• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Could be. But they did nail the 100 'mini dungeons', which are obviously the shrines, so I am going to go ahead and believe the 4 main dungeons. I think 4 dungeons with the shrines and massive world is perfect. MM had four main dungeons, which did not wind up feeling like it was too little.

I think it's important to remember that the reason 4 dungeons in MM seemed fine was because of the 3 day cycle and having to restart the dungeons if you didn't complete them in time. However, as vast as BOTW's overworld is I'd say it's likely that the sheer size and complexity of the dungeons will be enough to sate us.

I'm personally envisioning dungeons that you enter in one region that spans across several different biomes that are indoor and outdoor. Like Misery Mire (LTTP) but with the concept greatly expanded upon.

Maybe you not only have to figure out how to enter the dungeon but you need to exit and do some things before coming back to it to complete it?

DekuLink

I think it's important to remember that the reason 4 dungeons in MM seemed fine was because of the 3 day cycle and having to restart the dungeons if you didn't complete them in time. However, as vast as BOTW's overworld is I'd say it's likely that the sheer size and complexity of the dungeons will be enough to sate us.

I'm personally envisioning dungeons that you enter in one region that spans across several different biomes that are indoor and outdoor. Like Misery Mire (LTTP) but with the concept greatly expanded upon.

Maybe you not only have to figure out how to enter the dungeon but you need to exit and do some things before coming back to it to complete it?

Nintendo has already adressed that they won't do precisely what you just described.

Aonuma told us that, despite the non-linear format of the overall game, dungeons will still have only one entrance. “If there were multiple entrances it would be very confusing,” Aonuma said, “but how you get to that entrance is very different this time around.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview

I think there's gotta be some sort of character waiting there at the Shrine of Resurrection when you wake up, and they just retooled it to be a disembodied voice to not spoil anything.

I don't think so, when the game shows the castle and the voice is speaking there is a bright light in the center of the castle that seems to be pulsating slightly with the voice, like it's coming from there.

Nintendo has done similar things before, think of when Zelda speaks to you in the beginning of ALttP.

AmyS

Pachter on NX and Zelda (this must be from Ep 31 which isn't on Youtube yet).

"In the latest episode of his show Pachter Factor, he also said that he believed the new Zelda game looked amazing and would help sell a lot of NX console at launch. "

“It looks a lot to me like the NX is going to be essentially a PS4 in a Nintendo case. If it’s that powerful, if it’s easy enough architecturally for all the publishers to support, so FIFA, Call of Duty and Battlefield are on the NX, then absolutely I think this thing is going to sell really well.” he said, adding that the NX can be very successful if it has third party support.

“If they get third-party support, it will sell 20 – 50 million units and be a solid, competitive console.”

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/pachter-ps4-specs-level-nx-can-sell-20-50-million-units.454800591/

“You will buy a console just to play [Zelda],” said Pachter. “Obviously they are going to have other games coming up behind it. I think that they recognized a year or two ago that the Wii U was kind of over. I think they probably diverted all of their development efforts to support the NX. Zelda is going to be essentially a launch title, it will be the biggest game out.”

“So, I think the NX kind of quickly sells the same install base as the Wii U and, assuming the NX is not as complicated as the Wii U. Assuming that they’ve sold the GamePad problems, whether it’s just a conventional controller or they’ve fixed the battery life, made it more of a tablet, and there’s more to do with the NX. If they can get third-party support, I think they’re going to be competitive again.”

“I frankly think that they’re benefited by the Xbox One S not being an upgrade over the Xbox [One], it’s just thinner and lighter. I think they’re benefited by the PS4 Neo and the Xbox Scorpio essentially being mid-cycle, modest upgrades intended, I think, to support VR, and all fully backward compatible. Maybe the NX is coming at the right time.”

http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-nx-is-launching-at-the-right-time-michael-pachter

Nintendo has already adressed that they won't do precisely what you just described.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview

I don't think so, when the game shows the castle and the voice is speaking there is a bright light in the center of the castle that seems to be pulsating slightly with the voice, like it's coming from there.

Nintendo has done similar things before, think of when Zelda speaks to you in the beginning of ALttP.

