• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Well apparently I'm an idiot for not being happy that the game might be delayed a week for the Wii U.

Well apparently I'm an idiot for not being happy that the game might be delayed a week for the Wii U.

It's fine to be upset- it is a bit of a sleazy business decision to be fair- but don't act like it's the worst thing in the world, or that it's Nintendo giving the middle finger to fans. It's just a week, you'll get over it.

And anyway, apparently GAME thinks it's coming out in March:

IZAWUHq.jpg

Source

Just like GameStop did. I don't understand why these companies would be confident enough to give this a March release date when the only thing Nintendo has said is 2017, but Laura Dale has proven to be very trustworthy. It's all pretty weird honestly.

That Link is about to fucking die.

I assume you're referring to the cuckoo, right?

The_Lump

Banned
That Link is about to fucking die.

Jesus! I didn't notice it at first :O
That's some dark stuff right there...

You're not an idiot at all. If I weren't buying a Switch I wouldn't be necessarily happy about it either. But the people saying they are never buying a Nintendo product again and are boycotting the game entirely, or seemingly having double standards* with regards to arbitrarily small game delays, or peddling the "Nintendo hates their customers, I hope Switch fails" BS etc etc are being rather silly. Imo.

*see ArcaneFreeze's magnificent post in the other thread calling them out: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=225370956

Nickle

You're not an idiot at all. If I weren't buying a Switch I wouldn't be necessarily happy about it either. But the people saying they are never buying a Nintendo product again and are boycotting the game entirely, or seemingly having double standards* with regards to arbitrarily small game delays, or peddling the "Nintendo hates their customers, I hope Switch fails" BS etc etc are being rather silly. Imo.

*see ArcaneFreeze's magnificent post in the other thread calling them out: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=225370956
Yeah I'm not boycotting them lol, I'm only a bit upset. It just pisses me off that people think I'm selfish for not "caring" about Nintendo's business success. If the only way for Nintendo to succeed is to treat their customers badly, then they need to get better people to run the company.

Sooo any chance we see more footage at the game awards? If I remember correctly Nintendo said during E3 that we would get more info on characters, story and stuff during the year?

Am I remembering this correctly or are they hoping everyone forgot?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo any chance we see more footage at the game awards? If I remember correctly Nintendo said during E3 that we would get more info on characters, story and stuff during the year?

I don't remember them saying that, but I might have missed it.

There's a chance, sure, but I wouldn't expect a blowout. I think Nintendo will keep the floodgates closed until January 12th. I expect something on the level of a character tease. Nintendo could also just keep their promotion to be about Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS, a new eShop title, or perhaps more talk of a previously announced 3DS game (Ever Oasis, Pikmin, Mario Sports Superstars, etc.).

ReyVGM

No, he said "in the future we'll learn more". He didn't say end of the year.
No point in showing a trailer at the game awards if the Switch's big reveal is so close to it.
IF they show something, I doubt it will be BotW related.

ReyVGM

Besides, they have shown new stuff. They showed Spectacle Rock, they showed stuff on the Switch trailer and the Game Center CX footage also showed new content.

ramparter

Banned
Thats not magnificent, thats misleading. Those people were never promised a simoultaneous release for TitanFall.

Just to be clear. I dont care if it comes a week or a month later and imo if someone cant wait for a week and feels forced to buy a Switch to play BoW day one, well he doesn't get my sympathy. And I dont think those people are that many.
But I fully disagree with Nintendo approach in this. It only hurts their image, maybe not big but it does. Doesnt make them look good. Plus its not worth it. A week of exclusivity for Zelda wont save the Switch. This strategy only makes them look small and cheap in my eyes.

Thats not magnificent, thats misleading. Those people were never promised a simoultaneous release for TitanFall.

Just to be clear. I dont care if it comes a week or a month later and imo if someone cant wait for a week and feels forced to buy a Switch to play BoW day one, well he doesn't get my sympathy. And I dont think those people are that many.
But I fully disagree with Nintendo approach in this. It only hurts their image, maybe not big but it does. Doesnt make them look good. Plus its not worth it. A week of exclusivity for Zelda wont save the Switch. This strategy only makes them look small and cheap in my eyes.

They actually were, the context post I posted before that clarified it all. Titanfall was originally slated for 7th gen consoles, development changed, official release had XBone and 360 were coming day and date with each other, then 360 news went silent and then got press released as "delayed by two weeks" went silent again then got delayed a second time now to over a month away from XBone release.

Horsefly

Who knows. Maybe thats why they delayed it supposedly and lied at e3 to keep the internet quiet.

