• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Reknoc

Quelaag wasn't too bad, I think she was the point when I stopped using pyromancy as a crutch and went all in. Worst part about her was the closest Bonfire. Hate Blighttown but what I hated more than it running worse than it looked were the infinite respawn wasps, fuck those guys, vespoid wannabe motherfuckers.

Spookie

It is insanely rammed. Exacerbated by the way the centre itself is so compact and most of the bars are very close together, something that's a plus the rest of the year.

No so much any more, Liverpools night life has died down a lot as of late. Most clubs which use to be wall to the wall packed, now struggle to fill the floor. Matthews street is still popular but it's mostly full of 40-50 year olds trying to recapture their youth.

SmokyDave

I reckon I've whittled it down to ten, but I need to add all the flowery comments. At the moment, I'm going with:

Forza Horizon 2
Minecraft
The Last Of Us: Left Behind
Rogue Legacy
FTL: Advanced Edition
Luftrausers
Tomb Raider: DE
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
The Crew
Forza 5 Racing GoTY

Noting them in in here so I don't forget.

RiggyRob

I reckon I've whittled it down to ten, but I need to add all the flowery comments. At the moment, I'm going with:

Forza Horizon 2
Minecraft
Rogue Legacy
Luftrausers
The Crew
Forza 5 Racing GoTY

b0wlHQp.gif

Forza Horizon 2
Minecraft
Rogue Legacy

Luftrausers
The Crew
Forza 5 Racing GoTY

so, er, like half of your list is from last year or prior

or is this some subtle commentary on the state of 2014

banofypie

Banned
I'd need a refresher on what came out this year, but my favourite game this year was Danganronpa 2 followed by the fan translation of Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Year of the VN.

No so much any more, Liverpools night life has died down a lot as of late. Most clubs which use to be wall to the wall packed, now struggle to fill the floor. Matthews street is still popular but it's mostly full of 40-50 year olds trying to recapture their youth.

I haven't really noticed it getting quieter when I've been out recently but admittedly it was 3-4 years ago I tried at New Years. I could never stand Matthew street when I was younger because it was full of violent chav ballbags and now because it's full of gropey middle-aged women as you said trying to recapture their youth.

SmokyDave

Shut your face RiggyRob. That's my comeback.

Disappointed the other 2 Senran Kagura games that came out this year aren't on your list lol
I haven't put enough time in with Bon Appetit, and there's no way I'm downgrading to the 3DS for Life and Hometown.

so, er, like half of your list is from last year or prior

or is this some subtle commentary on the state of 2014
Minecraft - Released 15th of October 2014.
Rogue Legacy - Released 30th of July 2014.
FTL: Advanced Edition - Released 3rd of April 2014.
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Released 31st of January 2014.
Forza 5 Racing GotY Edition - Released 16th of October 2014.

I don't subscribe to the 'must play all games immediately on the first platform they release on' mentality.

I always feel a sense of emptiness after NYE. It's like everyone in society is saying "be happy now! Drink drink drink!" and I just react badly to that kind of thing.

Dark Souls-wise I'm having trouble with Quelaag. I feel like I'm just not good enough to beat her and am thinking of trying Gears of War for a break from Soulsing. But at the same time I want to see what's next. Hmm.

Guinea pig-wise, I'm glad you asked! We love them very much. There's Dr Herbert Grey (or Grey for short) who is a little pudding. He likes basil, is fairly dominant, very very lazy and prefers mostly to sleep. His friend is Mr Frank Fransciscus Hubert Humbert Marcellus Duc d'Orange (or Orange for short) who is descended from French royalty. He's inquisitive, playful, easily frightened and very excitable. He also gets very excited when Grey dominates him and squeaks and popcorns everywhere. I feel I've bonded more with him than Grey and Emma's bonded more with Grey.

I am quite good at not fitting in with what everyone else is doing; going out and getting pissed (all in the name of a calendar date) is not my thing. I feel like I am 35 years older than I truly am but I am happy to stay in with my boyfriend and animal companions.

2014 has had some truly rotten moments with deaths being a prominent thing. I should be glad that 2014 is ending in that regard but I always fear what 2015 can and probably will bring.

Anyway onto Dark Souls:
Quelaag wasn't too bad for me. I fought her a few times to get a complete picture of the attacks and then took a break. Going in slightly cold to the fight helped; I think you can sometimes keep trying too much so a break might be a good thing for you.

The truly bestest names ever:
I don't know what to say about your Guinea pig's names!! "Orange for short" made me laugh I have to say. I don't think I have ever seen a name quite as long as Orange's.