I hope the flying thing is a dungeon and flying mounts are in, I'm thinking having to tame whatever the loftwings have evolved to after hundreds of years.

maxcriden

I hope the flying thing is a dungeon and flying mounts are in, I'm thinking having to tame whatever the loftwings have evolved to after hundreds of years.

200px-OoX_Link_and_Moosh.png

Love that idea. I wonder if Moosh from the Oracle games could return somehow.

Semi-related note, I always get confused about this aspect of the timeline, but is it merely hundreds of years later (assuming, let's say, BotW is the very latest game in the timeline) or thousands, or tens of thousands? Can we gauge at all?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
200px-OoX_Link_and_Moosh.png

Love that idea. I wonder if Moosh from the Oracle games could return somehow.

Semi-related note, I always get confused about this aspect of the timeline, but is it merely hundreds of years later (assuming, let's say, BotW is the very latest game in the timeline) or thousands, or tens of thousands? Can we gauge at all?

We don't always get dates, and the few we do vary. Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker both take place "hundreds" of years after Ocarina of Time. The Oracle games take place... I wanna say a few months? after A Link to the Past, while Majora's Mask takes place very shortly after Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening takes place immediately after the Oracle games.

maxcriden

We don't always get dates, and the few we do vary. Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker both take place "hundreds" of years after Ocarina of Time. The Oracle games take place... I wanna say a few months? after A Link to the Past, while Majora's Mask takes place very shortly after Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening takes place immediately after the Oracle games.

Thank you. The Link from LA is the same one from the Oracle and LTTP games, then?

And presumably, Link from TFH is just slightly older than in LBW.

Where's LBW fit in, then? Decades after LTTP but prior to Zelda 1/2?

From Skyward to Ocarina seems like hundreds and hundreds of years to me at a minimum. Also, I think if evolutionary science is at all similar in Zelda games to our understanding of it IRL, Zora --> Rito and Kokiri --> Korok evolutions must have taken a very long time.

Thank you. The Link from LA is the same one from the Oracle and LTTP games, then?

From Skyward to Ocarina seems like hundreds and hundreds of years to me at a minimum. Also, I think if evolutionary science is at all similar in Zelda games to our understanding of it IRL, Zora --> Rito and Kokiri --> Korok evolutions must have taken a very long time.

- yes

- I agree.

- I believe it was officially stated that Link Between Worlds takes place centuries after LTTP.

- Maybe. Magic could have been involved with the Zora --> Rito evolution, though, and as far as we know, the Koroks could transform to their child form if they wish.

Another thing to note: Due to how technology was portrayed in Skyward Sword, society on the land has been destroyed and rebuilt at least a few times over a span of thousands of years.

The Boat

Apologies for the delay, been a bit sick the past few days. Will upload the Death Mountain video shortly.
Anyway, here's a really shitty cellphone video taken with one hand showing how you can use the stasis rune to launch yourself with a boulder. My first try was much more successful, but that one wasn't recorded :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIL3wZt3Oy8

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I should be clearer, it's just a longer look at the monster climbing Death Mountain. Terrible videos, can't see very clearly, but I did what I could :p Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDdZFH_W640

That thing makes me want to not go anywhere near Death Mountain. Looks scary. :( Same with that other large creature we saw on top of a ridge or plateau or something in the trailer.

But that's a very good design choice on Nintendo's part. By teasing such a monster so far away, it makes you want to investigate the area even more because you know there's something significant there.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
After watching Princess Mononoke again this morning, I am convinced that this game, as loose as it may be is influenced by the classic Studio Ghibli film. I know folks have said this since the reveal trailer but I hadn't seen the movie in over 10 years so seeing it again made it most clear.

I for one an ecstatic at the notion.

After watching Princess Mononoke again this morning, I am convinced that this game, as loose as it may be is influenced by the classic Studio Ghibli film. I know folks have said this since the reveal trailer but I hadn't seen the movie in over 10 years so seeing it again made it most clear.

Care to relay some of the more prominent similarities for those of us who haven't seen that movie or atleast not in years and years?

I remember loving it but details are hazy aside from those amazing tree spirits.

RagnarokX

DmOny91.jpg

Oracles ends with Link leaving Hyrule on a boat to go train. Link's Awakening begins with Link on a boat on said journey.

