• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Reknoc

Man I know the whole GAF hivemind is ban able but every year there is game you not allowed be negative about. We had last of us, dark souls and this year bayonetta2. Soon mention a fault about them get jumped on by everyone and this year the conspiracy that Bayonetta won't win GOTY because gaming journalists don't like Wii U etc. maybe your darling game is not good as you think

They must be the same people upset about that Order preview, or anyone who has even the slightest negative thing to say about Destiny.

The_Poet

Banned
Still haven't finished the first one so I have no opinion on Bayo2. Still in its wrapper. Busy playing Smash now.

But seriously, if no outlet mentions Love Live School Idol Festival then I think that is the true confirmation that the press is full of people with terrible opinions and they should all be made to publicly hang their heads in shame.

I googled it.

It looks creepy.

I closed the tab.

SmokyDave

Just be sure to fuse Mara to go with the scantily clad blonde.
q11S9FW.png

I'm not too familiar with JRPGs but Persona 4 was a joy.
Missed this post. Woah, the cock chariot is from P4?!

I'm going to find and equip that ASAP.

They must be the same people upset about that Order preview, or anyone who has even the slightest negative thing to say about Destiny.
I thought everyone hated Destiny?

The Order is weird. It's obviously going to be a fairly generic TPS with flashy graphics. Typical launch year fodder. Why it's become some raging epicenter of gaming conflict is beyond me. I guess the beast needs to feed.

Hystzen

People defend and like Destiny lol

Eh maybe I'm not super invested in games like people seem to be. If I don't like a game I avoid threads about it (unless it DmC because it fun as fuck to shut down people who spout the same people hated it due to hair bullshit) why go into threads saying it shit pointless got better things to do with my life and time

Reknoc

I thought everyone hated Destiny?

Yea, but those that don't get really defensive over anything even the most legit criticism (hey it has like 12OTs so it must be the best ever)

The Order is weird. It's obviously going to be a fairly generic TPS with flashy graphics. Typical launch year fodder. Why it's become some raging epicenter of gaming conflict is beyond me. I guess the beast needs to feed.

Not to make it about consolewarslol bullshit (even though I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it's about) my guess as to why it's getting so much attention (and fervent defense force "devs gotta eat") is because of who is co-developing it.

Vashetti

Banned
Man I know the whole GAF hivemind is ban able but every year there is game you not allowed be negative about. We had last of us, dark souls and this year bayonetta2. Soon mention a fault about them get jumped on by everyone and this year the conspiracy that Bayonetta won't win GOTY because gaming journalists don't like Wii U etc. maybe your darling game is not good as you think

Bayonetta is a crock of shit.

The dialogue and voice acting is the most cringeworthy I have ever heard in a game.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Gaming audiences seem in many cases to be incapable of nuanced thought. Everything is either perfect or abominable and opinions are shoved out onto messageboards as if they are fact.

For what it's worth -

Destiny - I was well and truly addicted to it for a good month but now it just doesn't appeal anymore. It has great shooting mechanics, art and sound (the sound design especially), but the grinding mechanics are exploitative and seem built around ensuring addiction rather than fun.

The Order - gameplay wise, it's pretty obviously going to be a cover shooter with lots of cutscenes and QTEs. There might be some survival horror in the latter half of the game too. The art design looks beautiful and it's the kind of thing I'd want to see in a cinema if it was a film.

Dark Souls - yes, it's wonderful and probably one of the best games ever. But the framerate dips and camera are pretty horrible (the camera has caused me death on a number of occasions) and I'm not sure it needs to be quite as oblique as it does (although I understand that it's a design decision). I also get that for some people who don't really enjoy learning from a fail state or tension in games it's just not very much fun. I don't think that makes them less "hardcore" or whatever.

I can't comment on things like FIFA and driving games because it's just an alien world to me. They might be good or not, I just can't say. The graphics these days with those types of games are getting creepily realistic, though.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

My preference is for art and sound design, environmental storytelling and much challenge in a game. I can't abide most videogame scripts and I don't understand (a) why anyone would want to play a busywork game and (b) why anyone would want to play a game where skill gates are replaced with time served. But that's my personal taste. I grew up playing the C64, Amiga, Megadrive and SNES, so it's pretty obvious that I'm influenced by those types of game designs. It doesn't mean that games like Persona 4 Golden, Dragon Age etc are bad, I just get grumpy after sinking hours into something I don't really enjoy and constantly trying to look for things I like. It's pretty obvious that an awful lot of people have a deep emotional connection to things like FF7 and P4G and that they have utter mountains of content and are well put-together for fans of that genre.

