• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I kind of hear Hyrule Castle theme, but that's only 2 or 3 notes, which is more of a coincidence. I tried playing the themes in reverse (both the intro theme and the piano that plays when you get near him), but I couldn't find any Zelda melodies. It's still possible that he's King Hyrule, but it's more probable that he's just a callback to the old man in Zelda 1.

The main theme from the trailer doesn't sound like anything when reversed, if any of you were wondering.

Marlowe89

It's not the normal song, it's elements of it mashed together. The first part is similar to the ALttP intro to Hyrule Castle followed by a few notes of this part https://youtu.be/7P2HNic7JjI?t=15s and then alternating high notes

The double/tripled up some of the notes. If you play it at half speed it matches this part https://youtu.be/7P2HNic7JjI?t=11s fairly closely.

Yeah... no. Sorry. I'm still not seeing it.

Maybe if it was more than just a few notes that sounded vaguely, ambiguously similar, I'd say you have something more concrete. But this just doesn't really match up.

mr.beers

NbJ3n8S.jpg

Here's an even closer view from straight in front of it. You can see a road curves through some ruins before reaching a bridge across the water, then the road curves left over a waterfall and snakes up to the top. There are some buildings on the way up to the castle, and the castle has dark spikey vine-like things around it. I think the water might only go in front of the castle like on the VGA map.

I see some entities standing at the end of the road where it drops off.

ReyVGM

God damn it, when will Gamexplain post their analysis video? I've been waiting for over a week now.

It would be awesome if at the entrance there are these two huge oracle statues that shoot lasers at you, like in The Neverending Story.

God damn it, when will Gamexplain post their analysis video? I've been waiting for over a week now.

It would be awesome if at the entrance there are these two huge oracle statues that shoot lasers at you, like in The Neverending Story.

With this large amount of footage, Gamexplain need time to make a ten-hour video. :)

It's best if they do several vids, instead of one huge one.

Yeah, I hope so,too. It is a bit strange that they haven't released any analysis video for BotW. I originally thought they will make a BotW series, releasing videos for weeks. Now, I expect to see one huge video for all kinds of stuff, even though I want them to break it down.

Pyrokai

Too much analyzing. I think it's time to abandon thread and start my media blackout. It's been fun guys! Can't wait to play this game:)

With this large amount of footage, Gamexplain need time to make a ten-hour video. :)

GameXplain: The Movie. Needs a theatrical release.

As far as the 4 dungeons rumor goes, it could very easily be based on the fact that we see 4 pillars. Perhaps whoever leaked that info saw the pillars and simply assumed that there would be a dungeon tied to each. It's possible that there are more dungeons tied to side quests or other things, beyond the main "pillar" dungeons and the shrines.

I'll be playing this in a few days, any requests?

If you're getting it on camera, can you try to look through the Sheikah Slate at the Death Mountain monster for like 5-10 seconds? I'm curious to see how it moves over a longer period of time, so far we just see little glimpses.

Screenboy

Looking at the distance between each Pillar I'd guess there's 5 and one is behind the castle that we can't see.

Going on the theory, would you guys be happy with 5 Dungeons?

Alienous

Looking at the distance between each Pillar I'd guess there's 5 and one is behind the castle that we can't see.

Going on the theory, would you guys be happy with 5 Dungeons?

I'd be happy with 4 themed ones, so 5 would be good too. I'm expecting 4 + Hyrule Castle. One for each 'region' - desert, fire / death mountain, water / lake hylia (or whatever), forest.

The scale of the world, and scale of even some of the Shrines, makes me think that when we do see dungeons they will be far larger and 'open' than previous Zelda dungeons, much like the world itself.

HylianTom

Banned

There's a stone pillar northwest of Steppe Talus (it has a crate at the southern face of its base), but I've never seen anyone successfully climb it all the way to the top.. the few attempts I've seen were instances where folks used their stamina inefficiently by not starting their climb with the initial jump, and then using their stamina to jump along the way up. Could you climb it and see, doing a slow 360-degree pan once you're up there? I'm wondering if there's a chest or a Korok up there.

(there's a similar pillar overlooking the bokoblins' treehouse by the river, but I've seen a demo or two where it was successfully scaled)

Here is my crappy map of notes thus far:
BotW%20Great%20Plateau%20WIP%20large.jpg

There's a stone pillar northwest of Steppe Talus (it has a crate at the southern face of its base), but I've never seen anyone successfully climb it all the way to the top.. the few attempts I've seen were instances where folks used their stamina inefficiently by not starting their climb with the initial jump, and then using their stamina to jump along the way up. Could you climb it and see, doing a slow 360-degree pan once you're up there? I'm wondering if there's a chest or a Korok up there.

(there's a similar pillar overlooking the bokoblins' treehouse by the river, but I've seen a demo or two where it was successfully scaled)

And please try jumping from the nearby tree's branch to climb that tower! It looks possible to me.

