• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

LordKano

Hey I read somewhere that there's no story, no cites, no music, the game's eight hours long and it only works with wiimotes. That's a bit disappointing but I'll play it.

lordy88

Cuningas de Häme;222157875 said:
Has fishing been confirmed? There's that big fish in the swimming picture...

E. With a rod, I mean.

No but I would be absolutely shocked if they got rid of it.

Hasn't it been in every 3d Zelda sans Skyward Sword?

sinxtanx

Use the leftover d-pad button to assign to the Cooked foods and potions. Can Quick select like any other weapon and tapping the button uses the item in real time.

Dpad down is actually already in use by the game - it is for whistling, to call on Wolf Link/Horse/whatever else Aonuma comes up with

it being a quick select for food/companions would be great though

Dpad down is actually already in use by the game - it is for whistling, to call on Wolf Link/Horse/whatever else Aonuma comes up with

it being a quick select for food/companions would be great though

I would want it specifically for cooked foods. It gives a reasonable advantage to cook healing foods as opposed to just collecting healing items. It also lowers the potential clutter.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
So apparently the map is about 60-80 square kilometers, which is 23-30 square miles (this is using the Temple of Time and Link's height as a measuring device). I know previous estimates have been much higher then this, but I'm honestly happy that the map is a reasonable size. The Great Plateau looks pretty small and simple when you look at the map, but it's verticality ads a ton of extra space, and for the most part that space is well used. This game is going to take a very long time to complete, and I think a larger map would just increase horizontal space and make things more cumbersome.

Speaking about game length, this is easily going to be the longest Zelda yet. If we assume that the world is about 80 times bigger then the Great Plateau, and you spend only 30 minutes exploring each of these 80 areas, then that's 40 hours of game time. Shrines will at least take an average of 5 minutes to complete, so that's another 9 hours. You'll probably spend about 8 hours in dungeons. Sidequests and town exploration will take another 10 hours. The storyline, cutscenes, and main quest has to take at least 5 hours. In the end, it'll take you about 75 hours to complete the game if you just want to do a bit of exploring and complete all the shrines/dungeons. As someone who doesn't shoot for a 100% completion rate but loves exploring and stopping to take in the sights, it might easily take over 100 hours for me to finish.

It's easy to understand why Aonuma wanted to make the final boss beatable from the start, it'll make replaying the game much more enjoyable for those who just want to play certain parts of the game over again.

Astral Dog

So apparently the map is about 60-80 square kilometers, which is 23-30 square miles (this is using the Temple of Time and Link's height as a measuring device). I know previous estimates have been much higher then this, but I'm honestly happy that the map is a reasonable size. The Great Plateau looks pretty small and simple when you look at the map, but it's verticality ads a ton of extra space, and for the most part that space is well used. This game is going to take a very long time to complete, and I think a larger map would just increase horizontal space and make things more cumbersome.

Speaking about game length, this is easily going to be the longest Zelda yet. If we assume that the world is about 80 times bigger then the Great Plateau, and you spend only 30 minutes exploring each of these 80 areas, then that's 40 hours of game time. Shrines will at least take an average of 5 minutes to complete, so that's another 9 hours. You'll probably spend about 8 hours in dungeons. Sidequests and town exploration will take another 10 hours. The storyline, cutscenes, and main quest has to take at least 5 hours. In the end, it'll take you about 75 hours to complete the game if you just want to do a bit of exploring and complete all the shrines/dungeons. As someone who doesn't shoot for a 100% completion rate but loves exploring and stopping to take in the sights, it might easily take over 100 hours for me to finish.

It's easy to understand why Aonuma wanted to make the final boss beatable from the start, it'll make replaying the game much more enjoyable for those who just want to play certain parts of the game over again.

Sadly without story this is all pretty meaningless tbh

maxcriden

You sort of fish in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. Granted you're fishing for treasure and not fish, but it's essentially a similar idea and the Phantom Hourglass mechanics for this are impressively fun and require a good degree of patience and precision.

hqdefault.jpg

salvage_arm.png

salvage_arm_2.png

200px-Salvage.png

- You cannot open the menu in combat

Absolutely no legitimate reason to do this.

It would be bad from a UX perspective to leave players at the mercy of a presorted inventory when every item class (including weapons, bows, and shields) is consumable. Players' preferences for what item they use next are not necessarily fixed; they might want to pop a light healing item but have access to a heavy one in a pinch.