ALBW could be several hundred to several thousand years before Zelda 1. Zelda 2's backstory eats up a huge amount of time. A King ruled Hyrule with the complete triforce. He searched for an heir worthy of ruling the land with the triforce but could not find one, so he hid the triforce of courage away in the great palace before he died so that it would only be found by one worthy of becoming king. The prince question his sister Zelda about the triforce but she refused to answer, and a magician cast a spell that put Zelda to sleep until the triforce was united. In his grief the prince ordered that all females in the royal family be named Zelda. Generations later Zelda 1 happens. All of this has to happen after ALBW because the triforce of courage isn't missing in any of the games before Zelda 1.

People get hung up on evolution in regards to the Koroks and Rito, but neither one is a case of normal evolution. The Kokiri/Koroks are magical forest spirits that can change their forms. The Great Deku Tree just says they took on forms. Similarly the Zoras could have been granted their Rito forms by the gods. They don't actually have wings and only obtain them after being granted a scale from the god Valoo.

Rodin

Looks like that to me? I'd be happy btw, loved those graphics.

Graphics are the same. They look different to you (and many other people) for 2 reasons:

1) better iq. There's a massive difference in image quality between the bullshots from 2014 and the direct feed footage we've seen now. It's basically 1440p downsampled vs 720p with edge smoothing.

2) That trailer from 2014 was like a cutscene. The fixed camera allowed them to hide the bad stuff or put it on screen in a way that didn't stand out as much as the amazing animated grass and the other beautiful things of the game (lighting, dynamic shadows, draw distance, hair tech, artstyle in general, etc). But if you watch closely, the lod is terrible, the trees are low poly and the textures of the mountains are pretty bad. Some animations were absolutely amazing, but they were made specifically for that trailer.

They knew what to show and how, for sure, but there are no missing effects or stuff that can make you think of a downgrade. An NX version with those compromises would be extremely disappointing.

Good observations. I personally have always had a very bad eye for the more technical side of things when it comes to game visuals unless it's super obvious but what you said makes sense. Especially from a direction point of view.

Meesh

Let's be honest. Is there anyone here not enamored with the visual style of Zelda BotW? I personally love it but it seems a lot or people are completely turned off... getting WW vibes alost.
I seriously think it adds to the fantasy theme or element, maybe I'm wrong?

RagnarokX

Let's be honest. Is there anyone here not enamored with the visual style of Zelda BotW? I personally love it but it seems a lot or people are completely turned off... getting WW vibes alost.

I much prefer it to the Twilight Princess approach.

Dmax3901

That's pretty crazy I watched that for the first time in years last night :/

EhoaVash

When I first played skyward sword on Wii, the visuals underwhelmed me. The colors weren't vibrant enough, a lot of it were just too dull looking. Seeing it on dolphin boy what a change. The colors really pop in dolphin.

For breath of the wild, I'm loving areas with lots of grass,...but areas without grass is again very reminiscent of skyward swords art style kinda disappointed in those._. where textures look too outdated, especially the mountains link climbs in the first area, and the colors look too dull, boring looking.

Hope NX versio can fix the textures on those mountain like add bump mapping to them atleast, and and a Whole LOT of more grass.

screenshot_1-768.jpg

vomits

Four main dungeons could work out decently if they make them large with multiple ways through. Like going to the same dungeon twice could possibly give you a completely different experience, depending on what items you've gotten so far.

If done correctly it could actually add a ton of replay value.

Clefargle

Four main dungeons could work out decently if they make them large with multiple ways through. Like going to the same dungeon twice could possibly give you a completely different experience, depending on what items you've gotten so far.

If done correctly it could actually add a ton of replay value.

Right! I wanted something like this. Essentially, going through the dungeon the first time, you should see some stuff you can't access, or doors you can't open. Then later when you have the right items, you will remember where to use them. And like some of the other Zelda games have mini bosses in the dungeons, you could put an alternate exit out once you beat them. Coming back through that alternate door would let you get back to the stuff you need other items to do later. Would be sweet.

ReyVGM

I really don't get why people keep mentioning it looks like WW.

This game looks 99% like an HD version of Skyward Sword.