Get the strongest shield you can find, shield surf on top of a bomb/explosion

I know the classic gif looks like it has a magic shield, but even still

I think one of the gaming outlets tried it and apparently you can't set off your remote bombs while shieldsurfing. I bet someone can find another way to test it though.

I think one of the gaming outlets tried it and apparently you can't set off your remote bombs while shieldsurfing. I bet someone can find another way to test it though.
Gunpowder barrel chain near campfire, toss bokoblin club between fire and barrels, shield flip onto barrels as they catch fire and explode

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh yeah, I didn't mention it last night because it was getting late, but while I was looking at the footage of Hyrule Castle getting a screen grab I ALSO noticed something that pretty much confirms who the Old Man is:

https://youtu.be/UZj8q9PqzzY?t=10m42s

His music theme is Hyrule Castle's theme, aka Farewell Hyrule King. That along with his physical appearance pretty much confirms that he is the (former) King of this era.

Also, in case you didn't already know since it's already well known, Zelda's Lullaby plays at the end of the calamity ganon cutscene with Zelda talking.

Yeah I posted something along the lines of "The Old Man's jingle sure is familiar..." in an older thread, possibly this one, no one bit though! Glad I'm not the only one who hears a strong resemblance to the Hyrule Castle music.

Tritroid

Nah, it's definitely not in the Adult timeline, that is the least likely of all timelines for it to be in.

Least likely? Since when?

There was a lot of evidence previously that hinted at it being a post-Wind Waker game. If anything, the child timeline is the least likely, not adult.

ReyVGM

1) Ask if all the shrines are going to be tech-like. Ask if there are going to be mini-dungeons that look like caves, or things like that.
*I would hate if all the shrines entrances are out in the open with shiny lights since I would like to find hidden shrines/mini-dungeons on my own. Remember how in Twilight Princess you would uncover a cave that had a long network of passages? I would love to find that here too!

2) Try going in the water and see if you can dive. Specially in that "lake" in the north-east. If you've watched analysis videos, you would see that's actually the entrance gate to the great plateau, but it's filled with water now. Maybe there's something down there?

3) Ask if there are going to be NPCs with schedules, like in Majora's Mask. What I mean is, NPCs you can follow and actually see them performing their daily tasks, and not NPCs that warp to whatever location they have to be at like most games do.

I climbed it.

Can't remember if it was a bow (one of the stronger ~14atk ones) or a piece of ore.

Either way, nothing super special.

It's not the normal song, it's elements of it mashed together. The first part is similar to the ALttP intro to Hyrule Castle followed by a few notes of this part https://youtu.be/7P2HNic7JjI?t=15s and then alternating high notes

The double/tripled up some of the notes. If you play it at half speed it matches this part https://youtu.be/7P2HNic7JjI?t=11s fairly closely.

They're borrowing a couple chord progressions, but that's to be expected given that these are apparently the ruins of the birthplace of Hyrule.

TheMoon

1) Ask if all the shrines are going to be tech-like. Ask if there are going to be mini-dungeons that look like caves, or things like that.

3) Ask if there are going to be NPCs with schedules, like in Majora's Mask.

The local Nintendo reps won't even know the answer to those questions. That's an Aonuma-level question nobody will get an answer to until the next round of marketing/footage is due.

The stuff you can ask about now at these post-E3 press gatherings is all repeats from E3 that you might ask if you haven't kept up with all the info.

I really do wonder if that was done purposely so people can't sequence break in crazy ways.

That would be a strange decision because the design philosophy of this game is seemingly all about sequence breaking. You can make a whole mess of stamina boosting items to climb as long as you want, for instance.

Honestly this type of overall game philosophy reminds me of one game more than any other- Morrowind. And that gets me so excited.

BowieZ

Banned
At a stretch, I'd say the Old Man piano jingle sounds like a coy abbreviation of the main Legend of Zelda theme (the rapid march ostinato that precedes the main melody, and the first bar of the melody). I can't hear any connection with the Hyrule Castle theme, though.

Neiteio

Man, when will GameXplain post their analysis

I'm guessing it's going to be massive. It'll probably consolidate everything speculated on the Internet so far (in their usual articulate and well-illustrated fashion) while adding their own ideas and observations.

Personally, I just want to hear more of their impressions. Also a good excuse to watch the footage on loop!

I don't envy them coming back from E3 and trying to catch up on everything...

The Boat

Apologies for the bump.

If you're getting it on camera, can you try to look through the Sheikah Slate at the Death Mountain monster for like 5-10 seconds? I'm curious to see how it moves over a longer period of time, so far we just see little glimpses.
I got it on camera, but it's really shitty footage. I'll see if it's worth uploading later. he basically moves around the mountain, goes around it and a bit up and down. He's kind of like a more complex, huge guardian from what I see.

Steal the demo.
I wish :(

I'm not entirely sure, I think this was the one I climbed, there's a Korok on top of it. There are 6 Koroks in total in the demo. I don't think I have it on video though, I'm sorry.

Throw a bomb at the old man.
Forgot, I'll do that tomorrow though!