And if you need to select items in the middle of real-time combat (and you will, since you WILL need to switch items during combat at one point or another), you need to be able to navigate a menu during combat. Since the second screen isn't available, this means having to pop up a menu during battle.

The way the game balances itself with collecting consumables and switching out items to accommodate different situations requires the use of a menu during battle.

If there'a any way they should handicap food use, it's by adding a cooldown time between uses. But honestly, cooked food - and in particular ideal meals - use up enough ingredients and add enough benefits that just constantly holding a bunch of mushrooms is already less optimal than having the best recipes.

Nickle

You sort of fish in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. Granted you're fishing for treasure and not fish, but it's essentially a similar idea and the Phantom Hourglass mechanics for this are impressively fun and require a good degree of patience and precision.
Phantom Hourglass had regular fishing, too.

ReyVGM

No, what's awful is that if you get low on life you can just pause in the middle of the fight, eat something, instantly get healed, and then just keep going. Where's the challenge? What's even the point of having to eat? It's just a pointless chore as it is. Not being able to do it while paused would make it much more meaningful. Or at least make it take a few seconds (after unpausing) for your life to refill instead of it being instant, so you have to be a bit careful.

No, that's a horrible thing to do, and a bad decision overall to include in this game. If you want a challenge, just don't pick up food, or don't cook food. Don't punish people that want to refill their energy on the spot with those ridiculous western RPG tropes.

People that want their games to have "realistic" bullshit like dying of hunger or exhaustion should go back to playing Ultima or Wizardry and stay the hell away from Zelda.

No, that's a horrible thing to do, and a bad decision overall to include in this game. If you want a challenge, just don't pick up food, or don't cook food. Don't punish people that want to refill their energy on the spot with those ridiculous western RPG tropes.

People that want their games to have "realistic" bullshit like dying of hunger or exhaustion should go back to playing Ultima or Wizardry and stay the hell away from Zelda.

But that completely removes any threat of dying from the game, if you know you can always pause it to heal up whenever you want, seeing as how you can hold as much food as you want. That makes it far easier than any previous Zelda game, which, judging by the direction of this game, seems highly unlikely.

I really think they're going to have some sort of fullness mechanic. You can only eat a certain amount of food items every X amount of minutes. Maybe potions would be doable even when full, but ideally they would be a bit harder to find or more expensive.

moolamb

But that completely removes any threat of dying from the game, if you know you can always pause it to heal up whenever you want, seeing as how you can hold as much food as you want. That makes it far easier than any previous Zelda game, which, judging by the direction of this game, seems highly unlikely.

I really think they're going to have some sort of fullness mechanic. You can only eat a certain amount of food items every X amount of minutes. Maybe potions would be doable even when full, but ideally they would be a bit harder to find or more expensive.

Let's face it, there's no real punishment for dying anyway aside from 1 or 2 minutes of backtracking...

ReyVGM

Then don't pick up food. No need to limit or prevent others from healing whenever they want as these types of games have allowed for 30 years now just because certain people want Zelda to be Souls-hard.

I'm all for changing the formula, but disabling healing while in combat is just bad.

In Skyward Sword I didn't use potions because the game felt too easy. If you think BotW is too easy, then don't pick up food.

Another thing, have you watched all the BotW gameplay footage? People have died a ton from regular enemies, something not seen since the NES Zeldas. I'd say this game has enough challege for a Zelda game.

Let's face it, there's no real punishment for dying anyway aside from 1 or 2 minutes of backtracking...

It's not really about the punishment as much as it's about making sure you're adequately prepared, which is one of the most fun parts of gaming to me.

Then don't pick up food. No need to limit or prevent others from healing whenever they want as these types of games have allowed for 30 years now just because certain people want Zelda to be Souls-hard.

I'm all for changing the formula, but disabling healing while in combat is just bad.

In Skyward Sword I didn't use potions because the game felt too easy. If you think BotW is too easy, then don't pick up food.

Another thing, have you watched all the BotW gameplay footage? People have died a ton from regular enemies, something not seen since the NES Zeldas. I'd say this game has enough challege for a Zelda game.

But... the bolded is completely untrue. That was exactly my point- Zelda has never let you just pause the game to use an unlimited number of healing items. That's why this would make this Zelda far easier than any previous ones. In previous Zelda games you can hold a certain amount of potions or fairies, and you could never hold hearts. Also I can't remember any Zelda game where you could use a potion or fairy while the game is paused. I thought you had to map it to a button and use it while playing, unless I'm forgetting something. Either way, eating unlimited amounts of food while paused is a completely new thing to the series.