Minecraft - Released 15th of October 2014.
Rogue Legacy - Released 30th of July 2014.
FTL: Advanced Edition - Released 3rd of April 2014.
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Released 31st of January 2014.
Forza 5 Racing GotY Edition - Released 16th of October 2014.

I don't subscribe to the 'must play all games immediately on the first platform they release on' mentality.

Neither do I, but it's still a game from 2013. Or 2009, in Minecraft's case. Those games are reflective of those years, not this one.

My personal feeling is the discussion of the best games to come out of 2014 gets a lot less interesting when people start bringing up ports and remasters and such. Remakes? I'm fine with, those are old games being redesigned to match modern sensibilities. Adding 60fps to the game? Ehh.

At some point we just need a "what were the best games you bought this year?" poll.

Reknoc

I haven't put enough time in with Bon Appetit, and there's no way I'm downgrading to the 3DS for Life and Hometown.

I actually like Burst more than Shinovi to play, so many little annoyances in the latter and a bit too focused on 1v1 battles.

Bon Appetit definitely deserves more time, my gosh, so lewd.

Spookie

I haven't really noticed it getting quieter when I've been out recently but admittedly it was 3-4 years ago I tried at New Years. I could never stand Matthew street when I was younger because it was full of violent chav ballbags and now because it's full of gropey middle-aged women as you said trying to recapture their youth.

I live on the Wirral, so our choice is Spoons, Beirut or Beerhaus. All of which are full of people I use to work with. I usually end up in the Hotel Cali since the staff are nice and most of the women aren't completely hideous. :(

When I do go to Liverpool, it's more noticeable these days because I'm not going every week and there has been a steep decline over the last 3-6 years. I remember going the Krazyhouse in my early 20's and it was a sweat shop from the sheer volume of mini-moshers in there. Even more trendy spots would refuse entry. Now they will let anyone in to make the place look more filled.

Kinda depressing. :(

SmokyDave

Neither do I, but it's still a game from 2013. Or 2009, in Minecraft's case. Those games are reflective of those years, not this one.

My personal feeling is the discussion of the best games to come out of 2014 gets a lot less interesting when people start bringing up ports and remasters and such. Remakes? I'm fine with, those are old games being redesigned to match modern sensibilities. Adding 60fps to the game? Ehh.

At some point we just need a "what were the best games you bought this year?" poll.
Those are the best games I played this year, that released this year. As far as I'm concerned, they're 2014 games. Interesting that you didn't mention Senran Kagura. A game I played more than 18 months ago when I imported the Japanese version. It's the only one on the list that I don't feel represents 2014.

I'd understand why people cared so much about the titles having never appeared before in any shape or form if GotY awards were restricted to new IPs. As it is, the top 10 will almost certainly be entirely made up of sequels so that angle falls apart.

Edit: Fuck, I forgot FRAMED. Something's gonna have to get the chop.

I actually like Burst more than Shinovi to play, so many little annoyances in the latter and a bit too focused on 1v1 battles.

Bon Appetit definitely deserves more time, my gosh, so lewd.
I'd like to play Burst, but I can't adequately convey how much I fucking hate using my 3DS. If they released a 'premium' model with better ergonomics and a screen from this decade, I'd be all over it.

Bon Appetit is, well, it's certainly something.

Those are the best games I played this year, that released this year. As far as I'm concerned, they're 2014 games. Interesting that you didn't mention Senran Kagura. A game I played more than 18 months ago when I imported the Japanese version. It's the only one on the list that I don't feel represents 2014.

I'd understand why people cared so much about the titles having never appeared before in any shape or form if GotY awards were restricted to new IPs. As it is, the top 10 will almost certainly be entirely made up of sequels so that angle falls apart.

Eh, sequels are new games. Highly iterative games, perhaps, but still actual new games. And new IP is far too often similarly iterative anyway - Watch Dogs being yet another open-world Ubisoft objective-a-thon, to give the most egregious example this year - so that wouldn't work either. If we just stuck to actual new games, like, gee, everyone except NeoGAF does, the conversation gets a lot easier and a whole lot more interesting.

(Also, you know, speak for yourself. So easy to make a list this year of new IP.)

I don't know anything about Senran Kagura. Trying to keep it that way.

RiggyRob

Edit: Fuck, I forgot FRAMED. Something's gonna have to get the chop.

I'd like to play Burst, but I can't adequately convey how much I fucking hate using my 3DS. If they released a 'premium' model with better ergonomics and a screen from this decade, I'd be all over it.

Bon Appetit is, well, it's certainly something.

Left Behind gon' get left behind.

Oh, I didn't notice that the GOTY thread isn't going to let remasters walk home with the Game of the Year.

