• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

ciD_Vain

For once, pots are safe in Hyrule.

0cc28b74ec5f78f47ff1bf251ce6aaf2.gif
Lol what's this from?

Social

While I love the idea of shrines, the way I had always imagined them was more integrated into the world, not just a portal to a distinct Puzzle Room. I imagined a large crevasse in a cliff that you'd climb up into, and have puzzles and stuff cut into the rock. Natural formations and ancient ruins that you'd puzzle your way through, with no transition from the overworld. They'd be part of the overworld.

Still pretty neat, but could be neater.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Kind of like the tombs in Tomb Raider. The way it is in this Zelda could make it get stale/boring/generic quite quickly.

Majukun

You can tell the devs didn't even think you could do that since the camera doesn't even follow you correctly when you are launched. Hopefully Nintendo leaves that in and doesn't gimp it to avoid people breaking the game or something.

Bill Trinen said you could even levitate with magnesis. If you are standing on top of a metal object, you can't magnesis the object. But, if you take a metal object, and drop it on top of another metal object and get on top of that one, then you can magnesis the one below because the game won't count it as you being on top of it, and you'll be able to lift everything with you on top and float around.

Again, hopefully Nintendo doesn't gimp that because it seems you could abuse that to travel large sections. I wouldn't be against having some sort of time limit for the magnesis, that would prevent people from maybe abusing it too much?
I hope they fix that, seems like something that would break the game, also it doesn't make any sense from a physics perspective

I hope they fix that, seems like something that would break the game, also it doesn't make any sense from a physics perspective

Right, I'm all for messing around and figuring cool tricks out, but that's obviously something that you shouldn't be able to do. It sounds way too powerful. Seesaw, yes. Levitating, no. Climbing on stasis rock? Maybe.

Majukun

Right, I'm all for messing around and figuring cool tricks out, but that's obviously something that you shouldn't be able to do. It sounds way too powerful. Seesaw, yes. Levitating, no. Climbing on stasis rock? Maybe.
probably the climbing on stasis rock (if I got what you mean) it's out of question because they fly way too fast, and the game would not be able to load everything in time

phanphare

Banned
In the end of LA didn't he wake up floating on his ship's remains?

yeah

they could just hand wave it or explain it with some inception shit though

he does wake up in a water-filled pod though, they could just explain it like that affected where he thought he was while he was still in a dream-like state

Earendil

This is the way I have perceived the addition. Don't mind my self-congratulation :-D, but we actually did a podcast over a year ago and I completely predicted the existence of these shrines (I called them "mini-dungeons") and the fact that they would, in contrast to other open-world games, include more memorable and unique puzzle elements as well as comparably superior rewards. I was thrilled to see this come to life in the actual final product, as I feel it will provide a massive boost to the appeal of the open-world adventure formula.

To me, the most significant downfall of other open-world games has been the homogeneity and lack of purpose of these wayward and ubiquitous attractions. If Nintendo is able to effectively mitigate this sentiment, we could have a serious hit on our hands, both critically and commercially.

OMG othersteve sighting!

Playing TPHD right now. Dear God please do not let horses in BotW control like this. I'm not all that worried considering the whole, "Real horses don't run into trees very often" thing, but how could Aonuma taut improved horse controls prior to TPHD's release?! Epona sticks to everything! Crossing an open world like this would be impossible.

Playing TPHD right now. Dear God please do not let horses in BotW control like this. I'm not all that worried considering the whole, "Real horses don't run into trees very often" thing, but how could Aonuma taut improved horse controls prior to TPHD's release?! Epona sticks to everything! Crossing an open world like this would be impossible.

Because Aonuma was proud of the work his team put into making the horse control properly in the world so that you could have exciting sequences like Mobile Guardian fights?

I'm pretty sure they're aware of the issue that the Horse needs a path finding AI of its own for open world games like these or to have the player perform actions apart from controlling the horse. Considering Nintendo's rather consistent execution when it comes to AI and scripting, this shouldn't be an issue to worry about.

One concern I have is menu eating. That really hurts action based combat that aren't based around score. The simple solution is just to not have opening the menu pause the game. That's basically my only concern, if they fix that it'll probably be one of the better action adventure games period since Link's moveset looks expansive enough with all the Rune abilities (you can have two bombs active, potentially use magnesis to drop stuff on unsuspecting enemies or lure them into traps, stop them with ZA WARUDO [stasis], erect barriers for cover in water and give slow mo arrows on command), the above average stealth system, the constant switching of weapons (that can have utility like setting fire [fire rod] or blowing them [Korok leaf] around and this is just the first Zone of the game, pretty impressive to see this much variety early on), item throwing, luring groups into flurry rushes, disarming with parries and shield surfing for spacing (and spinning into fools to get the drop on them). Outside the menu eating, they've really established a nice flow of combat that promotes improvisation, which were my favorite moments in MGSV.