I'm not one of those that wants Zelda Souls, and I'm very encouraged by what I've seen difficulty wise so far, with Steppe Talus and the Guardians.

But I don't think it's either fun or good game design when you give the player the ability to cheese through any fight by picking up 5,000 apples. If there was a (reasonable) limit to how much food you could carry then that would be okay, but so far there doesn't seem to be.

TheMoon

But... the bolded is completely untrue. That was exactly my point- Zelda has never let you just pause the game to use an unlimited number of healing items. That's why this would make this Zelda far easier than any previous ones. In previous Zelda games you can hold a certain amount of potions or fairies, and you could never hold hearts. Also I can't remember any Zelda game where you could use a potion or fairy while the game is paused. I thought you had to map it to a button and use it while playing, unless I'm forgetting something. Either way, eating unlimited amounts of food while paused is a completely new thing to the series.

I'm not one of those that wants Zelda Souls, and I'm very encouraged by what I've seen difficulty wise so far, with Steppe Talus and the Guardians.

But I don't think it's either fun or good game design when you give the player the ability to cheese through any fight by picking up 5,000 apples. If there was a (reasonable) limit to how much food you could carry then that would be okay, but so far there doesn't seem to be.

" the bolded is completely untrue."

:D

There is no unlimited number of healing items. There is a) a space limit b) the fact that you have to have picked something up at all c) knowingly filled your inventory space with healing items for maximum effect.

Also, you have 3 hearts. You can - as far as we know right now! - only extend the amount of hearts through cooking and only temporarily too.

Stop panicking please.

" the bolded is completely untrue."

:D

There is no unlimited number of healing items. There is a) a space limit b) the fact that you have to have picked something up at all c) knowingly filled your inventory space with healing items for maximum effect.

Also, you have 3 hearts. You can - as far as we know right now! - only extend the amount of hearts through cooking and only temporarily too.

Stop panicking please.

I'm absolutely not panicking, I said I'm loving everything I've seen so far (difficulty included), but that doesn't mean I can't express some concerns about things we don't yet know.

And are you absolutely sure there is a space limit? As far as we saw from the E3 demo materials and food stack indefinitely... and I don't think there was a limit on slots in those inventories. That might not be the case (and I even said that in my post) but we don't know at this point, and I'm just expressing concern over the possibility.

Also I just want to have a fullness mechanic because it would be fun and clever. And because it gives Link another charming animation, when he's far too full to move around at full speed.

TheMoon

I'm absolutely not panicking, I said I'm loving everything I've seen so far (difficulty included), but that doesn't mean I can't express some concerns about things we don't yet know.

And are you absolutely sure there is a space limit? As far as we saw from the E3 demo materials and food stack indefinitely... and I don't think there was a limit on slots in those inventories. That might not be the case (and I even said that in my post) but we don't know at this point, and I'm just expressing concern over the possibility.

Also I just want to have a fullness mechanic because it would be fun and clever. And because it gives Link another charming animation, when he's far too full to move around at full speed.

I'm too tired to look through footage right now but I don't recall items stacking. They'll definitely have slot limits. Would be crazy not to.

I'm too tired to look through footage right now but I don't recall items stacking. They'll definitely have slot limits. Would be crazy not to.

This thread is way too massive to search well, but I at least found one image showing how materials stack:

I can't find a screenshot of food but I thought that stacked too. Not that it matters, because apples and steaks are considered materials.

It's true that we don't know if there is an item slot limit, but you don't see an obvious limit for the materials and food screens like you do for the weapon and armor inventory screens.

I could've sworn there was some discussion about how each different inventory category worked in this thread but it might be in another one. It's been a few months!

Does anyone know if they have confirmed/ denied the existence of heart containers yet? I know there is the temporary heart mechanic with regards to food but I haven't seen anyone ask/ answer regarding being able to boost up your health permanently

TheMoon

Does anyone know if they have confirmed/ denied the existence of heart containers yet? I know there is the temporary heart mechanic with regards to food but I haven't seen anyone ask/ answer regarding being able to boost up your health permanently

no, hence my comment.