That would be hilarious.

Personally I'd be fine without towns. a few little hamlets to house some quest bearing NPC would do fine. To mimic the town constructs of previous Zelda games would really go against the feeling of this 'realistic' world.

Mato

As I have mentioned before it is possible that ruins can be resurrected using a rune. For example the ruins in the plateau near the Temple of time might be a small town or village.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Who knows. Maybe thats why they delayed it supposedly and lied at e3 to keep the internet quiet.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if what was said about towns at E3 was not in the game at that point or a slight fib, so I'm not keeping any expectations.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if what was said about towns at E3 was not in the game at that point or a slight fib, so I'm not keeping any expectations.

They didn't say there weren't any town, someone thought there wasn't any towns for some reason. Bill corrected them, and aonuma answered "of course there are towns, it's zelda". Just the fact that there are rupees in the game basically implies there is some sort of civilization in the game. They really reinforced this during the demos.

As I have mentioned before it is possible that ruins can be resurrected using a rune. For example the ruins in the plateau near the Temple of time might be a small town or village.

Yep, I agree.
Maybe reviving the towns is the gimmick this time.
Iirc Aonuma said that he couldn't talk about towns yet cause it was too linked to the story.

TheMoon

The sheer notion of there not being any towns and people believing it is stupid to me. Like, what the hell lol. Zelda game is Zelda game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They didn't say there weren't any town, someone thought there wasn't any towns for some reason. Bill corrected them, and aonuma answered "of course there are towns, it's zelda". Just the fact that there are rupees in the game basically implies there is some sort of civilization in the game. They really reinforced this during the demos.

Right, I understand that. I meant that even though I know they said the towns were removed from the demo, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't implemented yet because of how development can go. But really, the larger point of what I'm saying is that what form these towns could take is entirely unknown (Is the world developed with towns scattered across the map? Is it post-apocalyptic so all we get are a few clusters of tents?), so until Nintendo shows them, I won't expect anything.

ReyVGM

This again. They never said towns were removed from the Plateau. Bill said that towns were not going to be ahown in the E3 demo.
To me is obvious that the Plateau is supposed to be devoid of towns. Although it would be awesome if there's a way to "revive it" or for the game to have town building elements. Drool...

Charamiwa

Banned
Speaking of town, I have a crazy dream for this game : since a lot of Zelda game since ALTTP has had a twist mid game, the one in BOTW would be to go back to the past 100 years prior, before everything went to shit. It would happen inside the temple of time like in OOT, you would pray to the Hylia statue or something. The 'oh shit' moment would be to open the door to the outside and just like that you're in the midst of the town market, full of life. You could even throw the music from the OOT market for good mesure. The contrast between present and past would be crazy.

It would serve as a plot device -to understand and experience what happened exactly to this world- and also to buy or earn cool weapons, armors or ingredients you couldn't find in the present. And you'll be able to go back and forth between present and past. To make it a little less unrealistic (I understand that's crazy to hope for a variant of a huge open world), the past stuff would be limited to the plateau.

That would be my dream game pretty much.

jnWake

Speaking of town, I have a crazy dream for this game : since a lot of Zelda game since ALTTP has had a twist mid game, the one in BOTW would be to go back to the past 100 years prior, before everything went to shit. It would happen inside the temple of time like in OOT, you would pray to the Hylia statue or something. The 'oh shit' moment would be to open the door to the outside and just like that you're in the midst of the town market, full of life. You could even throw the music from the OOT market for good mesure. The contrast between present and past would be crazy.

It would serve as a plot device -to understand and experience what happened exactly to this world- and also to buy or earn cool weapons, armors or ingredients you couldn't find in the present. And you'll be able to go back and forth between present and past. To make it a little less unrealistic (I understand that's crazy to hope for a variant of a huge open world), the past stuff would be limited to the plateau.

Or they could make it like Skyward Sword or The Wind Waker where they show you a land full of promise but you explore a super tiny area.

:(

ReyVGM

I don't want to over-dream, but it would be AWESOME if you could explore the Plateau before it was destroyed.
And hopefully it's not just a tiny building like in Wind Waker/Twilight Princess.

I have high hopes that when Nintendo said they didn't want to show towns because they are directly tied to the story, it meant that maybe towns are in the past or something timeshift stones-like related.