That's the only time that I'll be balanced about JRPGs.

Balance and stuff.

I just read that through again (proof-reading is a habit) and noticed a few grammatical errors and that I use the phrase 'pretty obvious' quite a lot. I'll ask someone in my team to revise it. Kind regards

Oh crap, while I'm taking a break from work:

Bayonetta 2 - from a mechanical perspective, it's near-perfect (controls, exploitation of the core gameplay device (witch-time), gradual difficulty increases, variations on a theme, general variety of encounters...). But it has the worst (and I would say actually offensive in the assumption that that is how people speak) English accent I've ever heard. From Google, I understand they hired a Korean actor. Why was this? Also, after 30 hours of great fun, I don't feel compelled to complete Infinite Climax and I never found the game to be compulsively addictive. I understand that it's been released at a time when there's an absence of games like this about, but over the long-term I've had more (and purer) fun with MK8.

The 'hardcore' fans of certain games can be insufferable. They tear you to shreds however articulate you are with your reasoning for not liking the game.

I really wish I could like any game enough to defend it to the hilt.

Bayonetta is a crock of shit.

The dialogue and voice acting is the most cringeworthy I have ever heard in a game.

I always thought the engine is wasted on the setting and characters. It is a thoroughly nauseating game in this regard. As an action game it is hard to find one that comes close but I cannot look past the aforementioned reasons.

Son Of D

I really enjoy Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 is probably my favourite game of the year but I agree that the fanbase is insufferable. It's embarrassing if you ask me.

But if I vented about insufferable fanbases I'd probably piss some people off in here.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I really enjoy Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 is probably my favourite game of the year but I agree that the fanbase is insufferable. It's embarrassing if you ask me.

But if I vented about insufferable fanbases I'd probably piss some people off in here.

Hahahaaha. I have a suspicion you might be referring to me!

Bioshock Infinite is 3 quid then on Games on Demand. Thats pretty cheap.

SmokyDave

Not to make it about consolewarslol bullshit (even though I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it's about) my guess as to why it's getting so much attention (and fervent defense force "devs gotta eat") is because of who is co-developing it.
It's Ready At Dawn, isn't it? (are we still talking about The Order?).

You'd better not be referring to The Disciples of the Playstation Vita™ Portable Entertainment Solution. TDotPVPES are not to be fucked with.

I'm not really sure why people put such a stock in 'their' game winning a GOTY award. Surely you enjoying it is enough?

RiggyRob

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc) - Manchester
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? - Student
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? - To become a three century man (born in the 20th, lived in the 21st, died in the 22nd)
Favourite daytime TV show? - It's all shite
Fish or chips? - Chips
Daddy or chips? - Eh? Chips again
What's your tipple of choice? - Jaipur
Favourite party snack? - Pretzels
Who is the best bald person? - Ben Kingsley
What's your disappointing claim to fame? - Working on an VR Archery game
What's your perfect Sunday? - Lie in, bacon butties, playing games and watching footy
Did you threaten to overrule him? - Yes
Did you threaten to overrule him? - No
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? - Maybe

---

God, applying for graduate jobs is a fucking ball-ache.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Gaming audiences seem in many cases to be incapable of nuanced thought.

NO YOU ARE

Everything is either perfect or abominable and opinions are shoved out onto messageboards as if they are fact.

That's true.

With the former, I find that the internetz tends to act as a lens and amplify things. Where in conversation someone might say "yeah, Absolution is a bit pants", on ze interwebz someone might write "FUCK THIS BOLLOCKS" 2,500 times. I know I have.

I think the latter comes down to a mixture of poorly chosen words as much as an unhealthy belief in the value of their opinions.

It's worth 3 quid for the music if nothing else.

That Beach Boys Barber Shop Quartet is beautiful.

Symphonia

Banned
Am I being horribly naive?
Not at all. GOTY is a personal thing so, really, if you played it and thouroughly enjoyed it, and want to vote it GOTY, then that's all that should matter. Not on GAF, though, no. Your choice has to meet the requirements of the rest of the forum before your opinion is considered valid. But, eh, it's like trying to fight a losing battle so I just gave up.