Well, good. Be pretty embarrassing if it did.

SmokyDave

Eh, sequels are new games. Highly iterative games, perhaps, but still actual new games. And new IP is far too often similarly iterative anyway - Watch Dogs being yet another open-world Ubisoft objective-a-thon, to give the most egregious example this year - so that wouldn't work either. If we just stuck to actual new games, like, gee, everyone except NeoGAF does, the conversation gets a lot easier and a whole lot more interesting.

(Also, you know, speak for yourself. So easy to make a list this year of new IP.)

I don't know anything about Senran Kagura. Trying to keep it that way.
Perhaps we just have a different perspective on what these lists are about. I like listing the games I enjoyed playing more than reading the lists of other people. The lists every year are predictable as fuck. This year will be DA:I, Bayo 2, MK8, Far Cry 4, SoM, blah blah blah. Basically all the 'big' titles that people have been talking about all year anyway. There's nothing interesting going on until you get into the 20s and 30s.

Left Behind gon' get left behind.
Nah, that one's safe. Great DLC and great companion to the main game. Forza 5 'Racing GotY' will likeliest get chopped. It's good, but Horizon is much better.

jimbor

Banned
Winter is making me fat and I don't like it

I thought you lifted? in that case are you not merely bulking? Vegas holiday followed by Greek mother in law staying for the best part of a month followed by Christmas season has put me at my heaviest for some time. I'm not even bothering to try to lose weight this side of Christmas as I'm not exercising either.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I thought you lifted? in that case are you not merely bulking? Vegas holiday followed by Greek mother in law staying for the best part of a month followed by Christmas season has put me at my heaviest for some time. I'm not even bothering to try to lose weight this side of Christmas as I'm not exercising either.
I haven't been to the gym in almost three weeks and with my work I've accepted I'm just not going to till term resumes

Sad times, I was finally starting to improve my bench which had been pathetic the entire year

jimbor

Banned
I haven't been to the gym in almost three weeks and with my work I've accepted I'm just not going to till term resumes

Sad times, I was finally starting to improve my bench which had been pathetic the entire year

Think my chest has finally healed enough to go back to weights rather than bodyweight stuff only. Will see after Christmas.

8bit

Knows the Score
B5Dp6qOCYAAFG75.jpg

Never change, Glasgow.

--

In other news I've just received an email from headhunter who signs off as Ass & Titties Consultant. Either he's just experienced the worst auto-correct imaginable or is the victim of a rather cruel prank.

I live on the Wirral, so our choice is Spoons, Beirut or Beerhaus. All of which are full of people I use to work with. I usually end up in the Hotel Cali since the staff are nice and most of the women aren't completely hideous. :(

When I do go to Liverpool, it's more noticeable these days because I'm not going every week and there has been a steep decline over the last 3-6 years. I remember going the Krazyhouse in my early 20's and it was a sweat shop from the sheer volume of mini-moshers in there. Even more trendy spots would refuse entry. Now they will let anyone in to make the place look more filled.

Kinda depressing. :(

Yeah working in Birkenhead I can fully see how grim of a night out it would make!

Ah the K...I remember when I used to love it then I realised when I got older just how horrible it was but I didn't care cause I loved the music and my friends so much! These days I tend to stick with quieter Boozers like The Grapes and The Ship & Mitre though I'm quickly becoming a bit of a fan of Brewdog since it opened.

Spookie

Yeah working in Birkenhead I can fully see how grim of a night out it would make!

Ah the K...I remember when I used to love it then I realised when I got older just how horrible it was but I didn't care cause I loved the music and my friends so much! These days I tend to stick with quieter Boozers like The Grapes and The Ship & Mitre though I'm quickly becoming a bit of a fan of Brewdog since it opened.

Where do you work in Birkenhead? :s

I'd love to go somewhere quieter but my mates are very much of the notion that if you're going out you need to go somewhere loud to chat up the ladies and act like a prick. *shakes fist at cloud*

Where do you work in Birkenhead? :s

I'd love to go somewhere quieter but my mates are very much of the notion that if you're going out you need to go somewhere loud to chat up the ladies and act like a prick. *shakes fist at cloud*

I work in an office down by the River about 10-15minutes walk from the main shopping area. Yeah I got married pretty young (22) so I didn't spend too long craving the pick up environment except for flirting with girls just because it's fun sometimes. 10 years later most of my mates have caught up on the marriage/long term relationship front so they're not that arsed either.

Hystzen

B5Dp6qOCYAAFG75.jpg

Never change, Glasgow.