Nickle

A midgame twist is my most desired new feature, and I always thought you might be able to travel 100 years back in time just before the apocalypse. The Temple of Time would be a brilliant way to first time travel, or perhaps you can use the 6th rune to switch time periods whenever you want. Maybe there are multiple goddess statues throughout the world, and you have to activate their time travel capabilities with a certain item. I'd imagine that you won't be able to instantly switch between time periods at any time, that would be too graphically intensive.

Aonuma said that "saying goodbye" would be a key theme to the game, so it's possible that Link has to travel back in time to save the future, but can't prevent the first Calamity Ganon attack.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is no time travel, a key theme of the game is how wilderness has taken over the ruined world. Also, they would have to create a lot of new areas, and it might be boring to explore a different time period if half of the past overworld is just a recolored version of the future overworld.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

bumpkin

My theory is we'll get the game on Wii U in March (as previously expected), but it won't be out for Switch until June.

vid

The sheer notion of there not being any towns and people believing it is stupid to me. Like, what the hell lol. Zelda game is Zelda game.

Given how tightly linked the design of this game feels to the original, I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if there were no towns. Wouldn't have been bothered, either, it's okay for Zelda games to be different from one another.

...with that said, I'm very excited to see what forms towns will be taking. Maybe just small little outposts in the style of MGSV: The Phantom Pain?

eXistor

Maybe the timestones from Skyward Sword could make a return? You could go on a quest to find a timestone and place it in the middle of a ruined town and create a time bubble around it so that the town goes back to its original state, for as long as the timestone is active.

And remember, there's no story because this one random guy on Twitter said so even though the E3 trailer already showed quite a bit of story. But no, random Twitter guy who claims to have no inside info is more believable to a lot of people somehow.

Madame M

Banned
Yeah, it's official. I think Nintendo tweeted it out.

Yes, confirmed since E3. But they haven't been shown yet, so who knows what form they take in this game.

Will be sorely disappointed if none of the townspeople are named Error

Hope there are many towns like Zelda Adventure of Link

ReyVGM

A midgame twist is my most desired new feature, and I always thought you might be able to travel 100 years back in time just before the apocalypse. The Temple of Time would be a brilliant way to first time travel, or perhaps you can use the 6th rune to switch time periods whenever you want.

Oh god, could you imagine if one of the runes was a fucking TIMESHIFT STONE??

Theoretical mind blown!!

Given how tightly linked the design of this game feels to the original, I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if there were no towns. Wouldn't have been bothered, either, it's okay for Zelda games to be different from one another.

There are towns. Plural. That fake rumor was debunked the very same day it appeared and Bill/Aonuma has said explicitly that there are towns. PLURAL.

TheMoon

And remember, there's no story because this one random guy on Twitter said so even though the E3 trailer already showed quite a bit of story. But no, random Twitter guy who claims to have no inside info is more believable to a lot of people somehow.

I preoredered it again just so I could cancel the preorder again.

maxcriden

My theory is we'll get the game on Wii U in March (as previously expected), but it won't be out for Switch until June.
FWIW its now rumored to release on switch in June with the Wii U release following one week later. No offense intended but I habe a hard time picturing Nintendo risking decreasing Switch adoption at all but offering Wii U owners a way to play BOTW first and thus potentially partially disincentivizing them from picking up a switch at or soon after launch. We saw this same philosophy with TP's launch.

Hermii

Oh god, could you imagine if one of the runes was a fucking TIMESHIFT STONE??

Theoretical mind blown!!

There are towns. Plural. That fake rumor was debunked the very same day it appeared and Bill/Aonuma has said explicitly that there are towns. PLURAL.

Ever since E3 I had a theory that there will be timeshift stone equivalents in this game, and the towns will only exist in the past. Which is why they weren't shown.

Ever since E3 I had a theory that there will be timeshift stone equivalents in this game, and the towns will only exist in the past. Which is why they weren't shown.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for too. It would go along with the "two worlds" dynamic that most Zelda games have too. Just seems very, very ambitious for a world this big.

But hey, Emily Rogers says this game has been quoted as being "too ambitious" so you never know!

TheMoon

FWIW its now rumored to release on switch in June with the Wii U release following one week later. No offense intended but I habe a hard time picturing Nintendo risking decreasing Switch adoption at all but offering Wii U owners a way to play BOTW first and thus potentially partially disincentivizing them from picking up a switch at or soon after launch. We saw this same philosophy with TP's launch.

Nevermind the fact that they made a big deal out of saying both come at the same time. Also, why would you hold back the version for the new system. And the whole thing about the "not at Switch launch" having to do with QA ...why would that go any faster on Wii U :)

Bumpkin's theory has more holes than Wario's underwear.

Top Bottom