When I first played skyward sword on Wii, the visuals underwhelmed me. The colors weren't vibrant enough, a lot of it were just too dull looking. Seeing it on dolphin boy what a change. The colors really pop in dolphin.

For breath of the wild, I'm loving areas with lots of grass,...but areas without grass is again very reminiscent of skyward swords art style kinda disappointed in those._. where textures look too outdated, especially the mountains link climbs in the first area, and the colors look too dull, boring looking.

Hope NX versio can fix the textures on those mountain like add bump mapping to them atleast, and and a Whole LOT of more grass.

screenshot_1-768.jpg

vomits

One reason it looks dull is that direct footage is really washed out for whatever reason. People have commented that playing it on the TVs looked much more vibrant.

But yeah, some textures aren't great, but in motion the game looks beautiful. I'm really happy with how it looks at the moment. Hopefully NX version will provide some improvements, but it's going to be slight whatever it is.

It's what I imagined Skyward Sword was supposed to look like but better. Like a studio ghibli film that you get to live. Ni No Kuni tried but because of the restrictive nature of JRPGs imo it failed. (Though it was beautiful in it's own right) BOTW, however takes my breath away.

That trailer has got me so hyped. I don't know how anyone can call that dated. That looked and sounded fantastic. The only thing that I feel has taken a step backward is the physics. In Twilight Princess, Links hands and feet were perfectly planted on the floor no matter the gradient or slant. And the animations were very well done, in here they feel a little quicker as in fewer frames so the transition is not as fluent. But what do I know, perhaps that's what people want. I prefer things to be a little more realistic in that sense. You can't just pull out a glider/kite from your pocket.

takriel

That trailer has got me so hyped. I don't know how anyone can call that dated. That looked and sounded fantastic. The only thing that I feel has taken a step backward is the physics. In Twilight Princess, Links hands and feet were perfectly planted on the floor no matter the gradient or slant. And the animations were very well done, in here they feel a little quicker as in fewer frames so the transition is not as fluent. But what do I know, perhaps that's what people want. I prefer things to be a little more realistic in that sense. You can't just pull out a glider/kite from your pocket.
Uff don't tell that to the Zelda team who've been working hard on this game's physics engine :)

Nibel

Who are those "a lot of people"?

Because I've witnessed the opposite all across the table. Not saying that every person on planet earth loves it, but the vast majority of the gaming community seems to do

TheMoon

That's not physics. oO

IK is in this, too.

Did Nintendo ever say anything about getting a dog partner without the Wolf link Amibo?

If the Amibo just provides a partner anytime you want with a fanservice skin, that's fine, but I hope you can find and befriend animal partners.

YdKMxz.gif

TheMoon

Did Nintendo ever say anything about getting a dog partner without the Wolf link Amibo?

If the Amibo just provides a partner anytime you want with a fanservice skin, that's fine, but I hope you can find and befriend animal partners.

YdKMxz.gif

They did not. Expect Wolf Link to be an optional unlock in some late game stuff, like completing all shrines or whatever. See Star Fox Zero for comparison.

maxcriden

They did not. Expect Wolf Link to be an optional unlock in some late game stuff, like completing all shrines or whatever. See Star Fox Zero for comparison.

I think in the E3 amiibo video they said Link is solo in this game so the only partner character will be Wolf Link. I want to say they also indicated you could only get him using the amiibo, but that part I'm less sure I'm remembering correctly. As to animals otherwise, we know you can ride horses at least so I guess those aren't considered partners per se, so that means other rideable animals may be in.

ReyVGM

I thknk there will be more partners. In one of the treehouse videos, or maybe the IGN one, someone asked Bill if other amiibos could unlock other partners and Bill didn't deny it. He then changed the subject.

TheMoon

I think in the E3 amiibo video they said Link is solo in this game so the only partner character will be Wolf Link. I want to say they also indicated you could only get him using the amiibo, but that part I'm less sure I'm remembering correctly. As to animals otherwise, we know you can ride horses at least so I guess those aren't considered partners per se, so that means other rideable animals may be in.

Unless Aonuma says it, always take that info with a huge grain of salt. They don't really talk about that stuff this far in advance, especially not alternative unlocking methods for amiibo they want to sell. You always find those out in press previews with review copies.

Top Bottom