Air

Banned
I would imagine you can get heart containers during some of the trials. Either that, or they're hidden throughout the world. It'd be amazing if you couldn't though and your hearts were stuck at 3 + whatever you're able to eat that'd give you a boost

TheMoon

I would imagine you can get heart containers during some of the trials. Either that, or they're hidden throughout the world. It'd be amazing if you couldn't though and your hearts were stuck at 3 + whatever you're able to eat that'd give you a boost

would easily solve the difficulty problem. maybe a super rare food combo could let you have added hearts that stick around for a bit after being depleted so they can be filled up a few times before vanishing again.

Nickle

Also, it's important to remember that Aonuma wants the dungeons to be completable in any order. I personally believe that there will be a "correct" order to the dungeons like Zelda 1 or LTTP, as opposed to ALBW which didn't clearly ramp up in dungeon complexity. If the player wants to beat dungeon 5 first, then they'll need to do a ton of preparation by foraging for certain food and cooking the best recipes. Even then, there are only so many food slots available, and I doubt there will be many resources in the dungeons. Without hearts being available, players are going to go through a ton of food.

If you completely stock up on food every 30 minutes and try to take the easiest path through the game, you probably won't die much. I don't think it matters whether you have to stop and eat or not.

Edit: that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to an optional difficulty mode that adds a hunger meter or makes you eat like in Skyward Sword.

If you completely stock up on food every 30 minutes and try to take the easiest path through the game, you probably won't die much. I don't think it matters whether you have to stop and eat or not.

Exactly.

The biggest variable is not "does the game pause when you select food from the menu?"

It's "how much have you stocked up on food and optimized your inventory?"

It's like every other RPG in that respect - the difficulty scales depending on how much you grind.

Favorites subtitles for the Legeend of Zelda series.

10.Majora's mask

9.A Link Between Worlds

8.Breath of the wild

7.Phantom Hourglass

6.Wind wanker

5.Link's awakening

4.twilight princess

3.Ocarina of time

2.Link to the past

1.Skyward sword

would easily solve the difficulty problem. maybe a super rare food combo could let you have added hearts that stick around for a bit after being depleted so they can be filled up a few times before vanishing again.

When I go through the game, I'm probably going to forget that I can pause the menu in combat to heal up and thus end up having to heal after encounters anyway. Perhaps limiting healing at all in combat could be ideal since Zelda's combat is rather simple most of the time and isn't level focused like Dark Souls (Though potions are fine since they don't heal but instead augment abilities). Zelda never uses Hitscan enemies so its a perfect design for this sort of open world game.

I do want to know all your potential options in a given combat scenario. I'll probably lay that out sometime.

ReyVGM

I

Oh now I get your point. It's true, Zelda games never let you use a potion or fairy straight from the item screen.
Well, I have no problems with BotW using the old way, but the new way is just fine by me too. I plan on only picking up a few food items, and if the game gets too hard, then I'll just pick up more food or cook strong dishes.

But limiting the amount of stuff you can eat while paused would just be a cumbersome "solution" since people would just pause/unpause several times until their energy is filled.

Zelda never uses Hitscan enemies so its a perfect design for this sort of open world game.

I do want to know all your potential options in a given combat scenario. I'll probably lay that out sometime.

What are hitscan enemies? I'm guessing it's what it sounds like but still.

Oooh. I love stuff like that. I look forward to you laying it out.

OT: I don't mind whether you can pause and heal or not because I'm used to handicapping myself in Zelda games. As long as there's a good amount of enemies that can OHKO me throughout I'm cool.

Ok, let's lay out all the potential combat/movement options link can use in a single fight so far, assuming a reasonable maximum potential variety thanks to Quick select pausing the game and granting immediate access to every weapon on hand.

Every Weapon Type Type Link can get has a standard Attack, a charge Attack, a dash attack, a jump attack and presumably a paraglider attack. This makes for 15 potential options on their own.

Certain weapons have special properties like the Fire Rod and Korok leaf, which add 2 more options to use.

Link has access to unlimited bombs on a charge timer with two potential bombs out at a time. 1 more option.

Link can throw his on hand weapon for double potential damage. 1 more option.

Link has access to 5 different types of arrows (Normal, Fire, Ice, Bomb) with different properties and potential applications. 5 options.

Link can Dodge from side to side and backflip. This action does not have invincibility frames. 2 options.

A perfect Dodge enables access to a powerful attack string. Presumably best for taking out mobs of enemies all at once. 1 more option.

Shields can block some attacks with ZL. 1 more option.

Shields can parry most attacks by hitting "A" at the right time while holding ZL. This can disarm the enemy for a full combo. 1 more option.