BAYONETTA 2 FTW

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Am I being horribly naive?

Nah. Cy just gets a harder time than everyone else because he's put his foot in it in the past.
NO YOU ARE

That's true.

With the former, I find that the internetz tends to act as a lens and amplify things. Where in conversation someone might say "yeah, Absolution is a bit pants", on ze interwebz someone might write "FUCK THIS BOLLOCKS" 2,500 times. I know I have.

I think the latter comes down to a mixture of poorly chosen words as much as an unhealthy belief in the value of their opinions.

That Beach Boys Barber Shop Quartet is beautiful.

Exactamundo.

---

Also, my k/d on Titanfall is something like 7.5 kills to 1 death and 2.9 to 1 death vs players. Is that normal, Titanfall players? It's very nice. Makes it fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only "bad" result I can see happening for GotY is Last of Us winning simply because I think a new game should be top dog. It being in the top 10 or something I don't mind.

banofypie

Banned
Great! I hope it goes well. You deserve it.

It's one of two options I have right now, one of which isn't even a guarantee and isn't likely any time soon, which means waiting for something that isn't 100%.

No time like the present, eh?

You kids could all learn something from me.

Reknoc

The only "bad" result I can see happening for GotY is Last of Us winning simply because I think a new game should be top dog. It being in the top 10 or something I don't mind.

Didn't The Last of Us's DLC win Gamespots PS3 goty award? Like, actual DLC, I think that's the first time any GotY award rubbed me the wrong way.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It's one of two options I have right now, one of which isn't even a guarantee and isn't likely any time soon, which means waiting for something that isn't 100%.

No time like the present, eh?

You kids could all learn something from me.

Probably! I had to be drunk and walk past Emma 3 times before I could talk to her!!

Also BGBW, do you not think Nintendo might get a good showing? I hope it's Mario Kart 8, just to give poor old EAD a sign that their efforts are appreciated.

I do feel like the internet is a tough place to have an unpopular opinion about a certain game. I usually try and understand people opinions on games I don't like with a few exceptions (I really struggled with games I worked on while in the Industry cause they were mostly unrelentingly bad games!) .

To give a break down of the current games I think people are choosing as GOTY candidates. 'cause I feel like it:

Shadow of Mordor: Didn't mind it at all until I got Sandbox-Fatigue, combat was very Batman but it had the same limited variety that both the Arkham and the AC games suffer from.

Destiny: I was hooked for maybe 2 weeks until I was mid-20s then got extremely bored and haven't been back.

Bayonetta 2: Loved the first and I've picked up the special edition with both in for the Wii U as a Christmas treat for myself. Looking forward to it since I've only had the U for about a month.

FIFA 15: Never been a football fan but not really sure how a yearly franchise entry could ever be a serious GOTY contender.

Driveclub: No. Just no. Not after that launch and not for a few other reasons.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Didn't The Last of Us's DLC win Gamespots PS3 goty award? Like, actual DLC, I think that's the first time any GotY award rubbed me the wrong way.
Well my long term beefs have been 1) Soundtracks of the Year going to games that are just licensed music like Rock Band. If you want to rate non videogame music get a job on the panel for the Brit Awards. 2) The absence of handheld games.

Also BGBW, do you not think Nintendo might get a good showing? I hope it's Mario Kart 8, just to give poor old EAD a sign that their efforts are appreciated.
I think Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros have a better chance than Bayo2 at winning awards for Nintendo.

Reknoc

Well my long term beefs have been 1) Soundtracks of the Year going to games that are just licensed music like Rock Band. If you want to rate non videogame music get a job on the panel for the Brit Awards. 2) The absence of handheld games.

I don't really care about them either way but like, surely you could have chosen a full game that released on the PS3 this year, it's not like it was a fucking drought, you probably could have given whatever PS4 game you gave GotY to the PS3 version or like I dunno just go "yea well I guess there's this tales of xillia 2 or whatever the fuck, that'll do"

On the 2nd point though, at least no handheld stuff means I don't have to start shit when no one gives Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus GotY

Volotaire

I never paid great attention to these awards in the past few years since most judges for each publication could not have played every game, past a certain quality threshold, in a year.

