• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

I suggest that some weapons should just turn dull (do minimal damage) until you sharpen/repair them. To me, that's the best way to balance important items with the durability system.

But this raises another issue, the reason you can throw weapons seems to be because they are disposable. They will either break, or you will lose track of it, maybe it falls off a cliff to never be seen again. So, will you be able to throw, and lose, something like the Master Sword? If you lose it, will it appear back in your inventory? Will it come to you like Thor's hammer?

Why I think the idea of it becoming a "summonable" weapon would work so well in the context of the game. If you lose it or break it you have a way to get it right back to you, and after getting it it doesn't permanently take up a weapon slot in your inventory.

Although I do think that that final rune slot will be something arrow related instead since the bomb arrows that were shown in the demo don't look like the special arrow that they have shown in promotional art/the amiibo design, which has a special blue head that looks like it could fit in with the other sheikah stuff. Does anyone have a video of someone doing that slow motion jump shot that isn't the one where he is fighting the guardian on horse back? In that one the bomb arrows that are fired have a red glow to them until the last one that kills the guardian which has a bluish glow and I want to see if it is just something that happens when in the slow fall bow mode or if it is the arrow.

Why I think the idea of it becoming a "summonable" weapon would work so well in the context of the game. If you lose it or break it you have a way to get it right back to you, and after getting it it doesn't permanently take up a weapon slot in your inventory.

Although I do think that that final rune slot will be something arrow related instead since the bomb arrows that were shown in the demo don't look like the special arrow that they have shown in promotional art/the amiibo design, which has a special blue head that looks like it could fit in with the other sheikah stuff. Does anyone have a video of someone doing that slow motion jump shot that isn't the one where he is fighting the guardian on horse back? In that one the bomb arrows that are fired have a red glow to them until the last one that kills the guardian which has a bluish glow and I want to see if it is just something that happens when in the slow fall bow mode or if it is the arrow.
I think Polygon’s video has a slowmo arrow shot, it's kind of awkward as they're standing on a log that's rolling off a cliff and they draw the bow in mid fall.

Curious if the four rune power dungeons are really going to be the first four you visit or that was just for the demo. Same for some of the items like fire rod, but I guess they can do that if everything is breakable.

I think Polygon’s video has a slowmo arrow shot, it's kind of awkward as they're standing on a log that's rolling off a cliff and they draw the bow in mid fall.

Found it, thanks. No special glow as just a part of that move. Really didn't want to scan through all the longer videos again, but it didn't take that long.
Also really didn't want to watch Polygon's again since they strip Link near the start for whatever reason.

Now to find a video that used the bomb arrows again to make sure they are the same as in that guardian fight video. If they are then that blue headed one is defiantly a different thing. It is featured pretty prominently in promotional stuff so it may be something important.

I heard in one video that the slow motion moves (perfect dodge/mid air arrow shot) are gained by runes. Dont' remember what video, though. I wonder if there will be a lot more moves you have to earn than what was shown in the demo.
Games like this do need new abilities changing the way the game plays in order to make it keep it fun for the long duration of time. I hope they strike a nice balance of Link feeling fully featured but still being able to get new stuff throughout the game.

I heard in one video that the slow motion moves (perfect dodge/mid air arrow shot) are gained by runes. Dont' remember what video, though. I wonder if there will be a lot more moves you have to earn than what was shown in the demo.

If that is the case then either they enabled them/some of them for the e3 demo or there are a few of them that you don't need to gain like that. Defiantly saw the people use the slow motion shot, sword attack, and I think spear attack in the some videos from the demo.

Found it, thanks. No special glow as just a part of that move. Really didn't want to scan through all the longer videos again, but it didn't take that long.
Also really didn't want to watch Polygon's again since they strip Link near the start for whatever reason.

Now to find a video that used the bomb arrows again to make sure they are the same as in that guardian fight video. If they are then that blue headed one is defiantly a different thing. It is featured pretty prominently in promotional stuff so it may be something important.
I think the guardian vid they use both fire arrows and what I'll call rune arrows. I haven't compared with fire arrows in the demos but Chiko probably used some.