RagnarokX

6uXsAKk.jpg

A7SMQ6c.jpg

Y4uHIxb.jpg

V1UzyMz.jpg

So I was watching some footage and noticed some Hylian I missed.

Whenever you acquire a rune the text in the sheikah slate refers to what number ITEM it is. So this confirms that runes = items.

Also the items have a specific order according to the slate.

vareon

Can you construct a see-saw, burn the grass in front of you, then launch from the see-saw, put a sailcloth and fly higher using the heat?

Neiteio

Depends on how high the heat reaches I guess. I mean link got some major air from that catapult.
Here's what I'm thinking:

- Use Magnesis to stack up metal girders to create a tower
- Place flint and wood at the top of the tower
- Use Magnesis to stack up a slide taller than the tower, leading down to the tower
- Use Magnesis to create two seesaws at the base of the tower
- On one seesaw, place a sword
- On the other seesaw, place yourself
- At the top of the slide, place two boulders
- Hold the first boulder in place with Stasis, then release
- Boulder No. 1 rolls down the slide onto Seesaw No. 1, launching Link into the air
- Boulder No. 2 rolls down the slide onto Seesaw No. 2, launching the sword up to the tower
- The sword falls on the flint and wood at the top of the tower, creating a fire about 25 feet off the ground
- Deploy the paraglider and catch the updraft from the tower to fly into space

...it's so simple!

RagnarokX

This has convinced me. Very well put together video.

I agree that it's the Fallen Hero timeline, but I think it's between OoT and ALttP. There are too many OoT and SS references for it to be after ALttP. Hyrule Historia says that the meadow that the Master Sword is found in in ALttP is the remains of a temple, which is most likely the Temple of Time, so it wouldn't be in a game set after. The Temple of Time is in a lesser state of ruin than in TP, which takes place 100 to a few hundred years after OoT, and it's surrounded by the ruins of OoT's Castle Town, including the fountain and possibly old Hyrule Castle.

jHcut6d.gif

ALBW also takes place after ALttP and would deeeeefinitely have mentioned this.

This game stars a Hero who failed. We already know of a Hero who failed in this timeline: the Hero of Time. The Master Sword isn't just worn down from the elements, most of the damage is chip damage from battle. He awakens from a 100 year slumber in a medical chamber wearing OoT-era Sheikah underpants.

NWR's main reason for thinking it's after ALttP is that Link has epic sideburns, but after 100 years in a stasis tank anyone would have longer hair. Wind Waker depicts the Hero of Time having epic sideburns:
http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/pennyarcade.vanillaforums.com/editor/om/dbwhlwpinf4a.jpg

pYVZ8COl.png

This is the Champion Shirt, which is the main clothing we've seen Link wearing in BotW. People thought Link's armbands may have been Gerudo influenced since they are very similar to Ganon's in OoT, however it's possible Ganon had those armbands because he had the trust of King Hyrule. The colors are similar to those seen in the ancient advanced civilization in Skyward Sword.

My thoughts are that following the defeat of the Hero of Time, Zelda and the sages began trying to seal Ganon by themselves as a last resort. However, since Ganon had the complete triforce and the power of a god, that would be no easy task. They couldn't seal Ganon without Link stabbing him in the face when Ganon only had the Triforce of Power, so why would they be able to do it without him when Ganon had the whole thing? The entire purpose of the Master Sword is to counter the power of the Triforce. So they put Link in a medical chamber to heal and engaged in a 100 year long battle to keep Ganon contained.

The Old Man is probably the King of Hyrule. He looks near identical to King Hyrule from Wind Waker. Since he has no castle due to Ganon he's been living on the plateau watching over Link.

ALttP refers to Ganon as The Great Cataclysm. Cataclysm is a synonym for Calamity, and Ganon is referred to in BotW as Calamity Ganon. ALttP's backstory also refers to Ganon attacking the world as a smoke-like force, which is what Calamity Ganon looks like.

Another thing is that Zelda refers to Link as Hyrule's light that must once more shine upon the land, and Zelda mentions in OoT that she had a dream of Link as a light shining from the forests.

OoT:
"I had a dream... In the dream, dark storm clouds were billowing over the land of Hyrule... But suddenly, a ray of light shot out of the forest, parted the clouds, and lit up the ground... The Light turned into a figure holding a green and shining stone, followed by a fairy... I knew this was a prophecy that someone would come from the forest... Yes, I thought you might be the one..."