Link can Shield Surf for a movement option in a specific direction like a long jump or a slide of sorts, can also shoot arrows from this position. 1 option.

Jumping off a cliff or utilizing the bow from paragliding activates slow motion. Presumably this can then be done from jumping while Shield Surfing with good timing, enabling trick shots while preserving momentum in a specific direction. 1 option.

If there is a nearby large metal object, Magnesis can be used to throw them around and defeat foes. 1 option.

Stasis can be used to launch large projectiles at enemies. 1 option

Cryonis can be used to separate groups of foes from one another in pools of water, or grant a strategic option by increasing the range of Link's AoE strikes from jump attacks and paraglider atttacks. 1 option.

Link can Drop bombs from paragliders and perform sneak attacks. 2 options.

Link can spin into enemies while Shield surfing. 1 option.

This makes for a grand total of 35 potential options that Link can have on hand when leaving the Great Plateau for combat. Some of these are potentially redundant (Fire rod and Fire Arrows have some overlap in properties) and some are based on some educated guesswork. I do think that combat variety is not terribly likely to be wanting compared to previous Zeldas assuming enemy variety is up to par. Considering that Aonuma and Co are not afraid of playing around with damage numbers this time, the combat is likely to end up the most engaging in the series even if it's definitely not as good as games like Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden which are much more combat focused.

Now, if the game outright prevented you from consuming health items in combat, it could lead to incredible moments quite naturally. I will probably end up playing this way out of habit.

TheMoon

What are hitscan enemies? I'm guessing it's what it sounds like but still.

the term hitscan comes from the shooter world.

it refers to weapons (projectile) that don't actually use in-game projectiles traveling across space towards their target (like a bullet flying towards someone) but more like a laser in that the second you hit the fire button, the weapon "hits" (registers damage) at the spot you are currently pointing at. classic shooters and light gun games used to work like that mostly. think doom and its ilk.

hitscan: http://imgur.com/qgI4ClL

not hitscan: https://imgur.com/VUkGOV2

like, a bow and arrow is typically not a hitscan weapon :)

13ruce

Banned
Hero mode will be glorious also hope the Ganondorf amiibo has the double damage function again. I would then only use the health improving items and not ever get a heart piece or container.

Oh now I get your point. It's true, Zelda games never let you use a potion or fairy straight from the item screen.
Well, I have no problems with BotW using the old way, but the new way is just fine by me too. I plan on only picking up a few food items, and if the game gets too hard, then I'll just pick up more food or cook strong dishes.

But limiting the amount of stuff you can eat while paused would just be a cumbersome "solution" since people would just pause/unpause several times until their energy is filled.

Well my potential solution would be that you could eat, say 5 food items and then Link becomes "full" and unable to eat more, or maybe his speed decreases. Then, after, say, 30 seconds of in-game time the "full" status is gone and you can once again pause to eat more.

It eliminates the possibility of cheesing through a boss fight by stocking up on 5000 apples, ya know?

TheMoon

Well my potential solution would be that you could eat, say 5 food items and then Link becomes "full" and unable to eat more, or maybe his speed decreases. Then, after, say, 30 seconds of in-game time the "full" status is gone and you can once again pause to eat more.

It eliminates the possibility of cheesing through a boss fight by stocking up on 5000 apples, ya know?

Again, there's no way you can carry that many of the same item :)

Typical item stack limits are set 99 in almost every game.

sinxtanx

there exist many alternatives for food consumption implementation, none of which are the right one

one alternative is for eaten food to have their effect spread out over time, so a cooked item might give you a total of five hearts over the next 30 ingame seconds or whatever

this alternative, and many others, are not what Nintendo chose for BotW

AdanVC

Do you think BOTW will launch simultaneously with Nintendo Switch in March? God I freaking hope so! The waiting game for this Zelda has been painfully long, man! Now I understand Final Fantasy fans waiting for FFXV lmao :'(

I think the January presentation is going to be a major blowout of BOTW info as well. It's necessary! I still can't believe we don't know crap about other characters and how they will look in the game, not even a random NPC character. Nada....

Again, there's no way you can carry that many of the same item :)

Typical item stack limits are set 99 in almost every game.

Which is almost just as bad.

Considering the aspect of gathering is a major gameplay element, I would assume they would want that to be a continuous process rather than something you can stock so much you can just forget about doing it for that long.

I'm guessing max on a stack of most consumables is 10-20

Top Bottom