Reknoc

These dark cold journeys home right put me in the mood for some Fleet Foxes, so folky you can practically hear the beards.

<imagine YouTube link spam here but I'm on my phone making it totes awk>

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Can somebody be sad for me and the fact the man is trying to extort me out of my hard earned taxpayers money?????

These dark cold journeys home right put me in the mood for some Fleet Foxes, so folky you can practically hear the beards.

<imagine YouTube link spam here but I'm on my phone making it totes awk>

Oh the subject of dark cold journeys, I just cycled home through Richmond Park, and without any moonlight at all it was a lot darker than I had anticipated. Nothing quite like it to make you realise how poor the lights on your bike are! I couldn't even see the side of the road a foot away.

No Fleet Foxes though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Cross-posting from the GOTY thread because nobody ever reads anybody else's post. Bayonetta 2, Wolfenstein and Dragon Age didn't make the cut. All are good, but just haven't stayed with me. Please, please, please share yours! I want to read them!!

1. Mario Kart 8 ; Mario Kart 8 is just like the essence of what makes Nintendo games great distilled into one handy package - attention to detail, solid and proven mechanics, beautiful art and sound design and a sense of lightness, colour and fun in every single aspect of it. It plays so well and it's just so "smooth" - not just in the 60fps graphics, but in the way it plays, the way the online works, the unlocking system, the time trials...everything just works and gets out of your way so you can get on with having fun.

2. Titanfall; I've only played 4 hours of it so far, but that 4 hours feels like 40 hours of action condensed ten-fold. The game is so preposterously chaotic and so damn fast my heart is in my mouth from the moment I drop into the warzone. For all of its flaws (the campaign is pointless and, no matter how well designed the game is, there's not £50 of content here), each match is just joyous mayhem from start to finish. It's such a shame that it's not gained the traction it deserves.

3. Destiny ; I can't imagine ever playing it again and I still feel that it's an exploitative mess, but for 150 hours I lived, breathed, slept Destiny. Even at work I couldn't stop thinking about playing it. I feel slightly bitter now towards the game and the attitude that Bungie have towards it - I even feel conflicted about putting it in here, but the way it addicted me was been like nothing else. I began to understand how MMO players sometimes disappear from real life in favour of the 'other place'

4. Counterspy ; A simple and fun take on PS1-era stealth games with a wonderful Pixar-esque aesthetic. it's only short, but I replayed it four or five times to unlock all of the various toys the game gives the player. The barely above-average reviews it got were deserved (it's glitchy, it's shallow and there's a lack of variety), but I had a lovely six or so hours with it over the course of three weeks of lunchbreaks and it always sent me back to work with a smile.

5. Metal Gear Solid 5 : Ground Zeroes ; Length isn't everything. I may not have enjoyed replaying the side missions too much, but the base mission was atmospheric, eerie and intense. The way - and the extent to which - it indirectly referenced Guantanamo Bay was braver than anything else I've played this year and gave the mission an intensity and relevance far beyond the other Metal Gear Solid games I've played. It looked beautiful, too, and had the best use of a song in a game I've seen this year (or maybe ever).

Honorable Mentions

x. The Last of Us: Remastered ; It doesn't feel right listing this in the main list, but the remastered version was my first encounter with the game. It's ever-so-slightly overrated, but I've never played a game before with such an absorbing and moving "cinematic narrative". The gameplay - while secondary - isn't half bad either.

x. Fez; Again it doesn't feel right listing this in the main list, but Fez is my favourite game, ever. I won't go into it in detail as everybody already has done that for me, but it's a true masterpiece and has stayed with me like no other game has.

Reknoc

Oh the subject of dark cold journeys, I just cycled home through Richmond Park, and without any moonlight at all it was a lot darker than I had anticipated. Nothing quite like it to make you realise how poor the lights on your bike are! I couldn't even see the side of the road a foot away.

No Fleet Foxes though.

Fleet Foxes would have been required listening in that situation. Their harmonic tones would take my mind of the possibly of being mugged and killed in the dark.

Fleet Foxes would have been required listening in that situation. Their harmonic tones would take my mind of the possibly of being mugged and killed in the dark.

I had... mclusky.

If I'm going to get mugged and killed in the dark, I may as well do it with a smile on my face

Top Bottom