BotW:
"Link... you are the light- our light- that must shine upon Hyrule once again."

Votron

Isn't that going to jack the price of games up?

If the console is somewhere between Wii U and PS4 in power games could potentially be 30-50GB in size. It's going to add at least $5 a game surely?

I just went on alibaba for bulk SDXC Class 10 sdcards and it lists them each at around $6 each.

Now considering nintendo will go with propietery readonly- flash cards.. It would EVEN be cheaper and also based on the contract with the suppier, that would even lower the price for each. SO yea I think it is definitely doable.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Haha at that catapault video. Everytime I see someone suggest something crazy, I think to myself no way, and the game proves me wrong.

bridegur

While I love the idea of shrines, the way I had always imagined them was more integrated into the world, not just a portal to a distinct Puzzle Room. I imagined a large crevasse in a cliff that you'd climb up into, and have puzzles and stuff cut into the rock. Natural formations and ancient ruins that you'd puzzle your way through, with no transition from the overworld. They'd be part of the overworld.

Still pretty neat, but could be neater.

Agreed. I think just removing the loading screen would do a lot to make them seem like a natural part of the world.

TheMoon

btw anyone basing any zelda theory on sideburns is officially cray cray.

Can you construct a see-saw, burn the grass in front of you, then launch from the see-saw, put a sailcloth and fly higher using the heat?

heat doesn't rise 20 meters upwards. so no.

MADGAME

I just went on alibaba for bulk SDXC Class 10 sdcards and it lists them each at around $6 each.

Now considering nintendo will go with propietery readonly- flash cards.. It would EVEN be cheaper and also based on the contract with the suppier, that would even lower the price for each. SO yea I think it is definitely doable.

Came here to read comments but now my head hurts looking at your avatar.

chadboban

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Use Magnesis to stack up metal girders to create a tower
- Place flint and wood at the top of the tower
- Use Magnesis to stack up a slide taller than the tower, leading down to the tower
- Use Magnesis to create two seesaws at the base of the tower
- On one seesaw, place a sword
- On the other seesaw, place yourself
- At the top of the slide, place two boulders
- Hold the first boulder in place with Stasis, then release
- Boulder No. 1 rolls down the slide onto Seesaw No. 1, launching Link into the air
- Boulder No. 2 rolls down the slide onto Seesaw No. 2, launching the sword up to the tower
- The sword falls on the flint and wood at the top of the tower, creating a fire about 25 feet off the ground
- Deploy the paraglider and catch the updraft from the tower to fly into space

...it's so simple!

Goddamn I'm gonna try so much shit in this game.

Neiteio

Guys I just had an amazing dream

OK, so you're halfway through Breath of the Wild, when the Old Man appears.

First, he's all like, "Hey."

Then he reveals himself to be King Daphnes, a.k.a. the King of Red Lions.

OK, so that's sort of expected, right? But here's the best part:

Instead of turning into a lion boat, he turns into a goddamn lion MECHA.

"Get inside me, boy," he says.

"I-I'm not sure I w-want to," Link stammers.

The king then scoops up Link and pops him in the cockpit.

You then start flying through the skies while these lyrics play:

Don't worry about the future
It's all right
Because a better picture we can't find
Just like our dreams
They've gotta be free
So, Anyway, Let's move on

How tits would that be??

Dmax3901

Guys I just had an amazing dream

OK, so you're halfway through Breath of the Wild, when the Old Man appears.

First, he's all like, "Hey."

Then he reveals himself to be King Daphnes, a.k.a. the King of Red Lions.

OK, so that's sort of expected, right? But here's the best part:

Instead of turning into a lion boat, he turns into a goddamn lion MECHA.

"Get inside me, boy," he says.

"I-I'm not sure I w-want to," Link stammers.

The king then scoops up Link and pops him in the cockpit.

You then start flying through the skies while these lyrics play:

Don't worry about the future
It's all right
Because a better picture we can't find
Just like our dreams
They've gotta be free
So, Anyway, Let's move on

How tits would that be??

That would be 3/10 tits.

Nosgotham

Ragnarok is on point. its a RESURRECTION chamber. its the hero of time who died and is resurrected. i think it takes place after ALTTP though.

So one more nipple than the average person! Net gain.

That's not 3 tits out of 10 tits, that's three tenths tits. And not even the part with the nipple. It's like, 1/2 of a sideboob, at best.

Edit - Reverse quoting to watch the world burn:

He said "3/10 tits." Tits, plural. Not tit, singular. Your fraction only works if it's referring to a single tit and it's a fraction thereof! Ergo, three whole nipples.

It's not unusual to pluralize a fraction though.