TheMoon

It should be a very late item and it should be usable to launch into the air and paraglide Just Cause style

Link is Batman now (you could do that in Arkham City)

I think the guardian vid they use both fire arrows and what I'll call rune arrows. I haven't compared with fire arrows in the demos but Chiko probably used some.

Fire Arrows and Ice Arrows are right next to each other in the chests above that poisoned pond next to the Magnesis Shrine.

They aren't fire arrows, unless they changed them between that video and the demos as well. The fire arrows leave a red trail/burn in the air when shot and don't explode like that. Chiko as well as Polygon show them off at times. Know there is a video with bomb arrows other then that guardian fight but can't find it.

They aren't fire arrows, unless they changed them between that video and the demos as well. The fire arrows leave a red trail/burn in the air when shot and don't explode like that. Chiko as well as Polygon show them off at times. Know there is a video with bomb arrows other then that guardian fight but can't find it.

Yeah my mistake, there are both fire arrows and bomb arrows in the demo.
https://youtu.be/eL3sgKGW1Mk@11:45

Yeah my mistake, there are both fire arrows and bomb arrows in the demo.
https://youtu.be/eL3sgKGW1Mk@11:45

Yup, there we go. Same as the arrows used in the guardian video right down to the sparks that they give off before being shot. So baring some skill you get later that enhances your slow time shot, that final shot of the guardian video is something different, and I would bet on it being the special blue tipped arrow that has been shown off in other promotional work.

Greenymac

Check out the nintendo video where they show a few things at the outskirts of the plateau...

wrowa

If that is the case then either they enabled them/some of them for the e3 demo or there are a few of them that you don't need to gain like that. Defiantly saw the people use the slow motion shot, sword attack, and I think spear attack in the some videos from the demo.

You can activate slow-motion in the demo by evading (jump backwards) an enemies attack at the right time, but I don't think the jump slo-mo was part of the demo.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
So what is everyone's primary concern for the final release of BotW?

I worry that it will be too easy to get everywhere. Apart from it's low difficulty level, ALBW's biggest problem is that you basically always have the tools to access all areas of the game. In other Zelda games, if you come across an obstacle that you can't cross, then you have to search for the item that lets you cross. This made exploration important (and rewarding). Apart from the Titan Mitts and Sand Rod, you get anything you need from Ravio. Considering that you'll rarely die from combat (except in Hero Mode), you can rent every item you need 2 hours into the game and never lose them. ALBW is nonlinear, but you don't need to do much exploring to complete the main quest.

BotW seems to have a wide variety of items and utilities available from the start, which makes me worry that it will have the same issue as ALBW. However, I will be more optimistic if they show one or more of the following:
-Unbreakable items that you can't find all around the overworld, or breakable items that are only found in a certain region
-Tough enemies that are difficult to kill without certain items
-Sequence breaking that requires finesse and skill (not just using stasis to launch yourself everywhere)
-Dungeons that are difficult to enter unless you complete a quest

Apart from this, I am not worried about the quality of the game (although I would also be disappointed if the 4 dungeon rumor turned out to be true).

sphinx

the piano man
I believe we are going to have an unavoidable catastrophic event in this game.

the game will be depressive as fuck.

With skyward sword, that game was always bright and colorful and all positive, happy-go-lucky link.

here, I sense lonliness and dispair.

My biggest worry is the voice acting. Yeah Zelda(assuming it's her) sounded fine, but it was just a small line. Silent protagonist are easier done in Text base games, so I'm wondering if link it's gonna have the camera on him looking mute. Link being slient is the reason why I never cared for voice acting in Zelda, plus I like text base games and feel some stories are better told that way. Either way, just make sure direction is good.

One another Concern is that the shocking twist is that Link talks and his first words are something stupid like "no" or whatever. But I doubt he'll talk, don't think Aonuma would lie.

Other then that, I'm pretty positive. The gameplay looks fun and that's what I care for most.

HylianTom

Banned
I believe we are going to have an unavoidable catastrophic event in this game.

the game will be depressive as fuck.

With skyward sword, that game was always bright and colorful and all positive, happy-go-lucky link.

here, I sense lonliness and dispair.

