have companies like Atlus producing and releasing games like SMT IV (true PS2 era-like sequels that live up to the name and in some cases, surpasses its predecessors) there's no reason why Capcom should be treating one of their beloved RPG franchises like this. Why not create a team to make a true, respectful followup for the 3DS (since it's a format that's doing well). What is there problem, really? Is it upper management? Or just incompetency amongst the staff? No one with a vision? I truly believe it's a combination of all of the above.

You've probably got executives/management looking at the mobile market as the the most viable outlet for their legacies, but at the same time, is there really a staff at Capcom who could produce a Breath of Fire that could live up to the classics, let alone the caliber of something like Dragon Quarter? I don't know, I mean, they're still capable of making decent, cool games (Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, etc.), but you most certainly cannot argue that they're a shell of their former self (mostly because of the departure of Mikami and the Clover staff).

I just don't get it why things have come to this. =(

Here's what I'm not getting. The name Breath of Fire only means something to fans of the series, which by this time I imagine to be a small community. That same community is not happy with the direction of the series. So then that means that Capcom expects new players to buy this game.... Except, why would a new person buy Breath of Fire 6 without playing at least one of the other Breath of Fire's games and become a fan of the series?

Its almost as if the people who made this decision at Capcom didn't think things through.

Maybe the game will turn out nice! Graphics look decent going by the OP. Kind of getting a Saga Frontier 2 vibe from them. Is it a traditional RPG only with touch controls? If so, I don't see why we should be getting so upset. We all have PCs and smartphones at least, right?

Ferrio

Banned
Maybe the game will turn out nice! Graphics look decent going by the OP. Kind of getting a Saga Frontier 2 vibe from them. Is it a traditional RPG only with touch controls? If so, I don't see why we should be getting so upset. We all have PCs and smartphones at least, right?

1. There's nothing BoF about it.
2. Everything points that it isn't a traditional RPG at all, but some kinda social game.

Runefaust

Neo Member
The fact that this little experiment is the official sixth entry in the series is what really grinds our gears... It shows a complete lack of faith in the franchise on Capcom's end. Despite whether the game is visually appealing or not, from what's being pitched it doesn't sound like it's going to be an RPG at all. Sure, it may have RPG elements, but every game now-a-days has character customization and stat allocation.

Taking into account Capcom's recent, and questionable, decision to hold off on a new Darkstalkers fighter because sales of Darkstalkers Ressurection (HD makeover of 16+ year old games ffs, and despite selling quite well) didn't live up to their expectations, I can only guess they're testing the waters with this.

Breath of Fire I-V will retain their integrity, and I can only hope that one day Capcom will wise up and BoF will return to glory the correct way; on consoles, as an RPG.

GhaleonQ

I really wanted to see Strider again, and I was rewarded with ash.

However, I can't compare what happened to you Breath Of Fire fans. It's like you have to swallow the ashes.

iOS-7-game-pads-2-.jpg

Yay! a 600€ portable with hadware revisions every year!. Is like a Nintendo portable nightmare.

It may poison the well going forward however, and that's probably what pisses people off, even if they're not consciously thinking it I do wonder if they acknowledge that on some level given how big of a deal numbered installments in a series usually are.

Cynical as it may be, I don't think there's any BoF well left to poison aside from rereleases of the previous titles.

Top Bottom