Neiteio

That's not 3 tits out of 10 tits, that's three tenths tits. And not even the part with the nipple. It's like, 1/2 of a sideboob, at best.
He said "3/10 tits." Tits, plural. Not tit, singular. Your fraction only works if it's referring to a single tit and it's a fraction thereof! Ergo, three whole nipples.

Anyways, how 'bout that Breath of the Wild?

The fact finding a rupee is special is, well, special!

What's curious that Hyrule Historia mentions is that the Knights help save Hyrule and seal Ganon away. I'm curious if the Sheikah are the Knights referred to in the backstory.

Majora's Mask music is so hauntingly beautiful. I don't really like replaying the game, but the emotions I experienced while I first played it make it really hard to imagine a game replacing it as my favorite, even Breath of the Wild.

Anyway, you guys probably did this already, but the Hylian that's on the platform outside of the shrines say "CALLING". I think.

Neiteio

Not gonna lie. That was pretty good.

A couple of mind-blowing moments there. Doesn't really answer why Hyrule Castle is okay, seemingly where it should be on the map when there are ruins of said Castle on the Great Plateau.
There are a few problems with the theory that this Link is the same Link from OoT, set in the Fallen Link timeline.

1) Ganon's Castle completely destroyed Hyrule Castle in OoT. By the time Link goes to confront Ganonorf at the end of OoT, Hyrule Castle is already gone. So if this was in the timeline where Link falls in the final battle, there should be no traces of Hyrule Castle (Eastern Abbey included) since Ganon's Castle already destroyed it.

2) Calamity Ganon is shackled to a new Hyrule Castle, separate from the old one. If this is the Fallen Link timeline, where did this second castle come from, and how did they get Ganon to leave Ganon's Castle so he could become trapped in the second castle? And what then became of Ganon's Castle?

While it's the least interesting timeline, this actually makes me think this game might be in the child Link timeline (Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess), since Hyrule Castle wasn't completely destroyed there. It would've still been around to leave some signs it once existed. As the castle fell apart, a new castle was created. Ganon reappeared, a battle took place, Link failed that battle (different from the one in OoT), went into hibernation, and someone trapped Ganon in the new castle.

In other words:

I think this game will introduce a past conflict where Link fails and Ganon is trapped in a castle... but it won't be a conflict we've seen before. If they make it the same conflict from OoT, they'll have to do some serious retconning to explain how Hyrule Castle wasn't completely destroyed by Ganon's Castle, and how Ganon was lured into a second castle on the other side of Hyrule, and where that second castle came from when Ganon was in control of Ganon's Castle.

My heart wants this to be the third timeline (Fallen Link, coming straight off OoT), but my head is not convinced.

Neiteio

If the guy who gives you the glider is the King of Hyrule then that would be poetic since in Wind Waker, he's stuck on land as a boat until Link shows up with a wind sail.
To add to this: It's also neat how in the original Zelda, you start in the world and meet the Old Man in a cave, but in BotW, you start in a cave and meet the Old Man out in the world.

Also, I want to quote my musings on the story since they were buried on the last page:

There are a few problems with the theory that this Link is the same Link from OoT, set in the Fallen Link timeline.

1) Ganon's Castle completely destroyed Hyrule Castle in OoT. By the time Link goes to confront Ganonorf at the end of OoT, Hyrule Castle is already gone. So if this was in the timeline where Link falls in the final battle, there should be no traces of Hyrule Castle (Eastern Abbey included) since Ganon's Castle already destroyed it.

2) Calamity Ganon is shackled to a new Hyrule Castle, separate from the old one. If this is the Fallen Link timeline, where did this second castle come from, and how did they get Ganon to leave Ganon's Castle so he could become trapped in the second castle? And what then became of Ganon's Castle?

While it's the least interesting timeline, this actually makes me think this game might be in the child Link timeline (Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess), since Hyrule Castle wasn't completely destroyed there. It would've still been around to leave some signs it once existed. As the castle fell apart, a new castle was created. Ganon reappeared, a battle took place, Link failed that battle (different from the one in OoT), went into hibernation, and someone trapped Ganon in the new castle.

In other words:

I think this game will introduce a past conflict where Link fails and Ganon is trapped in a castle... but it won't be a conflict we've seen before. If they make it the same conflict from OoT, they'll have to do some serious retconning to explain how Hyrule Castle wasn't completely destroyed by Ganon's Castle, and how Ganon was lured into a second castle on the other side of Hyrule, and where that second castle came from when Ganon was in control of Ganon's Castle.

My heart wants this to be the third timeline (Fallen Link, coming straight off OoT), but my head is not convinced.

Top Bottom