Me too. I have a feeling of dread, almost a sense that Link will end-up sacrificing himself in the end. There's nothing really logical backing this up, I admit.. it's just a premonition on my part.

"Hero" items should be handled like the Hylian Shield in Skyward Sword. Entirely optional, and while they make things a lot easier/faster/etc. you have to earn them. The Hylian Shield was locked behind Boss Rush, so you could do that again, maybe have something for clearing a certain amount of shrines/every shrine, have a 50-100 level challenge dungeon thing again, etc..

I worry that it will be too easy to get everywhere. Apart from it's low difficulty level, ALBW's biggest problem is that you basically always have the tools to access all areas of the game. In other Zelda games, if you come across an obstacle that you can't cross, then you have to search for the item that lets you cross. This made exploration important (and rewarding). Apart from the Titan Mitts and Sand Rod, you get anything you need from Ravio. Considering that you'll rarely die from combat (except in Hero Mode), you can rent every item you need 2 hours into the game and never lose them. ALBW is nonlinear, but you don't need to do much exploring to complete the main quest.

BotW seems to have a wide variety of items and utilities available from the start, which makes me worry that it will have the same issue as ALBW. However, I will be more optimistic if they show one or more of the following:
-Unbreakable items that you can't find all around the overworld, or breakable items that are only found in a certain region
-Sequence breaking that requires finesse and skill (not just using stasis to launch yourself everywhere)

Apart from this, I am not worried about the quality of the game (although I would also be disappointed if the 4 dungeon rumor turned out to be true).

That is also my main concern. Think I detailed it in another thread too. I didn't really like ALBW because of it's lack of that progression feel that Zelda games give me. I also honestly don't really like the focus on "do dungeons in any order" that they seem to be going for either, but whatever, can't always get everything you want.

Check out the nintendo video where they show a few things at the outskirts of the plateau...

Yes, that is the video with the guardian fight I was using as a reference, and was trying to find a separate one showing off some of the things in it to determine if there is a difference in that final arrow shot in it. Got it figured it a post of few above yours. Thanks anyway though.

Me too. I have a feeling of dread, almost a sense that Link will end-up sacrificing himself in the end. There's nothing really logical backing this up, I admit.. it's just a premonition on my part.

I would actually prefer that kind of closure then the complete lack of it we normally get with these kind of stories. Oh cool you saved the day, now go back to whatever boring life you had beforehand. By the way, most people will probably never know you did anything. With a possible "enjoy becoming a stalfos of regret".

KiN0

I hope we get a good story out of this game. The open world is really enticing, but a lack of good narrative could easily ruin it. At the very least I hope we get some backstory for why the Hyrule is in ruins.

ReyVGM

What's up with youtube?

You know how when you type something on the search bar, it tries to predict what you want? If you type "Legend of Zelda B", it doesn't predict Breath of the Wild. Even if you type "Legend of Zelda Breath", it still doesn't predict it. You have to type the entire name.

It's weird that the name isn't showing up on search suggestions.

When I was typing I even got this suggestion: legend of zelda brentalfloss. WTH youtube?

What's up with youtube?

You know how when you type something on the search bar, it tries to predict what you want? If you type "Legend of Zelda B", it doesn't predict Breath of the Wild. Even if you type "Legend of Zelda Breath", it still doesn't predict it. You have to type the entire name.

When I was typing I even got this suggestion: legend of zelda brentalfloss. WTH youtube?

I noticed that as well and just got use to typing the full name. Google has been auto completing since like the day they announced the name.

What's up with youtube?

Dunno about you, but I just typed "The Le" and the third suggestion was "The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild". For "The Legend of Z" it's the second result after "Legend of Zelda", with "Trailer" and "Reaction" also being among the results. For "Legend of Zelda B" every single suggestion was Breath of the Wild + something (except for one that was just "The Legend of Zelda Breath").

Also, typing just "Breath" and nothing more got it as my second suggestion (for "Brea" it was 8th).

Dunno about you, but I just typed "The Le" and the third suggestion was "The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild". For "The Legend of Z" it's the second result after "Legend of Zelda", with "Trailer" and "Reaction" also being among the results. For "Legend of Zelda B" every single suggestion was Breath of the Wild + something (except for one that was just "The Legend of Zelda Breath").