Get the strongest shield you can find, shield surf on top of a bomb/explosion

I know the classic gif looks like it has a magic shield, but even still
Can't do it :( To shield surf you need to keep ZL held and while you're doing so, the remote explosion doesn't work.

Try to climb on a rock in stasis.
Couldn't manage to do it, will try tomorrow.

There's a circle of stones on the mountain, with one stone off to the side.

Complete the circle and see if something happens.
A Korok pops up.

*I would hate if all the shrines entrances are out in the open with shiny lights since I would like to find hidden shrines/mini-dungeons on my own. Remember how in Twilight Princess you would uncover a cave that had a long network of passages? I would love to find that here too!

2) Try going in the water and see if you can dive. Specially in that "lake" in the north-east. If you've watched analysis videos, you would see that's actually the entrance gate to the great plateau, but it's filled with water now. Maybe there's something down there?

3) Ask if there are going to be NPCs with schedules, like in Majora's Mask. What I mean is, NPCs you can follow and actually see them performing their daily tasks, and not NPCs that warp to whatever location they have to be at like most games do.
1- Unknown
2- Nope, can't dive, probably need an item or to learn or something.
3- Unknown

I played, I don't know, 2, 3 hours of this today and it's... ridiculously good. You can really tell it's a Nintendo game when you see they developed this really strong core and built the game around it. The physics, the game logic, the freedom, the details, it's just such a fantastic piece of work, it was great to see everyone playing differently and finding new things and new ways to play.
Even the (really cool) NoE guy that was there to guide us saw me do things he never did and discovered new things while he was demoing the game with the glider and he says he played at least 25 hours.

Playing on shitty old TVs up close showed a lot of jaggies of course, but playing on a decent big set from a normal distance it looked phenomenal and I couldn't tell/be bothered by the lack of anti aliasing.

One little thing I noticed that I've never noticed, it's not just the Temple of Time song that plays slowly, when the Sheikah thingy in the Shrines drops the runes into your tablet, you can hear the classic "opening a chest" jingle.

https://youtu.be/NMs2tLKK088?t=24m38s

I wish I could record direct feed or get decent footage, but I don't have the equipment/manpower.

I played, I don't know, 2, 3 hours of this today and it's... ridiculously good. You can really tell it's a Nintendo game when you see they developed this really strong core and built the game around it. The physics, the game logic, the freedom, the details, it's just such a fantastic piece of work, it was great to see everyone playing differently and finding new things and new ways to play.
Even the (really cool) NoE guy that was there to guide us saw me do things he never did and discovered new things while he was demoing the game with the glider and he says he played at least 25 hours.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience, that type of sentiment after 2-3 hours on just the plateau is super encouraging! Game just needs to get here now...

Man, this game plus the likelihood of NX having that "new Nintendo console feel" is going to be pure magic isn't it

You just made me even more hyped for release day.

It's been awhile since I had a legit launch game to a system.

Everything else has been "I guess this will do since I need something to play on this thing until X comes out later."

balgajo

Apologies for the bump.

I got it on camera, but it's really shitty footage. I'll see if it's worth uploading later. he basically moves around the mountain, goes around it and a bit up and down. He's kind of like a more complex, huge guardian from what I see.

I wish :(

I'm not entirely sure, I think this was the one I climbed, there's a Korok on top of it. There are 6 Koroks in total in the demo. I don't think I have it on video though, I'm sorry.

Forgot, I'll do that tomorrow though!

Can't do it :( To shield surf you need to keep ZL held and while you're doing so, the remote explosion doesn't work.

Couldn't manage to do it, will try tomorrow.

A Korok pops up.

1- Unknown
2- Nope, can't dive, probably need an item or to learn or something.
3- Unknown

Playing on shitty old TVs up close showed a lot of jaggies of course, but playing on a decent big set from a normal distance it looked phenomenal and I couldn't tell/be bothered by the lack of anti aliasing.

One little thing I noticed that I've never noticed, it's not just the Temple of Time song that plays slowly, when the Sheikah thingy in the Shrines drops the runes into your tablet, you can hear the classic "opening a chest" jingle.

https://youtu.be/NMs2tLKK088?t=24m38s

I wish I could record direct feed or get decent footage, but I don't have the equipment/manpower.

Some interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. Did you record it(offscreen)?

I think there's gotta be some sort of character waiting there at the Shrine of Resurrection when you wake up, and they just retooled it to be a disembodied voice to not spoil anything.

War Eagle

GameXplain: The Movie. Needs a theatrical release.

As far as the 4 dungeons rumor goes, it could very easily be based on the fact that we see 4 pillars. Perhaps whoever leaked that info saw the pillars and simply assumed that there would be a dungeon tied to each. It's possible that there are more dungeons tied to side quests or other things, beyond the main "pillar" dungeons and the shrines.

Could be. But they did nail the 100 'mini dungeons', which are obviously the shrines, so I am going to go ahead and believe the 4 main dungeons. I think 4 dungeons with the shrines and massive world is perfect. MM had four main dungeons, which did not wind up feeling like it was too little.

Top Bottom