--

In other news I've just received an email from headhunter who signs off as Ass & Titties Consultant. Either he's just experienced the worst auto-correct imaginable or is the victim of a rather cruel prank.

Maybe that is secretly the job he is recruiting you for

Woah liverpool gaf'ers! this is sick!

Liverpools night life has changed it's form drastically in the last few years. So many little bars have opened (Salt Dog Slims, Motel/Death Row Diner, Some Place) that's normally where i'd go on a night out in town. I prefer that than a club or something that's full of Quiffed up, shiney shoed, arm tattoed with stars and angels, skinny jean wearing Joey essex wanna be's.

highlights of today include: estate agent letting us install fibre optic super broadband from the future and having a milkshake for lunch, paid for by my RM.

i can't remember what games i played this year but let's just say that my list would be entirely xcom. all the way down.

Liverpools night life has changed it's form drastically in the last few years. So many little bars have opened (Salt Dog Slims, Motel/Death Row Diner, Some Place) that's normally where i'd go on a night out in town. I prefer that than a club or something that's full of Quiffed up, shiney shoed, arm tattoed with stars and angels, skinny jean wearing Joey essex wanna be's.

Not a fan of Salt Dogs, though the Pork Chop Slims restaurant that opened next door is a total beast! Quite like Whiskey Business at the other end of town and a few of the other new bars, if only so many of them didn't get clogged with Hipsters :(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
highlights of today include: estate agent letting us install fibre optic super broadband from the future and having a milkshake for lunch, paid for by my RM.

i can't remember what games i played this year but let's just say that my list would be entirely xcom. all the way down.

Im looking forward to X com. I think I'm gonna try Gears of War once I've finished with a play through of Dark Souls. If I ever finish.

Congratulations btw! Whereabouts in Manc are you gonna be?

(Need some Mancs in here, it's gone very Scouse all of a sudden 😄)

Im looking forward to X com. I think I'm gonna try Gears of War once I've finished with a play through of Dark Souls. If I ever finish.

Congratulations btw! Whereabouts in Manc are you gonna be?

(Need some Mancs in here, it's gone very Scouse all of a sudden 😄)

gears of war is super fun. especially 3. i would even suggest skipping 1 & 2 for 3, if you hadn't already bought it. still, hope you enjoy!
i am going to be in ancoates i believe, badby close apparently.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm from Birmingham. But I don't think I have a Brummie accent at all. But London is much better.
Welp, that just pissed over my last post, heh. I honestly thought I was the only Brummie here in BritGAF. I've seen a few members out in OT and Gaming Side from here (and other parts of the Midlands) but I don't think they post in here. Couple of us are trying to sort out a mini-meet/pub crawl.

But, aye, I agree for the most part, depending on where you go.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
gears of war is super fun. especially 3. i would even suggest skipping 1 & 2 for 3, if you hadn't already bought it. still, hope you enjoy!
i am going to be in ancoates i believe, badby close apparently.

Oh dear. We live in Ancoats. I'll keep my eyes open for a bearded man. If you ever see a short (sorry, petite), scruffy girl with messy hair who looks miserable that's me.

Aw c'mon man don't be like that. Us Northerners are just like you, we just pay less for stuff ;)

Ignore the Southerner. They always do this. London London Rah Rah Rah.

Son Of D

I honestly think the fact that I'm not the only one here from Devon is surprising. This is the first place online where I've seen someone else from Devon. I know there's a user from Exeter on Gaming side, but he's not in BritGaf.

Spookie

I work in an office down by the River about 10-15minutes walk from the main shopping area. Yeah I got married pretty young (22) so I didn't spend too long craving the pick up environment except for flirting with girls just because it's fun sometimes. 10 years later most of my mates have caught up on the marriage/long term relationship front so they're not that arsed either.

Bloody hell I think you work like 4 minutes away from my flat. I'm just off Hamilton Square. It's like an Oasis in a sea of shit.

My mates are beginning to do the same but thankfully we're all awful human beings and don't want to be stuck in with our GF's all weekend. ;D

Didn't Salt Dogs recently have it's licence revoked due to some issue with people taking a tonne of beak? See every time I go somewhere like that, it is full of Joey's. That and the queue for the bar is long enough that you sober up between drinks. :(

Nay, I'll stay in the Hotel Cali/Revolver for the time being. I know most of the staff and people in there and I can get utterly shit faced before crawling 5 minutes up the road to my flat. :D

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Love Affleck's man, it's awesome. I could spend a day in that place, no problem. Sammy got a lush coat there at the weekend, she was in her element, I basically had to drag her out of there!

I need a makeover breh. Gonna try go for a big shop there soon.

Top Bottom