Also, typing just "Breath" and nothing more got it as my second suggestion (for "Brea" it was 8th).

I'm sure it has a lot to do with your own youtube search/viewing history, and whether or not you have cookies enabled.

ReyVGM

Strange. I know YT suggests results based on your history, but I have been typing and looking at BotW stuff since it was shown and it still doesn't give me the search suggestions.

I tried a different browser, clean from any history and it still didn't suggest the game.

Strange. I know YT suggests results based on your history, but I have been typing and looking at BotW stuff since it was shown and it still doesn't give me the search suggestions.

I tried a different browser, clean from any history and it still didn't suggest the game.

Just opened it up in a completely different browser in private mode and got the exact same results.

Ha then never mind! Seems pretty odd...

I often think Google can either read my mind or overhear my conversations with search suggestions, maybe Youtube searching has become sentient as well.

Don't worry ReyVGM, I know your pain:
L0Jmsmo.jpg

XFSUY5Z.jpg

And I've searched for videos for this game like every day since it was announced.

Brentalfloss?

My number 1 concern is the 4 dungeons rumor. Would absolutely deflate my hype.

ReyVGM

While I would love at least 8, the reality is that this game is so big and there's so much to do, that I doubt you'll mind having only 4 dungeons.

I mean, Majora's Mask only had 4, but you were so busy doing other things that you didn't mind it.

What I would love is if the shrines don't all look so technological. I would love to have one that is just a cave, or a castle, or something that looks more natural.

HylianTom

Banned
I want insanely dark areas that require some sort of carried light in order to navigate, be it a torch, wearable lantern, lightable sconces within the structure, etc.

What I would love is if the shrines don't all look so technological. I would love to have one that is just a cave, or a castle, or something that looks more natural.

Adding onto that I really hope the shrines don't all have that exact same entrance. I'd much rather have to explore and uncover shrine entrances which aren't incredibly obvious glowing red/blue structures.

Also agree with everything you said.

Kyzer

Banned
What's up with youtube?

ganondorf is paying google to tamper with results for the upcoming election

Neiteio

I need GameXplain to hurry up and publish their analysis already. I'm hoping it'll consolidate all of the discussion on message boards and mix in some of their own ideas, as well. It'll also be a good excuse to rewatch all of the footage!

ReyVGM

I want insanely dark areas that require some sort of carried light in order to navigate, be it a torch, wearable lantern, lightable sconces within the structure, etc.

That would be awesome yes. There are torches in the game, so that gives me hope. Unless the torches are just for Link to be able to momentarily enter cold areas?

Adding onto that I really hope the shrines don't all have that exact same entrance. I'd much rather have to explore and uncover shrine entrances which aren't incredibly obvious glowing red/blue structures.

Indeed. Right now they are all like "look at me over here!".

My guess is that if there are 100 shires, then you would be looking at one of those entrances everywhere you look. So my guess and hopes is that there are going to be a lot of those that are hidden.

I recall two different rumors floating pre-e3. One was that there were 4 main dungeons and 100 minidungeons. The other rumor said that there were dungeons that were massive, took several hours to complete and were broken up into multiple parts. It was also mentioned that at one point a giant forest was a dungeon (unclear if it still is).

I'd say if the dungeons were that long and broken up into multiple parts then I wouldn't be concerned about only 4 dungeons. As long as if they are broken up into parts we can warp to where we left off when entering the dungeon.

clem84

Gold Member
I haven't read all the E3 and post E3 interviews so I was wondering, what is the latest on a release date for this game? Are both WiiU-NX still TBA 2017?

TheMoon

I haven't read all the E3 and post E3 interviews so I was wondering, what is the latest on a release date for this game? Are both WiiU-NX still TBA 2017?

Yes.

Nintendo does not announce release dates (even months) this far in advance.

Interesting tidbit: Sheikah tech that Link hasn't interacted with or "claimed" glows orange (unopened shrines, mini guardians, unscaled towers), and things he has glow blue (opened shrines, scaled towers). (The big guardians are an exception because they match Calamity Canon's pink).

The Sheikah Slate glows orange on his belt.

Top Bottom